Which Durian do you prefer? Pick your favourite

Durian is a tropical fruit known for its large size, spiky outer shell, and pungent smell. It is native to Southeast Asia and is often referred to as the "king of fruits" due to its popularity in the region.

The flesh of the durian is soft, custard-like, and can vary in color from white or yellow to red or green, depending on the variety. The taste is often described as a mix of sweet, savory, and creamy flavors.

Durian is a controversial fruit, with some people loving its unique flavor and aroma, while others finding it repulsive. It is also known for its strong odor, which has led to it being banned in some public places.

If you're curious about durian, you can find it in many Southeast Asian countries, particularly in Malaysia, Indonesia, and Thailand. It's often eaten fresh, but can also be used in desserts, smoothies, and other dishes.

Which Durian is your favourite?

d1.jpeg

d9.jpeg

d8.jpeg

d7.jpeg

d6.jpeg

d5.jpeg

d4.jpeg

d3.jpeg

d2.jpeg

They are all the same to me as I do not find their smell offensive and to me they are all similar and just a poor substitutes for a good standard water melon!

PS; Yes I do have a sense of smell!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, george said:

Durian is a tropical fruit known for its large size, spiky outer shell, and pungent smell. It is native to Southeast Asia and is often referred to as the "king of fruits" due to its popularity in the region.

The flesh of the durian is soft, custard-like, and can vary in color from white or yellow to red or green, depending on the variety. The taste is often described as a mix of sweet, savory, and creamy flavors.

Durian is a controversial fruit, with some people loving its unique flavor and aroma, while others finding it repulsive. It is also known for its strong odor, which has led to it being banned in some public places.

If you're curious about durian, you can find it in many Southeast Asian countries, particularly in Malaysia, Indonesia, and Thailand. It's often eaten fresh, but can also be used in desserts, smoothies, and other dishes.

d1.jpeg

d9.jpeg

d8.jpeg

d7.jpeg

d6.jpeg

d5.jpeg

d4.jpeg

d3.jpeg

d2.jpeg

Over the years spent in South East Asia I have often tasted Durian. I have no problem with the taste or texture while actually eating but have problems coping  with the vomitous after taste and smell. Or should I say originally.

I was not aware there were so many "varieties" as illustrated above but there is one "hybrid" that has eliminated a large percentage of the  smell and after taste I  dislike. Problem is I have no idea  now of which one it is.

Having originally taste tested in Indonesia where Thai durian is considered primo compared to local product it took me a while to try fresh durian once ensconced in Thailand. Still not my first choice of something nature intended to be left to rot in order to  nurture it's seed !

Fully ripened  pineapple wins  for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

BS!

If you eat durian and take on alcohol at the same time you run a high risk of being poisoned by an increase in aldehyde.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I didn't even know there were various choices. Anyway my choice is the one that Madam Moon brings home and prepares and love it, which ever one it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Utalk2mutt said:

If you eat durian and take on alcohol at the same time you run a high risk of being poisoned by an increase in aldehyde.

As with many other foods!

An old Thai Granny's tale!

Read my link both above in an earlier post and below!

https://uncoverasia.com/durian-and-alcohol/!

PS'  Note For Advertisers!

It may not be worthwhile to advertise Durian for sale here on AN!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Thumbs Up 1

I’ve had a few different varieties of durian, the tastes range from sweet to gasoline-ish taste, all tolerable for me. Though the least favorite is phuang mani

Thanks for this info.

I never knew there were so many different varieties.

That would explain why I am not very partial to durian from around Kanchanaburi, where I am - but found durian that we bought on a trip to Koh Chang (around Chantaburi) to be delicious.

We have a rule. - no 'open' durian is to be had in any of our cars!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

There are hundreds of varieties.  Only a few are sold commercially.

Thai's like the fruit before it is fully ripened.  You'll find in other areas they let the fruit drop from the stem naturally instead of cutting it off a few weeks early.  It has more flavor then but the texture is more mushy.

I can eat durian and find the taste ok.  But for 4-6 hours afterwards it makes me keep burping and getting that smell in my mouth.  So I avoid eating it.  Besides there is cheaper fruit with better taste anyway.

Edited by rwill
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/18/2024 at 7:57 PM, george said:

d1.jpeg

d9.jpeg

d8.jpeg

d7.jpeg

d6.jpeg

d5.jpeg

d4.jpeg

d3.jpeg

d2.jpeg

Please do one like this for all the strains of cannabis in Thailand too so that everyone can also pick their favorite.