Compare The Honda Phantom 200Cc With Lifan V250

vacationman

Servicing and mechanic confidence for working on a 250cc motorcycle is still something what needs to step up, not only for Lifan – you can find enough postings on Thaivisa of Honda dealers and CBR250's.

The rims and the spokes come from Union, and are of the same quality used on Honda, Kawasaki, or Suzuki motorcycles (as Union Autoparts makes also the rims and spokes for them). Maybe you unlucky, or the misalignment of the wheel had something to do with it – as it can stress the wheel unnaturally. I hope that the you bike gets fixed correctly, I would appreciate it if you can keep me informed.

For the link from the guy who surely doesn't like Chinese motorcycles, the Lifan LF250-B uses many of the same parts as the Yamaha V-star 250 – both use the exact same Mikuni BS26 carburetors, both use the same specification of compression, bore and stroke. Basically the Lifan and Yamaha V-star 250 have the same engine. The Lifan produces about just under 19 horsepower, and the Yamaha V-star 250 does exactly do the same... Sure other dyno settings and some will report 20 or 21 horsepower, but with the same settings and conditions the Lifan will produce the same power. (a 250cc V-twin cruiser engine producing 62 horsepower... nobody should believe that)

Also the picture used on the website is not a Lifan LF250-B, it's an older Lifan LF150-14 (a single-cylinder 150cc)

If, and that is a big IF, Yamaha Thailand should ever import the Yamaha V-Star 250 from Malaysia – it will likely cost a bit over 130,000 THB. What is near twice the price you pay for a Lifan LF250-B...

Edited by Richard-BKK

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the comments... really appreciate it.

the weight / power ratio of the phantom .

it is a heavy bike for town riding , and not easy to bob n weave , in traffic.

however on the flat open roads , it is a reliable plodder @ 80 km/hr.

they certainly hold their value , and is a site to behold , with pride .

i look forward to the new phantom.

:jap:

• Like 1

Servicing and mechanic confidence for working on a 250cc motorcycle is still something what needs to step up, not only for Lifan – you can find enough postings on Thaivisa of Honda dealers and CBR250's.

The rims and the spokes come from Union, and are of the same quality used on Honda, Kawasaki, or Suzuki motorcycles (as Union Autoparts makes also the rims and spokes for them). Maybe you unlucky, or the misalignment of the wheel had something to do with it – as it can stress the wheel unnaturally. I hope that the you bike gets fixed correctly, I would appreciate it if you can keep me informed.

For the link from the guy who surely doesn't like Chinese motorcycles, the Lifan LF250-B uses many of the same parts as the Yamaha V-star 250 – both use the exact same Mikuni BS26 carburetors, both use the same specification of compression, bore and stroke. Basically the Lifan and Yamaha V-star 250 have the same engine. The Lifan produces about just under 19 horsepower, and the Yamaha V-star 250 does exactly do the same... Sure other dyno settings and some will report 20 or 21 horsepower, but with the same settings and conditions the Lifan will produce the same power. (a 250cc V-twin cruiser engine producing 62 horsepower... nobody should believe that)

Also the picture used on the website is not a Lifan LF250-B, it's an older Lifan LF150-14 (a single-cylinder 150cc)

If, and that is a big IF, Yamaha Thailand should ever import the Yamaha V-Star 250 from Malaysia – it will likely cost a bit over 130,000 THB. What is near twice the price you pay for a Lifan LF250-B...

Why are you making more excuses.

Made to the same specifications and 'basically having the same engine' are pretty different things

Why are you making more excuses.

Made to the same specifications and 'basically having the same engine' are pretty different things

If you believe the Yamaha V-star 250 engine produces 62 horsepower, you're free to belief that. Serious people will probably laugh a bit when you tell that... as the truth is that both the Yamaha V-star 250 and Lifan LF250-B (engines) make under the same conditions and same engine settings identical power...

Edited by Richard-BKK

He didn't say it has 62 Hp, just that it ain't the same engine.

I tried my friends Phantom, and i had to literally JUMP on the freakin gear to switch gear,

on my Yamaha OTOH i'm using one of my toes to switch gear, and if i keep the rews right i wont even need the clutch.

There is some serious difference in quality between different engines

The engine of the Yamaha V-Star 250

type: 15-cubic-inch (248.9cc) air-cooled, SOHC 60-degree V-twin, 2 valves/cylinder

Bore x Stroke: 49 x 66mm

Compression Ratio: 10.0:1

Fuel Delivery: 2x Mikuni 26mm carburetors

Ignition: TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition

Transmission: 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch

Final Drive: Chain

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelspecs/589/0/specs.aspx

The engine of the Lifan LF250-B

type: 15-cubic-inch (248.9cc) air-cooled, SOHC 60-degree V-twin, 2 valves/cylinder

Source: http://www.lifan.com/English/Industry/content.html?0a8eb46c-3181-4cc3-be2d-9e53eb4fe414

On a website posted before they write the Yamaha V-star 250 makes 62 horsepower and the Lifan LF250-B makes around 17.8 horsepower.

Lifan can use legally Yamaha technology, as they bough some production facilities from Yamaha, and they bought some patents from MZ motor. Lifan Thailand exports the V-twin 250cc engine to Hong Leong motor in Malaysia (the same company that makes the Yamaha V-star 250 sold in the USA and other countries in the world.)

Anyway i suggest anyone looking to buy a bike make extra sure he won't burn his leg and/or foot on the exhaust system just because he wants to drive in shorts & flip flops.

I have seen some seriously screwed up designs with regard to exhaust system,

and a purchase of such a bike will inevitably be regretted.

edit: I couldn't find the site citing a 250 has 62 Hp,

do you have a link ?

Yamaha Virago 1100 cc has around 62 Hp, perhaps it was confused with a larger engine ?

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

Anyway i suggest anyone looking to buy a bike make extra sure he won't burn his leg and/or foot on the exhaust system just because he wants to drive in shorts & flip flops.

I have seen some seriously screwed up designs with regard to exhaust system,

and a purchase of such a bike will inevitably be regretted.

edit: I couldn't find the site citing a 250 has 62 Hp,

do you have a link ?

Yamaha Virago 1100 cc has around 62 Hp, perhaps it was confused with a larger engine ?

Here the link to the website which states that a Yamaha Virago 250 makes 62 horsepower...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Yes i saw it now

the original Yamaha Virago have 62 hp

He must be referring to 1100 cc, tho the first model was actually 750 cc

The short pipes aside, i think this is one of the best looking bikes around

Edited by poanoi

Yes i saw it now

the original Yamaha Virago have 62 hp

He must be referring to 1100 cc, tho the first model was actually 750 cc

The short pipes aside, i think this is one of the best looking bikes around

Agreed! Siam Racing (RIP) in Pattaya used to have a new 1100 on the floor and it was a beaut.

The engine of the Yamaha V-Star 250

http://www.starmotor...89/0/specs.aspx

The engine of the Lifan LF250-B

Source: http://www.lifan.com...2d-9e53eb4fe414

On a website posted before they write the Yamaha V-star 250 makes 62 horsepower and the Lifan LF250-B makes around 17.8 horsepower.

Lifan can use legally Yamaha technology, as they bough some production facilities from Yamaha, and they bought some patents from MZ motor. Lifan Thailand exports the V-twin 250cc engine to Hong Leong motor in Malaysia (the same company that makes the Yamaha V-star 250 sold in the USA and other countries in the world.)

So are you telling us that Yamaha are using Lifan engines in their V-star 250 bikes manufactured in Malaysia??????

I said that Lifan is selling the engines of the LF250-B also to Hong Leong Motor in Malaysia, the company that also makes the Yamaha/Star Motorcycle V-Star 250, honestly I have no idea what they do with the engines they buy from Lifan. But they currently export motorcycles with the same engine specifications, so you tell me what they do with it...

• 2 weeks later...

I surely like to know how fast you find an alternative rear sprocket for the Honda TA200 Phantom, as I can order a (2-teeth up or down) sprocket for a Lifan LF250-B on overnight delivery... (in several qualities... from steel up to craziness expensive titanium...

• 2 months later...

Old thread, but let me add that my stock Lifan 250 goes 110 easily and 120 on the flat after a while. Tested against GPS frequently, the speedometer is actually correct! Fifth gear is more like overdrive and won't wind out.

Keeway's seller is from Taiwan. I don't know how they source or build this model, but some of the island's manufacturers have better international reputations than mainland ones, so far, in the two-wheeled business, Kymco and Sym being two.

I too live in Chiang Mai, and while the dealer has done no wrong by me, I'm sure from observations that Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha mechanics here in town are familiar with their models and far more likely to do anything right the first time. (My Suzuki Hayate after 5K has never seen the shop, except for standard service.)

All new models or companies with small distribution have this problem developing experienced and dedicated service. It's not only the relatively untried bike we buy, but its support, such as it is.

Edited by CMX

Does anyone know if there is alternative sprockets for sale for Honda Phantom 200 to make it rev less at high speed ?

preferably in Pattaya

I wish my Phantom would rev very much at all.

Granted that I am a fat bugger but the most I have ever got from my Phantom was 110 kph and yes I was going downhill at the time.

The problem is that both 5th and 6th gears are overdrive so if you have the urge to overtake you need to kick it down to 4th to go anywhere.

Saying that my Phantom will take me anywhere I need to go but at a more leisurely pace probably because they took out the warp factor drive to put into the Starship Enterprise.

Still looking for a rear sissy bar bag hanger for my B-250? Starting my second year in Feb with this bike and only issue was I left it for 5 months, needed new plugs to idle proper. If you do know where a rack is, please PM me. Speed is still only comfortable around 90K, just to light for more. Maybe when the 400 gets here will try that.