This Is The Acer Aspire 3951 Air-Like Ultrabook

Phil Conners

"Leaked" images of Acer's upcoming ultrabook have appeared online, revealing a sleek and sexy design.

Images of Acer's answer to Apple's MacBook Air – the Acer Aspire 3951 sporting Intel's ultra-sleek ultrabook design – have found their way online. The shots were provided by Vietnamese site Sohoa and reveals an extremely thin chassis that looks too brittle to be real. Still, that's the point of Intel's sexy ultrabook design: a hot, super-thin body packed with impressive hardware for under $1000 USD.

,2-O-303360-3.jpg

Full story here

I want one!

I fail to see the excitement people have over copycat products?!

Why would you not even think about buying a MacBook Air, but at the same time be excited about the first copy to come along?

This one... well... looks like a photoshopped MacBook Air to me, but hey, maybe I'm wrong and Acer is now a proud maker of KIRF products?!

Which is weird because when it came out their thin and light TimeLine series was pretty compelling, nice looking, functional, and didn't need to rip anyone off.

This was not really intended to be another Apple discussion, but I guess it's inevitable given the similar design.

There are many reasons why I will not buy an Apple product. For example, I don't accept that Steve decides how I can use my device. This is perhaps more of an issue with the Iphone, but Apples work best with Apples, so once I have a Macbook I would have to buy an Iphone, and an AppleTV and so forth.

I also strongly dislike their software. Itunes? Yuck! Did you see the recent news about how Amazon had to make a browser-based HTML5 Kindle reader because Apple only allow users to buy books through the Appstore? Amazon sidesteps Apple with HTML5 'Kindle Cloud Reader'.

Then there is the price. Apples sell at a high premium over comparative devices. The Acer is reported to come with a price tag under 30,000 baht with 160 GB SSD storage. That's more than 30% under the similar specked Airbook. I know these are reported prices that may be different in Thailand, but Acer have always been very competitive here. An Airbook with just 128 GB SSD storage is listed at 42,900 baht on the Thai Apple website.

Apple sues everyone these days as a means to do business. Just see how they are blocking Samsung Galaxy tablets in US, Europe and Australia for supposedly having design similar to the Ipad. Have you looked at TV's these days? Cars? Washing machines? Microwaves? The Galaxy tab doesn't look more like an Ipad and the Galaxy SGS2 not more like an Iphone (and particularly not the OS!) than one washing machine looks like the next.

Function dictates form.

As for the image being photoshopped, I don't know, but if you Google Acer Aspire 3951 most of the industry websites bring the story, of if it is a hoax there's a lot that fell for it. I guess time will show.

@Chivas: I linked to the image by mistake, I've changed it to the article now. "Actual runtime should be around 6 hours."

This was not really intended to be another Apple discussion, but I guess it's inevitable given the similar design.

There are many reasons why I will not buy an Apple product. For example, I don't accept that Steve decides how I can use my device. This is perhaps more of an issue with the Iphone, but Apples work best with Apples, so once I have a Macbook I would have to buy an Iphone, and an AppleTV and so forth.

I also strongly dislike their software. Itunes? Yuck! Did you see the recent news about how Amazon had to make a browser-based HTML5 Kindle reader because Apple only allow users to buy books through the Appstore? Amazon sidesteps Apple with HTML5 'Kindle Cloud Reader'.

Then there is the price. Apples sell at a high premium over comparative devices. The Acer is reported to come with a price tag under 30,000 baht with 160 GB SSD storage. That's more than 30% under the similar specked Airbook. I know these are reported prices that may be different in Thailand, but Acer have always been very competitive here. An Airbook with just 128 GB SSD storage is listed at 42,900 baht on the Thai Apple website.

Apple sues everyone these days as a means to do business. Just see how they are blocking Samsung Galaxy tablets in US, Europe and Australia for supposedly having design similar to the Ipad. Have you looked at TV's these days? Cars? Washing machines? Microwaves? The Galaxy tab doesn't look more like an Ipad and the Galaxy SGS2 not more like an Iphone (and particularly not the OS!) than one washing machine looks like the next.

Function dictates form.

As for the image being photoshopped, I don't know, but if you Google Acer Aspire 3951 most of the industry websites bring the story, of if it is a hoax there's a lot that fell for it. I guess time will show.

@Chivas: I linked to the image by mistake, I've changed it to the article now. "Actual runtime should be around 6 hours."

6 hours is sweet music to me !!

Similar design?

It's more like, they took a MacBook Air, and stuck an Acer logo on it. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, as they say. I am surprised though as Acer did have nice designs of their own, as I mentioned above. Why clone somebody else? That just reflects badly on the brand IMO.

I'd look to the automobile sector for how this would work with companies that care about their design and brand image; professionals if you will. You'll see a new Mercedes or BMW and they'll be all new and not look like anything else. Then, small details of these designs will flow into the other's products - but very slowly, very gradually. And no automotive company in their right mind would outright produce a clone of another manufacturer's car. They have too much pride for that, even if they are maybe not as advanced in their own design department.

By the way I wasn't talking about Apple, I was talking about how, in the world of computers, people just *love* to see a clone of what they otherwise despise. Nothing to do with Steve Jobs / Apple / iTunes.

I would love to see products which are slim, have good design and made with excellent parts.

I would go for MBA, but then again I'm not ready to be handcuffed to iProducts and iSoftware. My choice for the OS is Linux (kubuntu currently).

Therefore it's nice to see if there are alternatives for MBA hardware.

I fail to see the excitement people have over copycat products?!

Why would you not even think about buying a MacBook Air, but at the same time be excited about the first copy to come along?

This one... well... looks like a photoshopped MacBook Air to me, but hey, maybe I'm wrong and Acer is now a proud maker of KIRF products?!

Which is weird because when it came out their thin and light TimeLine series was pretty compelling, nice looking, functional, and didn't need to rip anyone off.

this explains everything:

Steve Jobs:"Good artists copy,great artists steal"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg631qU

I have seen these reports as well and it's a swell looking machine. However, contrary to Mr. Phil, I actually like iTunes and use it as my main multi-media player software so that has been one reason I have been seriously considering the new Macbook Air model. However, I too have reservations about Apple's locked-down business model (though I understand the reasons for it...minimal hardware/software conflicts :D and maximum profits for Apple :annoyed:)

I really need something for media playback (both "free" content :whistling: and stuff I have paid for :bah:) and as sometimes I can't find what I want for free and Amazon's video-download/streaming services don't work in Thailand, I do, on occasion, buy/rent videos from the iTunes store. These iTunes paid videos are locked down to playback on Apple devices so therefore, I might buy the Air or and iPad for this reason.

However, back to the op, the Acer does look sweet and interested to see more detailed specs.

It looks good, the biggest problem is the brand 'Acer' and it is still at the bottom of the Laptop reliability table.

My partner bought a new 4720G, there has been no end to the problems, 1st major problem after just 4 weeks, now 3 years on + countless problems, it still works but the port to connect a big monitor was never repaired and worked only for 4 months, at moment Wi Fi will not working, this laptop has been back at least 20x for this problem.... This laptop is used very light for work only and so has been used max of 3 hours a day 15 days a month since new.

A friend bought a higher spec/priced model, but as also for work, got rid of it after 19 months of nothing but problems..

2 other had had lots of problems with Acer monitors

My own Sony laptop gave up a month ago after 9 years of NO problems at all.

Edit: If i buy a new laptop then will be Dell, Sony, Asus or like Apple but maybe to old to lean a new way :D

Edited by ignis

I have seen these reports as well and it's a swell looking machine. However, contrary to Mr. Phil, I actually like iTunes and use it as my main multi-media player software so that has been one reason I have been seriously considering the new Macbook Air model. However, I too have reservations about Apple's locked-down business model (though I understand the reasons for it...minimal hardware/software conflicts :D and maximum profits for Apple :annoyed:)

I really need something for media playback (both "free" content :whistling: and stuff I have paid for :bah:) and as sometimes I can't find what I want for free and Amazon's video-download/streaming services don't work in Thailand, I do, on occasion, buy/rent videos from the iTunes store. These iTunes paid videos are locked down to playback on Apple devices so therefore, I might buy the Air or and iPad for this reason.

However, back to the op, the Acer does look sweet and interested to see more detailed specs.

I don't get the "locked down" business model argument - please enlighten me, folks. In what ways does OS X "lock down" anything?

The only lockdown if you can call it that is that iPhones and iPads require the iTunes software to sync - but that's not any different from Nokias (horrific) PC Suite or various other's sync software. iTunes is arguably and by far the best of the bunch.

For other stuff, you always have an option. Most of the music in my iTunes is ripped from CDs or downloaded from various sources. These days of course I often choose to just buy something I like. iTunes music downloads are in the free AAC codec that plays on any machine, and there is no copyright protection on them either.

All of the movies I have in iTunes / iPad are downloaded. Some of these I converted to mp4 format with the free Handbrake app. Lock in where? I don't buy movies from iTunes because they're $20 which is ridiculous, so no idea on that. The free VLC player and the perian plug-in make the Mac play any movie you might have downloaded from somewhere too.

On the software side, Apple is generally using open standards, certainly more so than Windows. Macs are certainly not locked down?! You can also install Windows on Macs, for your own Windows-based "freedom"....

Edited by nikster

I don't get the "locked down" business model argument - please enlighten me, folks. In what ways does OS X "lock down" anything?

The only lockdown if you can call it that is that iPhones and iPads require the iTunes software to sync - but that's not any different from Nokias (horrific) PC Suite or various other's sync software. iTunes is arguably and by far the best of the bunch.

For other stuff, you always have an option. Most of the music in my iTunes is ripped from CDs or downloaded from various sources. These days of course I often choose to just buy something I like. iTunes music downloads are in the free AAC codec that plays on any machine, and there is no copyright protection on them either.

All of the movies I have in iTunes / iPad are downloaded. Some of these I converted to mp4 format with the free Handbrake app. Lock in where? I don't buy movies from iTunes because they're $20 which is ridiculous, so no idea on that. The free VLC player and the perian plug-in make the Mac play any movie you might have downloaded from somewhere too.

On the software side, Apple is generally using open standards, certainly more so than Windows. Macs are certainly not locked down?! You can also install Windows on Macs, for your own Windows-based "freedom"....

The "lock down" is more on their digital content sales. I am no OS expert but I guess the Mac OS is as "open" as any other. However, until recently, iTunes music downloads were "protected" whereas Amazon's have always been DRM free. In addition, commercial videos are still protected to playback on Apple only devices.

Of course, like you say, other non-iTunes multi-media content can also be played on Apple products.

It looks good, the biggest problem is the brand 'Acer' and it is still at the bottom of the Laptop reliability table.

My partner bought a new 4720G, there has been no end to the problems, 1st major problem after just 4 weeks, now 3 years on + countless problems, it still works but the port to connect a big monitor was never repaired and worked only for 4 months, at moment Wi Fi will not working, this laptop has been back at least 20x for this problem.... This laptop is used very light for work only and so has been used max of 3 hours a day 15 days a month since new.

A friend bought a higher spec/priced model, but as also for work, got rid of it after 19 months of nothing but problems..

Edit: If i buy a new laptop then will be Dell, Sony, Asus or like Apple but maybe to old to lean a new way :D

I fully agree, my "former" Acer notebook broke down after 1.5 years after very light use. Got if repaired in Singapore (150S$) and it worked for another 6 month, then I had enough and binned it. Bought an Asus and so far no problems. So for me, never Acer again.

I fully agree, my "former" Acer notebook broke down after 1.5 years after very light use. Got if repaired in Singapore (150S$) and it worked for another 6 month, then I had enough and binned it. Bought an Asus and so far no problems. So for me, never Acer again.

I think you were just unlucky. Acer laptops are often discussed here and most people seems to be happy with them, My own experience with Acer was very good. I still use a 5 year old Acer Aspire 5050 that has seen a lot of mileage and work over the years. The dual-core AMD64 cpu still has plenty of juice in it, memory and disk has been upgraded down the road, 14" 12x10 screen. Of course the design is dated by today's standard and heavy use shows, but it's still technologically just as useful for me as a brand new laptop. I've recently had two micro switches inside replaced at a cost of 300 baht but that's all.

As for Sony laptops, I had one many years ago. It had those cute little plastic flaps that was supposed to close the connectors (Lan, modem, etc) and they all broke off within weeks of purchase leaving the laptop to look completely worn out for the rest of it's usable life. Personally, since the Sony rootkit scandal some years ago I decided never again to buy another Sony product.

We also have a Samsung netbook in the house, which started showing strange graphics problems immediately after the warranty expired. Brought it to Samsung who claimed they would need to replace the motherboard at about half the cost of a new netbook.

I think you were just unlucky. Acer laptops are often discussed here and most people seems to be happy with them, My own experience with Acer was very good. I still use a 5 year old Acer Aspire 5050 that has seen a lot of mileage and work over the years. The dual-core AMD64 cpu still has plenty of juice in it, memory and disk has been upgraded down the road, 14" 12x10 screen. Of course the design is dated by today's standard and heavy use shows, but it's still technologically just as useful for me as a brand new laptop. I've recently had two micro switches inside replaced at a cost of 300 baht but that's all.

As for Sony laptops, I had one many years ago. It had those cute little plastic flaps that was supposed to close the connectors (Lan, modem, etc) and they all broke off within weeks of purchase leaving the laptop to look completely worn out for the rest of it's usable life. Personally, since the Sony rootkit scandal some years ago I decided never again to buy another Sony product.

We also have a Samsung netbook in the house, which started showing strange graphics problems immediately after the warranty expired. Brought it to Samsung who claimed they would need to replace the motherboard at about half the cost of a new netbook.

At the moment looking at the Dell (INTEL) DELL U560226TH-5110

BRAND : DELL

• MODEL : 5110

• COLOR : BLACK

• PROCESSOR

# CPU

- Intel® Core i7-2630QM (2.0 GHz, 6 MB L3 Cache)

# Chipset

- Mobile Intel® HM67 Express

• DISPLAY

# 15.6 inch HD WLED (1366x768)

• MAIN MEMORY

# DDR3 1333 MHz. 6 GB

• STORAGE

# 640 GB 5400 RPM

• OPTICAL MEDIA DRIVE

# DVD Writer (Dual Layer Support)

• GRAPHICS

# nVidia GeForce GT 525M 1 GB

• CAMERA

# 1.0MPixel HD Webcam

• INTERFACE & PROT

# USB 2.0 x 2

# USB 3.0 x 2

# D-Sub/VGA

# e-SATA

# HDMI

# 8-in-1 Card Reader

• NETWORK

# Wireless Lan Intel WiFi 1030

# Bluetooth

# LAN

• BATTERY

# Li-ion 6 cell

No idea if it is good, but appears good spec for 27,000 baht.. ? In no hurry so will look some more at other options.

I had just opposite experience with Acer and Asus.

About dozen of years ago,me and friend - we bought Acer laptops and they worked without problems till today,(today in hands of kids);these two items are startling and living evidence of technology progress.

It might be only our individual experience.But what I am having now with Asus state-of-art netbook is not only mine:many people who bought it suffer from the same:"touch pad issue" - system goes crazy as a result of mechanical problem in touchpad(sic!).

And one user,who is technologically inclined pinpointed the reason:mechanical pressure in netbooks body,you can fix it yourself but you have to open the case.Why Asus doesnt do it in the factory?

So,for me - never Asus again.Long live Acer.I am looking forward for Aspire3951.