Nokia Dieing Slowly

supashot

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorely tempted to buy some Nokia stock. Sound crazy? The book value is nearly double the price of the stock.

So what' stopping you? Why talk about it, just do it.

A forum happens to be a place for opinions. Is there a problem with you that I asked for opinions?

pointed to the low-end smartphone market. “The low-end price point war is an important part of that,” Elop said, adding that Nokia “absolutely” plans to offer Windows Phones at a lower price than the Lumia 610. “We had plans already to go lower than the 610,” he said,

What? Nobody wants cheaper/lower quality phones. However, these same people that might buy a low-end Windows phone are not going to be using Windows 8 at the end of the year.

They're trying to take a "premium" product, and dumb/cheap it down to sell them to developing countries. That's what I understand, right? This strikes me as a bad idea. Elop is running this company into the ground. Investors should be very upset, but I think the people of Finland should be even more upset.

• 2 weeks later...

A good recap on the latest developments for Windows Phone and Nokia

http://blog.gsmarena.com/editorial-a-few-thoughts-on-windows-phone-8/

Includes the following excerpt re Nokia:

• Speaking of hardware manufacturers, yesterday’s proceedings mean that Nokia has only one shot at survival now. The fact that WP8 won’t be coming to legacy hardware means all current WP smartphones lost a huge chunk of their value. Who would buy a smartphone that is guaranteed to be obsolete in three month’s time? With Nokia Lumia 900 just gone global, the announcement couldn’t come at a worse time for the company’s Q3 performance.

Nokia shot themselves in the foot in a similar fashion last year by announcing the switch to Windows Phone months before having a product ready for market release, instead of trying to squeeze some extra cash out of Symbian, which is now desperately needed to buy the company some extra time. With yesterday’s announcement all current Lumias (and all of their WP7.5 peers for that matter) were relegated overnight to low-margin products and with a Nokia WP8 smartphone unlikely to appear before October (and that’s the optimistic scenario), this is certainly not what the doctor ordered for the Finns’ ailing finances.

• Then again, the fact that Nokia is up against the ropes might mean that users will get a competitively-priced well-built monster of a WP8 smartphone as a Christmas gift. Imagine a Krait-powered PureView smartphone with a 720p screen. I certainly wouldn’t mind taking something like that for a spin.

• 3 weeks later...

Lumia 900: Dashed Hopes for a Hero Phone

PUBLISHED: JULY 03, 2012

ANALYST: CARL HOWECO-AUTHOR(S): KATIE LEWIS

THE BOTTOM LINE:

Nokia and Microsoft are actively jockeying to be the third major smartphone ecosystem against Androids and iPhones, which now account for three-fourths of the U.S. smartphone market. With AT&T on its side, Nokia’s Windows Phone-powered Lumia 900 promised to catapult both brands into a respectable position within the marketplace. But due to a series of launch missteps, owners now aren’t happy with their phones and AT&T, Microsoft and Nokia must find a way to recover.

HIGHLIGHTS

A triad has formed to promote the Nokia Lumia 900. Faced with unique challenges in the smartphone market, three players—AT&T, Nokia and Microsoft—joined forces to launch the Nokia Lumia 900, promising that its launch would be even more aggressive than the debut of Apple’s iPhone in 2007. First-time smartphone buyers have taken note of the so-called iPhone competitor. More than 60 percent of today’s Lumia 900 owners said they did not own a smartphone prior to buying their device. Price mattered more than twice as much as other characteristics. Thirty-seven percent of Lumia 900 owners said price, above device aesthetics, mobile apps and user interface, was the most influential factor in their decision to purchase the device.

Despite best efforts, the Nokia Lumia 900 isn’t delivering on its promises. On a 1-5 rating scale, 42 percent of respondents to our survey answered 1, that they are not likely at all to recommend the Nokia Lumia 900 to a friend or family member.

(Note that this phone was practically given away.)

Finally, Nokia has a back-up plan from when Windows Phone goes belly up...

Nokia's Back-Up Plan: Android?

Nokia board chairman Risto Siilasmaa said on a Finnish television show that the company has a contingency plan just in case the company has troubled winning adoption for its Windows Phone-based devices.

Speaking on a program broadcast on Finnish national broadcaster Yle, he reportedly said that the company is confident that Windows Phone 8 will be successful but that the company has a back-up plan in case something should go awry. He didn’t specify what that plan includes although a reasonable guess would be that the company would follow the crowd and adopt Android.

He also expressed confidence in Nokia CEO Stephen Elop.

(This last statement means they're going to fire him shortly. ;) )

https://www.google.com/search?sugexp=chrome,mod=8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=nokia+back+up+plan

It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion. If only they had experimented with making a few Android phones, back in the day. If they had made even just made one, maybe it would have been enough of a wakeup call to change the company's direction.

Oh well. Back to sniffing glue in the executive washroom...

Nokia stock down to year lows of $1.60 something.... Get 'em while they're hot... Second quarter earnings, or lack thereof, coming soon.

I believe it's still/now paying close to a 10 percent dividend based on the current stock price, but no one's betting how long that's going to last.

I'm sorely tempted to buy some Nokia stock. Sound crazy? The book value is nearly double the price of the stock.

I'm finally thinking to do the same. Nokia has still quite a good amount of cash. More than 1 euro/stock.

Factories, patents etc has some value as well.

When ever the Eflop / Windows phone madness is going to end, Nokia can slowly rebuild itself.

Finally, Nokia has a back-up plan from when Windows Phone goes belly up...

Nokia's Back-Up Plan: Android?

Nokia board chairman Risto Siilasmaa said on a Finnish television show that the company has a contingency plan just in case the company has troubled winning adoption for its Windows Phone-based devices.

Speaking on a program broadcast on Finnish national broadcaster Yle, he reportedly said that the company is confident that Windows Phone 8 will be successful but that the company has a back-up plan in case something should go awry. He didn’t specify what that plan includes although a reasonable guess would be that the company would follow the crowd and adopt Android.

He also expressed confidence in Nokia CEO Stephen Elop.

(This last statement means they're going to fire him shortly. wink.png )

https://www.google.c...ia back up plan

Nokia has always been good with the hardware part, but the software has unfortunately sucked. Symbian was way too long dominant OS. Maemo/Meego was an hope, but it was not given the resources to keep up with the development. I suppose the only reason why Nokia released N9 was as there had been a deal with Intel that Nokia will release an 'Meego' device.

It seems that Elop has almost systematically destroyed Nokia's future by only focusing to WP platform and making sure that Nokia is Microsoft's little servant. Killing Meltemi, which was supposed to replace S40 platform was a one awful move.

Just few day ago Nokia decided to give Nokia Maps to all WP manufacturers. This was one thing which Nokia could have differentiate from other manufacturers. It also tells that WP is just not flying and all kind of sacrifices has to be made. Great for Microsoft, not so great for Nokia. I hope that the license fees are high enough.. but given the current way Nokia is managed I doubt it.

Hopefully Siilasmaa has the balls to change this current down spiral. Finding a new CEO is of course essential. This can be a difficult call as most of the CEO grade leaders has already left Nokia after Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo (the bean counter man) was selected to success Jorma Ollila. Maybe Nokia could hire someone outside, but where to find competent enough person who is willing to take the job? Also how long will the CEO grade leaders have to wait from resigning from old company to join another one?

I think there is a fast way to if the changes are kicking in. Use the existing HW and port Meego/Android to it. Commit to the 'new' OS for an long term (and communicate this to the customers who have been let down prviously). Let the devices go to the markets together with the WP versions of the same HW. Let the markets decide what people really want.

Nokia stock down to year lows of $1.60 something.... Get 'em while they're hot... Second quarter earnings, or lack thereof, coming soon.

I believe it's still/now paying close to a 10 percent dividend based on the current stock price, but no one's betting how long that's going to last.

I've always heard "don't try to catch a falling knife"...

Nokia Map for Thailand couldn't even manage to number the Jomtien sois correctly. I complained several times and finally they started asking me for more information. I finally told them to look at their map and compare it to Google map. Google map is not that great either but at least the sois are numbered correctly.

Just today I loaded the Nokia map on my computer and was quite surprised to see that Jomtien is up to date and recently completed roads are now shown. It is now considerably better than the Google map.

I then went to update the map on my E52 Nokia and found that my phone is too old, that sucks. The E52 was released three years ago. Scrolling down a little further I found they are indeed offering the map to Android users. I did download it to my Android phone and found it works pretty well but is lacking in easy to use functions. Maps cannot be downloaded so you have to use your Internet connection. It also seems to have some other problems. The second time I went to put in a route, it said that automobile routing is not available and to try later.

My quoted comment above was really more in the realm of sarcasm.... not investment advice... smile.png

I did download it to my Android phone and found it works pretty well but is lacking in easy to use functions. Maps cannot be downloaded so you have to use your Internet connection. It also seems to have some other problems. The second time I went to put in a route, it said that automobile routing is not available and to try later.

Gary, how are you accessing the Nokia maps for Thailand via your Android phone? A web page or download or what???

I did download it to my Android phone and found it works pretty well but is lacking in easy to use functions. Maps cannot be downloaded so you have to use your Internet connection. It also seems to have some other problems. The second time I went to put in a route, it said that automobile routing is not available and to try later.

Gary, how are you accessing the Nokia maps for Thailand via your Android phone? A web page or download or what???

It's available from the Google Play Store market page or you can use your phone browser. It's a small download.

maps.nokia.com

• 2 weeks later...

My quoted comment above was really more in the realm of sarcasm.... not investment advice... smile.png

Well, if you had bought the share at the time.. Now it's 73% up.. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Nokia's (NOK) Lumia 920 Boasts Faster Speed, More Memory, Incredible Cameraresize_NOK%20Lumia920Group.jpg

So, Nokia (NYSE: NOK) held its event with Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) today to debut its next series of Lumia devices: the 820 and 920.

So, what did Nokia bring to the table with its Windows Phone 8-based Lumia? We'll be focusing on the 920 model, though the 820 shares many specs.

Initially, and only half-jokingly, the Lumia 920 comes in way more colors, such as a yellow and red. And gray, clearly.

But, there's more under the hood. The Lumia 920 gets:

• a dual-core 1.5-GHz Snapdragon processor from QUALCOMM (Nasdaq: QCOM). The processor is also used on the HTC One X and Samsung Galaxy S III;
  • 1-GB of RAM;
  • 32-GB of storage;
  • a 4.5-inch PureMotion HD+ IPS LCD;
  • 8.7-megapixel PureView camera;
  • 1080p video recording;
  • NFC capability;
  • wireless charging; and
  • WLAN network positioning.

MORE:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Analyst Calls Nokia (NOK) WIN8 Smartphone Event "a Disappointment"

September 5, 2012 12:30 PM EDT

Nokia Corp. (NYSE: NOK) introduced its new Windows 8 smartphones, Lumia 920 and 820, today and things looked promising: A camera with PureView technology which allows more light in pictures and image stabilization, increasing picture quality; City Lens, an augmented reality technology, which combines the PureView camera with location based services to display points of interest while looking through the camera; heck it even has wireless charging and you can use the phone with gloves on. But despite the hype, shares are getting dumped hard.

This has investors scratching their heads.

Analysts at Wells Fargo said this is related to the lack of any positive surprises, carrier announcements or specific launch dates.

On the lack of carriers, Wells said, "We had expected that Nokia would announce AT&T as the exclusive launch partner for the 920 and likely TMobile and T as partners for the 820, but NOK provided no color on carrier partners,"

On timing and pricing, "Nokia only indicated that the phones are expected in select markets later this year."

"Given the lack of carrier partner announcements, indefinite timing, and no unexpected product announcements, we view today's event as a disappointment."

Shares of Nokia are down 11 percent to $2.52.

http://www.streetinsider.com/Analyst+Comments/Analyst+Calls+Nokia+%28NOK%29+WIN8+Smartphone+Event+%22a+Disappointment%22/7704421.html

Tough time to announce new models given the slew of Samsung, Motorola announcements, Samsung even announced a Win8 phone, and the impending iPhone 5 announcement. Not having service provider distribution in place, defined pricing and availability, makes for a really poor announcement.

They seem to be running a pattern in that regard. The same lack of details exhibited in the recent MS Surface tablet announcement. Interesting device, but no pricing and lots of other details left in limbo.

Re the Lumia 920, one of the tech analysts I follow noted: "This is the phone Nokia needed... last year."

• 3 months later...

Well, if you had bought the share at the time.. Now it's 73% up.. smile.png

It's about the time to sell the Nokia stocks. It's now USD4.06. So it's more than double from the low mentioned here.

Amazon.com in the U.S. lately has been offering new models of the Nokia N8 in several colors for $199 U.S., or about 6,000 baht.

That WAS a pretty nice phone, and by most accounts had an excellent camera... But it's running Symbian 3, which is kind of a dead-end/dead OS....

I was tempted a bit to pick up one as a backup phone... But then, I decided, not quite worth the money for my purposes...

Still, quite a discount from what N8s were selling for a year or two back.

There is a thread on the Lumia here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/604529-nokia-lumia-920-anyone-seen-any-yet/

I saw it in all colours today, there are five in total for what it's worth.

I love it, it's a fabulous device if you are into Messaging, Calls and Navigation. The camera and associated software lenses are excellent too.

There is a thread on the Lumia here:

http://www.thaivisa....e-seen-any-yet/

I saw it in all colours today, there are five in total for what it's worth.

I love it, it's a fabulous device if you are into Messaging, Calls and Navigation. The camera and associated software lenses are excellent too.

Yep my thread, I reckon it is an awesome phone, my old N9 (meego) and Lumia 800(windows 7) pale in comparison.

A few issues to be aware of re the Nokia Lumia 920:

Limited app selection (compared to Android or IOS)

No microSD card

No FM radio

Non user-replaceable battery

No VPN capability in OS at present

And then the bigger question for me... Are Windows 8 phones going to have a sustained lifecycle and presence in the marketplace, or is the market dominance of Android and IOS so prevalent that Windows Phones are destined to become another also-ran at best...or Kin at worst...

A few issues to be aware of re the Nokia Lumia 920:

Limited app selection (compared to Android or IOS)

No microSD card

No FM radio

Non user-replaceable battery

No VPN capability in OS at present

And then the bigger question for me... Are Windows 8 phones going to have a sustained lifecycle and presence in the marketplace, or is the market dominance of Android and IOS so prevalent that Windows Phones are destined to become another also-ran at best...or Kin at worst...

VPN is rumoured to be coming in an update TBA February. Those of us still waiting for 7.8 won't be holding our breath. smile.png

http://mashable.com/2012/11/27/apollo-windows-phone-8/

Yes, I heard the rumor of a possible VPN update as well... Nothing confirmed as best as I can tell...

Kind of sad that MS would release a phone without that pretty basic capability. But even if they solve that particular lacking with a future update, that won't do anything to solve the other failings on what otherwise is considered to be a pretty good phone.