Thai Law And Internet Telephony

Guest DragonStar

Guest DragonStar

Some says that e.g. Skype is illegal in Thailand, but I see many public advertisements - including some from well-esteemed companies - taking advantage of the popularity of Skype.

Anyone, who knows where to find indepth info about Thai laws and regulation with respect to the various variations of Internet Telephony (Skype, clones, VoIP)?

Needless to say that there are a couple of powerful companies that don't like this modern phenomenon at all.

DragonStar

I think they are right.

Under the current laws, dating back to the 1950's when we did not really have

computers, let alone the internet, TOT has a monopoly on all communications...........

The government is supposed to be remedying this, but has not done much

about it yet.

Guest DragonStar

Thanks. The case Story is quite informative and an excellent primer. However, one must inevitably ask, - What happened next? (after year 2000).

DragonStar

The government is supposed to be remedying this, but has not done much about it yet.

I doubt that the government will be doing any remedying any time soon. I honestly think that as with many other things in Thailand, the powers-that-be prefer keeping stuff like this technically illegal. Doing so reserves the right and gives the authorities the excuse to have a good ol' fashioned Thai crackdown at any time that one is deemed appropriate. :o