Rabid Songtaws

Gik

Back to the OP if my memory serve's me right if you pick up a bus from south Pattaya rd " They queue up there to go to Jomtiem anywhere after Trepprasit rd is 20bt has been for a long time and Thai's pay it. So if you come back from T/Rd cross over south/P Rd why should it be any different 20bt. If it's a problem get off at S/P Rd and walk.

No. It is 10 baht from the queue. Sorry, your memory does not serve you right and/or you paid more than you were required. Also, like I said before Thais (and also misinformed tourists) will very commonly give out higher fare info to tourists that simply is not correct. Most of all do not expect correct fare info from drivers, or expect most of them to volunteer change unless you clearly demand it (and not even always then). They aren't your friends, they are for the most part acting as opportunist hustlers whenever they can. Not making a judgment about that, but no need to be an easy mark for them either. I have seen Russians paying 100 baht each on that queue run and no complaints from the driver. You don't gain the locals love and respect by being a patsy,.

Like I said before there is no guarantee though how FAR out Jomtien they will go before they stop and demand a conversion to a charter, and then if you don't like it, you get off the bus.

From the queue they will ALWAYS go as far the Dongtan Jomtien police box but generally not further than the Chatupruek road (without stopping and demanding a charter fare).

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No. It is 10 baht from the queue...............................

From the queue they will ALWAYS go as far the Dongtan Jomtien police box but generally not further than the Chatupruek road .......

Correct.

It is also 10B if you walk 100 yards past the school and flag an empty one down. :)

I've never understood the pleasure people seem to get from waiting in a nearly full bahtbus in the hot sun. I have better things to do.

No. It is 10 baht from the queue...............................

From the queue they will ALWAYS go as far the Dongtan Jomtien police box but generally not further than the Chatupruek road .......

Correct.

It is also 10B if you walk 100 yards past the school and flag an empty one down. :)

I've never understood the pleasure people seem to get from waiting in a nearly full bahtbus in the hot sun. I have better things to do.

Yes I used to do that. However, more often than I liked, the trucks made a surprising turn from the normal route to Jomtien, so ended up needing to wait for a second bus (sometimes in heavy rain). So it's the queue for me now. Very reliable and you get to learn some Russian as well.

Back to the OP if my memory serve's me right if you pick up a bus from south Pattaya rd " They queue up there to go to Jomtiem anywhere after Trepprasit rd is 20bt has been for a long time and Thai's pay it. So if you come back from T/Rd cross over south/P Rd why should it be any different 20bt. If it's a problem get off at S/P Rd and walk.

No. It is 10 baht from the queue. Sorry, your memory does not serve you right and/or you paid more than you were required. Also, like I said before Thais (and also misinformed tourists) will very commonly give out higher fare info to tourists that simply is not correct. Most of all do not expect correct fare info from drivers, or expect most of them to volunteer change unless you clearly demand it (and not even always then). They aren't your friends, they are for the most part acting as opportunist hustlers whenever they can. Not making a judgment about that, but no need to be an easy mark for them either. I have seen Russians paying 100 baht each on that queue run and no complaints from the driver. You don't gain the locals love and respect by being a patsy,.

Like I said before there is no guarantee though how FAR out Jomtien they will go before they stop and demand a conversion to a charter, and then if you don't like it, you get off the bus.

From the queue they will ALWAYS go as far the Dongtan Jomtien police box but generally not further than the Chatupruek road (without stopping and demanding a charter fare).

Well maybe I'm wrong haven't done that trip for some time the first time I did it was when it was 5bt for Thai and 10bt for farang. On route I asked a Thai the price and they told me they paid 10bt as I was sitting near the near side door I watched as they got off and they all gave either a 10 2 5bt coin's or a note and got change to the ammount of 10bt so I gave 20 a snip to get off 1km down the beach. And within 10 mt of where I wanted to go. Idd like to know do any of you leave a tip in a bar or restaurant If you do what's the big deal to pay 20bt for a 5km trip??? I know it's not the same but last time I was in England over a year ago I paid over £7 336bt + to go 1.1 miles less than 2 km, and they expect a tip. N/B not a black cab that's more. Think about that. Edited by fredob43

Well maybe I'm wrong haven't done that trip for some time the first time I did it was when it was 5bt for Thai and 10bt for farang. On route I asked a Thai the price and they told me they paid 10bt as I was sitting near the near side door I watched as they got off and they all gave either a 10 2 5bt coin's or a note and got change to the ammount of 10bt so I gave 20 a snip to get off 1km down the beach. And within 10 mt of where I wanted to go. Idd like to know do any of you leave a tip in a bar or restaurant If you do what's the big deal to pay 20bt for a 5km trip??? I know it's not the same but last time I was in England over a year ago I paid over £7 336bt + to go 1.1 miles less than 2 km, and they expect a tip. N/B not a black cab that's more. Think about that.

The deal is not all of us are rich and if you take the baht bus many times a week it adds up.,Note that in Bangkok there are some bus lines that charge as little as 7 baht for a 5km ride. And they charge everyone the same. By the way do taxis in England charge a higher rate for presumably rich Arabs and Japanese tourists? Why not? Could there be a principle involved?

And lastly, not all of us like being treated as suckers.

Edited by BugJackBaron

I must say that I have never ever had a problem in over 20 year's of using them in Pattaya. Only one time have I ever had one talk to me that was when they used to charge 10 bt for Farang's 5 for Thai's. I gave him 10 bt and he called me back and gave me 5bt change, I just said thank you, you can keep it. Great service. If I go a long way I will give 20bt Peanut's ring's a bell.

I broadly agree here. I've been living in central Pattaya on and off for five years now. I travel almost exclusively by baht bus and understand most of intricacies of the 'system' and I just try to live with them.

I have to say that having read over the same last five years Jingthing's accounts of his interactions with the baht bus system, I believe he shows an unnecessarily negative attitude to baht bus drivers. In my experience many are perfectly pleasant people to deal with.

As a seasoned expat, if you want to make sure of of the fare in central Pattaya, before getting on, indicate where you want to go and ask: "Sip baht, okay?" (ten baht, okay?) Sure, this is not always straightforward but in the main this will deal with 99 percent of the problems Jingthing complains about.

As for 'Jomtien' .. is that somewhere near Africa?

If you know the fare, don't be so silly as to ask the driver. If you don't, guess the fare, and just pay it (using my checklist).

Like I said before a lot of the ambiguity these days is in the Jomtien part of the system, so if you stay only in Pattaya, 10 baht always, never a need to talk to the driver. There are annoying things that come up when you expect a driver to make the full route and he turns. That really isn't fair to the passenger then to expect a full fare, but I suggest just pay it most times unless the turn is outrageous in the context of the journey and off any standard route (regular riders will understand what I'm talking about I think).

I certainly tip at restaurants, but not at street type stalls. No, I don't tip BUS DRIVERS in ANY COUNTRY but I do usually tip TAXI drivers according the custom of the country.

I don't really care if you tip the baht bus drivers; that is your choice, but sorry I think it's stupid.

BTW, I came up with a more positive, fun way to deal with the drivers that stop at the cab trying to make you a taxi fare when you flagged them to get a BUS ride. I could see they were OK people (a young man and a woman) so even though I knew I wasn't getting a bus ride and they weren't getting a taxi fare, I SMILED at them and pointed to the back indicating how silly it was that they stopped that way and that I OBVIOUSLY wanted a BUS ride, but in a playful way. They even smiled. Then of course, sped off ... I think this is a good response to those that do that, but I would only do that with the ones that don't look super gruff or possibly on yaba.

Edited by Jingthing

I am talking about paying the correct, legitimate fare. I

What is the correct legitimate fare ?

The correct fare as I understand it from tourist litrature is between 10 and 20 B.

Those who want to charge 20 will ususlly ask when you get on, IE at the wharf coming back from the island or at the bus station coming to town.

If you dont want to pay 20 dont get on.

Had one yesterday who wanted 20b from outside underwater world, I and 3 others got off and got the next one that came along, and paid the usual 10b when I got off.

There is also the situation of door to door private hire where you have to negotiate a fare but that is up to what you feel happy to pay for such service.

Incidentaly I think it is a great service as I normally walk short distances and only use them when I am going a fair way.

Only complaint I have is that in some instances you dont know which route they are taking, if they had different colours for say Naklua, Jomtian etc it would make it easier, but what the hell if they go the wrong way get off and get another going where you want to go.

OH my god another 10 B.

Reminds me of the poem on the toilet wall

"Here I sit broken hearted

Paid 3 Baht and only farted"

Yes I used to do that. However, more often than I liked, the trucks made a surprising turn from the normal route to Jomtien, so ended up needing to wait for a second bus (sometimes in heavy rain). So it's the queue for me now.

If a bahtbus on a regular route doesnt go the way he is supposed to go, I just get off and dont pay. It's up to him to point out to me that he doesnt intend following the proper route.

On occasions I have been in a bus going to Jomtien which has turned right and gone up Buddha hill, done a huge detour around Pratumnak to drop some Russians off (at great expense to them), then rejoined the main Jomtien route for my 10B fare. Makes a nice change.

It is not worth getting into any sort of disagreement or altercation with these maniacs.

They will bash you for 5 or 10 baht if they are in a bad mood.

If you live in Pattaya don't get on the wrong side of one of them or you will always be looking out for your back.

Judge the situation on its merits. If the driver looks like he is going to go ballistic pay up and move on. It just ain't worth the potential grief for a few baht.

I have seen a few guys bashed over the years for what appeared to be very minor things.

A lot of these guys are unhinged on ya baa and such so be warned.

Is there any way to tell which route a Bahtbus is running? The numbers on the windows appear to be color coded. I understand that certain buses can only run certain routes, but have no idea if a bus going north up 2nd road is going to Nakula or is going to turnoff at Central Rd, North Rd or go back down beach Rd.

This aged argument is dragged up again but the same old issues never depart. There is a real fare and yet loads of know alls are swearing that the real price is way over that. Some even start to compare it to the $ amount per km versus the USA - how stupid is that argument - we are not in the USA.

JT is spot on. Sometimes you give a little to protect your head but no need to feed these opportunist scammers. If you do, then BT10 becomes Bt20 becomes Bt30 etc. Do half a dozen trips every day and you have an extra Bt3/4000 a month. Double that if you are paying for your other half as well. Hardly clever to chuck $100/200 or more down the drain is it.

Taxi drivers all over the world try it on, some not all, no different here.

We are mostly talking here about the baht buses when they act as BUSES, not taxis. I agree taxi drivers play games all over the world (well maybe some exceptions in cities where the culture is super clean) the SPECIFICS about the game in Pattaya has a number of unique factors specific to Pattaya. For example, it really is a case of real ambiguity how much to pay from Jomtien to Pattaya, with fuzzy factors like where you got on in Jomtien, where you got off in Pattaya, is the cutoff South Pattaya Road, Central, Pattaya Klang, or even North Pattaya, how rough and crazy the driver is acting, whether he looks violent or yabba drugged, how populated has the run been, etc. So please this is the Pattaya forum, talking about very specific Pattaya details here is very apt. As I have said many times before, riding the baht buses is SITUATIONAL, you can't always follow clear black and white rules. However, at this time, I do think you can ALWAYS pay 10 baht for IN Pattaya runs of any kind and not have any worry that you aren't paying the correct fare, and also know if the driver balks, you are right.

I understand how this can be confusing for non-regular riders. The way I verify my fare assumptions is the reactions of the drivers, over time, in volume, to the payments I think are correct. For example, I have found about one out of ten drivers negatively react to paying 10 baht at Pattaya Klang from Jomtien. That shows me 10 baht is acceptable by the vast majority of baht bus drivers for that run, and thus the correct fare. If over time 50 percent of them balked, I would feel that maybe the "real" acceptable fare had indeed changed. Where exactly the cutoff percentage that would make me change what I pay isn't exact, but like most people I don't want a drama every time I pay the fare (thus my checklist which is a surefire drama reducer), so of course I would eventually change what I pay based on real life evidence. I feel my tactics are much more accurate to the reality than asking a Thai on the bus, a tourist, a media source, or the driver's themselves. If you doubt my tactic, try paying 5 baht on a run like that. I reckon almost ALL drivers would balk (as well they should).

I think other more timid people and/or with less riding experience change their assumption about correct fare the very first time ONE driver balks! That is irrational.

BTW, I certainly have changed my payment level in the past. I used to be able to pay 10 baht on the Jomtien run as far as Big C or Pattaya North. I suspect many Thais still do even into Naklua. But I started getting flak for that a number of times, and that was enough for me to pay 20 after Pattaya Klang. I'm not looking for conflict or drama, rather just want to pay the generally accepted fare (even allowing for double pricing).

Edited by Jingthing

Not a rat's a*s chance in hell of seeing me on one of those povertymobiles arguing with the great unwashed baht bus driver masses, while sheepishly running away.......however if you do see me, it means I am headed for leaper's lounge...the last 6 baht in my pocket are for for you...run like the wind when you pay the next fare son!

I would love to see them implement the double pricing model on these rust buckets.....all foreigners pay 50 baht flat fare regardless of distance!

You don't ride them, huh? I hope the cost of your petrol goes up 100 times, see you on the bus, mate.

Edited by tailspin

Not a rat's a*s chance in hell of seeing me on one of those povertymobiles arguing with the great unwashed baht bus driver masses, while sheepishly running away.......however if you do see me, it means I am headed for leaper's lounge...the last 6 baht in my pocket are for for you...run like the wind when you pay the next fare son!

I would love to see them implement the double pricing model on these rust buckets.....all foreigners pay 50 baht flat fare regardless of distance!

You don't ride them, huh? I hope the cost of your petrol goes up 100 times, see you on the bus, mate.

OK.

I've actually only ran away on time ever from a baht bus driver; the incident where the driver wanted me off the bus and I didn't want to get off the bus so he started after me, so I ran. I don't "run" when paying. I guess I would if one of them was chasing me.

I don't want your six baht. Maybe you should invest that with a night out the the great unwashed. The word SNOB comes to mind. BTW -- maybe I haven't made this clear, I ENJOY riding the baht buses. It's a great people watching experience, sometimes you get into interesting conversations with people you never would have met or talked to, and there is always the excitement and drama of the unpredictability of drivers.

Edited by Jingthing

...... have no idea if a bus going north up 2nd road is going to Nakula or is going to turnoff at Central Rd, North Rd or go back down beach Rd.

Sadly true.

It's about the only thing wrong with the bahtbus system here.

Thais often make a sort of "straight-on" or "turn-left" or "turn-right" arm/hand gesture to the driver, before getting on, and he will nod or shake his head accordingly. I generally do that.

Or of course you can just ask through the window: pai Naklua mai? (You're going to Naklua, arent you?) The driver will indicate the same way.

This doesnt tie you in for a special trip fare (unless of course the driver replies in Thai: "OK, but it will cost you a bundle" :o ). If he did anything more than nod his head I would be wary.

Or you can just walk to a point after which you know that they wont turn off. I do this when going from 2nd Rd/Central to Jomtien: rather than walk from 2nd Rd to Beach Rd, then find a bahtbus going to Jomtien from there, I just walk to the school beyond South Rd, from where they almost all go to Jomtien.

Not a rat's a*s chance in hell of seeing me on one of those povertymobiles arguing with the great unwashed baht bus driver masses,

Actually if you pick your bahtbus sensibly you can normally be alone in the back, or at worst only have a couple of people on board with you.

Just avoid the ones that wait till they are full before leaving, and dont flag down a bus with loads of people already in it. Also worth letting a couple of empty ones go past before stopping another empty one, as that way the two in front will probably pick up anyone waiting further down the street.

OK, you may be unlucky and have 50 indians or arabs leap onto the bus that previously you were alone in, but that doesnt happen too often. And for 10B you can always get off and take the next empty one, which is rarely more than 30 seconds away.

I like to compare that with the 240B I paid to go just a few stops on a local bus near London. :o

I like to compare that with the 240B I paid to go just a few stops on a local bus near London. :o

Perhaps new residents may compare prices with those back at home, but most expats don't. I have absolutely no idea of back-home prices. After nearly 10 years away I'm sure they would freak me out, but it's irrelevant.

I think 10 baht is not cheap for the quality of service and the difficulty of finding your way around, not to mention the extreme limitations and aggravations.

Yesterday P.M. 10th August. Jomtien Beach just up from Soi 13.

I get on Baht Bus with 2 Russian women already onboard. Obviously Mother and Daughter by the striking facial similarity.

Opposite Soi 5 they buzz to get off. The Younger of the two reaches into the pocket of her denim shorts and pulls out a 100 Baht note.

Oh Oh !!! I say In my head. This is going to be a rip off or a stand off......?

But no the young male driver said he did not have enough change so just let off with a free ride.

In 6 years I have not had any problems with Baht Bus fares. One poster said 20 years.....so those that do ...are unfortunate or maybe they have to take a long hard look in the mirror before they venture out....

In 6 years I have not had any problems with Baht Bus fares. One poster said 20 years.....so those that do ...are unfortunate or maybe they have to take a long hard look in the mirror before they venture out....

I find this very hard to believe. If you say you've had no problems with baht bus fares in 6 years either you don't use them very much or you pay too much... and then you take it further and insult people who have problems with them, insinuating that it's their fault they're having trouble.

There are hundreds of pages of discussions over problems with Baht buses on this forum. Perhaps they should all look in the mirror? What do you see when you look long and hard in your mirror?

I only use baht buses once or twice a year and I've had problems. Try living on Pratumnak Hill and see how you go.

Edited by tropo

Perhaps new residents may compare prices with those back at home, but most expats don't. I have absolutely no idea of back-home prices. After nearly 10 years away I'm sure they would freak me out, but it's irrelevant.

I have been an expat for 35 years. In that entire time I must have spent a grand total of maybe 3 months in the UK.

I just happened to be there last year for a week, as a tourist, and during that time I took one trip on a bus. The experience stuck in my mind, not least due to the cost.

I only use baht buses once or twice a year and I've had problems. .

Some people are just unlucky, I suppose. Some may just have a bad attitude.

Try living on Pratumnak Hill and see how you go

I removed most places on Pratumnak from my list of possible places to live, precisely because it is so hard to get to/from using the bahtbus, and because there is so little there apart from residential buildings.

That said, there is just one building that I like there and have been very tempted to live in, even though it would mean having to use a car or motorbike to get anywhere on a daily basis.

Some people are just unlucky, I suppose. Some may just have a bad attitude.

I removed most places on Pratumnak from my list of possible places to live, precisely because it is so hard to get to/from using the bahtbus, and because there is so little there apart from residential buildings.

That said, there is just one building that I like there and have been very tempted to live in, even though it would mean having to use a car or motorbike to get anywhere on a daily basis.

You couldn't be more wrong. One does not need bad luck or a bad attitude to have bad experiences with baht buses. They are a bad experience waiting to happen.

My bad experiences with baht buses stem primarily from trying to get up to Pratumnak Hill for a regular price. Nothing at all to do with my bad luck or attitude. Certainly a lot to do with the bad attitude of the drivers though.

I wouldn't live anywhere else but one must have one's own transport to enjoy life there.

Edited by tropo

You couldn't be more wrong. One does not need bad luck or a bad attitude to have bad experiences with baht buses. They are a bad experience waiting to happen.

My bad experiences with baht buses stem primarily from trying to get up to Pratumnak Hill for a regular price.

Well, I only use the bahtbus to get to/from Jomtien, which involves going over the top of the hill. I've been doing it, on and off, for some 25 years (before that I only stayed in town). Recently I've been doing it numerous times a week. Soon I will probably be doing it daily, if not twice daily.

I've never paid more than the standard fare, never been asked to pay more, and never had the slightest problem at all. Except, rarely, for some unpleasant passengers. The loud, pissed, tattooed, farang football hooligan type.

My bad experiences with baht buses stem primarily from trying to get up to Pratumnak Hill for a regular price.

Well, I only use the bahtbus to get to/from Jomtien, which involves going over the top of the hill. I've been doing it, on and off, for some 25 years (before that I only stayed in town). Recently I've been doing it numerous times a week. Soon I will probably be doing it daily, if not twice daily.

I've never paid more than the standard fare, never been asked to pay more, and never had the slightest problem at all. Except, rarely, for some unpleasant passengers. The loud, pissed, tattooed, farang football hooligan type.

Well guess what? I have never been scammed on a jet ski yet despite riding them many times over the years. Does this mean that people who are scammed are either unlucky or have bad attitudes. I prefer to say I've been lucky.

Probability of fare conflicts increase dramatically based on exactly WHERE you get on in Jomtien and get off in Pattaya and vice versa. If for example you took the queue bus from South Pattaya to Dongtan and from Dongtan to South Pattaya Road every time paying 10 baht, it wouldn't surprise me if you did that 1000 times without any flak. The fuzzy parts start generally by getting on the bus far out Jomtien or going further into Pattaya, vice versa. Of course for people who don't understand the system well, it's conceivable the driver thinks you agreed to a charter fare when you didn't; more chance of that if you make the error of speaking to the driver.

Naturally, I seriously do not agree that people who have conflicts with drivers are asking for it. On the other hand for people happy to pay more than is required all the time, I do think they are going overboard to avoid it. If you ride the system in varied ways, frequently, not just totally predictable and safe ways like riding South Pattaya to Pattaya Klang everytime and that's it, and they are trying to pay the required fare rather than the driver's wish fare, I guarantee you, you will encounter conflicts or at the very least annoyances (like the driver changing routes, kicking you off early, etc.).

Edited by Jingthing

Probability of fare conflicts increase dramatically based on exactly WHERE you get on in Jomtien and get off in Pattaya and vice versa. If for example you took the queue bus from South Pattaya to Dongtan and from Dongtan to South Pattaya Road every time paying 10 baht, it wouldn't surprise me if you did that 1000 times without any flak. The fuzzy parts start generally by getting on the bus far out Jomtien or going further into Pattaya, vice versa. Of course for people who don't understand the system well, it's conceivable the driver thinks you agreed to a charter fare when you didn't; more chance of that if you make the error of speaking to the driver.

Naturally, I seriously do not agree that people who have conflicts with drivers are asking for it. On the other hand for people happy to pay more than is required all the time, I do think they are going overboard to avoid it. If you ride the system in varied ways, frequently, not just totally predictable and safe ways like riding South Pattaya to Pattaya Klang everytime and that's it, and they are trying to pay the required fare rather than the driver's wish fare, I guarantee you, you will encounter conflicts or at the very least annoyances (like the driver changing routes, kicking you off early, etc.).

JT, where exactly does this "queue bus" leave from for South Pattaya to Dongtan? There are a lot of empty buses parked along the road (Pratumnak Rd) in South Pattaya - how do you ascertain which one is queuing? I figure if you walk up to any empty bus they're going to think you're looking for a special trip.