What Makes For A Happy Farang?

johnbits

Which makes most farang men in Thailand happier?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the end, are the ex-pats that never get serious with a women and move from one to the next happier than the ex-pats that find a good women and get married?

Surely with the GIKs / bargirls there will be problems, but the advantage will be that you can move on to the next one and there is a lot of variety, you never get bored. You know a big part if about your money and you aren't really going to be able to trust 95% of your GIKs very far.

With a wife you have a companion that loves you and only wants to see you happy, you can trust her with your money, but the relationship will lack variety. With all the women in Thailand looking for a BF, can a man be happy with only 1?

Do the dedicated mongers get tired of the lifestyle and long for steady relationship with a women that only loves them?

I would suggest that none of the above makes for either happiness or contentment.

My list would contain many things ... and when lucky sometimes a spouse/partner fills in several of those areas.

Living in a place you want to be.

Having meaningful use for your time.

Having true friendships.

Having intellectual stimulation.

I would suggest that none of the above makes for either happiness or contentment.

My list would contain many things ... and when lucky sometimes a spouse/partner fills in several of those areas.

Having true friendships.

I wouldn't come to Thailand for intellectual stimulation.

I would come to Thailand for sexual stimulation - and cold beer !

Simplistically, a combination of the OP's choices would suffice

'johnbits'…………If only man's relationship with women, with or without a wife was as simple as you describe mate……You say; "With a wife you have a companion that loves you and only wants to see you happy, you can trust her with your money" Can I ask, are you single? I think so.

Think…You don't need to be married to be loved……You don't need to be single to get stung! :rolleyes:

Edited by Tonto21

It depends on your age. It depends on your interests. It depends on your virility. There is no one size fits all. Some men want a family and some men want their freedom. Some already have had a family. It is extremely difficult to remain sexually attracted to the same spouse for 30 years or more. That is true for females as well as males.

Having true friendships.

I wouldn't come to Thailand for intellectual stimulation.

I would come to Thailand for sexual stimulation - and cold beer !

Simplistically, a combination of the OP's choices would suffice

I was getting the kind of stimulation you look for back home ;) With a better selection of beer.

Perhaps it was moving here in my late 30's and not working for years that lead me to the conclusions I have come to.

For me all I need is a few pals, football, cricket and boxing, PG Wodehouse, a hardback copy of Wisden every year, good English tea, a few beers of an evening, to get paid on time and to wake up next to the wife every morning and I'm sorted.

Do you play cricket here in Thailand?

As others have said it is rather simplistic to ask if someone would rather be married or sleep around. Basically this can be done in any country.

I enjoy being with my entire Thai family. The girls are great, MIL and FIL are great. The wife is excellent and actually has more than a thought or 2 in her head.

As others have said it is rather simplistic to ask if someone would rather be married or sleep around. Basically this can be done in any country.

I enjoy being with my entire Thai family. The girls are great, MIL and FIL are great. The wife is excellent and actually has more than a thought or 2 in her head.

Gonsalviz, I believe Thailand is one of the top 5 countries in the world where it is easist for a Farang to sleep with many women of a higher quality than any other place.

This could be either P4P women or an ordinary TG.

Another example, my brother used to live in Alaska, sometime he wouldn't see another human being for a week. Hard to sleep around when there is no one around. I think in that sort of situation, a man is more likely to get married and stay married because the number of available women you would want to live with is very limited.

Many farang come toi Thailand for no other reason that women.

Yet many of those same Farang men get married. Why is that, are then happier married? Even if eventually it doesn't work out.

So I thought the question was use uniquely suited to men living in Thailand.

Edited by johnbits

No reason why you cannot have the best of both worlds, need to include cold beer though.

Spoon, you can try and be married and butterfly, but just as likely you will get the worst of both worlds. I think here farangs are at a disadvantage Vs Thai men. Because a farang cannot own property, and often the Thai wife owns the house, making it easier for her to want to dump a husband she thinks is a jerk, and giving her both evidence and motivation to get a divorce.

Maybe I as wrong about this, but Thai women seem to have quite a temper when they are jealous.

No reason why you cannot have the best of both worlds, need to include cold beer though.

Spoon, you can try and be married and butterfly, but just as likely you will get the worst of both worlds. I think here farangs are at a disadvantage Vs Thai men. Because a farang cannot own property, and often the Thai wife owns the house, making it easier for her to want to dump a husband she thinks is a jerk, and giving her both evidence and motivation to get a divorce.

Maybe I as wrong about this, but Thai women seem to have quite a temper when they are jealous.

You can own a condo and a business and a car. Land is no big deal unless you are a farmer. Easier to fool around because it is built into the Thai culture. There are short time hotels almost everywhere for a quickie if you know where to look for them. They even pull a drape around your car to protect your identity. Thai men have it made. As Farang become more acquainted with the culture and language they become more able to take advantage of it the same as the native male population.

You can own a condo and a business and a car. Land is no big deal unless you are a farmer. Easier to fool around because it is built into the Thai culture. There are short time hotels almost everywhere for a quickie if you know where to look for them. They even pull a drape around your car to protect your identity. Thai men have it made. As Farang become more acquainted with the culture and language they become more able to take advantage of it the same as the native male population.

I am aware of the options, I visited My Lady Hotel which had the drapes for cars. I thought the rooms were quite nice, reasonable price for LT, with a jacuzzi bathtub for two. I am not too share I like the bathrooms, they had clear glass walls. But they did have several rooms based on different themes. One downside for many farangs was no one spoke english at the front desk.

I guess I should have added a third option, get married and screw around. This just reflected my own thinking, I like to keep things simple, either be married or screw around and not be married.

I am aware of the options, I visited My Lady Hotel which had the drapes for cars. I thought the rooms were quite nice, reasonable price for LT, with a jacuzzi bathtub for two. I am not too share I like the bathrooms, they had clear glass walls. But they did have several rooms based on different themes. One downside for many farangs was no one spoke english at the front desk.

I guess I should have added a third option, get married and screw around. This just reflected my own thinking, I like to keep things simple, either be married or screw around and not be married.

I came to Thailand for the culture and if you don't at least speak basic Thai you will not get much of a cultural experience. Having said that I was of course monogamous in the West and only walk of the wild side here to experience what a Thai man experiences in terms of cultural authenticity. I find it is difficult to pick and choose only parts of a culture and get the full experience, in for a penny in for a pound is my motto. The glass walls are more of a Japanese thing in my experience but maybe I have something to learn there.

I came to Thailand for the culture and if you don't at least speak basic Thai you will not get much of a cultural experience. Having said that I was of course monogamous in the West and only walk of the wild side here to experience what a Thai man experiences in terms of cultural authenticity. I find it is difficult to pick and choose only parts of a culture and get the full experience, in for a penny in for a pound is my motto. The glass walls are more of a Japanese thing in my experience but maybe I have something to learn there.

I first came to Thailand because it was the easiest place to take a long vacation as I had a friend that was doing business there and she invited me along for 5 weeks in Thailand and 1 week in Japan. It was really serendipity that I came to Thailand, I had not known much about it. She has a lot of Thai friends and was contracting work in one of the villages so I thought it a good opp to really see the native Thailand. And it did work out that way, but she hooked up with a Thai BF after the first 3 weeks, so I decided I needed to get a Thai GF just so I wasn't the odd man out.

We went fishing in Hua Hin, and while there I went to a bar and liked one of the bargirls that I played pool with. She wanted to come back with me to BKK, so ok, no problem, she stayed with me for a couple of weeks. I did the village trip with her to Buriram; mostly I wanted to visit a real Isaan farming village to see what it was like.

But when I came back the second time, I told the bargirl that I had found a regular GF, she was pissed but what can she do about it? She was expecting I was going to spend my month with her. I doubted it would have worked out in the long run, IMO we didn't have much in common.

After I came back the second time I got attached to a thai/Chinese women that works in her father's business. She doesn't know anything about the wild side of Bangkok.I have been back 3 times for 4 months in the last 18 months, and we only spend time outside of any farang tourist areas. So I am curious about the farang sex spots. It's rare that I see a farang in most of the places I am going, and I see no bargirl types.

I get immersed in their culture, but I am not trying to, it is just the situation. I did spend a few hours in a Thai bar in BKK on my first visit, just a lot of young people listing to really loud music. One of my Thai friends is a guitar player in a band, very much an amateur band; he is the BF of my farang lady friend. Just a lot of 20 something Thais out to listen to music and drink a little beer, not a sex trade type of place.

So I was wondering what I am missing out on when men talk about the P4P ladies. Is it really a good time going from women to women, do you have to watch your back, can you trust them, does it make a difference to your contentment if you can't trust them? I am sure it is fun at first, but how soon does it take to get old?

I was wondering should I break up with my Thai GF and go for the wild side, or is that just chasing a dream that isn't that great once you get it?

What I see is lots of men start out in the P4P group, then eventually have only 1 girl. A few never leave the P4P scene and appear happy, many look for a nice thai girl, whatever nice means, I don't know, many get married, some leave and go back home. Thus my question is screwing around on a constant basis making for a happy life?

Do you play cricket here in Thailand?

Andrew! This thread has become something of a disaster area.

I actually play for KL CC because that is where my Dad still plays and where I first played grade and outside of Thailand is the only place to play decent cricket.

There is a decent league here in BKK but it's a bit of a hackers graveyard and the pitches and the admin are a joke.

The best "pitch" at the RBSC is like a mat.

PM me if you want to play some real cricket in Malaysia or Singapore.

Elastration, and you'll never worry about it again

SC

as if I wanted to be happy....

In the words of Ivor Cutler sung:

"I'm happy, I'm happy, I'm happy, I'm happy

And I'll punch the man who says I'm not"

Edited by StreetCowboy