Where Do Pub Girls Learn English

Stan42

Where do pub girls learn their English?

Obviously they need this to pick up rich white men, but I doubt they can afford English lessons, yet they speak better English than the average Thai. So... where'd they learn it? Enlighten me...

They may know a little from their school days which they then build on hen they come in to contact with English speaking tourists/expats.

They often learn some phrases from their fellow workers hence the perpetuation of certain phrases (I'll leave the listing of said phrases to you lot but we all know 'em)

Various charities and NGOs such as Empower sporadically give out free materials, lessons etc.

Some are self taught.

Well from each other of course,and some have claimed there is a BarGirls phrase book available (havent seen it myself)

But it does seem possible when you consider they all repeat the same thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hello Sexy man/......hansum man ......where you go.............love you long time............welcome................etc

Well from each other of course,and some have claimed there is a BarGirls phrase book available (havent seen it myself)

I've seen bargirl phrasebooks on sale at 7-11s near farang bar areas

Edited by DP25

at the language school I attended for Thai lessons there were also classes for English, German, introduction to computers/internet skills.

A mix of people attending, some sent by their employer for English and in their eg smart eg bank uniform, some I guessed to be bar girls, got asked a few times to translate/assist when they had practice time on the computers - sending emails to overseas boyfriends.

There are NO phrase books for Bar Girls, specifically. There are a large number of phrase books, sold in ALL bookshops, to a broad spectrum of Thais. Wanting to improve their English. Sadly, of varying quality. But the girls working in bars, get themselves corrected very quickly, When they make mistakes . Upshot? These girls are way ahead of most Thais speaking English. Don't forget ,these girls are generally using spoken English every day. Practice makes perfect.

Edited by afarang

There are NO phrase books for Bar Girls, specifically. There are a large number of phrase books, sold in ALL bookshops, to a broad spectrum of Thais. Wanting to improve their English. Sadly, of varying quality. But the girls working in bars, get themselves corrected very quickly, When they make mistakes . Upshot? These girls are way ahead of most Thais speaking English. Don't forget ,these girls are generally using spoken English every day. Practice makes perfect.

I don't like to be argumentative, but there is at least one phrase book for people in the drinking and whoring trade, as customers or suppliers; at least, that was the impression I got from the Thai script, which would be redundant were it aimed solely at the foreigner. I guess the supplier side is a fairly big and affluent market. Personally, I've never been one for buying text books, and try to just make it up as i go along

SC

I don't like to be argumentative, but there is at least one phrase book for people in the drinking and whoring trade, as customers or suppliers; at least, that was the impression I got from the Thai script, which would be redundant were it aimed solely at the foreigner. I guess the supplier side is a fairly big and affluent market. Personally, I've never been one for buying text books, and try to just make it up as i go along

SC

Of the books published for Thais ,none are aimed at the farang market. They are a different class of instructive tomes.Not one for the drinking and whoring ,as you so delicately put it.But masses for the hospitality and service trades. A part of which may be the occupations ,you have alluded to.

My first Thai book purchase appears to be such a book.

I purchased it after sitting with a Thai girl in a bar, she was reading it and practiced with me for a while.

post-137729-0-01079200-1313124587_thumb.

post-137729-0-75215400-1313125051_thumb.

post-137729-0-88890600-1313125301_thumb.

It is very explicit and I can't imagine it having much use for the general Thai population.

Edited by ludditeman

I previously worked at a University in Bangkok, on my first day I walked into a classroom, one of the girls there started to ask the usual questions, like "What is your name?, Where do you come from?, How old are you? Why did you come to Thailand?, You like Thai ladies?" I thought hey her English is pretty good, however the week after we were doing a topic from a book and she had no clues. One of the other teachers said he had seen her in a bar downtown, then it clicked, she was working there to get punters into the bar, using the questions and a few others she used on me in the classroom.

I purchased it after sitting with a Thai girl in a bar, she was reading it and practiced with me for a while.

It is very explicit and I can't imagine it having much use for the general Thai population.

I stand corrected .When and where did you find it?As i remarked before , the quality of the translations of the many books I have seen is very poor. But the girls were often ,quickly corrected, not so those who worked on other areas of hospitality and did not get to have extended conversations with farang

There are NO phrase books for Bar Girls, specifically. There are a large number of phrase books, sold in ALL bookshops, to a broad spectrum of Thais. Wanting to improve their English. Sadly, of varying quality. But the girls working in bars, get themselves corrected very quickly, When they make mistakes . Upshot? These girls are way ahead of most Thais speaking http://static.thaivisa.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gifEnglish. Don't forget ,these girls are generally using spoken English every day. Practice makes perfect.

I stand corrected .When and where did you find it?As i remarked before , the quality of the translations of the many books I have seen is very poor. But the girls were often ,quickly corrected, not so those who worked on other areas of hospitality and did not get to have extended conversations with farang

There is a russian version as well now!

post-34593-0-50904500-1313130784_thumb.j

There are NO phrase books for Bar Girls, specifically. There are a large number of phrase books, sold in ALL bookshops, to a broad spectrum of Thais. Wanting to improve their English. Sadly, of varying quality. But the girls working in bars, get themselves corrected very quickly, When they make mistakes . Upshot? These girls are way ahead of most Thais speaking http://static.thaivi...34r.gifEnglish. Don't forget ,these girls are generally using spoken English every day. Practice makes perfect.

There is a russian version as well now!

Now, that says a lot about the future of tourism in Thailand ,Does it not?

Where ever I've been, I've been told that the best way to learn any language is in bed.

I've heard that too, though I seriously doubt people begin to recite Shakespeare in the middle of sex.

"Get rich quick English for bar girls"

Just when you thought you've seen everything...

Where ever I've been, I've been told that the best way to learn any language is in bed.

I've heard that too, though I seriously doubt people begin to recite Shakespeare in the middle of sex.

"Get rich quick English for bar girls"

Just when you thought you've seen everything...

A bit of irony, as Mr. Shakespeare's English [or his devilish wit] wouldn't be understood in today's world. Literally and figuratively. Why the references...I'll never know.