Power Cut!...Uninterrupted Power Supply

MaiDong

Something that most people don't think about is that most of today's modern TVs are really nothing more than dedicated computers. I have all my AV equipment, including the phone, plugged into a larger (1500VA) UPS.

Very true.:thumbsup:

I had to pay 5000 baht to have my 40" LED TV power supply replaced, after a power surge took it out.

This is what I have at my office, APC 1500VA. Two servers running off it.

post-566-0-16856400-1313551476_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure I'm a believer in fate, so I'll throw caution to the wind...I've never had a surge or spike damage my electronics after more than 10 years of living here, yes I've had a surge protector on my UK-bought extension socket but I haven't always used it...

I might have to invest in something like this just to be sure :rolleyes:

My solution was to buy a monitor extension power cable; cut off the one end of the cable and attach a 3 pin multi-outlet strip available at most electric shops.

:thumbsup: Same here.

I've changed a few plugs in my time, I've even done a little bit of soldering so I'd be confident of pulling this off...

None of the electrics in my home are earthed, is there an easy fix to solve that?

Most computer UPS units will only handle power for 5 minutes or so.

If you want longer go and see an electrician and buy a larger unit.

I have one to keep my TV and satellite receiver going as we get long cuts where I live.

The UPS is rated at 800VA and has a 120Ah battery to support it.

It can keep running to 2-3 hours if necessary.

What is the brand/model you have?

Tywais, is this a newer model of the UPS you have, Or are there differences? APC BR1500GI

The one on my servers is 2-3 years old but do see it for sale at buy.com (US company?). Thailand has a tendency to quickly stop stocking older models when new ones become more mainstream.

What is the brand/model you have?

I have a GXQ 2000W (4000W peak) UPS (made in China but ours has been reliable), cost about 4500 Baht without batteries. Add 12V batteries as needed to choose your runtime. This in not a neat boxed solution, you have to arrange battery stowage.

We get about 4 hours driving 800W or so of AV kit and fish tanks using 4 x 40AHr sealed lead-acid batteries.

NOTE. This unit charges at 20A so watch the maximum charge rate of the batteries you use.

I'll give you the configuration of my home computer and UPS to give you an idea what to expect. The snapshots below are of the monitoring software. The UPS I have is an APC 650VA which was fine before I rebuilt/upgraded my computer and is now marginal. As such, you can see a lot depends on your computer and peripherals that are on the UPS.

Attached to the UPS:

Computer with 3 hard drives, i7-2600K CPU, Asus Mainboard (Sandy Bridge), ATI Radeon 4890 Graphics card (that video upgrade added a lot to the load)

24" Dell U2410 monitor

Cisco/Linksys wireless modem/router.

Charger for my expensive smart phone - don't won't to blow it up. ;)

This may help you in determining the capacity of the UPS you need. In my case, at least 850-1000VA to give me a better margin during power failures.

post-566-0-58676300-1313576691_thumb.jpg

post-566-0-54299900-1313576699_thumb.jpg

Tywais, is this a newer model of the UPS you have, Or are there differences? APC BR1500GI

The one on my servers is 2-3 years old but do see it for sale at buy.com (US company?). Thailand has a tendency to quickly stop stocking older models when new ones become more mainstream.

Indeed they do, not only for UPS's either, I found that out when I went looking for my PC case, the previous blue LED'd version of the NOX case ceased to exist!

I'll give you the configuration of my home computer and UPS to give you an idea what to expect. The snapshots below are of the monitoring software. The UPS I have is an APC 650VA which was fine before I rebuilt/upgraded my computer and is now marginal. As such, you can see a lot depends on your computer and peripherals that are on the UPS.

Attached to the UPS:

Computer with 3 hard drives, i7-2600K CPU, Asus Mainboard (Sandy Bridge), ATI Radeon 4890 Graphics card (that video upgrade added a lot to the load)

24" Dell U2410 monitor

Cisco/Linksys wireless modem/router.

Charger for my expensive smart phone - don't won't to blow it up. ;)

This may help you in determining the capacity of the UPS you need. In my case, at least 850-1000VA to give me a better margin during power failures.

post-566-0-58676300-1313576691_thumb.jpg

post-566-0-54299900-1313576699_thumb.jpg

So with all your things plugged in you would get about 8 minutes with a APC 650VA unit. I've got a few less things(like no dedicated video card) so I get a rough idea of what I would need as a minimum, I would prefer to go a little bit overkill though, it's in my nature :)

This is what I have at my office, APC 1500VA. Two servers running off it.

post-566-0-16856400-1313551476_thumb.jpg

How long do you get out of that?

Around 40 minutes estimated, but never really had a chance to test it as either the power is a scheduled outage in which case I shut everything down or never long enough to see it run out. Here is a graph for this supply.

post-566-0-85922800-1313597803_thumb.jpg

This is the UPS we just got for a new 20 M baht research machine backup system. 15kVA and 2 batteries on board and an external 14 battery pack chassis. Suspect it could run a PC for a bit. ;) It's an on-line, true sine wave unit.

post-566-0-53844800-1313599015_thumb.jpg post-566-0-66755400-1313599022_thumb.jpg