Places To Advertise Tutoring Services In Cm

cloud96

Hi All,

I've recently moved back to Thailand after about a year in Mae Sot, now I'm in Chiang Mai. I'd like to do some tutoring but am at a bit of a loss as far as advertising strategy. I'd like to target three types of people in Chiang Mai, in the following order:

- Farang (or Thai) parents with kids who'd like private tutoring in engineering and technical areas (Math, Physics, various engineering, computer and electronics topics)

- Thai professionals with some English looking to expand their vocabulary in the business and engineering realms.

- General English tutoring for Thai students

Besides Thaivisa classifieds, do you all have any suggestions on where I might post ads? I'm thinking physical locations as well as online. It has occurred to me to take a trip down to the universities, schools, etc, but I'm not certain which building would be best suited for this or which areas even allow advertising at all.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Where have you found tutoring services for technical subjects?

-Josh

You might start by mentioning your qualifications.

I don't see how that has much bearing on where to post ads, but BS EE cum laude, some grad work in Ocean engineering, all the associated courses. Also a few years experience in teaching related positions, including math tutor, physics tutor, assistant engineering teacher, fluent native English speaker, etc.

Oh and I have a CELTA from ECC Khao Sarn Road plus my mom says I am a really good teacher. I have other references, and I know the difference between there, they're and their. ;)

Would you like me to PM my resume?

You might start by mentioning your qualifications.

I don't see how that has much bearing on where to post ads, but BS EE cum laude, some grad work in Ocean engineering, all the associated courses. Also a few years experience in teaching related positions, including math tutor, physics tutor, assistant engineering teacher, fluent native English speaker, etc.

Oh and I have a CELTA from ECC Khao Sarn Road plus my mom says I am a really good teacher. I have other references, and I know the difference between there, they're and their. ;)

Would you like me to PM my resume?

Sorry, I'm not looking for a tutor. I only asked about qualifications because Thailand has many foreigners who insist "we don't need no stinkin' degree" to teach.

Are you only interested in private tutoring work or are you open to working for a school? Private tutoring can be a difficult field to break into, especially if you're new in Chiang Mai. The money for tutors almost always comes from the parents, and parents are reluctant to hand over their money and their child to a stranger with no local references or school affiliation.

International schools prefer people with teaching degrees or some kind of certificate beyond CELTA, but they might hire you if they need a math or physics teacher who actually understands math and physics. If you're interested in that kind of job it wouldn't hurt to make some phone calls or show up with a resume.

It also doesn't hurt to post ads in ThaiVisa, City Life, Chiang Mai Mail, etc., but don't expect a flood of replies. You can also do an internet search, send out e-mails, or visit the private English Language schools with resume in hand--many of these small schools are open-minded about expanding into any area of teaching that makes money. However in my opinion you are more likely to find a job by networking through friends than by posting ads or firing off resumes.

I know CMU has Engineering as an international program. It's mostly Thai kids who can't speak English very well at all. With your background you would be perfect helping those kids get through the course. On the other side of town is Payap University where there are kids who might need help with their math skills to get through some of the courses over there. They have advanced math courses to support their international degree programs such as calculus I and II and discrete math (I have no idea what that last one is but it sounds hard). Posting on their builliton boards might yield some results. If you like, I can show you where to post at Payap. I am there most of the time.

Edited by richard10365

Yes, tutoring the kids at CMU or Payap in engineering and math is more what I'm looking for. Where would I post ads or what building would you suggest I go to in order to talk to someone about that?

My guess is that most of the English teachers in the area are more plugged in, have a better looking resume, etc. than me and I'm not really looking to compete with them. Yes, I could probably learn more about teaching and even English in general. My focus right now, which I'm open to shifting, would be to find students or adults with at least some English and are looking to improve technical skills and conversational and writing ability in the business and technical realms. I can't imagine there are too many Farangs out there doing that. I just wonder how much of a demand there is. I don't have a degree in Education but I've studied the process of learning and have resources on that subject. I'll let the results be the main indicator of professionalism, I don't have any other choice.

I'm not so new to CM (back after a hiatus), but admit I don't know too many parents who have cash to dish out for a private tutor (think 6k baht/month wages). I'm definitely more inclined to tutor than teach, that said if a teaching offer fell into my lap I would strongly consider it. I love the Thai people but I loathe having a Thai boss. I'm sure everyone is different but I wouldn't wish that experience on my worst enemy. I prefer to make my own hours and have other ventures I'm working on so I need to devote time to those as well.

If you have any other suggestions especially on networking or adults to target I would be very much appreciative. I remember reading something about an animation lab that was going to open up last year (like the Thai version of Pixar). Do any of you know anything about that? I wonder if they might need help to liaise with their Hollywood counterparts?

Yes, tutoring the kids at CMU or Payap in engineering and math is more what I'm looking for. Where would I post ads or what building would you suggest I go to in order to talk to someone about that?

My guess is that most of the English teachers in the area are more plugged in, have a better looking resume, etc. than me and I'm not really looking to compete with them. Yes, I could probably learn more about teaching and even English in general. My focus right now, which I'm open to shifting, would be to find students or adults with at least some English and are looking to improve technical skills and conversational and writing ability in the business and technical realms. I can't imagine there are too many Farangs out there doing that. I just wonder how much of a demand there is. I don't have a degree in Education but I've studied the process of learning and have resources on that subject. I'll let the results be the main indicator of professionalism, I don't have any other choice.

I'm not so new to CM (back after a hiatus), but admit I don't know too many parents who have cash to dish out for a private tutor (think 6k baht/month wages). I'm definitely more inclined to tutor than teach, that said if a teaching offer fell into my lap I would strongly consider it. I love the Thai people but I loathe having a Thai boss. I'm sure everyone is different but I wouldn't wish that experience on my worst enemy. I prefer to make my own hours and have other ventures I'm working on so I need to devote time to those as well.

If you have any other suggestions especially on networking or adults to target I would be very much appreciative. I remember reading something about an animation lab that was going to open up last year (like the Thai version of Pixar). Do any of you know anything about that? I wonder if they might need help to liaise with their Hollywood counterparts?

Do you have a WP for private tutoring? :rolleyes:

I sent you a PM on where to post.

I think CNX-Wood starting building this month. It's scheduled to be complete in 4 years.