Is Thailand's Low English Proficiency A Barrier To Economic Expansion?

webfact

Endure,

Actually I believe we agree. It's about the money and the education it can buy. That's why I criticise the writer of the OP for his moaning about 'why Thailand isn't more like Singapore'. The additional problem I point out is that not all those who are in positions to send money that way would actually *want* Thailand going in that direction.

The jobs ARE there, though- it's just that the people who deserve them most can't get them for all the other reasons discussed, because it takes money to get going up that hill. Mostly those English-related jobs get done by those who are either highly overqualified or highly underqualified for them, or by non-Thais.

In fact, given the dismal performance of so many of the richer kids in English, Thailand might do better to promote it (financially too, of course) as a path for talented country kids who are actually smart... but that would mean the country was rewarding performance without regard to status, and this isn't what the government here has really been all about for a looooooong time.....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a point, of course. I don't speak a lick of Chinese, but just looking at the trends...particularly within the region. Do you know what is the most spoken language on the planet, purely by numbers? Mandarin, of course.

Let's be honest.. in the Best of All worlds, the more languages you know the Better...

I agree with this statement. Simply put, knowing multiple languages other than your own is ALWAYS an advantage. Which language, of course, is debatable. Yes, English is the language of commerce internationally, but I think many on TV tend to overstate the importance of English proficiency as it pertains to the day-to-day lives of ordinary Thais. It is certainly not some magic pill--if the Thais were to overnight be as proficient in English as, say, the Filipinos, do you really think it will have any sort of economic impact? Again, look at the PI. Heck, the USA is a land filled with native English speakers and they've got some serious economic and political problems.

Speaking of learning languages, I'll say this: It is more advantageous for an expat living in Thailand to learn Thai, than for a Thai person in Thailand to learn English. Yet, many expats aren't making the effort. Go figure.

Heck, the USA is a land filled with native English speakers and they've got some serious economic and political problems.

The U.S. economy is 14 trillion dollars. The entire EU only has 16 trillion and the next "largest single" country (China) has 5.8 trillion. Think about that for a second. The U.S. at its worst is still far more affluent than Thailand (tiny 500 billion gdp) at its best and any other country for that matter. English is the lingua franca of the world whether you like it or not. Try to transact business internationally without being able to speak english. It's impossible.

It is more advantageous for an expat living in Thailand to learn Thai, than for a Thai person in Thailand to learn English. Yet, many expats aren't making the effort. Go figure.

It's advantageous if you're trying to assimilate within the society otherwise it's fairly pointless. Thai as a language is extremely limited and the effort you put into learning it could be better spent on a far more economically and socially valuable language like Spanish for instance. It's not to say that I regret learning the Thai I have learned but it's definitely not worth the time unless you're tied to the country economically or socially.

Edited by wintermute

The U.S. economy is 14 trillion dollars. The entire EU only has 16 trillion and the next "largest single" country (China) has 5.8 trillion. Think about that for a second. The U.S. at its worst is still far more affluent than Thailand (tiny 500 billion gdp) at its best and any other country for that matter. English is the lingua franca of the world whether you like it or not. Try to transact business internationally without being able to speak english. It's impossible.

You missed my point. Firstly, I've gone on record many times to say that the USA is far and away the only superpower left in the world. No one's even close, not even China (for the time being). Having said that, individual Americans aren't exactly doing all that well. Did you know that nearly half of Americans couldn't come up with $2,000 in 30 days? Freakin 60,000 baht! The American model is broke and any effort to emulate it is probably unwise.

It's advantageous if you're trying to assimilate within the society otherwise it's fairly pointless. Thai as a language is extremely limited and the effort you put into learning it could be better spent on a far more economically and socially valuable language like Spanish for instance. It's not to say that I regret learning the Thai I have learned but it's definitely not worth the time unless you're tied to the country economically or socially.

There is absolutely no reason for, say, a tourist to learn Thai. But for a long term expat, many, many good reasons to learn. It goes to quality of life. I'll just give you one--meeting normal Thai women. If I was confined to dating only skanks who's only claim to fame is they speak a bit of English, I wouldn't be dating in Thailand.

It's about time Thai People joined the Real World, where they can learn to communicate with other People from other countries and understand and respect other Cultures... Even being able to identify a Country on a map would be nice... Being able to identify Thailand on a map would be nicer!!!

CS

The "real world?" Amusing little topic, but I'll bite. Let me play Devils Advocate a bit. What are the two most advanced economies in Asia? Japan and South Korea, arguably. Neither seem to be bent on learning English (unless they're playing on the LPGA tour). Having lived in both places, I can say their English are generally worse than the Thais. How about the other spectrum? What has English proficiency done for the perennial basketcases Myanmar and the Philippines? Should Thailand aspire to be like the PI? LOL. Oh, I left out Singapore, HK, and Taiwan. Intentionally, of course. The Chinese want to learn English because it goes towards their long term agenda of world domination. Hey, if you're going to have a bunch of farangs working for you, gotta learn English! (or at least how to say "shut up and get back to work!"). Seriously, if I had to advise a Thai family on what second language their kids should learn, I'd say learn Chinese.

When the Chinese begin opening factories and other businesses in Thailand, learning Chinese will make sense. I don't see a labor shortage in China where they need to import Chinese speaking Thais. You are correct when you state that the Japanese have low English proficiency but Japan does not need foreign investments as much as Thailand does. My girlfriend's sister (B.A. minor in English) worked for a Thai company that was bought out by a Japanese company. The Japanese were no way going to learn Thai so they offered six months free English classes before anyone was made redundant as the employees were skilled in every way but in communicating with their new employers. The sister now works at a Thai company for less pay even though she is very good at what she does; she just didn't get serious about learning English. Many foreign companies have enough trouble finding qualified managers; much less qualified managers fluent in Thai. This is a barrier to a country that need foreign investment.

In Dallas there are many Thai restaurants that prefer to hire Thais as servers. These girls come from well-to-do families and have B.A. degrees and are in the U.S. to learn English so they can work in banks etc. in Thailand. I've made friends with a couple of them and when not in school, they live, eat, and share apts. with other Thais and speak Thai 90% of the time they are here. I visited one girl two years after she returned to Thailand and was shocked at how much her English skills had deteriorated. My girlfriend used to work at a Sukumvit Traditional Massage shop and, even thought she has a ninth grade education, her English is better than my Thai restauranteur friend who has lived in Dallas longer than twenty five years. IMHO Motivation is what is keeping Thais from learning English. I have read many reasons in this thread about WHY there is little or no motivation to learn English and they are all correct. Large neighborhoods in Dallas have almost no spoken or written English and the Mexican immigrants who live in those areas are consigned to housekeeping, day labor, and construction jobs. The thing I like best in Bangkok is that the French HAVE to speak English to be understood by anyone.

The government in Thailand wishes to keep the general population undereducated so they can fill them full of the endless rhetoric to the end of time.

Yes, the Thais are lacking in the ability to lose face because that is what they are taught. They learn what they are taught but the education system is so lacking......................

A second language is always helpful. I believe that many of the schools have English classes but after talking with my Thai friends I think it is not emphasized enough and they have told me that many Thai people can speak English but don't because they are shy.

I notice a famous or infamous English Language school operating in Bangkok (named after a well known Financial Street in the USA.not connected with success at the moment I might add,) have big advertising campaign with posters all over Bangkok. Times are tough and the most expensive school in the country are touting for business.

Wall Street has always advertised heavily, from the First day they entered the Thai Market.. and they have a very unique Marketing and Teaching/Learning approach.

They charge you a One Time Lifetime fee. (Last time I checked it was around 80,000 Baht) For this you get NO Formal Classes, but you do get all the One-on- One and Computer-assisted help you require. For group learning They focus on discussion groups (moderated by teachers) and a student is free to join as many groups as they like, and to attend as many days & hours he/she wants.

Their success is dependent totally on the motivation of the student to participate, practice and Support each other. And for 80,000+ Baht upfront, you can bet the students are motivated.

CS

Hmm... "a good Plug?" 80,000 Bht for "one to one and English discussion groups" (computer learning could be done anywhere), is rather expensive and beyond most Bangkok folk , but my point is they have recently been advertising heavily. Just wonder why,I lived in Beijing and had experience of WS, along with a Chinese friend who invested 18K Yuan and was not so happy with the service. Interesting to know how many Thais have invested such a huge amount in improving their English language

Edited by KKvampire

You missed my point. Firstly, I've gone on record many times to say that the USA is far and away the only superpower left in the world. No one's even close, not even China (for the time being). Having said that, individual Americans aren't exactly doing all that well. Did you know that nearly half of Americans couldn't come up with $2,000 in 30 days? Freakin 60,000 baht! The American model is broke and any effort to emulate it is probably unwise

It's certainly going through a tough time but you could say the same thing in 1775, 1861, 1873, 1929, The early 70's, the late 80's, the beginning of the naughties, and currently during the banking/financial/real estate issues.

It's all cyclical. This isn't the worst period in American history by far. Things will shake up.

There is absolutely no reason for, say, a tourist to learn Thai. But for a long term expat, many, many good reasons to learn. It goes to quality of life. I'll just give you one--meeting normal Thai women. If I was confined to dating only skanks who's only claim to fame is they speak a bit of English, I wouldn't be dating in Thailand.

Learning an entire language to meet relatively uneducated women is not a good investment of time and resources.