Where Do Pub Girls Learn English

Stan42

I was once told " you is very hansum man , only one big ear " by an aging pub dragon . Oh how I laughed .

So for me the question is why do pub girls learn to say the things they say ?

Initially ,it is because ,they have no English language skills.But they DO get corrected, and develop more than passable English. As I have said before ,IF you are using any language daily, your proficiency automaticaly increases. And they are using English every day.But , given the dearth of English speaking tourists, They n\might , now be developing so well. Speak Russian, my love?Is that the way to go?

I was once told " you is very hansum man , only one big ear " by an aging pub dragon . Oh how I laughed .

So for me the question is why do pub girls learn to say the things they say ?

Initially ,it is because ,they have no English language skills.But they DO get corrected, and develop more than passable English. As I have said before ,IF you are using any language daily, your proficiency automaticaly increases. And they are using English every day.But , given the dearth of English speaking tourists, They n\might , now be developing so well. Speak Russian, my love?Is that the way to go?

That's a bit of a da / neit answer . They wouldn't really need to learn Russian propper , they could just watch loads of cold war era spy movies and learn the baddies lines by heart in English but with a Russian accent . "Now yoo die capitalist pig", and so on.

Vrom Russky wiv lov .

There are NO phrase books for Bar Girls, specifically. There are a large number of phrase books, sold in ALL bookshops, to a broad spectrum of Thais. Wanting to improve their English. Sadly, of varying quality. But the girls working in bars, get themselves corrected very quickly, When they make mistakes . Upshot? These girls are way ahead of most Thais speaking http://static.thaivisa.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gifEnglish. Don't forget ,these girls are generally using spoken English every day. Practice makes perfect.

My first Thai book purchase appears to be such a book.

I purchased it after sitting with a Thai girl in a bar, she was reading it and practiced with me for a while.

post-137729-0-01079200-1313124587_thumb.

post-137729-0-75215400-1313125051_thumb.

post-137729-0-88890600-1313125301_thumb.

It is very explicit and I can't imagine it having much use for the general Thai population.

I stand corrected .When and where did you find it?As i remarked before , the quality of the translations of the many books I have seen is very poor. But the girls were often ,quickly corrected, not so those who worked on other areas of hospitality and did not get to have extended conversations with farang

There is a russian version as well now!

There's a version for Taxi Drivers also!

Includes handy phrases such as:

Very far....250Baht no meter!

Pattaya B6,000 very good price!

not Shakespeare, and not a bargirl either; we've been to a restaurant several times where the owners' daughter helps out on weekends, about 15-16 and is learning a very formal style of English at school; a couple of example from the first time we went there:

"Would you like a drink to accompany your meal, sir?"

"May I ask what nationality you are?"

All her English is like that - correct and very polite.

There must be a whole school class, or classes, out there, sounding like BBC newsreaders of old.

Next time I'll ask to see her textbook.

Having watched some interviews with the rioting youth of England in recent days - their 'English' is very much removed from what I recognise - and I doubt they'd understand the young woman in my example.

Wot?

Edited by Atmos

TV is another way they learn. English with Thai subtitles.

Although the Thai translation isn't always right, they learn to take that into account.

And they read the subtitles. They do not have time or inclination to listen to the spoken English too.

Although the Thai translation isn't always right, they learn to take that into account.

And they read the subtitles. They do not have time or inclination to listen to the spoken English too.

If they're trying to learn English, they do listen. I've done it myself trying to learn Spanish.

You've got to be a Brit.

Hello handsome man. Come inside have a look please. Welcome. Sit here OK. What you drink? Carlsberg no have. No have long time. Heineken same OK? Moment please. Have a look, many pretty lady for you.

You want? You want lady sit you tell me. What? OK, I sit with you. You handsome man. Pen knon arai? You speak Thai? Nit noi? I speak English little bit. Where you come from? America? Cannot. I think you look same same Hong Kong. No? Not same? Your face I think no look American. Live America, OK, I know, but your face look—OK, OK, American.

My name Lek.

You stay hotel? Work Thailand? Have condo? How long you stay Thailand? One year, why you no speak Thai? You need Thai teacher? I teach you Thai. You like Thailand? Sanook di mai? Khao jai mai? Oh, you can speak Thai. Geng maak. How old you? I think you look younger. You look – very good, very good. Me? Twenty-two. Work here two year. I no see you here before, you not come? I used to dancing dancing but now just welcome. Dancing too much talk talk okay better.

Can you buy me drink?

I come Buri Ram. You know? Isaan. North-east Thailand. Very beautiful. Many girl work here come Isaan, you know? You go Isaan? No? Very hot. Bangkok better, have friend here. Live with my sister. Father mother me have farm in Buri Ram, rambutan. You know rambutan? Only summer, aloi maak. Very good but money no good. You have brother sister? No? stay alone? Have wife? No? Girlfriend? I think you have many many. No?

Cheers.

Have no boyfriend. Have boyfriend before but no boyfriend now. Have Thai boyfriend Buri Ram but no good. Thai man no good, drink too much no work. I have farang boyfriend in Bangkok but he go back Israel. I no see him long time but he call me. He want me to stop work bar but he no give me money. I work bar send money to father mother Buri Ram, have no boyfriend. Have to take care sister me.

You buy drink for my friend? My sister, name Noi. Not same sister me live together, this my sister work bar. You have friend, can go with Noi. No? You like other lady, you tell me I bring. Me? You like me? You want I go with you. Can pay bar fine 500 baht OK? You like me I happy can go with you. OK mai?

Where you go?

You no like me? Where you go? I go with you. We go dancing OK? Have disco open late, I know can go. You pay bar I go with you. What? Meet you? I meet you? Cannot. Work here. You pay bar I go. You no pay bar I no go. Pay bar OK? Work late. After? After work go home? Can go dancing, but go now. You pay bar I go now. Why you no pay bar? Where you go?

OK, check. You give tip for me? No? You no like me? Where you go? Go home now? OK, I go with you! Just joking. Next time. You come back I go with you.

Not the nation

Here's a question that's, I hope, within the topic thread.

How come none of the Thai women speak English with a British accent? I've only met one that did. All the others speak English without the British accent.

I've been to other countries where those who've learned English do speak it with a British accent, but not Thailand. How come?

Hello handsome man. Come inside have a look please. Welcome. Sit here OK. What you drink? Carlsberg no have. No have long time. Heineken same OK? Moment please. Have a look, many pretty lady for you.

You want? You want lady sit you tell me. What? OK, I sit with you. You handsome man. Pen knon arai? You speak Thai? Nit noi? I speak English little bit. Where you come from? America? Cannot. I think you look same same Hong Kong. No? Not same? Your face I think no look American. Live America, OK, I know, but your face look—OK, OK, American.

My name Lek.

You stay hotel? Work Thailand? Have condo? How long you stay Thailand? One year, why you no speak Thai? You need Thai teacher? I teach you Thai. You like Thailand? Sanook di mai? Khao jai mai? Oh, you can speak Thai. Geng maak. How old you? I think you look younger. You look – very good, very good. Me? Twenty-two. Work here two year. I no see you here before, you not come? I used to dancing dancing but now just welcome. Dancing too much talk talk okay better.

Can you buy me drink?

I come Buri Ram. You know? Isaan. North-east Thailand. Very beautiful. Many girl work here come Isaan, you know? You go Isaan? No? Very hot. Bangkok better, have friend here. Live with my sister. Father mother me have farm in Buri Ram, rambutan. You know rambutan? Only summer, aloi maak. Very good but money no good. You have brother sister? No? stay alone? Have wife? No? Girlfriend? I think you have many many. No?

Cheers.

Have no boyfriend. Have boyfriend before but no boyfriend now. Have Thai boyfriend Buri Ram but no good. Thai man no good, drink too much no work. I have farang boyfriend in Bangkok but he go back Israel. I no see him long time but he call me. He want me to stop work bar but he no give me money. I work bar send money to father mother Buri Ram, have no boyfriend. Have to take care sister me.

You buy drink for my friend? My sister, name Noi. Not same sister me live together, this my sister work bar. You have friend, can go with Noi. No? You like other lady, you tell me I bring. Me? You like me? You want I go with you. Can pay bar fine 500 baht OK? You like me I happy can go with you. OK mai?

Where you go?

You no like me? Where you go? I go with you. We go dancing OK? Have disco open late, I know can go. You pay bar I go with you. What? Meet you? I meet you? Cannot. Work here. You pay bar I go. You no pay bar I no go. Pay bar OK? Work late. After? After work go home? Can go dancing, but go now. You pay bar I go now. Why you no pay bar? Where you go?

OK, check. You give tip for me? No? You no like me? Where you go? Go home now? OK, I go with you! Just joking. Next time. You come back I go with you.

Not the nation

Does she ever shut-up!?!:o

<deleted>....take a breath, girl!;)

If they're trying to learn English, they do listen. I've done it myself trying to learn Spanish.

You've got to be a Brit.

Draw a Z and ask them to pronounce it. You can buy me a drink. I am cheap though I only drink soda and, three beers for my nurses.

Here's a question that's, I hope, within the topic thread.

How come none of the Thai women speak English with a British accent? I've only met one that did. All the others speak English without the British accent.

I've been to other countries where those who've learned English do speak it with a British accent, but not Thailand. How come?

I think American movies and series affect us more?

Can you imagine the first time a bargirl heard a European call her husband (or vice-versa) Darling? They must have, at first, been stunned, but after they figured it out, they must have pissed themselves laughing.

Yeah, the same way I give bar girls <deleted> when they call me 'darling'. Usually, the next words out of their mouth are 'farang know too mutt'. To which I call them a 'ho' in a language they don't understand.

Same place foreigners who frequents pubs learn their Thai even though they can very well afford Thai lessons but somehow choose not to and then gets hooked on a poor bar girl, gets married and divorce few years later cos of poor communication, becomes bitter and comes to TV and blasts everyone who don't agree with their theories and logic about Thailand and her people.

Where do pub girls learn their English?

Obviously they need this to pick up rich white men, but I doubt they can afford English lessons, yet they speak better English than the average Thai. So... where'd they learn it? Enlighten me...