Pushing Yearly Extension Date

Hi all,

For the last five years I've been extending my permit to stay every year in October because that happens to be when I last entered the country in 2005. Not that this is any devastating problem but for various reasons it will suit me better if the yearly extensions came and went during springtime. So, the deal is that my passport will expire in March 2012, and I am wondering if this can be used to acquire a new yearly extension date on my preferred time of year?

What I am anticipating is that if I just go for my extension late September/early October with the current passport only valid for further 5 1/2 month, there'l be no problem other than Immigration will only extend until the date of passport expiry March 2012. That'll be fine with me provided the "no other problem" part holds true. However, now comes the 1000$ question: When I return in March with a new passport for another extension of my stay permit, will they then extend for a year (expiry March 2013) or will they just stamp me for the remainder of the year I apply(ied) for this fall (expiry October 2012)?

They will extend for the remainder of your current extension of stay and there is no new TM.7 required. Also you should never allow passport to expire if there is any chance you will want or need to travel as many countries require six month validity.

They will extend for the remainder of your current extension of stay and there is no new TM.7 required. Also you should never allow passport to expire if there is any chance you will want or need to travel as many countries require six month validity.

Thanks for the reply. Guess I better make sure getting a full year's worth for my effort and money at next enstension, then.

I think the only way to get a new date on your extension is to leave without a re-entry and reapply for a new non-o and enter on the date when you want to do the extension. I'd love to change mine as well since it inevitably falls during poor weather in the rainy season but am not thrilled with jumping through all the hoops again.

You would have to enter 60-90 days before you want the extension as they will not normally accept application until less than 30 days remaining on the 90 day permitted to stay time.

So, have the changed the practice that it actually is (was) the last enry date you have to live with rather than the date you apply for your first extension?

Edited by rishi

I have the same hassle as my extension is right in the middle of August, where I am often travelling on home leave.

Lopburi; correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the rule is that extension can be granted UP TO 365 days - and naturally that is the logical choice, from a cost benefit point of view, but I guess one COULD decide to extend for say 300 days or whatever, thereby moving the next extension date to a month more suitable? I am sure it would confuse them utterly, and it would be quite a hoot to get sorted - but the rules seems to allow it.

Cheers!