Mayonnaise

manarak

I have tried various products labeled "Mayonnaise", but none contained Mayonnaise, even those labeled "real mayonnaise".

Tried Kraft, Heinz, a couple of Thai products... no joy.

They tasted more like salad cream.

I am looking for mayonnaise made from egg yolk, oil (preferably olive oil), and vinegar or lemon juice, a hint of mustard would be nice too.

So, fellow gourmets, where can I find my mayo?

Makro sells Hellman's (Best) Mayo just the same as US type. You must look at the ingredients to make sure that there is no sugar. The mayo is sold in 1 liter plastic bags. Many different types so like I said check the ingredients. We always just snip off a small part of the corner and use it as a squeeze container. Works well.

Big C sell Kuipee (sp?) brand which is also very good but more expensive. Again check the label as there may be more than one type as the Thais apparently like the sugar kind. This comes in a smaller plastic squeeze container packed in a plastic bag.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

So easy to make, and so much nicer. Why buy it ready-made?

You can do it in 10 minutes with just a fork and a hand whisk, and a bit of elbow grease. If you have a kitchen mixer you can make it in under 60 seconds, and no elbow grease.

http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/sauces-and-dressings/how-to-make-mayonnaise.html

Not a good idea to use more than a small proportion of olive oil as the flavour is too strong. For me, garlic is a must. Mustard too.

There is a thread in the Western Food in Thailand sub-forum (above) titled Mayonnaise Crisis Again that has all of the information that you require. The best readily available mayonnaise (other than making it at home) in Thailand is Best Foods/Hellmans and Kewpie, a Japanese brand. Many recommend/prefer "Kewpie brand in the blue bag", which has no sugar. Both can be found at Makro.

Edited by Thailaw

So easy to make, and so much nicer. Why buy it ready-made?

You can do it in 10 minutes with just a fork and a hand whisk, and a bit of elbow grease. If you have a kitchen mixer you can make it in under 60 seconds, and no elbow grease.

http://www.deliaonli...mayonnaise.html

Not a good idea to use more than a small proportion of olive oil as the flavour is too strong. For me, garlic is a must. Mustard too.

That sounds lush, I want to make some however I have not seen groundnut oil here (is it available), if not what do suggest as a substitute ?

Yes Thai mayo is nasty! There may be a Spanish brand perhaps at Foodland or Villa? that has olive oil in it; I haven't tasted it. Unlike you, I find the American brands here that say REAL MAYO to be acceptable.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes Thai mayo is nasty! There may be a Spanish brand perhaps at Foodland or Villa? that has olive oil in it; I haven't tasted it. Unlike you, I find the American brands here that say REAL MAYO to be acceptable.

Maybe you have yet to taste the real thing?

Thank you all for the info. I will give Hellman's a shot if I can find it.

Isn't some kind of ID required to shop at Makro?

The real thing like homemade mayo in a good restaurant? Sure I have. I said the real mayo labeled American brand stuff here is acceptable to me. I didn't say it was the best mayo I have tasted. The Thai style mayo is not acceptable to me, would rather have nothing. Good luck to you.

I see it's made with Sonnen-blumen oil. Sunflower I suppose. Not olive oil as the OP seeks.

Half and half, sunflower (or one thats not too flavoured is better still) and olive oil is best.

Start off with the sunflower oil and check consistency when adding the olive oil to see if it needs the full half of olive oil.

A minced garlic clove or 2 wouldnt come amiss, either ;)

Penkoprod

Thomy is not bad for an industrial mayonnaise - but no olive oil.

I you like Thomy, you will probably like the french brands Lesieur or Amora.

I wonder how expensive the Thomy is - I would then just bring some tubes with me from Switzerland if weight allowance allows.

Making it myself is overkill, usually I just need a few, if I do it, I always end up with with a jar :-/

Hellman's is sold as Best Foods in Thailand. You can get a "temporary" card at Makro. Just stop at the customer service counter when you enter and they will give you a card/number, no charge. Getting a Makro card is also free and easy, and worth having. It is not the place to buy everything, but it does have many hard to find items at better prices than the other stores, especially now that Carrefour is gone.

thomy mayio cost indeed expensive...a mayionaise lover like me...will need to pay for it...

180 bath a tube....

But the best you can find...at my hamburgerstand i use heinz...before carrefour had nice mayionaise...housemark,very tasty...but we all know what happend to that........bigc extra headache...lol

That sounds lush, I want to make some however I have not seen groundnut oil here (is it available), if not what do suggest as a substitute ?

Obviously personal preference counts for a lot, but most cooks would recommend avoiding strong oils like olive, or only using them in minimal proportions (10%?) for flavouring.

Sunflower oil is good. Also corn oil, peanut (groundnut), safflower. In the tropics they have coconut, palm and palmiste, but I wouldnt use them for mayo as the flavour is wrong.

Rapeseed oil gives the most fantastic yellow colour and is good for you (ta-da!). Cant imagine it would be easy to find here, or cheap. If you can find it, mix about 10-20% with sunflower or one of the other flavourless oils mentioned.

It really is a doddle to make, especially if you have a mixer/blender. Just make sure you add the oil very slowly, especially at the start.

Ah. Canola is not a name I know from Europe.

"Canola (named from 'CANadian Oil, Low Acid') is a type of crop that has been developed in Canada. The parent crop of Canola is rapeseed, and Canadian Scientists have used various breeding and selection techniques in its creation. The logic behind this research was to create a food crop that had extremely attractive nutritional qualities. These qualities include being very low in saturated fat while simultaneously being a source of omega 3, which is usually only found in suitable quantities in oily fish. Canola is also rich in vitamin E."

I wonder if the rapeseed oil I know from Europe is really Canola, or actual rapeseed as the name implies?

Either way, it's a very good oil.

Ah. Canola is not a name I know from Europe.

"Canola (named from 'CANadian Oil, Low Acid') is a type of crop that has been developed in Canada. The parent crop of Canola is rapeseed, and Canadian Scientists have used various breeding and selection techniques in its creation. The logic behind this research was to create a food crop that had extremely attractive nutritional qualities. These qualities include being very low in saturated fat while simultaneously being a source of omega 3, which is usually only found in suitable quantities in oily fish. Canola is also rich in vitamin E."

I wonder if the rapeseed oil I know from Europe is really Canola, or actual rapeseed as the name implies?

Either way, it's a very good oil.

Thank God for Wikipedia and an abundance of time on your hands Darrel.

Not to change the subject, but I use Canola oil for cooking. no trans fats, and is easily available in Thailand. for Mayonnaise, I use the Tesco brand mayonnaise, which is the closest taste to the mayonnaise in America

Barry.

Tesco brand mayonnaise is an interesting new one on me. Have to try it out. But come now, more American then Hellmann's (Best Foods)???? Do want to check the price though. Competition is a good thing.

Just for those who may doubt - this from wiki

Hellmann's and Best Foods are brand names that are used for the same line of mayonnaise and other food products. The Hellmann's brand is sold in the United States east of the Rocky Mountains, and also in Latin America, Europe, Middle East and Canada. The Best Foods brand is sold in the United States west of the Rockies, and also in Asia, Australia, and New Zealand.

Both brands were previously sold by the U.S.-based Bestfoods Corporation. Bestfoods, before 1997 known as CPC international, was acquired by Unilever in 2000.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

.... I use Canola oil for cooking.

You dont find it has too strong a flavour if used pure?

I don't think Canola oil has a particular strong taste. I use it pure both for mayo and for cooking. It's a little expensive at about twice the price of sunflower oil, but considering the cheapest stent you can have here - when your arteries are clogged up with cholesterol - is around 120,000 baht, I don't mind spending the extra 40 baht once a month ;)

This is how I've made mayo for years, in this order:

• 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • Mix in Canola oil until happy with the consistency, normally that's about two cups or so. The usual rules apply: Go very slow with the oil in the beginning, once it starts to thicken you can add the oil faster. The more oil you mix in the stiffer it gets. It should get quite stiff as it will be thinned by the mustard and garlic.
  • Mix in 1 tbsp Dijon mustard. Other types are good as well but Dijon is my favorite.
  • 1 tbsp fresh ground pepper
  • 5-6 large cloves of crushed garlic
  • Salt to taste

.... I use Canola oil for cooking.

You dont find it has too strong a flavour if used pure?

I don't think Canola oil has a particular strong taste. I use it pure both for mayo and for cooking. It's a little expensive at about twice the price of sunflower oil, but considering the cheapest stent you can have here - when your arteries are clogged up with cholesterol - is around 120,000 baht, I don't mind spending the extra 40 baht once a month ;)

This is how I've made mayo for years, in this order:

• 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • Mix in Canola oil until happy with the consistency, normally that's about two cups or so. The usual rules apply: Go very slow with the oil in the beginning, once it starts to thicken you can add the oil faster. The more oil you mix in the stiffer it gets. It should get quite stiff as it will be thinned by the mustard and garlic.
  • Mix in 1 tbsp Dijon mustard. Other types are good as well but Dijon is my favorite.
  • 1 tbsp fresh ground pepper
  • 5-6 large cloves of crushed garlic
  • Salt to taste

This receipe seems perfect to eat with crab or prawns