Bus Bkk To Pattaya And The New Bts Extension

Sam Drucker

I've done the Ekkmai-Pattaya trip on bus numerous times, and know how long it took us (stuck in traffic) just to get out to the Bang Na expressway. So I'm wondering if I can avoid a lot of that wait in traffic by going to the new Bearing Station and getting a Pattaya bus there? Is it possible to board them there? Do you need to go to a special place, or just look for one and flag it on the street? And if you can find a bus there, do they typically have seats available? I assume everything you would be trying to catch is originating at Ekkamai?

And on the return to Bangkok, I assume it might be easier to get off at Bearing Station if you want to?

There are quite a few regional buses parked on the access road where you turn left from Sukhumvit to get onto Bang Na Trad road (directly opposite BiTEC). I go by here 3 or 4 times per week and have seen those blue/white (government?) buses labeled Pattaya, Rayong, etc. There are also private buses there. Not sure of the frequency, or where these originate, but you would pass here going from Ekkamai to Pattaya via Sukhumvit to Bang Na Trad Road. Maybe some stop but not all?

That said, it's not at all as convenient as Ekkamai if connecting via the BTS. From Udom Suk BTS station to this spot is nearly 1 Km so you'd have to take a motorcy. The Bang Na BTS station might appear to be closer but I'm not sure you could get there from here ;) ?

On the return you could get off at Udom Suk BTS station. Bearing BTS is several kilometers away so not an option.

Edited by lomatopo

The blue Pattaya bus out of Ekkamai stops at a bus station about 1-2 km down the highway and picks up passengers. The ticket window there is on the same system as Ekkamai so a seat is reserved.

I believe the station is marked "REUNG RHIAN", my spelling is probably way off.

The new BEARING BTS station is actually more than 1 km past the highway. UDOM SUK seems to be the closest stop. Bangkok bound buses now let passengers disembark there.

Edited by dddave

The blue Pattaya bus out of Ekkamai stops at a bus station about 1-2 km down the highway and picks up passengers. The ticket window there is on the same system as Ekkamai so a seat is reserved.

I believe the station is marked "REUNG RHIAN", my spelling is probably way off.

The new BEARING BTS station is actually more than 1 km past the highway. UDOM SUK seems to be the closest stop. Bangkok bound buses now let passengers disembark there.

This sounds like a good way to catch an earlier bus and get to Pattaya quicker.

Is there a fixed motorbike taxi fare from Udom Suk BTS to the new bus station?

Are ordinary taxis happy to do this short leg?

I have just thought of a problem with trying to get an earlier bus by going to the new bus station. I would think that you would only be able to book a seat on a bus that has not yet departed Ekamai as they generally always leave full (or have seats reserved already).

Therefore if you book a seat you will still have to wait 30 mins plus for your bus to depart Ekamai and get to the new bus station.

So maybe better to go to Ekamai after all?

I travel to BKK from Pattaya alot and find the easiest and least painful way is taking the BTS to Pyathai...then the new Airport Rail Link to Suvanabum and then the Rueng Rang bus to Pattaya...the bus is 124 baht...aiport rail link 45baht...no traffic and nice buses...about a 2hr trip. The airport bus to pattaya drops you in Jomtien where you can get a songtaew for 10-20 baht into Pattaya 2nd rd..The Ekamai trip is a root canal!!

Edited by ericg1953

I travel to BKK from Pattaya alot and find the easiest and least painful way is taking the BTS to Pyathai...then the new Airport Rail Link to Suvanabum and then the Rueng Rang bus to Pattaya...the bus is 124 baht...aiport rail link 45baht...no traffic and nice buses...about a 2hr trip. The airport bus to pattaya drops you in Jomtien where you can get a songtaew for 10-20 baht into Pattaya 2nd rd..The Ekamai trip is a root canal!!

Sounds an interesting way to do it!

How regular are the buses from the airport to Pattaya?

I assume that the 2 hours is for you total trip? A bus from the airport direct to Pattaya should be able to do it in just over an hour?

I have just thought of a problem with trying to get an earlier bus by going to the new bus station. I would think that you would only be able to book a seat on a bus that has not yet departed Ekamai as they generally always leave full (or have seats reserved already).

Therefore if you book a seat you will still have to wait 30 mins plus for your bus to depart Ekamai and get to the new bus station.

So maybe better to go to Ekamai after all?

You are correct, this can happen. I have sat there and watched several buses come and go before the one I was ticketed on. During busy periods, buses are often sold out 30 minutes or more before departing Ekkamai.

Haven't any of you lot heard of a 'taxi' they are normally cloured green and yellow. Look out for one near you soon!

I wouldn't be seen dead on a bus.

Can you read the title of the thread? It's about buses to Pattaya. Don't need your smart-aleck opinion about taxis, and don't care whether you're seen dead or alive in a bus. If you have something to add here that's on topic, fine. Otherwise, go away.

Haven't any of you lot heard of a 'taxi' they are normally cloured green and yellow. Look out for one near you soon!

I wouldn't be seen dead on a bus.

Can you read the title of the thread? It's about buses to Pattaya. Don't need your smart-aleck opinion about taxis, and don't care whether you're seen dead or alive in a bus. If you have something to add here that's on topic, fine. Otherwise, go away.

Blimey, you bite easy. Go and have a lie down :bah:

• 3 weeks later...

EricG1953, thanks for the good info. I've been wondering about a good way to get down to see some water and get away from the city for a break. Please pardon an off-topic question from a noob. Is the trip to Jomtiem a good jaunt for a weekend away from the city or is it too much traveling and hassle for just one or two nights?