Power Cut!...Uninterrupted Power Supply

MaiDong

I'm looking at getting an Uninterrupted Power Supply(UPS) for my home office, I would like to get a UPS so I can either close down in my own time or carry on working for a little while during the occasional power cuts we get in the wet season(AND to help prevent surges etc), perhaps even have the fan still working!? But would the phone line still work so that my internet would still be usable? I'v read that the phone line is powered from the 'local phone office' and surely they wouldn't lose power too...

I'd need a UPS with a minimum of 5 ports, unless I could use an extension(foolish?), you can see I don't know anything about this :passifier:

Any recommendations? I'm putting an order in on a few other things from InvadeIT so I could include it in this order if they stock the suitable UPS for me...

Yes the phone line still works. But you will have to run your router from the UPS to maintain an internet connection.

Many UPS have phone connectors to help prevent voltage spikes on the phone line from damaging your computer.

I would also recommend that you get a UPS that has a USB interface so that you computer can monitor the battery and hibernate so you don't lose any data while you continue to work.

Hello MaiDong :)

I have a look at those things everytime i am strolling around in a shopping center that sell them (just to see if technology has improved), i noticed that the energy supply doesn't last long, i mean, 30 minutes and in some cases even 15 minutes, so, check carefully for how long they suppose to work when in use.

I also believe they are being made to supply energy to a single computer, so, adding more machines might reduce drastically the time advertised....

Have you considered using some heavy batteries (like those used inside cars/lorries) connected to an inverter(DC/AC)?

Or if you have the right environment you might want to purchase a small power's generator, i was thinking about buying one of those too, still looking into it though :lol:

I have a look at those things everytime i am strolling around in a shopping center that sell them (just to see if technology has improved), i noticed that the energy supply doesn't last long, i mean, 30 minutes and in some cases even 15 minutes, so, check carefully for how long they suppose to work when in use.

I also believe they are being made to supply energy to a single computer, so, adding more machines might reduce drastically the time advertised....

Have you considered using some heavy batteries (like those used inside cars/lorries) connected to an inverter(DC/AC)?

Or if you have the right environment you might want to purchase a small power's generator, i was thinking about buying one of those too, still looking into it though :lol:

You are correct about the short time limit on a UPS. I typically get about 8 minutes although the spec is 15 minutes.

The problem with the DC/AC converter solution, it doesn't automatically switch. You would lose data and there is no voltage spike protection.

Another alternative would be to use a UPS, but instead of using the smaller battery in the UPS connect the battery leads to a larger external battery.

First you need to decide what devices you need to keep powered, and then add up the total load (should be from the name plate)

If you are running a desktop, you obviously ned your computer, monitor, Router for Internet connection, but yiou could do without printers, and other accessories.

You can usually plug a standard extension socket in the back to power mpre devices, but the heavier the load the less time the battery will last

Typically UPS units are rated at x watts for y Minutes so if it says 400W for 20 minutes then if your load is 200Wats you should get 40 minutes, but iif it is 800 watts you will get only 10 minutes or less, (assuming the electronics can support that load.

Remember the backup time is all ways best case (very optimistic) and as the battery ages etc the time will reduce.

As a previous poster said get one wit a USB interface that will automatically shut down your PC should you be out fo the office when the power shuts down (Normal case)

Nearly all UPS units have telephone suppressors for protecting your modem/ router from surges on the telephone line which is not a bad idea.

Other than the above and choosing a reputable make (e.g APC) there is not a lot of difference although some offer fancy software for monitoring the status of the UPS in fancy charts etc which are great gimmicks for the first 15 minutes and are just a waste of CPU after that!

I have had a few cheap ones and they are simply not up to the task even on my missus PC which is very basic, I purchased a Powercom IMD-1500AP for my main PC and it has been superb, its rated at 1500VA/900W and keeps me going for about 20 minutes, the interface for monitoring and shutdown is very informative and all events are logged.

A number of manufacturers both expensive (APC) and cheap (some Chinese outfit) do UPS systems with external batteries, choose your own runtime.

We've got a 4000 Baht Chinese unit running the fish tanks and TV along with a couple of lights, good for 3-4 hours on 4 x 40AHr sealed lead-acid batteries.

I've used UPS systems for years and would not dream of plugging an expensive computer straight into the wall socket. Think one good UPS unit for one computer and have the modern and router also on that UPS if practical (or on its own UPS). Forget those claims of 40 minutes or even 15 minutes uptime -- your best bet is to close files, shut down applications and power that sucker down.

You are correct about the short time limit on a UPS. I typically get about 8 minutes although the spec is 15 minutes.

The problem with the DC/AC converter solution, it doesn't automatically switch. You would lose data and there is no voltage spike protection.

Another alternative would be to use a UPS, but instead of using the smaller battery in the UPS connect the battery leads to a larger external battery.

A much higher capacity battery might overload the charging circuit in a small UPS, if not damage it. While it will keep the UPS running longer when AC goes away, it might take forever (unless recharged in the car or put on a car charger) to recharge. The battery in the UPS is a gel cell, the car battery is usually a wet cell and acid can get loose around the battery. A car gel cell battery would be better, but much more expensive choice.

Yes the phone line still works. But you will have to run your router from the UPS to maintain an internet connection.

Many UPS have phone connectors to help prevent voltage spikes on the phone line from damaging your computer.

I would also recommend that you get a UPS that has a USB interface so that you computer can monitor the battery and hibernate so you don't lose any data while you continue to work.

Thanks for your reply, yes that's a good idea, I saw a few disappointed people who previously bought a UPS without USB support and they were not onlt short of info on the outages/spikes etc but they also got deafened by the alarms :P

Hi Surayu! Thanks for your reply, I've often thought about a generator but it's totally impractical for where I live, as someone else has pointed out - DC/AC power isn't a bad idea but doesn't offer the surge/spike/alarm that a UPS would, nice idea though :)

That's a good idea, it would be a bit messy looking and I'm not sure about it being covered in the warranty but I could have a HUGE battery(a car battery?) going through the UPS, would that work?

First you need to decide what devices you need to keep powered, and then add up the total load (should be from the name plate)

If you are running a desktop, you obviously ned your computer, monitor, Router for Internet connection, but yiou could do without printers, and other accessories.

You can usually plug a standard extension socket in the back to power mpre devices, but the heavier the load the less time the battery will last

Typically UPS units are rated at x watts for y Minutes so if it says 400W for 20 minutes then if your load is 200Wats you should get 40 minutes, but iif it is 800 watts you will get only 10 minutes or less, (assuming the electronics can support that load.

Remember the backup time is all ways best case (very optimistic) and as the battery ages etc the time will reduce.

As a previous poster said get one wit a USB interface that will automatically shut down your PC should you be out fo the office when the power shuts down (Normal case)

Nearly all UPS units have telephone suppressors for protecting your modem/ router from surges on the telephone line which is not a bad idea.

Other than the above and choosing a reputable make (e.g APC) there is not a lot of difference although some offer fancy software for monitoring the status of the UPS in fancy charts etc which are great gimmicks for the first 15 minutes and are just a waste of CPU after that!

I'm awaiting delivery of a minor component for my PC so when that arrives I can shut down and get round the back of my desk & case, I'll work out my Watt usage and see what I need to get, thanks for the tips :)

I have had a few cheap ones and they are simply not up to the task even on my missus PC which is very basic, I purchased a Powercom IMD-1500AP for my main PC and it has been superb, its rated at 1500VA/900W and keeps me going for about 20 minutes, the interface for monitoring and shutdown is very informative and all events are logged.

Thanks for your reply Spoonman, how much did you pay for this? I've found it for about B8600 but that was on a UK based website, have you ever had APC to compare?

I've used UPS systems for years and would not dream of plugging an expensive computer straight into the wall socket. Think one good UPS unit for one computer and have the modern and router also on that UPS if practical (or on its own UPS). Forget those claims of 40 minutes or even 15 minutes uptime -- your best bet is to close files, shut down applications and power that sucker down.

NOT what I wanted to hear! I want POWER!! :D

I don't really want to spend too much on a UPS, so I suppose I'll have to take your advice to shut down asap, I'll just go with one of these I think APC BE500R-AS

Thanks for your reply Spoonman, how much did you pay for this? I've found it for about B8600 but that was on a UK based website, have you ever had APC to compare?

Shop4Thai shows a 1500 VA for 15,000 Baht. :whistling:APC 1500 VA at same store at a little over 14,000 Baht. Shopping around locally will probably find better prices but not by a large amount.

My first UPS I bought was a Powercom several years ago as I couldn't afford APC (quite expensive then). It's been operating for 7-8 years and had to replace the battery at 5 years. I have an APC (my 1st choice and what I get for the university laboratory) on my workstation and the Powercom went to my media center computer.

If your area is subjected to frequent brown-outs your ups may be destroyed/worthless as discussed on another thread.

Not frequent, I just want to be careful though :)

In fact, power cuts are quite rare where I live, and so are those light dims[?] but I'd just like to be careful, if I can afford to be.

I've used a UK purchased surge protector for the last 6 years on my previous computers but now I've got so many things plugged in - I'm using 12 plugs at the moment! - that the surge protector is in need of assistance!

Shop4Thai shows a 1500 VA for 15,000 Baht. :whistling:APC 1500 VA at same store at a little over 14,000 Baht. Shopping around locally will probably find better prices but not by a large amount.

My first UPS I bought was a Powercom several years ago as I couldn't afford APC (quite expensive then). It's been operating for 7-8 years and had to replace the battery at 5 years. I have an APC (my 1st choice and what I get for the university laboratory) on my workstation and the Powercom went to my media center computer.

Surprise, surprise, identical products at hugely inflated prices compared to other countries...

That's much too expensive, even B8000 is too much. It's only a battery and a circuit, it seems a little over priced, doesn't it? I know we can discuss the possible money savings in the future but initially it's a lot of money to spend on a battery that may never get used :(

This is what I have at my office, APC 1500VA. Two servers running off it.

post-566-0-16856400-1313551476_thumb.jpg

I've seen that a lot of these units have female kettle sockets at the back, as opposed to 3-pin plug sockets, is this simply because it is assumed that only PC/server equipment will be used with them? If I was spending B14,000 on one of these I'd like to be able to continue working with a small lamp, a fan, plus of course my PC, what would I need to do to plug these in?

yeah was about that I think, 99% sure i did not pay over 9000b for it, there is a lot of stuff in my pc and it handles it withough issue, might add I use a 32" LCD TV to the equation not sure of total consumption for the lot though but my old 600w PSU could not handle it and lasted less than a minute when the power went out.

Your phone will still work as the power for it is provided over the line. THis only applies for a standard phone hich has a wire to the phone jack. If you have a fancier phone it will not work. It is always a good idea if you use a fancy or wireless phone to also have a standard phone plugged in for emergency use.,

This is what I have at my office, APC 1500VA. Two servers running off it.

post-566-0-16856400-1313551476_thumb.jpg

I've seen that a lot of these units have female kettle sockets at the back, as opposed to 3-pin plug sockets, is this simply because it is assumed that only PC/server equipment will be used with them? If I was spending B14,000 on one of these I'd like to be able to continue working with a small lamp, a fan, plus of course my PC, what would I need to do to plug these in?

My solution was to buy a monitor extension power cable; cut off the one end of the cable and attach a 3 pin multi-outlet strip available at most electric shops.

My first one was a small unit but it gave me plenty of time to shut down. It finally died so I bought a 1000 VA unit. I then decided to take the small one that died to my local computer shop. They looked at it and said the battery was six years old. They replaced the battery and it works fine again. I now use both of them. The monitor is plugged into the small one and the rest is plugged into the bigger one. I know I can keep using the computer for more than 30 minutes and if the power is not back on by then, I shut down.

The small one is a Socomet and the bigger one has two batteries and is an Ablerex. Both work fine. I did install the software for the Ablerex but it was a pain giving warnings so I took it back off.

Most computer UPS units will only handle power for 5 minutes or so.

If you want longer go and see an electrician and buy a larger unit.

I have one to keep my TV and satellite receiver going as we get long cuts where I live.

The UPS is rated at 800VA and has a 120Ah battery to support it.

It can keep running to 2-3 hours if necessary.