Would It Make Sense To Leave The Country When Not Happy With Election Result?

drronnie

To be honest I am not happy with the election result and have deepest disdain for Yingluck and her current government. However would it be a good idea to break off everything here, resign my job and leave the country or should I cool down and realize that the government would not have any effect in my private life?

Well, yes ,I would love for you to leave the country.The quicker the better. I am Praii. you are Amart .GO now, please

A Farang Prai. This ought to be the joke of the week! ROFL!

Agree with you,this afarang guy is a joke and making himself very popular with his comments.Wonder on how many ignore lists he already appears.

Obama cannot close Guantanamo, give his people social security like he promised, leave Afghanistan or make the congress vote for a raise of the american debt in time so that the markets don't go crazy." Yes we can" has definetaly turned out to be a "No I can't"

Sarkozy can't do anything to keep jobs in his own country.

Japan under huge pression from lobbies cannot go away from nuclear despite Fukushima's disaster and the population desperate to get out of nuclear.

And you think that in a country super corrupted a change of government will actually change anything ?

Thank you for the laugh !

Edited by aneliane

Obama cannot close Guantanamo, give his people social security like he promised, leave Afghanistan or make the congress vote for a raise of the american debt in time so that the markets don't go crazy.

Sarkozy can't do anything to keep jobs in his own country.

Japan under huge pression from lobbies cannot go away from nuclear despite Fukushima's disaster and the population desperate to get out of nuclear.

And you think that in a country super corrupted a change of government will actually change anything ?

Thank you for the laugh !

No the governments are useless. You are right.

Well, yes ,I would love for you to leave the country.The quicker the better. I am Praii. you are Amart .GO now, please

Agree with you,this afarang guy is a joke and making himself very popular with his comments.Wonder on how many ignore lists he already appears.

NONE. I have many supporters, particularly where I live.So ,you identify with the right wing extremists? fox news? I have only one more statement to make:: if you support the amart , please leave now ,and let the Prai run the country. so that we , the Prai may benefit. Long live the Prai.Long may they rule over us. Have i not heard that somewhere else? but I suspect you lack a sense of humour. Never mind .The Prai are here to rule .For a very long time

NONE. I have many supporters, particularly where I live.So ,you identify with the right wing extremists? fox news? I have only one more statement to make:: if you support the amart , please leave now ,and let the Prai run the country. so that we , the Prai may benefit. Long live the Prai.Long may they rule over us. Have i not heard that somewhere else? but I suspect you lack a sense of humour. Never mind .The Prai are here to rule .For a very long time

I suggest it's time for you to start posting in the " I drink too much " forum.:whistling:

Interesting, you make ABSOLUTELY no comments about what I said. Why are you so Right wing? Are you a hang over from the Vietnam War? Or do still think america has a position of power , in this new ,evolving world? I guess it is time you got over your superiority complex and try to understand the new geo-politics. Sorry ,though I maybe.you are no longer there. You are losing your title of Number 1. Whether I like it or not, is not the point. Your political shenanigans at the moment, have lost you your authority

I suppose we are lucky that we can vote with our feet; it is more power than the Thais have.

The OP is quite right - if he is that bothered about it, he can go. I don't know if he is that bothered about it.

I have never used my feet to make a political statement, but they have kept me away from some countries where I was unhappy with the level of tolerance, freedom and market efficiency. No doubt this government may be able to add Thailand to that list eventually, if it chooses.

SC

It was kind of obvious from the get-go where this topic was heading. :rolleyes:

The only political event that made me severely unhappy, and borderline reconsidering where Thailand was heading was the 2006 coup. I prefer democracy, even the way Abhsisit came to power was still democratic enough for me. The current government has a much clearer mandate of course, and I'm fine with that too.

I also like Afarang, lots of very interesting posts. (You can skip the rants. ;) )

The only political event that made me severely unhappy, and borderline reconsidering where Thailand was heading was the 2006 coup. I prefer democracy, even the way Abhsisit came to power was still democratic enough for me. The current government has a much clearer mandate of course, and I'm fine with that too.

I also like Afarang, lots of very interesting posts. (You can skip the rants. ;) )

I normally get most distressed when I know I am in the wrong, but so dearly want to be right, or (which is probably the same thing) when I know I am right but can do nothing to influence the flow of events.

We are lucky, in Thailand, that we can so easily exert real influence, that the natives cannot, by moving elsewhere, if we feel so strongly about it. And if we do not feel that it is so important as to justify changing jobs and uprooting families, then perhaps we should refrain from abusing strangers on the internet. And if the issue is simply that the stranger has a different opinion from our own, then perhaps we should have the courage to trust our own opinion and let others and express theirs as they will, without resorting to abuse - it does little to discredit our opponent, but much to discredit ourselves.

SC

I normally get most distressed when I know I am in the wrong, but so dearly want to be right, or (which is probably the same thing) when I know I am right but can do nothing to influence the flow of events.

We are lucky, in Thailand, that we can so easily exert real influence, that the natives cannot, by moving elsewhere, if we feel so strongly about it. And if we do not feel that it is so important as to justify changing jobs and uprooting families, then perhaps we should refrain from abusing strangers on the internet. And if the issue is simply that the stranger has a different opinion from our own, then perhaps we should have the courage to trust our own opinion and let others and express theirs as they will, without resorting to abuse - it does little to discredit our opponent, but much to discredit ourselves.

SC

The actual government makes very little difference in the short term. Neither side is less corrupt than the other, and for the most part nobody in either party cares about anyone except for themselves. I would certainly have preferred that the Thaksin party not have won, as getting his minions back in power is going to make it that much more difficult to fight him later on. So from that standpoint the elections were a huge loss for the country, but the reality is there will be no discernible difference as long as a certain revered someone stays around.

The curtain doesn't come up on the real play for control until that happens. So there is no reason to consider leaving until that unfortunate time arrives. And when it does, I would suspect you won't need Thai Visa to help you make the decision. In all likelihood the flying bullets will make your decision rather easy.

Edited by gregb

I wouldn't bother leaving because you don't like the government.............none of the other miserable moaning creatures on Tvisa has made the effort to go....

Sadly

Pretty broad statement there 473, care to be more specific?

He's referring specifically to people with Man United avatars

I wouldn't bother leaving because you don't like the government.............none of the other miserable moaning creatures on Tvisa has made the effort to go....

Sadly

Pretty broad statement there 473, care to be more specific?

nope anything else would be pointless moaning.....:)

To be honest after living here since Chuan's first term in office the antics, high jinks etc of Thai politics ( apart from chewing the fat on here with fellow posters )over the years has had zero effect on my life. They're just things I read about in the newspaper. No disrespects whatsever intended to the OP but considering leaving just because you don't like the new government seems a tad melodramatic. Now in the extremely unlikely event of the new government introducing really Draconian policies regarding foreigners ( and I don't mean pissant stuff like having to report ever 90 days ) then that's a different matter concerning getting the fuc_k out of Dodge.

Edited by cdnvic
Closed - Please read the pinned topic regarding political topics in the General forum.