Givi Boxes On Er6F

Timthai

Just added a set of Givi boxes to the Ninja... I ended up opting for the smaller Cruiser side cases, as they were much more compact than the really wide boxes they normally supply for sports bikes, and much more practical for Bangkok traffic. I ride to the office every day, so these work perfectly, being just a little wider than the handle bars. I can leave my rain gear in one of the side boxes, and fit my laptop bag easily in the other side box or the top box, and my full face helmet fits easily in the top box when not needed.

The top box uses Givi's ER6 mounts, and the side boxes use a universal mount kit. The universal mount looks a bit ugly when the boxes are not fitted, but I'll take to them with and angle grinder and weld up some more elegant mounts when I get time. Just on 20,000 baht including mounts and fitting, they were way cheaper than the aluminium boxes I was considering. The side boxes are a little flimsier than I expected, but should be serviceable enough. (They do have Givi mounts for the ER6 if you opt for the wider side boxes.)

Off next week to see if I can get a set of mounts to fit the Vulcan so I can swap the boxes over when I need to.

Cheers.

post-120815-0-94425300-1312845619_thumb.

post-120815-0-96089400-1312845641_thumb.

Looks ok to me. I'm not a fan of back boxes on bikes in general but the practicality of them is priceless.

I opted to put Givi boxes on my Versys (see below) and I like the look. A back box was an option but I don't need one to be honest for my usage.

post-67790-0-43061800-1312848668_thumb.j

I'd love to get a 2nd base plate for my fairly new Givi top box so I can switch between 2 bikes. Any clues? The retailer here in BKK said can not. Hope he's wrong.

I'm told Givi is made in Malaysia. I go to KL for a few days each month and same for Singapore so any lead there would also be appreciated.

Also need rack for XJR400.

Many Thanks,

Andrew.

Edited by andrew55

Looks ok to me. I'm not a fan of back boxes on bikes in general but the practicality of them is priceless.

I opted to put Givi boxes on my Versys (see below) and I like the look. A back box was an option but I don't need one to be honest for my usage.

post-67790-0-43061800-1312848668_thumb.j

Yeah, I know the feeling... I really wasn't jazzed with the appearance, but I hate riding with a backpack or sling bag, so I weakened... but I'm glad I did, the practical benefits won in the end.

I'd love to get a 2nd base plate for my fairly new Givi top box so I can switch between 2 bikes. Any clues? The retailer here in BKK said can not. Hope he's wrong.

I'm told Givi is made in Malaysia. I go to KL for a few days each month and same for Singapore so any lead there would also be appreciated.

Also need rack for XJR400.

Many Thanks,

Andrew.

Don't see why you couldn't? Unless they just don't make the mounts for your model.

I got mine from GTAUTOBIKE in Lat Phrao 87 (gtautobikedotcom) give him a try. (His English is good.)

I know I will nee to make a custom mount for the Vulcan, but I'm hoping I will be able to bolt a plate through the luggage rack I already have on it.

Also, there's an older post somewhere that Tony had a custom mount made for a Givi box for his Versys that he was happy with. The Givi custom mount is now available in LOS, but I have a feeling he had it made at Dr Bike in Chok Choi 4? They no longer sell Givi though (I think), but they may still be happy to fabricate the mounts.

I like the size of these boxes. But they just look like big black plastic boxes. Probably because they are ;)

I think I'll go for a Givi top box eventually, either that cheap 2,300 Baht model (Givi made in Malaysia) - looks not bad. Or this one - very neat with the remote control...

cases-B47-BLADE.jpg

http://www.givi.co.uk/cases/Monolock-/B47-BLADE

Meanwhile, I have soft ortlieb bags - they're good, sturdy, and very practical, as well as 100% water proof. But they aren't exactly pretty either ;) the best part about these is that they come off in a heartbeat so whenever I don't need them, I remove them. I had the rack locally made, very good and very cheap.

post-20814-0-02246400-1312888742_thumb.p

Edited by nikster

I like the size of these boxes. But they just look like big black plastic boxes. Probably because they are ;)

I think I'll go for a Givi top box eventually, either that cheap 2,300 Baht model (Givi made in Malaysia) - looks not bad. Or this one - very neat with the remote control...

cases-B47-BLADE.jpg

http://www.givi.co.u...lock-/B47-BLADE

Meanwhile, I have soft ortlieb bags - they're good, sturdy, and very practical, as well as 100% water proof. But they aren't exactly pretty either ;) the best part about these is that they come off in a heartbeat so whenever I don't need them, I remove them. I had the rack locally made, very good and very cheap.

nikster,

Are the Ortlieb bags you have the Ortlieb Low Profile Dry Bags? The ones in your picture don't look as big as the regular Ortlieb bags I see on their site.

David

cases-B47-BLADE.jpg

http://www.givi.co.u...lock-/B47-BLADE

Very cool with the remote control, but probably a little overkill! Besides, I'd be afraid that while my gear stayed dry, the remote gets wet and fails to let me get to it!

That's already one mean looking machine there dude :thumbsup:. I think the top box, albeit practical, will be out of place. The Ortlieb bags really compliment the black color and gives the bike more of the "you don't want to mess with me" look. Well that's my opinion anyways...

Anyone else considering pillion bags instead? Like the Kriega ones from Panda Rider?

Edited by RED21

When I was last in Singapore I noticed quite a few big bikes and practically all of them had a top box. And not just the cruiser and tourers but also on superbikes.

Now I wasn't sure if this was because of some arcane law for which Sillypore is infamous and I could see how these things fit most large tourer-type bikes but on sport bikes, a top box looks totally gay.

I can't see the problem of taking a backpack and there are even ones especially made for bikers - www.kriega.com

I understand it's personal preference but there are alternatives to gayifying one's bike.

Edited by RusticCharm

Each to his own...

I initially thought the same thing, I was more concerned with form than function, but I got sick of having to lug my laptop and work stuff om my back, getting caught in a downpour etc.

I put a set of bags on the cruiser, and the convenience caused me to be riding that to the office every day... Now Since I got over my homophobia and put those gay boxes on the Ninja, I'm back riding it every day.

End of the day, function won out over form!

BTW, I rearranged the universal mounts yesterday, and the side boxes are in a much better position, particularly when two up. I'll post another photo shorty. But no doubt SE will still think they look gay!

When I was last in Singapore I noticed quite a few big bikes and practically all of them had a top box. And not just the cruiser and tourers but also on superbikes.

Now I wasn't sure if this was because of some arcane law for which Sillypore is infamous and I could see how these things fit most large tourer-type bikes but on sport bikes, a top box looks totally gay.

I can't see the problem of taking a backpack and there are even ones especially made for bikers - www.kriega.com

I understand it's personal preference but there are alternatives to gayifying one's bike.

in Malaysia too, probably to avoid full face helmets stolen

This tank bag is just great, less than 1200 baht by EMS from our Sponsor Sumetcycle

post-81971-0-32837600-1313399524_thumb.j

padded to protect tank, doubles up as a backpack, small and large compartments, expandable and comes with a raincoat

Each to his own...

I initially thought the same thing, I was more concerned with form than function, but I got sick of having to lug my laptop and work stuff om my back, getting caught in a downpour etc.

I put a set of bags on the cruiser, and the convenience caused me to be riding that to the office every day... Now Since I got over my homophobia and put those gay boxes on the Ninja, I'm back riding it every day.

BTW, I rearranged the universal mounts yesterday, and the side boxes are in a much better position, particularly when two up. I'll post another photo shorty. But no doubt SE will still think they look gay!

Looks like someone bit! Hit a nerve, huh? And why is it all the sportbikes with top boxes are Ninjas? There's definitely something funny about Ninja riders. Don't see any other mid-range sportsbikes with them. R6, GSXR 750 etc. Just Ninjas! And when riding two up, just make sure that's not a dude on the back riding bitch. 5555!

I mean, it's almost as gay as foreign highway police volunteers.

Edited by RusticCharm

nikster,

Are the Ortlieb bags you have the Ortlieb Low Profile Dry Bags? The ones in your picture don't look as big as the regular Ortlieb bags I see on their site.

David

Mine are M44s with QL2 (Quick Lock 2 system)

17650_0.jpg

Note: These are different from the saddle bags. They snap on to a rack.

If anything, that's a compliment coming from the resident forum troll. Just ignore...

If anything, that's a compliment coming from the resident forum troll. Just ignore...
Coming from someone who has his tongue so far up a certain 'egotistical' poster's arse. 'Great video", "Amazing photo" etc...

Anyway, if you want to turn what was basically humorous banter into a slanging match, I'll pass.

I think this subject needs it's own poll.

Each to his own...

Looks like someone bit! Hit a nerve, huh? And why is it all the sportbikes with top boxes are Ninjas? There's definitely something funny about Ninja riders. Don't see any other mid-range sportsbikes with them. R6, GSXR 750 etc. Just Ninjas! And when riding two up, just make sure that's not a dude on the back riding bitch. 5555!

I mean, it's almost as gay as foreign highway police volunteers.

I think it has alot to do with the type of people that buy the new cheap ninja range and try and turn them into something they are not. :whistling: