Nokia N900 + Eeepc Combo

jpinx

As suggested to post here -- here's my current issue :whistling:

Equipment is:

eeepc 901HA - (the one with a whirlydrive) running XP Home (in Spanish - preinstalled, so no chance to change language) and debian squeeze (stable) as dual-boot.

Nokia N900 - running Maemo

Connection - Nokia USB cable with OVI PC suite installed in XP Home

Current working - I run XP on the eeepc and can plug in the N900 and connect to internet by using OVI and Dtac 2.5gprs. Slow but manageable. I am out past Paknam so no chance of 3G (it's on 850 anyway which I believe the N900 doesn't do)

Issue - I want to get debian working online through the n900 in a similar way to how XP is doing, but it is catch-22. I need debian to be online to get it to work, but i can't get there.

Ultimately I would like to have the options of bluetooth instead of cable connection and wifi when available through the n900. This means the N900 can standalone when I am out and about, or I can use the comparatively more comfortable kbd/screen of the eeepc when in my room.

Any/all suggestions appreciated :jap:

Edited by jpinx

Do you have access to an internet shop? Go ahead and install wvdial; works well enough with s60 Nokia. Failing that, go online with Windows and download the packages I have listed; reboot into Debian and install them. I don't use it, but supposedly the Gnome connection manager makes it pretty trivial to set up bluetooth WWAN connections.

Needed files to get wvdial up and running (I'd put them into a folder in your C:\ drive):

wvdial

debconf

libc6

libuniconf

libunwind

libwvstreams

libwvsteams-extra

ppp

After rebooting into Debian, open up a terminal, navigate to the folder you saved them, and go ahead and

dpkg -i *.deb

You'll probably need your installation medium in at the same time(?). After that, as su, do a

wvdialconf

it should set up everything for you with the exception of the phone number and log in information. Phone number is *99# and username/password can be anything you want. A quick, as su,

gedit /etc/wavedial.conf

will let you get in there to edit the config file.

Obviously then entering, as su,

wvdial

will spit a lot of information back at you and should eventually get you connected (you'll know after you get assigned an IP). You can then go ahead and get more elegant packages for the same job.

Edited by dave_boo

Hi,

I use Joikuspot, which turns my s60 (5800) nokia into a wireless hot spot, and use that with my asus eee pc1000he.

I log into my provider on the phone, and run Joikuspot, then log in to the wireless hot spot on the phone from my asus.

Does debian have drivers for the wireless card in the asus ??

If so, this may solve your problem.

Regards

i use bluetooth to tether my laptop to my nokia e71 (at least i did until i lost my phone in hgk last week sad.gif ) following the instructions here - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth_GPRS_Howto

you should be able to download all the packages in windows, copy them over and install using dpkg. the only hiccup i had was that my phone liked to change channels occasionally causing me to have to edit the config file, but apparently if you use network manager it is much simpler, i hate network manager and use wicd instead.

k

Hi,

I use Joikuspot, which turns my s60 (5800) nokia into a wireless hot spot, and use that with my asus eee pc1000he.

I log into my provider on the phone, and run Joikuspot, then log in to the wireless hot spot on the phone from my asus.

Does debian have drivers for the wireless card in the asus ??

If so, this may solve your problem.

Regards

Thanks, but the mobilehotspot for the n900 requires a custom kernel which is not as stable -- and I really can't risk that. B)

i use bluetooth to tether my laptop to my nokia e71 (at least i did until i lost my phone in hgk last week sad.gif ) following the instructions here - https://wiki.archlin...ooth_GPRS_Howto

you should be able to download all the packages in windows, copy them over and install using dpkg. the only hiccup i had was that my phone liked to change channels occasionally causing me to have to edit the config file, but apparently if you use network manager it is much simpler, i hate network manager and use wicd instead.

k

Thanks

Bluetooth seems to be unsupported in XP home, so I can not use that for now. I hope Debian will be able to work it in the eeepc. It comes up in the N900 okay, but nothing to connect to yet :)

i use bluetooth to tether my laptop to my nokia e71 (at least i did until i lost my phone in hgk last week sad.gif ) following the instructions here - https://wiki.archlin...ooth_GPRS_Howto

k

Thanks

Bluetooth seems to be unsupported in XP home, so I can not use that for now. I hope Debian will be able to work it in the eeepc. It comes up in the N900 okay, but nothing to connect to yet :)

huh? why do you need bluetooth for XP, I thought you already had a solution there? if you use your wind0ze connection to download the packages from debian, copy the files somehow (either directly or with a usb stick or something) to the debian partition and install using dpkg, you should be able to get it working. maybe i wasn't clear enough, but your response has me totally confused blink.gif

on another note i am curious to know what you think of the phone and maemo, i am currently waiting for the N9 release to become available with meego, but that should probably be another thread.

k

huh? why do you need bluetooth for XP, I thought you already had a solution there? if you use your wind0ze connection to download the packages from debian, copy the files somehow (either directly or with a usb stick or something) to the debian partition and install using dpkg, you should be able to get it working. maybe i wasn't clear enough, but your response has me totally confused blink.gif

on another note i am curious to know what you think of the phone and maemo, i am currently waiting for the N9 release to become available with meego, but that should probably be another thread.

k

OK -- I will try to get all the packages to run bluetooth in Debian rather than XP and see if that might work.

The list of packages and their dependencies is rather long :unsure:

I am not sure if this is what I want, as I was used to logging into the N900 by ssh over the USB cable, but ssh in the latest Debian seems to not want to play nicely.:angry:

Is it possible to ssh over bluetooth? That might be quite cool :jap:

On your "aside" --- maemo is based on debian and carries a lot of that mentality, but there were some serious errors made when they incorporated it into a phone. There is a very active group doing all kinds of stuff in the maemo forum/wiki/irc You might enjoy the dry humour too :D Meego and maemo are quite different and different groups support each, so watch your os-politics B)