Compare The Honda Phantom 200Cc With Lifan V250

vacationman

As alternative for the Lifan LF250-B you also have the Keeway Cruiser 250, distributed by Sym Thailand. It's a bit more expensive compared with the Lifan LF250-B, but some people say the quality is also better... the Keeway Cruiser 250 comes with 3-years warranty and costs 92,000 THB.

Wow.

If the quality is better then the Lifan, which according to you, is far superior to the Phantom - this is the ultimate bike for the connoisseur of small 400 pound plus cruisers with less then 20 horsepower.

:)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a Chinese brand, you should expect exactly that - I can't think of any Chinese motoring brands that exude confidence, How many Chinese cars sell outside of china?

Their spare parts network can't be that great seeing as they don't even have a dealer here in Phuket - There must be at least 15+ Honda motorbike shops here.

Its a Chinese brand, you should expect exactly that - I can't think of any Chinese motoring brands that exude confidence, How many Chinese cars sell outside of china?

Just a typical and expected knee-jerk reaction to the word "Chinese." Says more about you than the bike.

I remember my Dad railing against Japanese junk. He'd never have any of it--until he finally did.

Their spare parts network can't be that great seeing as they don't even have a dealer here in Phuket - There must be at least 15+ Honda motorbike shops here.

Trouble is, none of those 15+ Honda shops is selling a cool-looking cruiser in the 250cc range for those who want one.

Yes, the Lifan spare parts network can't be that great--in Phuket if there's not even a dealer in Phuket (did you call the main Lifan headquarters and verify that, or are you just riding around and don't see any Lifan sign? Shops that deal Lifans may not have a Lifan sign or a bike in stock to park outside).

But if you had a Lifan, obviously you, or whatever independent shop you're working with, could still order spare parts from the dealer you bought it from, wherever that dealer is located. In that case, it would be a bit like owning an old CB400, of which there must be thousands in Thailand: I mean, relying on a shop to find the parts and order them while you wait.

Edited by JSixpack

How is that Knee Jerk - What world famous native Chinese Bikes are there exactly?

Actually I've looked intensively into Chinese bikes as I was mulling a Chinese motocross/dirt bike for a long while, I actually called Lifan HQ and then (4-6 months ago) there was no Lifan dealer in Phuket. I also hear a lot of bad things about parts for Chinese bikes, are the Lifans actually made here from scratch or brought in a box and built up, no-one seems to know.

It gets a bit boring with all of these people with vested interests trying to big up Chinese bikes, I noticed lots of negative posts on another forum ended up disappearing.

there is a lifan dealer just down from the train station, i bought a 250 there, and had all good experiences with service, the owner is a good guy and the employees are excellent. i really enjoy the 250 runs circles around the phantom, nothing negative all positive, oh and there is a lifan.com website. the sticker on the frame of the bike states manufactured in thailand. if you dont believe me i can meet you somewhere so you can see for yourself. i dont own stock or have any vested interest in lifan or honda, thank you, have a nice day.

How is that Knee Jerk - What world famous native Chinese Bikes are there exactly?

Actually I've looked intensively into Chinese bikes as I was mulling a Chinese motocross/dirt bike for a long while, I actually called Lifan HQ and then (4-6 months ago) there was no Lifan dealer in Phuket. I also hear a lot of bad things about parts for Chinese bikes, are the Lifans actually made here from scratch or brought in a box and built up, no-one seems to know.

It gets a bit boring with all of these people with vested interests trying to big up Chinese bikes, I noticed lots of negative posts on another forum ended up disappearing.

there is a lifan dealer just down from the train station, i bought a 250 there, and had all good experiences with service, the owner is a good guy and the employees are excellent. i really enjoy the 250 runs circles around the phantom, nothing negative all positive, oh and there is a lifan.com website. the sticker on the frame of the bike states manufactured in thailand. if you dont believe me i can meet you somewhere so you can see for yourself. i dont own stock or have any vested interest in lifan or honda, thank you, have a nice day.

There isn't a train station in Phuket.

Lifan builds in Thailand motorcycles from scratch as you call it, they use the same raw materials other motorcycle manufacturers in Thailand use. Actual Kawasaki and Lifan get often deliveries from the same trucks as they both not so far from another located... Lifan also makes car engines in Thailand, the main reason for this is to make it easier for Lifan cars to be exported to Europe and America.

All Lifan motorcycles sold currently sold in Thailand are “Made in Thailand” and have that certificate also for export from the Thai government. An exception is the Lifan Pony 110, but that one is currently still not available. Also it's still unclear if Lifan Thailand is going to produce the Lifan LF250-19, which recently was cleared for Euro III emission standard.

Attached the V-twin naked Lifan LF250-19. Yamaha will like also introduce a V-twin naked 250cc only not sure if that's going to happen in Thailand...

post-12170-0-85080200-1313846036_thumb.j

post-12170-0-92853500-1313846221_thumb.j

Lifan builds in Thailand motorcycles from scratch as you call it, they use the same raw materials other motorcycle manufacturers in Thailand use. Actual Kawasaki and Lifan get often deliveries from the same trucks as they both not so far from another located... Lifan also makes car engines in Thailand, the main reason for this is to make it easier for Lifan cars to be exported to Europe and America.

All Lifan motorcycles sold currently sold in Thailand are "Made in Thailand" and have that certificate also for export from the Thai government. An exception is the Lifan Pony 110, but that one is currently still not available. Also it's still unclear if Lifan Thailand is going to produce the Lifan LF250-19, which recently was cleared for Euro III emission standard.

Attached the V-twin naked Lifan LF250-19. Yamaha will like also introduce a V-twin naked 250cc only not sure if that's going to happen in Thailand...

The Kawasaki truck delivers stuff to the Lifan warehouse? Or both places get their sandwiches from the same truck.

Every post you make just sounds like you are trying to legitimize Lifan, first with Yamaha, then with Kawasaki with your above comment and then back to Yamaha.

If these bikes are really that good at 1/2 the price of the competition why would you need to do this? Why aren't they flooding the market with their superior yet only half the cost wares?

All Lifan motorcycles sold currently sold in Thailand are "Made in Thailand" and have that certificate also for export from the Thai government. An exception is the Lifan Pony 110, but that one is currently still not available. Also it's still unclear if Lifan Thailand is going to produce the Lifan LF250-19, which recently was cleared for Euro III emission standard.

The Kawasaki truck delivers stuff to the Lifan warehouse? Or both places get their sandwiches from the same truck.

Every post you make just sounds like you are trying to legitimize Lifan, first with Yamaha, then with Kawasaki with your above comment and then back to Yamaha.

If these bikes are really that good at 1/2 the price of the competition why would you need to do this? Why aren't they flooding the market with their superior yet only half the cost wares?

Lifan and Yamaha have a relation, even MV Agusta and Cagiva have even a relation with the Chinese company. The relation between the Lifan and Kawasaki factory is nothing more than that they have the same raw metal other suppliers... like tires etc.. etc...

Flooding the market is with almost all products, except water maybe, a not so smart plan. Lifan is in no real hurry, they have little to no competition currently in the 250cc cruiser market they are the dominating manufacturer.

Sure you have Sym Thailand who imports the Keeway Cruiser 250, but the numbers are not really serious enough to be any competition.

Back to the market planning, as I go to understand it... Lifan see the only correct way of expansion with dealers, they even have a special financing plan for dealers. So dealers can have Lifan products on the showroom floor, and spare parts without the need to pay Lifan directly. Lots of smaller to mid-sized dealers have cash money problems... Only a large enough company with enough financial backing can offer something like that.

If their dealer program is so great then how come one of the wealthiest and busiest provinces doesn't have a dealer ?

The flooding wouldn't be done by Lifan but the customers lining up round the block to buy better motorcycles at half the price?

Sorry I have no idea if Phuket is one of the wealthiest and busiest provinces, but it's sometimes better to start with the basics... for example a market you know. Lifan has had years and years of experience in the rural northeast of Thailand (Isan) with supplying engines to tuk-tuk builders and other farming vehicles.

And I not really understand the “half the price” statement? Half the price of what? Half the price of a Kawasaki Ninja 250R, sure but tell me which sportsbike owner would be interested in a cruiser? Completely different motorcycles, the same applies for the Honda CBR250R, and the Honda TA200 Phantom, which Honda doesn't make anymore, was priced at about the same level as the Lifan LF250-B....

I wouldn't think that the Issan Tuk Tuk engines (not really tuk tuks but motorbikes with an extra seat at the back) would be something they were particularly proud of, the idea was that they were so basic that anyone could fix them and they were dirt cheap to buy, not that they were bulletproof or as reliable as honda, yamaha, kawasaki etc engines. The price of the 'tuk tuks' is circa 55k baht, for a bike plus passenger bits, are you saying this isn't cheap, or that the Lifan crosser isn't around 1/3 of the price of say the KLX 250?

Aha, sorry I was really under the impression that the discussion was about the Lifan LF250-B, the Lifan LF200GY-5 is not even a 250cc, but sure it's great value for the price of 46,000 THB. Still I cannot get your previous “half the price” statement... as a Lifan LF200GY-5 is clearly not half the price of a Kawasaki KLX250... or did you mean the Kawasaki KLX125... which sells for about 84,000 THB, also air-cooled, and with the power less than a Honda Wave 125i?

Still I would not compare a Lifan LF200GY-5 with a Kawasaki KLX250, both are clearly other machines and other grade of technology. Air-cooled vs liquid-cooled, fuel-injection vs carburetor fueling... Still the question stays is a Kawasaki KLX250 3 times more fun? Sure a Kawasaki KLX250 is more powerful, 50cc more and perfect fueling by a modern electric fuel injection system...

Basically the two enduro motorcycles (KLX250 and LF200GY-5) have only the tires in common...

Edited by Richard-BKK

the benjie i know has never owned a big bike, what do you care you only drive 100cc, or maybe a 110cc - - ha ha

I wouldn't think that the Issan Tuk Tuk engines (not really tuk tuks but motorbikes with an extra seat at the back) would be something they were particularly proud of, the idea was that they were so basic that anyone could fix them and they were dirt cheap to buy, not that they were bulletproof or as reliable as honda, yamaha, kawasaki etc engines. The price of the 'tuk tuks' is circa 55k baht, for a bike plus passenger bits, are you saying this isn't cheap, or that the Lifan crosser isn't around 1/3 of the price of say the KLX 250?

the benjie i know has never owned a big bike, what do you care you only drive 100cc, or maybe a 110cc - - ha ha

I dont know you.

A little bit off-topic, but maybe you can share with us who is selling Isan/Northeast-style tuk-tuk motorcycles for 55,000 THB...?

They start at that and go up to about 85k baht depending on engine size and carriage design.

A little bit off-topic, but maybe you can share with us who is selling Isan/Northeast-style tuk-tuk motorcycles for 55,000 THB...?

They start at that and go up to about 85k baht depending on engine size and carriage design.

Please share some names and addresses we can contact, websites companies as I have for the prices you say some serious interest. Especially when the Isan tuk tuk mobiles are equipped with a Lifan engine...

I know one manufacturer who makes the same model I posted before a picture from, but they start with prices much higher...

Please share some names and addresses we can contact, websites companies as I have for the prices you say some serious interest. Especially when the Isan tuk tuk mobiles are equipped with a Lifan engine...

I know one manufacturer who makes the same model I posted before a picture from, but they start with prices much higher...

Oh come on Richard-BXX; you have ignored several direct questions yet you ask one yourself? :rolleyes:

Eg, are you a retailer of Lifan, and can you provide your contact information?

One enjoyable item from this thread, is that only in SE Asia does the 250 Lifan run rings around the 200 Honda.

Oh come on Richard-BXX; you have ignored several direct questions yet you ask one yourself? :rolleyes:

One enjoyable item from this thread, is that only in SE Asia does the 250 Lifan run rings around the 200 Honda.

I have nothing to do with Lifan Thailand, one of my companies has done some work for Lifan China (no direct relation to Thai motorcycle industry) in the past. As a result I have still a few Lifan motorcycles in my warehouse (models not available in Thailand). I'm not a retailer, I absolute don't sell anything...

If people want to contact me for any reason they can use the PM function on this board, I regularly answer my messages...

Also I did never said that a Lifan LF250-B would “run rings around the 200 Honda”, the Honda TA200 Phantom is a End-Of-Life product, Honda has not announced any specific models but I was told that still 10 or 11 new Honda models should make it to the market this year and early next year... so who knows Honda will re-enter the cruiser market.

Kawasaki, before sold the Boss 175 which was a good alternative for the Honda TA200 Phantom, but Kawasaki also stopped selling them...

So the Lifan LF250-B is one of the two 250cc cruisers, the other one being the Keeway Cruiser 250, available in Thailand. For comparison I should also mention that Platinum also sells 250cc cruisers, but somehow the Platinum website (the one I know) seems not to work.

Thanks for the answer Richard.

Know you didn't mentioned the speed comparisons, just others have commented on the 250 being considerably faster then the 200. Ridden both, and they both are what they are.

Just sounds like there comparing the power increase as if it was comparing the Phantom to the BMW K1600GT, and not two porky cruisers with horsepower in the teens.

Friends shop in Victoria, BC Canada, has that K1600GT priced at just 720,000 baht, and he'll throw in plenty of swag too.

Just saying.

not that anyone cares or gives a hoooooooot, but i have been here 3 years in september and my first bike (chinese 100cc) not jrd i bought for 15,000thb, 6 mos. old, drove it for a year and sold it for 20,000thb. then i bought the gf a new click and myself a phantom, the phantom lasted 2 weeks and needed a new engine. i heard how bad jrd's were before i came here so i knew to stay away from them.

a friend bought a lifan 250 in march 2011 and he really liked it and he let me drive it, i then went to the dealer down the street from the train station (i live in chiang mai), i did the usual investigation about parts, service, etc. i found a tourist to buy my 1 yr old phantom for 80,000thb and i bought a 1 month old lifan 250 with the bags, box, w/shield, harley foot rests, etc.. from a rich jewish guy for 80,000thb what i paid for the phantom.

my money is ok but i am still a penny pincher and normally i get my money out of something and then some, and i did not need to be a genius to examine the design and quality of the 250 lifan. i was in usmc motor transport 3511 mos so i know how to treat and take care of my equipment. also the dealer said the 400cc are coming 2012 and he could drop a 400cc in my lifan for 40,000thb.

one thing i always think about if you are going down the hiway 120kph and there is a manufacture defect where something breaks like a frame, fork, etc.... do you really want to risk your life on something poorly manufactured? In a car something breaks you have a chance but on a bike something breaks especially with 2 riders ur screwed.

so i ride my lifan 250 everywhere often with 2 riders at high speeds fully confident that this cheap ass bike (new 78,000thb) will not break. if i dont sell it in 1 year to buy/upgrade another bike and i will give you updates on usage and mileage. until then they lifan are relatively new on the market but according to lifan.com they are going to be expanding including automobiles.

i also do a lot of my research on the internet, let your fingers do the walking particularly at lifan.com, and from financial speculators or news articles on lifan.

a lot of good info on this topic, appreciate it.

Just sounds like there comparing the power increase as if it was comparing the Phantom to the BMW K1600GT

Nobody implied this silly idea anywhere in the thread. Seems your whole purpose here is simply to denigrate these two small cruisers . . . .

, and not two porky cruisers with horsepower in the teens.

. . . as this is the 2nd post in which you've said the same thing. Though it seems awfully important to you, so that you need to repeat it, it obviously isn't so much to Phantom and Lifan owners. We already know what horsepower these bikes have. We know they ain't sports bikes.

Now, there are plenty of boy racer threads in the forum in which you can chortle to your heart's content over the power and maneuverability of bigger bikes and sports bikes.

Consensus in the thread is that, in this particular market, a new Lifan is a desirable bike to own in a market with few choices in that class right now. From what I know, I'd take a Lifan over a Phantom any day, and either bike has enough power for my needs mostly around town w/ the occasional trip to a nearby beach. Given that Scar drove his Phantom everywhere for 130,000km, either bike should be viable for long distance runs--believe it or not.

Just sounds like there comparing the power increase as if it was comparing the Phantom to the BMW K1600GT

Nobody implied this silly idea anywhere in the thread. Seems your whole purpose here is simply to denigrate these two small cruisers . . . .

, and not two porky cruisers with horsepower in the teens.

. . . as this is the 2nd post in which you've said the same thing. Though it seems awfully important to you, so that you need to repeat it, it obviously isn't so much to Phantom and Lifan owners. We already know what horsepower these bikes have. We know they ain't sports bikes.

Now, there are plenty of boy racer threads in the forum in which you can chortle to your heart's content over the power and maneuverability of bigger bikes and sports bikes.

Consensus in the thread is that, in this particular market, a new Lifan is a desirable bike to own in a market with few choices in that class right now. From what I know, I'd take a Lifan over a Phantom any day, and either bike has enough power for my needs mostly around town w/ the occasional trip to a nearby beach. Given that Scar drove his Phantom everywhere for 130,000km, either bike should be viable for long distance runs--believe it or not.

I've ridden with a gentleman that has a Phantom and it has been really good for him over 700 km in a day trip. Never missed a beat and he arrived in much better shape than I did despite being MUCH older (sorry uncle billd but I'm trying to make a point).

One good way to find out more about a motorcycle is searching for it's problems, so do the test search in Google or your favorite search engine for “Lifan LF250-B Problems” and study the amount of people reporting problems, than do the same for the Honda TA200 Phantom “Honda TA200 Problems” and study the amount of people talking and reporting problems.... Do the math...

Not forget that for just over the last 3-years the Lifan LF250-B is available in more than 80 countries around the world, while the Honda TA200 Phantom was only available in Thailand, and for a shorter time in Singapore, Malaysia and for an even shorter time in Australia where it was known as the Honda TA200 Shadow. Also if we search in English for the problems of the Honda TA200 we not get all the answers, as a Thai or Malaysian person will very likely not use the word “problems”.

Edited by Richard-BKK

One good way to find out more about a motorcycle is searching for it's problems, so do the test search in Google or your favorite search engine for “Lifan LF250-B Problems” and study the amount of people reporting problems, than do the same for the Honda TA200 Phantom “Honda TA200 Problems” and study the amount of people talking and reporting problems.... Do the math...

Not forget that for just over the last 3-years the Lifan LF250-B is available in more than 80 countries around the world, while the Honda TA200 Phantom was only available in Thailand, and for a shorter time in Singapore, Malaysia and for an even shorter time in Australia where it was known as the Honda TA200 Shadow. Also if we search in English for the problems of the Honda TA200 we not get all the answers, as a Thai or Malaysian person will very likely not use the word “problems”.

Of course Thais wouldn't write about 'problems' but rather 'poblaam'...:jap:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seriously looking at the Lifan 250. I'm primarily going to use the bike to cruise from my apartment in Chiang Mai to my home south of Lamphun off of Highway 11. I'm interested in knowing what the highway cruising speed of this bike and how stable it is at it's top end speed. I basically want to be able to drive with the cars instead of being forced over to the left side of the road , and I'm hoping this Lifan can cruise comfortably in the 110 to 120 kph range. If you have driven one can you let me know?

Thanks!

one week after i am bragging about my lifan being a good bike i started experiencing problems, 7 broken spokes, and a tweaked chain. i still believe my lifan 250 is a good bike but now i am apprehensive/no trust about the chaing mai dealer/service department working on my bike. i bought the bike in march 2011 and so far have pretty much enjoyed good motoring, but i always wondered why lifan shop could never service the bike properly. well they are young thai mechanics and i now believe they dont know that much about the 250. the boss smiles a lot and when i got upset at how careless they were with the service he politely smiled and said go elsewhere. careless meaning that they misaligned the rear wheel causing me to replace the chain after 7k, instead of ordering and replacing the chain he sent me back out with a bent chain, and one time they sent me out with no brakes after replacing the spokes meaning they did not check the adjustment on the rear drum brake.

i still enjoy the lifan 250 more than my phantom but now i cannot trust the mechanics at the lifan dealer in chiang mai. i have to find a new mechanic i can trust.

i went out with a friend of mine he said we were doing 120kph plus but my speedo said 100kph, i feel comfortable at 100kph for cruising but still have more throttle. the chinese bikes mentioned above cannot compare with the 250, it has good horsepower even with 2 people you just need a good mechanic that you can trust to set the bike up right.

but no matter what i say on here i am by no means a motorcycle expert, so i defer to the experts who post on here, i can only describe the experience i have had with the lifan 250 and the dealer/service department. no i did not have to go to honda much with my phantom and i could trust the honda mechanics and i use the one by mccormick. it would be nice if honda or kawasaki could come out with a bike like the 250 but of course you could never buy it for 78,000thb.

i THINK THIS GUY DOESNT LIKE CHINESE CRUISERS ............;)

http://www.transport...ass-the-driver/