Dog Traders Given Bail By Isaan Court

Lite Beer

Dog traders given bail by Isaan court

By Tawee Aphisakulchat

The Nation on Sunday

Police took legal action yesterday against a group of dog smugglers in Nakhon Phanom Provincial Court but the court deferred the case until two accomplices who fled arrest are caught.

Meanwhile, Nakhon Phanom Governor Rerngsak Mahawinijchaimontree has opened a bank account to receive donations, as more than 1,000 dogs seized from the traders are languishing at Nakhon Phanom Animal Quarantine Station because of a severe shortage of food. The dogs are said to be exhausted and in pain.

Police arrested three men in Nakhon Phanom, a border province in the Northeast, on Thursday night. They were Montree Phanklang, a local resident, Tran Van Hai, a Vietnamese citizen, and Noppadon Chaiwangrat, a man from Sakon Nakhon.

The court allowed the three to be temporarily released yesterday on bail.

Police said two other suspects who drove some of the seized trucks managed to escape arrest.

In the prosecution, police accuse the suspects of six offences. The charges include torturing animals, having no permit to transport the animals, having no permit to trade the animals, moving animals to a zone at risk of a rabies epidemic without informing the authorities, and failing to have dogs vaccinated.

Officers at the quarantine station have buried some dead dogs but more dead ones had been found.

Local residents visited the dogs to feed them.

Some people from Nakhon Ratchasima and Kalasin rushed to the station to search for missing dogs, as they believed their beloved pets were among those held there. They called their animals' names but could not find them.

There are approximately 1,200 dogs at the station, so food and medicine to treat them is urgently needed.

The bank account opened by the governor for donations for the dogs is a Bangkok Bank account, with the number 666 009-7947.

People who want to donate food can contact the quarantine station around the clock via 042 522-591.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-14

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Officers at the quarantine station have buried some dead dogs but more dead ones had been found.

Nakhon Panom is famous for its dog meat. I'm pretty sure that nothing will happen to them.

You won't see a stray dog there, only in form of meat. Most foreigners don't understand why other people eat dogs.

How do we treat our chickens, pigs, cows and other animals???:jap:

Slam me if you will, but as an American living in China and Thailand for the last 20 years, I see nothing wrong with the farming and selling of dogs for human consumption. I do however feel there is a need to reform the process in order for it to be more humane for the animals and that health issues are addressed. The stealing of personal pets has to be stopped and proper facilities built to ensure that the animals do not suffer and are treated as well as we do our cattle, chickens and pigs. Not saying that they are treated any better, but at least there are some laws on the books that are supposed to be followed. We will never get rid of the problem unless it is legalized and controlled by the state. All the dogs they have so called "rescued" in this Issan raid will most likely be killed and burned anyway and the whole operation will have done nothing except to take food from people mouths.Maybe next time they want to grab headlines by "rescuing" over a thousand dogs, they will have the foresight to make arrangements for their care before hand.

to all the negative posts,a dog is bred as a pet,who becomes part of your family,loyal,intelligent and a freind for life and would put his or her life on the line for you,so if you think its alright to steel someones pet and have them suffer a horrific death the next time

Edited by sbk
attack removed

Slam me if you will, but as an American living in China and Thailand for the last 20 years, I see nothing wrong with the farming and selling of dogs for human consumption. I do however feel there is a need to reform the process in order for it to be more humane for the animals and that health issues are addressed. The stealing of personal pets has to be stopped and proper facilities built to ensure that the animals do not suffer and are treated as well as we do our cattle, chickens and pigs. Not saying that they are treated any better, but at least there are some laws on the books that are supposed to be followed. We will never get rid of the problem unless it is legalized and controlled by the state. All the dogs they have so called "rescued" in this Issan raid will most likely be killed and burned anyway and the whole operation will have done nothing except to take food from people mouths.Maybe next time they want to grab headlines by "rescuing" over a thousand dogs, they will have the foresight to make arrangements for their care before hand.

I pretty much agree with your well written article.

Perhaps the new government can address this very serious situation in the next session of Parliament. I believe in the governmental process, and hope that this problem will be addressed.

Edited by timberboy

For Timberboy, post #150 in the closed tred.

Yes i do have dogs and have had dogs since a pup meself.

Personally I would not eat a dog.

I do not have cats and do not particularly like them and I would not eat a cat.

I do not have a snake now, but used to and I would eat snake.

I never had a rat and would not eat rat.

I never had an emu or ostrich but have eaten both.

I have had pet chickens and ducks and do eat duck and chicken.

You don't seem to understand the logic do you ??

Crazy world we live in now it's animals before people.

About time some of you people got your priorities right .If you were starving you would happily eat cats, dogs, horses etc. Just consider how our ancestors dined.

Remember the South American plane crash ?

The survivors dined upon the corpses of their fellow passengers who died in the crash.

The survival instinct always rises to the top, We are nothing more than animals ourselves.

Most foreigners don't understand why other people eat dogs.

Tell me, do you have a similar quote in terms of cannibals? Something like it is just a cultural thing or so?

Frankly said, what's the difference between a human and a dog? Not hard to answer, ain't it? Humans just got two legs, bark more sophisticated and well, there are far too many of them on this planet.

Taking care of 22 dogs and 23 cats at our house, myself. All former strays and all neutered. Also feeding another 30 or so in our area. Cost me about 25K a month. Thanks, my human fellow people. Just wondering, why some people are such bitches. Sorry female dogs, no offence meant. :rolleyes:

Edited by Richard Hall

What seems to be overlooked is the horrendous way the dog meat is transformed into a "delicacy". While serving in Viet Nam I heard a dog howling in agony all day. When I asked about it I was told that the dogs were slowly beaten to death over the course of a day, and somtimes longer, to bruise the poor hapless creature "all over" to tenderise the meat. That is why this horrific trade should be stopped And nomatter how well an article is written it must be factual.

Perhaps the new government can address this very serious situation in the next session of Parliament. I believe in the governmental process, and hope that this problem will be addressed.

Edited by paymaster

For Timberboy, post #150 in the closed tred.

Yes i do have dogs and have had dogs since a pup meself.

Personally I would not eat a dog.

I do not have cats and do not particularly like them and I would not eat a cat.

I do not have a snake now, but used to and I would eat snake.

I never had a rat and would not eat rat.

I never had an emu or ostrich but have eaten both.

I have had pet chickens and ducks and do eat duck and chicken.

You don't seem to understand the logic do you ??

(Pick your deity) help us if dogs or cats develop opposable thumbs...... if the chucks get there first, we are really screwed.

to all the negative posts,a dog is bred as a pet,who becomes part of your family,loyal,intelligent and a freind for life and would put his or her life on the line for you,so if you think its alright to steel someones pet and have them suffer a horrific death

if it was me i would have knigted them.come on my sio where a stupid women has 29 dogs. barking 24/7 yes i have rang her door bell many times during the night. but she is gutless.

Most foreigners don't understand why other people eat dogs.

Tell me, do you have a similar quote in terms of cannibals? Something like it is just a cultural thing or so?

Frankly said, what's the difference between a human and a dog? Not hard to answer, ain't it? Humans just got two legs, bark more sophisticated and well, there are far too many of them on this planet.

Taking care of 22 dogs and 23 cats at our house, myself. All former strays and all neutered. Also feeding another 30 or so in our area. Cost me about 25K a month. Thanks, my human fellow people. Just wondering, why some people are such bitches. Sorry female dogs, no offence meant. :rolleyes:

This is part of the problem, if you spent your money on desexing the animals, you, every one else and Thailand would be much better off, people that feed stray dogs think they are doing the right thing, but are only making the stray dog problem worst, a lot of education is necessary about this stuation.

Edited by metisdead
Repaired the reply, when replying to a post, do not make your reply inside the [quote] tags

to all the negative posts,a dog is bred as a pet,who becomes part of your family,loyal,intelligent and a freind for life and would put his or her life on the line for you,so if you think its alright to steel someones pet and have them suffer a horrific death the next time your pissed out of what brain you have and laying in the gutter one comes up and pisses all over you.

if it was me i would have knigted them.come on my sio where a stupid women has 29 dogs. barking 24/7 yes i have rang her door bell many times during the night. but she is gutless.

get some cotton wool,6posts in 1year says it all.I SHALL BE AT BANGKOK BANK TOMORROW so if you would like to donate,acc.no.666-0097947 why dont you move.

This is part of the problem, if you spent your money on desexing the animals, you, every one else and Thailand would be much better off, people that feed stray dogs think they are doing the right thing, but are only making the stray dog problem worst, a lot of education is necessary about this stuation.

I spent my money on both. Desexing and feeding. Even desexed animals need to eat. Goes for heartless people as well. Suggestion: Let the heartless starve and use the food for better purposes. Just an idea. :rolleyes:

Edited by Richard Hall

A westerner, caught in the place of this Vietnamese would be languishing in an Immigration prison for working without a work permit. No bail. Double standard.

Surely just a matter of humanity. Guess, that poor little chap hasn't got a visa to sell cigarettes in Berlin. :rolleyes:

I see many locals and foreigners here in Thailand that do the right thing, even the Bangkok city administration. - They went around with teams of vets and helpers for desexing, vaccination and other medications for pets, - for free. Even Soi dogs got treated well. Unfortunately the agression level is rising, more and more people show less compassion with pets, even when the pets are taken care well and not roaming the streets.

I appreciate everyone that helps these creatures who can't help itself. I ju8st ignore those Charlie Mansion style of posters here. If anybody wants to setup fundraiser to support the rescue of animals, use the site as mentioned below. It may be too late for many creatures, but we can always prevent that in future then.

3cbb9afc9c709abdaadf7d19f6786ca7.jpg

I also agree.

You will not stop the Vietnamese eating dogs. Therefore, there will always be a market for dog.

I think that the effort should focus on controls, quotas, hygiene, animal welfare etc.

"What seems to be overlooked is the horrendous way the dog meat is transformed into a "delicacy". While serving in Viet Nam I heard a dog howling in agony all day. When I asked about it I was told that the dogs were slowly beaten to death over the course of a day, and somtimes longer, to bruise the poor hapless creature "all over" to tenderise the meat. That is why this horrific trade should be stopped And nomatter how well an article is written it must be factual."

Paymaster, I wish you hadn't posted this and desperately hope it is not true :(.

Man's inhumanity to other people, as well as other animals makes me wish I believed in a God or Buddhism. Then I would at least have the comfort of knowing that they would either end up in hell, or return and suffer the way they inflicted suffering in their previous life.

to all the negative posts,a dog is bred as a pet,who becomes part of your family,loyal,intelligent and a freind for life and would put his or her life on the line for you,so if you think its alright to steel someones pet and have them suffer a horrific death

I have seen few negative but many funny post. In fact this is the best thread for a long time.

I had a pet chicken --- we fed it, raised it and ate it.

I had a pet pig --- we fed it, raised it and ate it.

I had a pet lamb --- we fed it, raised it and ate it.

I had a pet duck --- we fed it, raised it and ate it.

Never tried dog but now have some good recipes.

These thugs should not have been given bail. They should be made to suffer the same fate they had in mind for the dogs and be beaten to death and then skinned and eaten. The businessmen, police and politicians behind this trade should also suffer the same fate.

Edited by Arkady

These thugs should not have been given bail. They should be made to suffer the same fate they had in mind for the dogs and be beaten to death and then skinned and eaten. The businessmen, police and politicians behind this trade should also suffer the same fate.

As they have been given bail until the other offenders have been caught (or have I misread the article?), we can safely assume they will suffer no consequences.

Let's face it, it is v rare for someone who has caused suffering, either to other people or other animals, to endure any consequences.

As I said before, I only hope that (even though I don't believe it) there really is either hell or reincarnation to ensure that those who cause suffering end up enduring the same suffering they inflicted.

Edited by F1fanatic

There certainly is something like heaven and hell but not in a religious context but on Earth. The Buddhists call it Karma. Action results in proper reaction. No problem, someone can keep ignoring this but then one day being at the wrong place, at the wrong time...

Doing good deeds will result in a positive feedback (ทำดีรับดี) can have a very feet on the ground meaning without any deity intervening. This particularly holds true to a developing country such as Thailand. No man made law it so tough as nature's law. There is no such thing as bail when the shit hits the hurricane. So why despair? Does not get you anywhere but just makes your suffer for nothing. :rolleyes:

The just cared to bring this into the news since this morons tried to illigally trade these poor souls! Is really no one of you aware that this is common and happends regulary??? As long as you have a licence you can trade as many Thaidogs for " dinner purpose" of Chinese, Vietnamese etc., pp.All you whining and compassion on this does not help the poor dogs!!! Get up from your dam_n computers and do something instead! Yes, I am also  in tears and heartbroken. BUT this sadly is a horribly common procedere which is even legal with a licence, this is one way on how Thai Gov. gets rid of the over population of all the homeless and street dogs! Seems they haver never heard of neutering or sterilization....And as long as done with valid licence, no one cares a shit on... in some provinces the officials still kill the dogs and cats with rat poison, can anyone imagine what a horrible dead that is???I have been told that there are trucks with licenses who regular cross borders with dogs caged as seen in the pic! Thanks to Buddha they have stopped at least one....they might have been able only to stop them cause these morons drove without a licence....Feeling sad for that doesn ' t help the animals. Only action helps here and spreading the word!!!!!I have twittered this, I have set into my Facebook, and I have it in my Google + stream. I have informed PETA about this since I am a membrr for many years! So, don' t just sit in front of your monitors and feel sad, do something.Something has to be done that things like this are not going to happen any more. We live in a buddhist country. I am not only a dog lover, in fact I love all animals and everyone should show respect for every living creature, as buddhism says from the smalles insect to humans...That  's been said, I want to ask you to inform me as soon as anyone of you is ready to take action, I am the first to join! It does no t help anyone to feel sad for the dogs or people who might be the owners!  it only helps to act against it!