Better Mileage From Gasohol 95 Than 91 ?

wana

is it my imagination or does gasohol 95 last longer than 91 ?

i ran only gasohol 91 for for the first few weeks then i started experimenting with gasohol 95 and premium fuels and good old benzine :)

i avoid ptt like the plague because a few of my neighbours said they mix E20 in the Gasohol 91 pump and the bikes all feel underpowered on ptt gasohol ,i try to only use shell fuels normally or esso /caltex when

im not near a shell garage

the best performance (accelertion speed ) i tried was caltex techron gold benzene 95 or something like that but at 51 thb a litre

its too expensive for a marginal increase in acceleration

the best compromise for me so far is shell gasohol 95 at about 37 thb a litre

decent power and doesnt seem to disappear as fast as the gasohol 91 thats recommended in owners manual

anyone else noticed anything weird about thai petrol ?

Regular gasoline and E10 or E20 Gasohol burn different, and if your fueling is perfectly set to one of the fuels you not get a perfect combustion.

Actual a fuel which holds more Ethanol should burn much more rapid, and therefore an engine tuned for burning Ethanol fuels should produce much better mileage... But that is all pure theoretical … current fuel-injection systems still seem to have problems detecting the ethanol percentage before ignition and fueling... Only one motorcycle in the world, developed with cooperation between Honda Thailand and Brazil (the Honda Titan 150) is actually capable to determine the amount of Ethanol in the fuel before the fueling happens.

With this Honda is years ahead of the competition, and we probably can expect Honda two-wheelers in Thailand having this technology.

Still back to the good old carburetor, if you currently prefer to fuel your motorcycle with a E10 fuel, it's maybe worth to get into a bit of carburetor tuning. You can easily tune your carburetor to one fuel and beat even the most advanced fuel-injection system on mileage.... A fuel-injection only works better if you uses different fuels and different conditions.... (Thailand is 92% always the same environmental condition... we not have cold weather...)

most of our bikes are small and modern with carb ,recommended to burn gasohol 91 in most of the owners manuals ,i havent done any scientific enough tests to reach a conclusion but they feel more lively ,start easier in the mornings when using a proper brand over PTT gasohol 91 ,the stuff seems to piss poor in performance and milage

the caltex techron 95 felt like rocket fuel compared to it but its nearly 40% more expensive so shell 95 economy seems to be the best all rounder

why could there not just be petrol or diesel anymore to keep things nice n simple :)

Don't know if I'm supposed to start a new topic or not ? Anyways, related to your post. I have a Suzuki Hayati 125. The fuel cap says 91, so that's what I have been using. Will I get better power if I use 95 ? and ... is it ok or will the bike self destruct ?

definately wont self destruct your bike ,all my bikes are suggested to be run on gasohol 91 ,but i think 95 is bit longer lasting between fill ups

any new engine that can run on gasohol 91 will run just as well or sometimes better on 95 ( they are both E10 fuels ,only differnce is octane content )

some engines can even run on the E20 fuel which is a fair bit cheaper but im not sure about the new suzukis so someone else will know if it can drink E20 or not

definately wont self destruct your bike ,all my bikes are suggested to be run on gasohol 91 ,but i think 95 is bit longer lasting between fill ups

any new engine that can run on gasohol 91 will run just as well or sometimes better on 95 ( they are both E10 fuels ,only differnce is octane content )

some engines can even run on the E20 fuel which is a fair bit cheaper but im not sure about the new suzukis so someone else will know if it can drink E20 or not

OK, Thanks for the info. Will try 95 on my next fill up and see if I get a power increase.

I've been using PTT gasohol both on my old Click and now PCX, no problems... from checks I did found 10% more mileage.... I was using the 95 version, but just trying the 91 version, (first tank) which is cheaper, but I would say that there is a slight drop in power... I'll check MPG on next fill up.

I had a really bad experience in Canada using Chevron with "Techron" , it really buggered up my truck engine... so avoid that like the plague.

Same here, I always get benzine 91...its more expensive but the BTU's are higher than gasohol, so the power delivered is actually better and more economical than gasohol in the end.

the problem is benzine pumps are disapearing ,and the shops that do still have it must know this because prices have jumped up to 45-51 thb per litre around bkk

ptt gasohol 91 starts around 33 thb odd a litre but i would pay a couple of baht more and use shell.esso or caltex

theres a rough looking petrol station called "sunny " on Pracha Songkro,Din Daeng still selling benzine but i dont like buying gas from a company i never heard off

and this being thailand i wouldnt be a bit surprised if they just changed the sticker to "benzine" on one of the gasohol pumps :rolleyes:

benzine 91 is 41-43 baht in CNX

its a bit dearer in bkk if u can even find it thesedays :( ,seems to be drying up more and more but i dont see how they can just end the sales of it

when theres millions of old bikes,cars and machines that wont run on gasohol because the ethanol wil eat the fuel lines

Our small village has only regular 91 benzine available. I think the cost is about 43 baht per liter.

A larger village, about 6 kilometers away recently added a gasohol 95 pump. No gasohol 91 pump. I used to by 6 liters of 91 gasohol in a plastic oil bottle in the nearest city and take it home.

I have used all three in my Yamaha Elegance. I don't check the fuel economy closely but the scooter seems to do better than 40 kilometers per liter on any mixture. Since gasohol 95 is now easily available, that's what I use and the scooter seems quite happy with it.

As long as my Elegance will leave my friend's PCX in the dust, that's enough power for me. B)

38baht, at Esso last Saturday... Was surprised when the attendant told me how much I owed her after getting a full tank. Bike runs better on something other than PTT (it feels heavy) but it definitely runs great on PURE.

I remember the first time I had the bike refueled in a PURE station, the fat gas attendant gave me a toothless grin and told me in Thai that my bike was going to run like a rocket. I dismissed it as smalltalk, but was amazed at the "pull" when I left the station.

Edited by RED21

38baht, at Esso last Saturday... Was surprised when the attendant told me how much I owed her after getting a full tank. Bike runs better on something other than PTT (it feels heavy) but it definitely runs great on PURE.

I remember the first time I had the bike refueled in a PURE station, the fat gas attendant gave me a toothless grin and told me in Thai that my bike was going to run like a rocket. I dismissed it as smalltalk, but was amazed at the "pull" when I left the station.

Is this at an Esso in CM? If so, which one? Would be good to know. Can't say I've noticed any of the pure stations before to be honest.

I've tried the gasohol in the scooter and it just seems to burn a hell of a lot quicker with no particular gains, certainly not in milage, if anything that drops a bit. It's also a pig to start with gasohol as well I find. It should be ok as it's a brand new (almost) fino.

Is this at an Esso in CM? If so, which one? Would be good to know. Can't say I've noticed any of the pure stations before to be honest.

I've tried the gasohol in the scooter and it just seems to burn a hell of a lot quicker with no particular gains, certainly not in milage, if anything that drops a bit. It's also a pig to start with gasohol as well I find. It should be ok as it's a brand new (almost) fino.

It was the one past Bo Sang going into San Kamphaeng... I assumed the price would be standard on all branches, aren't they?

Wonder if they remove the tax on 91, 95 and diesel like they have said, but not on the gasahol 91, 95, or E20 and E85 how that will change things in the LOS

Different government, different people benefit from different kinds of fuels sold?!

Anyway there's talk about removing the 6 Baht (?) tax on gasoline. Add to that the fact that the oil price is down and the baht is up - it should get cheaper.

Interesting topic, I'll avoid PPT henceforth. I do think I get worse mileage on Gasohol 91... my wife claims that Shell V-Power diesel makes the truck go faster, and I am inclined to believe that, it seemed to pull a bit more. It didn't turn into a Porsche but there's more pep to it...

Wonder if they remove the tax on 91, 95 and diesel like they have said, but not on the gasahol 91, 95, or E20 and E85 how that will change things in the LOS

Different government, different people benefit from different kinds of fuels sold?!

Anyway there's talk about removing the 6 Baht (?) tax on gasoline. Add to that the fact that the oil price is down and the baht is up - it should get cheaper.

Interesting topic, I'll avoid PPT henceforth. I do think I get worse mileage on Gasohol 91... my wife claims that Shell V-Power diesel makes the truck go faster, and I am inclined to believe that, it seemed to pull a bit more. It didn't turn into a Porsche but there's more pep to it...

I wonder if some of you guys have been here too long ? Like I have stated, I have just retired from a 30 year City job recently in the US and I can assure you if your complaining about a 6 Baht tax on fuels you've been here too long. The fuel Taxes, at least in the US, are just about as much as the fuel. State, Local, Federal, Fuel station owner, EPA, PETA, NSA and it goes on and on .......

I wonder if some of you guys have been here too long ? Like I have stated, I have just retired from a 30 year City job recently in the US and I can assure you if your complaining about a 6 Baht tax on fuels you've been here too long. The fuel Taxes, at least in the US, are just about as much as the fuel. State, Local, Federal, Fuel station owner, EPA, PETA, NSA and it goes on and on .......

The NSA is imposing a fuel tax??? I come from Europe, in my home country we pay EUR 1.3, or 56 baht / liter 91.

FTR I wasn't complaining about the fuel tax (which is some sort of hedge against rising oil prices, really, although this being Thailand, somebody is gonna make some money off of it). The gasohol thing when it was introduced was most certainly some sort of scam to line somebody's pockets though, so changes in policy that happen now with a different government are no coincidence.

Anyway am actually more interested in the topic = better mileage or not. And why would V-power actually have better performance in a diesel truck? I always thought it was more of a feel-good sales thing but maybe there is something to it?

here too long ? check out these pictures taken in 2009 ,its waaaay more expensive now to fill up than it was just 24 months ago

DSC07565.jpg

DSC06584.jpg

Edited by wana

It was the one past Bo Sang going into San Kamphaeng... I assumed the price would be standard on all branches, aren't they?

To be fair I'm not 100% sure if they are or not which is why I asked. I'll have a run down that way next time I need to fill up, it's about the same as the Caltex one I would usually use on the 118 going into town just before the first ring road.

Interesting comments about the PTT stations though. I always thought they were fine.