Small Cheap House Up To 1.5M

After looking at a few different options i.e. condo rental/buy etc. We have decided that we will buy a small house to use for the few days a month we need to be near the Airport (less than 2hrs). Considering outskirts of Bangkok, Sri Racha, Pattaya etc. We are thinking Pattaya area might be best as we will be withing driving distance of Western food and decent shopping outlets. Obviously we don't want to be near the beach world but somewhere far enough out to get an average place quite cheap. The house won't be an investment, just an alternative to long term rental as our main home up country is our family home but we need the convenience and storage near to Swampy.

I have seen a few places from 1mil to 1.5 mil on the limited websites I can find from google but any info or ideas wold be most welcome. Seen a few cheap places in East Pattaya, is this an OK area to live?

We don't want to go above 1.5m as I want to pay cash and not borrow.

Cheers

East Pattaya is the only place you will get for that price.....moobhan all Thais and very little parking. You get what you pay for and crime is rife plus of course travelling to and from Central Pattaya will take time and expense if you dont have a car/bike..just over 2 Mil gets a lot more options

East Pattaya is the only place you will get for that price.....moobhan all Thais and very little parking. You get what you pay for and crime is rife plus of course travelling to and from Central Pattaya will take time and expense if you dont have a car/bike..just over 2 Mil gets a lot more options

This is very true where the lower end properties are located.

JH

Yes has to agree with the first 2 answers. Some of those low end moo bans often don't use guards at the gate, but only an empty guard house and a open boom, anybody can drive in.

Have you considered a cheap condo/studio? At least there you can install a very strong door and only limited access to you floor/apartment

Yes has to agree with the first 2 answers. Some of those low end moo bans often don't use guards at the gate, but only an empty guard house and a open boom, anybody can drive in.

Have you considered a cheap condo/studio? At least there you can install a very strong door and only limited access to you floor/apartment

Hmm, good points to consider. The reason we started thinking about houses was it seemed you could get a 2 Bed house for 1.5m and under whereas I thought for that price you would just get a studio. Parking is also an option as we have a vehicle. Would the situation be any better a bit farther out, i.e. Sri Racha etc. As long as we are in driving distance of good supermarkets etc. we would be good.

Hmm, good points to consider. The reason we started thinking about houses was it seemed you could get a 2 Bed house for 1.5m and under whereas I thought for that price you would just get a studio. Parking is also an option as we have a vehicle. Would the situation be any better a bit farther out, i.e. Sri Racha etc. As long as we are in driving distance of good supermarkets etc. we would be good.

Out towards Bang Saray / Sattahip you might find something, about abother 20-30 mins out from Pattaya.

JH

Older condos available around the Onnut/SriNakarin area in BKK. 20 minutes to the airport or so .... good shopping and some decent choices for food as well.

If it isn't for long periods then getting stuck out in E. Pattaya would not be my choice at all.

Older condos available around the Onnut/SriNakarin area in BKK. 20 minutes to the airport or so .... good shopping and some decent choices for food as well.

If it isn't for long periods then getting stuck out in E. Pattaya would not be my choice at all.

Cheers, the situation is that I work overseas and when in Thailand we live up North, but for a week or so after I arrive and a week or so before departing we camp out in our rented condo in Bangkok. Is East Pattaya considered dodgy?

In the price range you are considering and in E Pattaya ... probably dodgy areas.

We have a condo on the edge of BKK. About 1km from Seacon Sq and 2KM from Rama9 park -- and the old Seri Ctr/new Paradise Park. There are older units in the area that sell at a decent price. The beauty of that area is that it is close to the airport, about a 100 baht taxi ride to BTS (Onnut) and a 60 Baht taxi ride to CityLink, and about 20 mins drive to the airport going up Onnut. All the benefits of BKK with lots of open area right around there (a reservoir as well as Rama 9 park!)

I looked at Bangna and hated what was available around me but I like the area between Onnut and Seacon Sq off of Sri Nakarin Rd.

No I wouldn't say so, I get the impression that many are happy over there, quiet, good restaurants like a whole community in it self.

Here in Pattaya you have real good shopping for expat food, cheap restaurants with owners from all over the world so in that regard its hard to beat.

Best to come and stay for maybe a week and try drive around and look for a good place/house.

Real estate agents can maybe also help.

Edited by guzzi850m2

Try Baan Suan Neramit on Chayapruek road 1 km east of Sukhumvit. They have new and resale 2 br, 2 bath twin-houses for about price you are looking for. Good security, parking and access to big Sukhumvit shopping centers. About 1.5 hours to airport, 20 minutes to South Pattaya.

Well established village with very good infrastructure,

You will need car.

Try Baan Suan Neramit on Chayapruek road 1 km east of Sukhumvit. They have new and resale 2 br, 2 bath twin-houses for about price you are looking for. Good security, parking and access to big Sukhumvit shopping centers. About 1.5 hours to airport, 20 minutes to South Pattaya.

You will need car.

Sounds worth a look, thanks.

You will need car.

I'll second that, got a mate that lives there - he's been there about 4 years never had a problem.

JH

Got a Thai real estate magazine today and there seems to be plenty of stuff in Bangkok in our price range but will have to hit the streets and start looking. However I am starting to think I should go up to 2 Mil, I hope I can get something sensible for that. My greatest fear is buying a place and living to regret it. By the way, has anyone here lived in a townhouse? Not sure if a townhouse is much different from a single house when I see how close together they build them here.

Cheers, the situation is that I work overseas and when in Thailand we live up North, but for a week or so after I arrive and a week or so before departing we camp out in our rented condo in Bangkok. Is East Pattaya considered dodgy?

Lumpini Ville you can get a decent studio for 1.5m baht probably 1.4 ................5 years old not a bad complex. Close to on Nut BTS and the airport is one road all the way.

By the way, has anyone here lived in a townhouse? Not sure if a townhouse is much different from a single house when I see how close together they build them here.

Big difference, you share a wall in a Thai townhouse so the next door noise is magnified

Stay away from them, a few feet of air between you and the nighbors can make a world of difference

I'd second the suggestion of that area, Onnut/Srinakarin; lots of good shopping opportunities at Seacon, Central and the newly refurbished Paradise Park is like a scaled down version of Central World or Paragon with really great eateries and shops. You'd be close to the airport, Bitec, lots of hospitals and the Rama 9 Park. Better than East Pattaya. If you're looking for nightlife, Srinakarin road starts at the Onnut intersection and is like an extension of Bangkok which pushes south through Samut Prakan province to Pak Nam; lots of opportunities for merriment. You wrote that you'd only stay there a few days each month, so don't overlook how filthy homes get when they aren't lived in; a small condo may be better and safer.