Worktop Oven

strikingsunset

A couple of options. You can buy a "normal"design benchtop oven , or you can get a Convection oven. I am now addicted to my Convection oven ,which is quicker and cheaper to run ,as cooking time is much reduced.The brand ,I have is "House Wares'. I bought mine at Makro. But you should be able to buy one at any electrical goods retailer. A few brands available.I think i paid B 2,900 for mine about 3 years ago, very reliable.

You can buy them at the 'Power Mall' in Emporium, it's not so cheap there. Often the prices on display are discounted, especially on larger items.

I picked up a small electric grill there as I like the occasional grilled cheese on toast and my gas oven doesn't have a grill on it. I can't remember how much they are but they have every kitchen product you can imagine there.

A couple of options. You can buy a "normal"design benchtop oven , or you can get a Convection oven. I am now addicted to my Convection oven ,which is quicker and cheaper to run ,as cooking time is much reduced.The brand ,I have is "House Wares'. I bought mine at Makro. But you should be able to buy one at any electrical goods retailer. A few brands available.I think i paid B 2,900 for mine about 3 years ago, very reliable.

I've got to agree with this recommendation. So easy to use, heats up so fast and cooks so well. I got mine from Robinson and love it. It does take a bit of getting used to/experimentation but there are many recipes out there using them as an oven. Mainly RV / Caravan owners but with some great ideas.

A friend has a combo microwave/convection (Samsung, I believe) that is amazing. He cooked two 1 kg chickens simultaneously in 30 minutes. The skin came out nice and crispy while the meat inside remained moist and tasty. A temp. probe automatically sensed when they were done.

Not cheap, his was about B20,000 but if you can afford it, you'll enjoy it.

CONSUMER REPORTS tested some countertop ovens several months ago. As I recall, there was a wide disparity between models. The ones that were more like toaster ovens didn't do very well roasting.

A friend has a combo microwave/convection (Samsung, I believe) that is amazing. He cooked two 1 kg chickens simultaneously in 30 minutes. The skin came out nice and crispy while the meat inside remained moist and tasty. A temp. probe automatically sensed when they were done.

I am also interested in replacing my standard microwave with a combo micro/convection.

Can anybody recommend a model for less than 10,000 baht? (Probably one that is smaller than the one mentioned above, only one chook at a time.)

Bought ours in Robinsons BKK a few years back..basically a toaster oven with a fan and rotisserie...good for everything from toast to bread..make is Nesco.. Thai made..can't remember exact price but less than 5k I think...

..lol.... just watch it'll probably die now....

edit: added pic..yes I promise to clean it...sometime..

Edited by David006

Not cheap, his was about B20,000 but if you can afford it, you'll enjoy it.

CONSUMER REPORTS tested some countertop ovens several months ago. As I recall, there was a wide disparity between models. The ones that were more like toaster ovens didn't do very well roasting.

Many thanks to all for the really helpful replies,Regards,OP

I am surprised to hear so many positive posts. I always thought these things were just a gimmick for mugs..... evidently not :)

My Mrs. is a keen cook - she likes to make things like caserloes, stuffed chickens, sunday roasts, etc.

She also likes to grill things - chicken and fish in particular.

Are these things suitable for what I describe with comparable results to a "real" over / grill?

I am surprised to hear so many positive posts. I always thought these things were just a gimmick for mugs..... evidently not :)

My Mrs. is a keen cook - she likes to make things like caserloes, stuffed chickens, sunday roasts, etc.

Are these things suitable for what I describe with comparable results to a "real" over / grill?

No ,for things like casseroles ,you need a slow cooker. I have 2 ,a large one and a small one, HANABISHI, and they are excellent. For anything that needs time to produce wonderful eating results.I often let mine cook for 24 hours, still very cheap to operate . For roasts ,I would suggest a Convection oven, not a traditional oven. Much cheaper ,and quicker. I use both and have done for many years.With superb results

No ,for things like casseroles ,you need a slow cooker. I have 2 ,a large one and a small one, HANABISHI, and they are excellent. For anything that needs time to produce wonderful eating results.I often let mine cook for 24 hours, still very cheap to operate . For roasts ,I would suggest a Convection oven, not a traditional oven. Much cheaper ,and quicker. I use both and have done for many years.With superb results

Hi,I agree I really like slow cookers ( just eaten a sublime meal from one) are these available at Makro also,

Regards,OP ?

Another option worth considering are the halogen ovens, I swear by mine. I can cook a perfect roast dinner and have also cooked pies, cakes and the like.

Sell for about 1000 Baht in places like Tesco, Big C and shopping malls.

That's really interesting. I always assumed they were a gimmick like so many products pushed on late night TV.

Could you elaborate a bit more about what it can do?

Hi,I agree I really like slow cookers ( just eaten a sublime meal from one) are these available at Makro also,

Regards,OP ?

I believe so.Can also get at most electrical shops.I may have even seen them at big C

Another option worth considering are the halogen ovens, I swear by mine. I can cook a perfect roast dinner and have also cooked pies, cakes and the like.

Sell for about 1000 Baht in places like Tesco, Big C and shopping malls.

That's really interesting. I always assumed they were a gimmick like so many products pushed on late night TV.

Could you elaborate a bit more about what it can do?

Basically anything an oven can do, I really brought mine to cook roast dinners and I have to say the they roast meat perfectly, you would probably struggle to get a whole turkey or a leg of lamb in though, but for smaller joints they are fine. I usually buy ready made pies and they heat them up so they are nice and crispy, unlike the soggy results from microwaves, but I have baked pies from scratch, also scones and small cakes. The recipe book was in Thai so most of my results are by trial and error, and google, so far nothing has gone wrong. Yesterday I knocked up a pretty mean apple crumble, one of my girlfriends favourites, it knocked spots of the one we paid 350 Baht for in The Huntsman last week.

Like you I thought they were a gimmick, we were staying with friends in the UK a couple of years back and pointed an advert for one in the Mail on Sunday, I suggested we get one next time we were over, think they were about £60, it's then that my girlfriend told me they sold them in Big C, quite why she hadn't told be before I don't know. My mate told me that his brother, who is a chef, swears by his.

Convection ovens can be bought with either Stainless Steel or Glass. I have had both ,Someone dunked the top ( complete with electrics,in a bath. Stoofed it were!!! Big Time. The one I have,now is Stainless .I find it much better .very easy to clean as well.

• 2 weeks later...

This is inspiring stuff.

Do they come as grill / oven combi units? If so, with a grill / cnvection oven benchtop combi, would I be able to:

• Roast meat such as pork, beef, lamb, stuffed chicked - as I would in a normal floor standing full sized (600mm / 24" wide) oven?
  • Grille meat such as back bacon, chiken wings, suasages, burgers, fish, etc.
  • Bake cakes, break, scones, etc.
  • Do roast potatoes, yorkshire puddings, etc.
  • Do propoer (from frozen) oven chips.

Please can people advise:

• The brand and model of you unit
  • Approximate cost
  • Where you bought it, and when

Many thanks in advance. Heretofore I thought the only / cheapest option was a 35,000 baht floor standing oven/hob combi (which would also require an electrician to wire it!)!

In the 'Samsung Living Solutions' Issue 2 2011 catalogue there are 2 convection/grill/microwave ovens shown costing 7,990 and 6,990 baht respectively.

I have been on the look out for one myself but have found very few models in the shops, and when you do ask the assistants they don't seem to know the difference. Also there are 'steam cooking' ovens which are not convection to further confuse things

Buyer beware!!

In the 'Samsung Living Solutions' Issue 2 2011 catalogue there are 2 convection/grill/microwave ovens shown costing 7,990 and 6,990 baht respectively.

I have been on the look out for one myself but have found very few models in the shops, and when you do ask the assistants they don't seem to know the difference. Also there are 'steam cooking' ovens which are not convection to further confuse things

Buyer beware!!

Indeed yes - I was at Robinsons last weekend; they had a couple of models costing about 3000 baht or so - then there were "steam cooking" versions costing 15000+.

Due to the fact that th vast majority of girls working in places like Robinsons would not know how to boil an egg, and have probably been raised eating take away street food, and continue to do so...... and certainly have no experience oven-cooking anything remotely western, then I would not listen to anything they have to say, in general.

Buyer beware in indeed!

the sharp healsio is the business, but only if you have 20k.

Microwave, grill, convection and superheated steam.

Amazing low fat/no oil meat cooked. had french fries cooked at a friends last night, and they were amazing and cooked without oil.

Apparently killer fro roasting and the like.

google healsio oven

the sharp healsio is the business, but only if you have 20k.

Microwave, grill, convection and superheated steam.

Amazing low fat/no oil meat cooked. had french fries cooked at a friends last night, and they were amazing and cooked without oil.

Apparently killer fro roasting and the like.

google healsio oven

I saw a top of the line Healsio at the nearby electronic shop here in Tokyo... The price... about 58k Baht. :blink: Ahem... I did not buy it.

TheWalkingMan

I have heard that these benchtop ovens have a tendency to catch fire. Any truth to that? Also, can you bake bread with them?

Not quite sure ,what you mean by "bench top" I have a convection oven ,have been using them for over 12 years. NEVER any fire .Cook, bake -anything ,yes. Just don't "immerse" the "lid" in water. Stoooooooofs it superbly. My previously dearly beloved did that !!! That costs. !!!!

I also recommend a convection oven/ does and excellent job on anything we've cooked in it,

I brought one over from usa ( I rewired it for 240v)

only thing you need to watch is cooking time, as I find the thermostat is not too accurate, and as for fires, just don't set anything on the top ( even when off since its easy to forget to take that dish towel or whatever off)

The two models mentioned above are available at the Emporium and are discounted to 5,447 and 4,447 baht respectively. Just dont expect the staff to be able to tell you what the difference is between them apart from the styling.

I know this isn't my thread - I hijacked it somewhat (sorry OP, but at least its on topic), but I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that contributed.

Anyway, I bought a "Home Worth" model. Its a convection oven with grill. Its quite big, almost as big a a real over. We just had a lovely roast chicken out of it, and it was great.

FYI - bought it at Robinsons, it was about 7000THB reduced to 5,500 THB. That had another similar model for 4900, it was just a bit smaller (the exact same one is 3,900 at makro).

So far, we are really happy with it - I have every faith that we will be cooking everything from sunday roast to a christmas turkey to bread :)

I am also interested in replacing my standard microwave with a combo micro/convection.

Can anybody recommend a model for less than 10,000 baht? (Probably one that is smaller than the one mentioned above, only one chook at a time.)

Just bought a Samsung 1100 Watt conventional grill with 850 watt microwave. Haven't used the grill yet. Cost 3000 baht - in both Makro and Big C. 3500 baht in Tesco.

I also have a homeworks convection oven from Tesco like a previous poster but I'm not so keen on them - the temp doesn't go as high as a table top oven (I measured it with an oven thermometer) and they don't cook as quickly as advertised - I prefer table top or conventional ovens although convection ovens are certainly more convenient, cleaner and Ok for small things. Table tops are good for toasting bread as well.