Dog Traders Given Bail By Isaan Court

Lite Beer

I don't understand why some of you are so uptight over dogs being served as food. It's only a piece of meat and nothing else. I wonder how many of those who condemn eating of dog meats is actually a meat eater themselves.

think I don't get your point here, these are 2000 dogs, creatures with a soul and heart, they feel happiness, sadness, pain, and fear ....same as we humans do. Dogs are not a thing they are living creatures and they deserve our respect! What is happening here is animal cruelty, abusive and crime!!!

This is NOt solving a problem, this is mindless greed of mad minded morons, if you want to say this is a good way to solve the dog population problem, all I can say is that this is cruel and you are insane (sorry). There are modern ways to control population, what about sterilization and neutering? Buddhism teaches us that the initial precept is non-injury or non-violence to all living creatures from the lowest insect to humans.... We have to respect every creature and not tolerate such a cruelty against animals and abuse! Dogs are NOT farm animals, breeded for humans to eat!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a problem with other people eating dog as long as the dogs are either bred for their meat or are real strays and they are looked after while being bred and transported, then put down humainly. No more taking peoples pets.

I lost a dog 2 years ago in NP and ironically the dogs name was Laos (he looked like a Laos dog), he may well have been eaten by his name sake.

He was an old dog I just hope he wasn't tenderised :o .

I don't understand why some of you are so uptight over dogs being served as food. It's only a piece of meat and nothing else. I wonder how many of those who condemn eating of dog meats is actually a meat eater themselves.

think I don't get your point here, these are 2000 dogs, creatures with a soul and heart, they feel happiness, sadness, pain, and fear ....same as we humans do. Dogs are not a thing they are living creatures and they deserve our respect! What is happening here is animal cruelty, abusive and crime!!!

This is NOt solving a problem, this is mindless greed of mad minded morons, if you want to say this is a good way to solve the dog population problem, all I can say is that this is cruel and you are insane (sorry). There are modern ways to control population, what about sterilization and neutering? Buddhism teaches us that the initial precept is non-injury or non-violence to all living creatures from the lowest insect to humans.... We have to respect every creature and not tolerate such a cruelty against animals and abuse! Dogs are NOT farm animals, breeded for humans to eat!

But its ok to do it to all the other animals that were on the Ark.....just not the dogs !!!

But its ok to do it to all the other animals that were on the Ark.....just not the dogs !!!

??????? if this is to comment my saying....read again carefully!

I think you will find that in Vietnam, they are bred for human consumption.

Dog, pig, sheep, cow..........all part of the food chain.

Crazy world we live in now it's animals before people.

About time some of you people got your priorities right .If you were starving you would happily eat cats, dogs, horses etc. Just consider how our ancestors dined.

Remember the South American plane crash ?

The survivors dined upon the corpses of their fellow passengers who died in the crash.

The survival instinct always rises to the top, We are nothing more than animals ourselves.

@siampolee: I have posted my thoughts to this horrible story earlier... but say, did you read the article well????? this was 1.st an illegal, not licensed transport of 2000 dogs just for the greed of some madminded morons, 2nd. it was NOT a transport of humanity to save starving people! Your comment definitely is out of topic and useless.

I suspect that a large part of the abhorrence to the practice is the inhumane way the animals are treated, I have also heard accounts from people who witnessed the beating to death of a dog to tenderize it and I do believe it is not an uncommon method among those Asians who eat dog.

If you are going to eat an animal there really is no need to torture it to death. And additionally the theft of people's pets is just that, theft.

I suspect that a large part of the abhorrence to the practice is the inhumane way the animals are treated, I have also heard accounts from people who witnessed the beating to death of a dog to tenderize it and I do believe it is not an uncommon method among those Asians who eat dog.

If you are going to eat an animal there really is no need to torture it to death. And additionally the theft of people's pets is just that, theft.

Spot on.

Whilst I am not fundamentally against dogs being part of the food chain, I agree 100% with SBK. There is no excuse for inhumane treatment of 'animals' and there should be a regulated system for trading any animals.

I think you will find that in Vietnam, they are bred for human consumption.

Dog, pig, sheep, cow..........all part of the food chain.

Might be, but these dogs were NOT breeded for dinner tables and in fact are Thai dogs! And I am pretty sure that many of them were pets with owners! this is cruel and abusive not less!

Over 700 Smuggled Dogs Die after Rescue

More than 700 dogs recently rescued from an international smuggling ring in Nakhon Phanom Province have died in quarantine.

The animal quarantine station in Nakhon Phanom Province is currently holding more than 1,800 dogs rescued from an international smuggling ring.

It is believed that the dogs were to be shipped to slaughterhouses in neighboring countries.

According to the latest report, more than 700 dogs have already died while in holding pens.

Most succumbed to wounds sustained from the harsh condition while being transported.

Officials and veterinarians had to separate the dead dogs from the live ones and the carcasses have been buried to ensure sanitation.

Veterinarians are caring for the sick dogs but they have to be kept in overcrowded pens.

They will remain under the quarantine station's care until the legal procedure on the case is finalized.

The Livestock Development Department is seeking donations to pay for food and medical supplies for the dogs.

Those who are interested in making a donation can call 084-958-2134 or 042-522-591 for more information.

Donors can also make a direct cash transfer to the Nakhon Phanom Dogs Assistance Fund at the Bangkok Bank, Lotus Nakhon Phanom Branch, under account number 666-009-7947.

Authorities said that even though a stream of donations has been pouring in, it still might not be enough in the long run.

As for the arrested smugglers, the most severe charge that could be brought against them is violation of the animal epidemic law, which carries a maximum sentence of two years in prison, a fine of 4,000 baht or both.

Police said most convicted animal smugglers have chosen to pay fine rather than be jailed.

Many have also returned to animal smuggling because of the high amount of money they could earn.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-08-15

footer_n.gif

....what I have said earlier, just for the greed of some madminded morons, 700 dogs have died and the remaining poor souls are still hold under terrible conditions in overcroded pens!

Relax, if you are a believer of Buddhist philosophy, if you are one. ;)

Edited by sbk

....what I have said earlier, just for the greed of some madminded morons, 700 dogs have died and the remaining poor souls are still hold under terrible conditions in overcroded pens!

@ Samurai: as said as a believer in buddhist philosophy ( aswell as in parts of various world religions, btw) I easily get over it and I am preety much relaxed ;)

Edited by sbk

I am a little perplexed at some of the highly emotional comments. I may have been away from Farangland too long to understand and may very well sound like a sociopath to those Westerners.

As I read it, people aren't even being charged with theft; it's a veterinary issue, and smuggling issue. They will likely be fined for that. I would really like to see animal mistreatment charges be brought against them, of course, I don't know how feasible that is in Thailand. I often drive behind tucks transporting pigs, and that looks pretty bad to me, too, so I don't know how feasible it is to treat these people differently from just about any farmer or animal transporter.

I think the above is a balanced point of view, but then I see other balanced-minded posters being flamed to the ground by people foaming at the mouth. I find that interesting, first and foremost.

Edited by sbk
quotes deleted post

As for the arrested smugglers, the most severe charge that could be brought against them is violation of the animal epidemic law, which carries a maximum sentence of two years in prison, a fine of 4,000 baht or both.

Police said most convicted animal smugglers have chosen to pay fine rather than be jailed.

Why not use the "or both" option, and make sure they don't have a choice?

And to all of the madminded posters to the first related article, you are NOT better than these <deleted>**ng cruel and abusive smugglers!

As a believer of Buddhist philosophy, I am pretty sure that you sooner or later get back, that helps me to get over all these f**ing comments of yours, I had to read!!!!!!!!

@ Samurai: as said as a believer in buddhist philosophy ( aswell as in parts of various world religions, btw) I easily get over it and I am preety much relaxed ;)

But you sounds so catholic. Nevermind the swear words but try to make a point with using faith, morals and guilty blames. :rolleyes:

Are there some puppy to rescue there?

Maybe somebody close to that location could launch quickly a kind of charity to allow people to adopt dogs who are lucky enough to still be in good state.

For my side I'm OK to adopt a saved puppy. But I cannot go there as it is too far away for me.

Funny how we get emotional about some creatures and not others. A pig can be just as loyal and intelligent as a dog, in fact we are so close to them we can use their body parts (esp heart valves) in humans. But we eat loads of them.

You can eat a cow, but not a whale. A rabbit but not a dog.

How many of the rabid protesters here will sit down to a steak or tom yam kai tonight?

We are carnivores (ok strictly speaking omnivores) it's what we do. I'm all for the humane treatment of all animals, including those grown for food.

But unless you're vegan (no, you can't be a vege and still eat those poor sea creatures) the outcries are simply hypocritical.

You can only speak for yourself about this. I get emotional about any animal getting mistreated and I know lots of other people who do as well. And, it isn't just animals. Any time I see a weaker person getting mistreated, or children, it's the same thing. Domestic animals and children etc. are completely dependant on our mercy and we have a responsibility to take good care of them. It boggles my mind that I would even need to explain that to anyone.

Respectfully CMD you missed my point. I made it clear that I believe in the ethical treatment off all animals regardless of whether we eat them or not. People get emotional about which ones we eat, which as I said, unless you're vegan, makes no sense.

Yes sorry, I see my mistake. We are on the same team. :)

Are there some puppy to rescue there?

Maybe somebody close to that location could launch quickly a kind of charity to allow people to adopt dogs who are lucky enough to still be in good state.

For my side I'm OK to adopt a saved puppy. But I cannot go there as it is too far away for me.

same here! I am ready to adopt a puppy and I will be also happy to take care on a few adults with money donations for food and healtcare on a regular basis, just need to know how to do since I am also too far away, in case there are dogs to adopt I will find a way to pick the puppy up! For the adults I would need an address, is there any local rescue, such as dog rescue samui or dogfoundation Phuket overthere, where atleast some of these poor souls could be brought to?

Kindly pm me in case you have info to help with that matter

These thugs should not have been given bail. They should be made to suffer the same fate they had in mind for the dogs and be beaten to death and then skinned and eaten. The businessmen, police and politicians behind this trade should also suffer the same fate.

@arkady

:clap2:

These thugs should not have been given bail. They should be made to suffer the same fate they had in mind for the dogs and be beaten to death and then skinned and eaten. The businessmen, police and politicians behind this trade should also suffer the same fate.

@arkady

Your are clearly not Buddhist, just an obsessed dog "lover" with a bizarre fantasy.

Are you all vegan, or what? What you think your food is handled or where dog food comes from?

Officers at the quarantine station have buried some dead dogs but more dead ones had been found.

Nakhon Panom is famous for its dog meat. I'm pretty sure that nothing will happen to them.

You won't see a stray dog there, only in form of meat. Most foreigners don't understand why other people eat dogs.

How do we treat our chickens, pigs, cows and other animals???:jap:

I was told(by a Thai) that dog meat can fetch as much as 600baht a kilo?

There are a lot of Soi dogs out there. :whistling:

jb1

Officers at the quarantine station have buried some dead dogs but more dead ones had been found.

Nakhon Panom is famous for its dog meat. I'm pretty sure that nothing will happen to them.

You won't see a stray dog there, only in form of meat. Most foreigners don't understand why other people eat dogs.

How do we treat our chickens, pigs, cows and other animals???:jap:

I was told(by a Thai) that dog meat can fetch as much as 600baht a kilo?

There are a lot of Soi dogs out there. :whistling:

jb1

I understand that the going rate locally is 200 Baht for a good dog (or a plastic bowl for a small one) and I believe they are destined for Sakhon Nakon.

I also understand that all the sellers are Buddhists.

@arkady

Your are clearly not Buddhist, just an obsessed dog "lover" with a bizarre fantasy.

Are you all vegan, or what? What you think your food is handled or where dog food comes from?

@ Samurai : ... what ever you say! I have never said that I am Buddhist I ve said I believe in Buddhist philosophy and a few beliiefs out of world religions . I do not eat meat at all since childhood and my dogs are feed high quality foods. I am not obsessed with dogs, but do you know how these dogs must die for the dinner tables? Obviously not, they are badly beaten alive over many hours to get the meat tenderized. These morrons over there in Viet Nam pay 30 Dollar for one dog. It is one thing to eat dogmeat, but there is ZERO TOLERANCE here if the dogs have to be terribly tortured and have to die slowly and over hours in horrible pain!

Your are clearly not Buddhist, just an obsessed dog "lover" with a bizarre fantasy. Are you all vegan, or what? What you think your food is handled or where dog food comes from?

Well, I think there is an immense misconception about Buddhism. Buddhism is basically just about one thing. "Free YOURSELF from suffering". That's it because no one is able to change the world. Buddhism is not about loving everyone such as even the worst human scum. That is more this religious stuff leading basically to nowhere except maybe a wooden cross. Just correct what is within your power and tolerate the uncorrectable.

I consider myself to be a Buddhist. If something is really making me suffer I start pondering how to correct this. This does not include forgiving any f***ing thugs for whatever they do. Wanna go for my dog's meat? Beware of not ending up as motionless meat yourself. Clearly Buddhist, 'coz it helps to free me from suffering.

Tina is not Buddhist because of her anger? Hogwash, as long she is able to control this anger by letting it out. She is on the right path because she already appears to feel better now. Her suffering seems to have lowered already. She has compassion for the mistreated dogs. Buddhism. She wishes the thugs to hell. Well, she still gotta work on that. Don't care about them and their fate but just accept that scum like that exists. Live with it and have faith that one day they gonna get their "reward". No, not from an upper power but just by a real and natural pattern. Maybe, get bitten by a rabid dog or mauled badly by a bunch of them. Ups. :whistling: Not out of the world like some religious voodoo hoodoo but in line with Buddhist philosophy. Do good receive good, do bad receive bad. Buddhist concept. Nothing to do with obsessed love or hate but more with logic.

Hoping or even badly wishing they get their deserved punishment? Off track and too extreme because if law let's them off lightly this will cause you to suffer. There are just not worth making anyone suffer. They are just scum and well who cares about scum. Scum does usually not have a bright future in real life because the majority does not appreciate scum. And so, it is very likely that one day a proper bill will be presented. Just the thought should make you feel better already while hate just eats you up for nothing. Scum is not worth any suffering. Just have faith in nature. :rolleyes:

Edited by Richard Hall

We will drop the inflammatory trolling, the flaming, the baiting and nastiness. Next troll to step over the line will earn a suspension, I think I have issued enough public warnings in this thread.

Having skimmed through all the comments on this thread - both reasoned and profane - it seems to me that the fundamental point is MISSING.

Sure - I eat meat. And until science manages to come up with "cloned" meat, I will reluctantly continue to do so. It is NATURAL. In any case, even if every person on the planet went Vegan (live long and prosper) we cannot stop billions of ANIMALS from eating each other.

And we keep fish and reptiles as "pets" for their aesthetic beauty.

But the point about cats and dogs is that they are a SPECIAL CASE.

Mankind has always bred cows, sheep and their like for FOOD. They are (hopefully) carefully raised and humanely killed, for the purpose. Furthermore, even if you call your cow Daisy, it will never BOND with you.

However, we have ALWAYS bred dogs and cats as our COMPANIONS. They are sentient, intelligent and loyal. They have personalities and are totally dependent on us for their care - and therefore bond with us and TRUST us.

Thus, when we abuse and EAT them, we BETRAY that trust.

Edited by morpheusatloppers
Bold font removed, use default forum font when posting.

Having skimmed through all the comments on this thread - both reasoned and profane - it seems to me that the fundamental point is MISSING.

Sure - I eat meat. And until science manages to come up with "cloned" meat, I will reluctantly continue to do so. It is NATURAL. In any case, even if every person on the planet went Vegan (live long and prosper) we cannot stop billions of ANIMALS from eating each other.

And we keep fish and reptiles as "pets" for their aesthetic beauty.

But the point about cats and dogs is that they are a SPECIAL CASE.

Mankind has always bred cows, sheep and their like for FOOD. They are (hopefully) carefully raised and humanely killed, for the purpose. Furthermore, even if you call your cow Daisy, it will never BOND with you.

However, cats and dogs have ALWAYS been bred as our COMPANIONS. They are sentient, intelligent and loyal. They have personalities and are totally dependent on us for their care - and therefore bond with us and TRUST us.

Thus, when we abuse and EAT them, we BETRAY that trust.

@ Morpheusatloppers

I absolutly agree with you! Very well spoken!

Your are clearly not Buddhist, just an obsessed dog "lover" with a bizarre fantasy. Are you all vegan, or what? What you think your food is handled or where dog food comes from?

Well, I think there is an immense misconception about Buddhism. Buddhism is basically just about one thing. "Free YOURSELF from suffering". That's it because no one is able to change the world. Buddhism is not about loving everyone such as even the worst human scum. That is more this religious stuff leading basically to nowhere except maybe a wooden cross. Just correct what is within your power and tolerate the uncorrectable.

I consider myself to be a Buddhist. If something is really making me suffer I start pondering how to correct this. This does not include forgiving any f***ing thugs for whatever they do. Wanna go for my dog's meat? Beware of not ending up as motionless meat yourself. Clearly Buddhist, 'coz it helps to free me from suffering.

Tina is not Buddhist because of her anger? Hogwash, as long she is able to control this anger by letting it out. She is on the right path because she already appears to feel better now. Her suffering seems to have lowered already. She has compassion for the mistreated dogs. Buddhism. She wishes the thugs to hell. Well, she still gotta work on that. Don't care about them and their fate but just accept that scum like that exists. Live with it and have faith that one day they gonna get their "reward". No, not from an upper power but just by a real and natural pattern. Maybe, get bitten by a rabid dog or mauled badly by a bunch of them. Ups. :whistling: Not out of the world like some religious voodoo hoodoo but in line with Buddhist philosophy. Do good receive good, do bad receive bad. Buddhist concept. Nothing to do with obsessed love or hate but more with logic.

Hoping or even badly wishing they get their deserved punishment? Off track and too extreme because if law let's them off lightly this will cause you to suffer. There are just not worth making anyone suffer. They are just scum and well who cares about scum. Scum does usually not have a bright future in real life because the majority does not appreciate scum. And so, it is very likely that one day a proper bill will be presented. Just the thought should make you feel better already while hate just eats you up for nothing. Scum is not worth any suffering. Just have faith in nature. :rolleyes:

@ Richard Hall: :thumbsup: Exactly!