English Language School Recommendations?

differentbutsamesame

A Thai lady wants to learn English pref. full time from monday to friday. Her knowledge of the english language is basic.

She'd like to learn all aspects of the language, new words, writing, grammar, pronunciation/accent etc.

I came up with a few schools in Bangkok after reading several posts on this forum;

AUA

British council (probably the best?)

Thaiwalen

ECC

Has anyone around here have experience with one of these schools?

She requires the teachers to be native English speakers because she'd like to learn an English or American accent as far that's possible.

Edited by differentbutsamesame

Which area of Bangkok is she in?

Remember she will learn with other people, if her level is higher than theirs she might get bored, also the teacher will be concentrating on all members of the class and not one. She could buy private classes at a language institute, which will cost her over 600baht per hour.

Out of the schools you mention I would recommend British Council.

I know a few people who have worked at AUA and they told me that many of the teachers working there have no education and can't teach grammar. (no offense to any of you working there now). On the other hand I have met some people who have studied at AUA and completed several levels and their English has been excellent.

Personally I wouldn't recommend ECC. One of my Thai undergraduate students works there as a part time teacher and she has told me many stories of the foreign teachers who work there. I won't repeat what she said.

Another school is EF. I don't know much about them but they seem like professional teachers.

Basically the schools are pretty much the same, in that there are both good and bad teachers.

Which area of Bangkok is she in?

Remember she will learn with other people, if her level is higher than theirs she might get bored, also the teacher will be concentrating on all members of the class and not one. She could buy private classes at a language institute, which will cost her over 600baht per hour.

In Sukhumvit. Any location along the Sukhumvit BTS route between Siam and Onnut will be fine.

600 baht per hour for private lessons is quite fafordable indeed. Maybe she can mix private lessons to improve her speech with regular lessons in class. Or will that interfere with eachother? Each institute / private teacher has his own method of teaching.

Out of the schools you mention I would recommend British Council.

I know a few people who have worked at AUA and they told me that many of the teachers working there have no education and can't teach grammar. (no offense to any of you working there now). On the other hand I have met some people who have studied at AUA and completed several levels and their English has been excellent.

Personally I wouldn't recommend ECC. One of my Thai undergraduate students works there as a part time teacher and she has told me many stories of the foreign teachers who work there. I won't repeat what she said.

Another school is EF. I don't know much about them but they seem like professional teachers.

Basically the schools are pretty much the same, in that there are both good and bad teachers.

Thanks for the info. I have never heared of EF but i'll look it up.

I believe you always get what you pay for so it will probably be british council or wallstreet, maybe mixed with private lessons.

• 4 weeks later...

A little update:

AUA: I don't like it, the school looks shabby and not all teachers are native English speakers.

British council: Good teaching but unreliable. Courses often do not have enough participants so the student must wait a long time to start the next term.

Wallstreet: I'm not so sure about their teaching methodology. A lot is done on the computer and only 1 hour daily practicing English with a teacher together with a few other students. All teachers are native English speakers, that's a big pro.I find the speed of teaching a bit slow though. It will take 6 months to complete the beginners course.

EF and ECC i didn't visit yet.

I'm a bit stuck so any recommendation is welcome.

I'll probably have to start looking for private lessons.....

Edited by differentbutsamesame