Bacteria...?

ChrisP

Ok.. I've visited LOS many times over the past few years. Almost every time I seem to get sick in some way.. gyppy tummy several times, cold, cough etc... Nothing too serious, just annoying.

I have a theory that the normal bacteria present in everyday living, food, etc in LOS isn't the same bacteria that I'm used to (and therefore resistant to) in the USA. Maybe that's why my body is more succeptible.. ?

My friend (a chef) commented that I probably get "food-illness" from normally-present bacteria that Thai's are used to... (as opposed to the more serious "food-poisoning"...)

Any thoughts..?

ChrisP

Yes, that is correct. The bacteria-flavour is different and it takes month to get used to it.

Same in opposite direction ofcourse, if you bring your girl over.

Western over-use of anti-bacterial items and sprays will ofcourse only make us even so more senscitive. Our bodys needs germs and bacterias to practise on.

Edited by TAWP

When I'm away from Thailand for a while, I get "travelers" discomforts for a short while. Bacteria may be one factor, but there may be others as well such as adjusting to the time difference, the heat, humidity, etc. A number of things can contribute to physical stress that may seem unnoticable, but combined can manifest their presence in the form of frequent toilet runs, er, so to speak.

While many Thais may indeed be accustomed to such things, I would guess that certain kinds of bacteria would give also Thais problems as well. Although in many rural areas the ground water is so badly contaminated that it's unfit for man nor beast. And yet, many of the locals don't seem to be bothered much by it. That might be a matter of pressing one's luck.

I never had any trouble when I first moved over here but I have always had a iron gut. I have eaten every thing and anything since I have been in Thailand and never been crook execpt last month when got up one morning and drank a can of V8 juice and ate a can of sardeens fell pretty shit all day and was near death by 15:00 and was so sick I didnt know where I was had trouble walking to the car and had even more trouble driving it. Finaly made it to the doc and got a few jabs in the but and I started coming good after a hour or so but still took me a few days to fully recover.

All this from two well know brands

I've got Thai friends who've lived here in the UK for 15 years. When they go back to Thailand for a holiday they usually have stomach trouble for a day or two and they also take time to acclimatise to the heat.

Just roll with the punches.

Try and ride it out for a day or so, let your body get used to the Thai bugs.

If it is really bad then off to the doctor for pills and jabs (possibly).

I am in a different country now and going through the same loop.

One of the penalties of living in a sterile environment, like the US or EU.

I agree, the locals are exposed to it more and have tougher guts. I very rarely have stomach problems anymore but when I first came I ate some curry my sister-in-law prepared. I got giardia, everyone else who ate it was fine. :o

Very nasty business, giardia.

I have found a change in the water water can be a source of discomfort travelling almost any where, east / west or different parts of the same state. Bacily a new set of bacteria.

Believe it or not cordial helps. Apart for disguising the change i flavour of the water, the sugar content reduces the level of the bacteria while the system gets used to the new ones. My source was a research vet, speciality pigs, their digestive system is very similar to humans. They found the use of rasbury cordial reduced the need for drugs markedly. Unfortunately she worked for a drug company, I have heard very little more of this research, but can vouch the effectivness of the cure from years of travel experience.

Another thing that can cause stomach reactions is the sudden increase in spice level in the food. This is confused with a belly complaint by some.

Does this mean that being born in the west we are weaker than Thai ?

Or is it just a difference in kind of bacteria?

Mainly a difference in bacteria, I believe. Although the spicy food here probably plays a part in causing problems for visitors as well.

It is also not uncommon to leave cooked food around for considerably longer than what we would normally do in the west.

Chili is a bowel irritant and excessive amounts of alcohol also causes and upset stomach. That accounts for some of the milder stomach problems.

I have almost five consecutive years living here and 11 years' on and off experience of Thailand, but I still havent acclimatized to the extent of my GF, and starting to think that I probably never will. Note that I eat street food without qualms. While she is ok in 99 cases out of a hundred, I do not fare as well. But I cant be asked to stop eating from street stalls. It is worth the discomfort to try out new things.

The very first time I got real food poisoning (throwing up in cascades) in Thailand was from eating at a Pizza Company branch in Bangkok. :o

I reckon that natural yoghurt is a partial answer. As has been said before, it breeds culture in your stomach that helps to keep the bad things at bay.

I've travelled a few times through India and been here for over 7 years and generally don't have a problem at all.

Does this mean that being born in the west we are weaker than Thai ?

Or is it just a difference in kind of bacteria?

Mainly a difference in bacteria, I believe. Although the spicy food here probably plays a part in causing problems for visitors as well.

It is also not uncommon to leave cooked food around for considerably longer than what we would normally do in the west.

Its the bacteria from water. Water is used from everything, cooking, cleaning dishes, brushing teeth, showering, and ice. Everyone's water is treated differently. I have found that using bottled water from bushing your teeth, never drink anything with ice in it, does the trick. I have been all over latin America and some places in Europe. Haven't had a problem yet. but we'll see in BKK.

Chili is a bowel irritant and excessive amounts of alcohol also causes and upset stomach. That accounts for some of the milder stomach problems.

I have almost five consecutive years living here and 11 years' on and off experience of Thailand, but I still havent acclimatized to the extent of my GF, and starting to think that I probably never will. Note that I eat street food without qualms. While she is ok in 99 cases out of a hundred, I do not fare as well. But I cant be asked to stop eating from street stalls. It is worth the discomfort to try out new things.

It may be the residue soap on the plates. Street stalls often do not have access to running water, and keep washing the plates in the same soap water without rinsing them off afterwards. Even minute amounts of soap can play havoc on your guts. Acts as a lubricant.....

Eyedrops have the same effects and are almost tasteless - old trick with stewardesses - never piss off cabin staff.... :o