New Passport

I just picked up my new passport which had run out of pages and have it in hand. But my old Passport has my Non O Visa in it, can I get it moved over to the new passport somehow? I am tired of carrying two passports with me and having to explain it each time, which is the new one, where is the visa it's empty etc..etc.. there must be a process for this.. where would one do this?

Hmmmm three replies three different answers, this looks to be more difficult than I had hoped..

I guess I will get the wife to start making some phone calls and see what we can figure out.

I am confused though as I have a one year Non O it can't suddenly be invalid simply by the act of getting a new passport.. and it doesn't make much sense to carry two passport around one which is stamp invalid...

Oh well this is Thailand.. only four more months of this insane asylum and then back to the real world...

Thank anyway guys.

Not so much different answers as confusions as to what you have. You either have a valid multiple nonO visa OR you have an extension of stay. Many people confuse an extension of stay with a visa.

In case of you having a valid multiple non-O you leave the country every 90 days. You visit immirgaiton to have the details transferred to the new passport, but they won't transfer the actual visa. So till your visa itself is expired you need to carry both passports. The old one to show the visa and the new one to get your permisison to stay at the border.

If you are on an extension of stay you visit immigration and have your details transferred. But your visa itself will have expired, so you don't need it anymore. Only the details, which will be transferred. You now only carry your new paspsort.

I was yesterday at the immigration to transfer the stamps.

You have to fill in a form, make copy's from both your passports, the stamps and arival card.

Go to the immigration and 30 minutes later you have the stamps in your new passport.

So they were stamps because of Extensions

If you believe a one year multi entry visa is a long time to carry two passport think a bit about the 10 year US visa which would require the same (for up to ten years). Visas are not transferred but are valid in an old passport.

As for immigration transfer of stamps all permitted to stay stamps previously had to be transferred upon receipt of a new passport. There has not been any public change mentioned, that I am aware of, but in practice people are now being told it is not required except for extensions of stay and that other should just show both passports at border if on a visa or visa exempt entry.

• 1 month later...

I require a new Australian Passport due it being almost full.

I will obtain it in Australia, where I am now, prior to next departure to Thailand.

I imagine that I show both old and new passports to BKK Airport Immigration to enable entry under my Retirement Status, for which I have had three prior 'extensions of stay'

Do I then go to Immigration to have the 'Extension' stamps transferred and does this need to be done at my local office which is Khon Kaen or can it be done in Bangkok?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that.

Just to clarify for the future, even with extensions from now on in a new passport, I must always carry the original cancelled passport with the original "O" Visa which generated the retirement status a few years back.

i.e. One or more extensions are not active without the original visa always being presented.

Further; Are both passports required to be presented at each departure and arrival immigration points, or is it just for each arrival?

Another question in a similar situation; When it comes time for extension renewals, do both passports need all pages copied?

You can burn your old passport - it is not required for anything once the transfer is made into the new passport. Immigration has records and photocopies of your old visa - for new extensions of stay you photocopy from your transfer entry in the new passport. Only if you have valid visas in the old passport and want to use them would you need to carry both.

I had the same problem when I was living in Samui. I went to immigration there and their process was stapling the new and old passport together, they didn't transfer anything. I guess it's like everything else, it depends on where you go, who you talk to and the time of day.