Kids Charities In Chiang Mai

Chicog

I find myself with a spare Bt5,000 that I'd rather not spend on beer and loose women (have other funds for that) and wish to donate it to a Chiang Mai charity doing something useful for kids. Anyone have any good ideas?

How about these people?

http://www.baan-king...-orphanage.org/

@ctrunfree: May I ask you if you know this orphanage and the people behind in person?

Thanks.

Peter

I don't know anything about them, but have heard good reports from visitors to CM who have been out there and subsequently made a donation of cash or supplies. It's likely there will be others on this forum better placed to vouch for them.

How about these people?

http://www.baan-king...-orphanage.org/

@ctrunfree: May I ask you if you know this orphanage and the people behind in person?

Thanks.

Peter

I don't know anything about them, but have heard good reports from visitors to CM who have been out there and subsequently made a donation of cash or supplies. It's likely there will be others on this forum better placed to vouch for them.

Ah, ok. Of course I would feel much better to do a donation if somebody said "Yes, they are still there, and they are doing a great job"

So, does anybody know more about them or any other orphanage?

I think this is a great topic and me also would like to know. Passed particular place many times and always thought it was some kind of restaurant - kin-kaew/eat rice. If it is operating as many "phuu yai" in the picture/website claim and are backing it, I will be willing to contribute as well. Now I make a regular one month stop at a small hill-tribe village not too far from Sameung, giving deliveries to 3 hill-tribe schools with school materials and milk etc. Anyway, that's pretty personal. Another orphanage that one might want to consider is Viengping Orphanage in the Mae Rim area which is very well known, or Ban Rom Sai (a children orphanage having also some AIDS kids) on the Canal Road near Hang Dong. Their website herewith: http://www.banromsai.org/ I am living nearby so am quite or like to be quite involved in their projects, like actually teaching the school and its children to be self sufficient. Also the orphanage has some sponsors from Japan and we're trying to get Japanese Companies interested in products that they make, like saa paper or cards etc. All very worthwhile and extremely rewarding.

The Mhae Ma School and orphanage in Chang Dao has approximately 147 children mostly of Lisu origin. They receive very little (10 baht per day per child) from the Thai government. I have visited many times. The facility is located on top of a mountain and is difficult to access. I am sympathetic to all such facilities but in truth Viengping and Wat Don Chan receive huge numbers of donations and government funds mostly due to their proximity to the city. I am happy to send you more info if you are interested. I have gone to all three places mentioned many, many times in the past 10 years and I have looked into each location quite extensively to determone their needs.

I'm curious as to why there are so many orphans around. Does anybody have any idea?

Also, I'm wondering if there are any up for adoption? If there are, what are the qualifications and procedures required?

Excellent; what could possibly go wrong?

Edited by Maestro
Deleted off-topic attachment

The Mhae Ma School and orphanage in Chang Dao has approximately 147 children mostly of Lisu origin. They receive very little (10 baht per day per child) from the Thai government. I have visited many times. The facility is located on top of a mountain and is difficult to access. I am sympathetic to all such facilities but in truth Viengping and Wat Don Chan receive huge numbers of donations and government funds mostly due to their proximity to the city. I am happy to send you more info if you are interested. I have gone to all three places mentioned many, many times in the past 10 years and I have looked into each location quite extensively to determone their needs.

Yes please Sam, can you PM me location? I'll probably be heading up to Chiang Dao next week.

Always nice to put a little something back as an affordable tax on all the pleasant times I've had in Thailand.

Cheers,

Chico.

I'm curious as to why there are so many orphans around. Does anybody have any idea?

Also, I'm wondering if there are any up for adoption? If there are, what are the qualifications and procedures required?

One reason for so many orphanages is because from my observations, children are highly valued by most Thais, they recognize their ability to 'Properly Train' many kids before their teenage years. They also provide extra education with 3 years of Kindergarten... And of course because of their extreme vulnerability....

Why so many Orphans? Many come from parents locked in prison, illness and death of parent(s), parents giving up their kids because they believe their kids will have a better life in the 'system' (many do), and all of the other typical famly issues like divorce and lack of money....

Nice to see someone thinking to do something nice on here when the extra money shows up, ChicoG !

So.... about charities, there are also some smaller org's in town like Freedom House that educates Burmese refugee kids and is totally grassroots and low budget. I usually donate to them at their Freebird Cafe around Moonmuang Soi 6 or 7. They always need clothing, books, art supplies, Eng or Thai teaching materials - as Thai isn't always spoken yet.

There's also Cultural Canvas Thailand that gives the gift of art to kids. They work with all kinds of Thai kids including the handicapped. It's good stuff.

Will you let us know maybe when you've chosen ? You don't have to say who you went with, I don't think. However, if you do go with an orphanage, say, would you post pictures or results about how everything went ? I mean like how was it spending some time with the kids, or you were able to buy how many new books or shirts... something like that.

There are SO many places with children which need help, you should have no trouble finding them. But I suggest that 5000 baht is not very much to help anyone very much. Nonetheless, the thought is appreciated.

There are SO many places with children which need help, you should have no trouble finding them. But I suggest that 5000 baht is not very much to help anyone very much. Nonetheless, the thought is appreciated.

You sanctimonious slime ball.

Please take a moment to check out www.hilltribeinthecity.org

It says that Stu the guy that runs it is in the US, but thats not true, he's back now.

They sure could use that 5,000 baht. The OP sounds like a very decent guy.

I won't say much more the website tells you everything you need to know

I have spent considerable time at Mhae Ma School in Chang Dao. I have been involved in building new toilet facilities, building bunk beds and painting rooms. I also donated my chest freezer as they had no refrigeration. They exist mainly on broken rice and cabbage. The problem is it is hard to find and there is no signage. I would be happy to lead a group up there on a Sunday. Let me know if there is real interest.

Edited by Sansai Sam

Thanks for the reply.

How about the adoption part? Any idea? Thanks.

One reason for so many orphanages is because from my observations, children are highly valued by most Thais, they recognize their ability to 'Properly Train' many kids before their teenage years. They also provide extra education with 3 years of Kindergarten... And of course because of their extreme vulnerability....

Why so many Orphans? Many come from parents locked in prison, illness and death of parent(s), parents giving up their kids because they believe their kids will have a better life in the 'system' (many do), and all of the other typical famly issues like divorce and lack of money....

In the past I've taken stuff to Im Jai house, but to be honest, they are quite well funded, so I'd prefer to put it somewhere that makes a bigger difference. No reflection on Im Jai, they do a great job.

Why not take Sansai Sam up on his offer? (Post #19)

It sounds like a very needy place, off the beaten track and he can show you the way. smile.gif

Thanks for the reply.

How about the adoption part? Any idea? Thanks.

There are a couple of orphanages near where I live and sometimes people trying to adopt children rent (sub-lease) homes in my area for a couple of months while they are going through the process. I've spoken at length with a German couple and a Canadian couple who both stayed 2-3 doors down from me about the procedure. Apparently it is quite a lengthy and detailed process involving background checks, a lot of legal paperwork and legal fees, many interviews by both police departments and Psychologists in Bangkok. There is apparently a lot of money which changes hands as well.

Edited by elektrified

uptheos, thanks for the link.

electrified, thanks for the inf. Yeah, you are absolutely right; it's a lengthy and troublesome process and not even mentioning the legal fees, etc. I took a look at the link uptheos provided, I gave up reading after 5 minutes.

Coincidentally, a thread came up at TV on fostered and adopted child. It mentions this Viengping Orphanage. It sounds interesting and may pay them a visit next month.

I've been back to the orphanage that I went with = with the Toy Rider's Club. Up to Doi Saket. I don't know the name of it. But it was a small place with about 30 kids. The motor cycle group (Toy Rider Event) there were around 20 or so bikes. It was a planned outing, all the bikers donated food, toys, and their time. What really gave me a big smile, is when the caretakers handed out an apple to each child. You've should have seen their eyes and their little mouths going. At that time, nothing else was important to them. It looked as if they never had an apple before - they enjoyed it so much.

Anyway, my only recommendation is (to everyone) stay away from the Don Chan orphanage. From what I've seen, your donations may not get to the kids... I'll have to leave it at that.

It's great to see others are interested in making donations and making some little child have a smile on their face.

Try to find/go to a small place where you can get a close up and interaction with the kids - if you so disire.

I wanted to take a minute to explain a couple things about the Mha Ma School and to thank everyone who has shown interest in helping them. I moved here 11 years ago with the intention of retiring. I didn't work for the first two years I lived here and I needed something to do. I visited many orphanages and started or joined small programs with a couple. These included Viengping, Chiang Mai Home for Boys and Wat Don Chan. I think any group or individual who is trying to help the kids here is great but I also took the time to look into the amount they receive both from the government and the public. I also looked into their warehouse facilities to see what they had and I tried to guess what they spent in overhead for staff and furnishings. Due mostly to their proximity to the city I can tell you that some of them get alot. I can also share that in my humble opinion some of them are sorely mismanaged. I got bored not working and got back in the grind but I wanted to continue working with a needy charity when I could. I was introduced to Mha Ma School by a friend a few years ago and I have been trying to help since. The main problem for them is that they are located on top of a mountain in Chang Dao at the end of a windy, single lane dirt road with no guard rails. It is best to go up with a 4 wheel drive vehicle and not advisable in the rainy season. There are about 140 kids most of whom have never been down the mountain. As I mentioned they eat mostly cabbage and rice. They get 10 baht per day per child from the government but only during the school year. When I started going there they had too many kids for the beds so many lived in the base underneath with vermin. That has changed since we built bunk beds and closed the gaps in the roof. We also painted the dorms and built new toilets. They need alot more. The Lions Club was kind enough to donate sleeping pads and pillows and Horeca regularly donates sausages. I gave them my chest freezer so they can store some for the rainy season. They have 1 male and 1 female teacher counselor that they must pay to stay with the kids 24 hours. Other than that there are 3 teachers and a headmaster. I can't even explain really how to get there since there are no signs to tell you when to turn off the main road. There is an unaffiliated homestay on the mountain and it's nice to spend the night. The kids love a big bonfire and BBQ. I am happy to lead a group up as soon as it's a bit drier. These kids are TRULY needy and I hope thay can get some help from you guys...Thanks!

Edited by Sansai Sam

I wanted to take a minute to explain a couple things about the Mha Ma School and to thank everyone who has shown interest in helping them. I moved here 11 years ago with the intention of retiring. I didn't work for the first two years I lived here and I needed something to do. I visited many orphanages and started or joined small programs with a couple. These included Viengping, Chiang Mai Home for Boys and Wat Don Chan. I think any group or individual who is trying to help the kids here is great but I also took the time to look into the amount they receive both from the government and the public. I also looked into their warehouse facilities to see what they had and I tried to guess what they spent in overhead for staff and furnishings. Due mostly to their proximity to the city I can tell you that some of them get alot. I can also share that in my humble opinion some of them are sorely mismanaged. I got bored not working and got back in the grind but I wanted to continue working with a needy charity when I could. I was introduced to Mha Ma School by a friend a few years ago and I have been trying to help since. The main problem for them is that they are located on top of a mountain in Chang Dao at the end of a windy, single lane dirt road with no guard rails. It is best to go up with a 4 wheel drive vehicle and not advisable in the rainy season. There are about 140 kids most of whom have never been down the mountain. As I mentioned they eat mostly cabbage and rice. They get 10 baht per day per child from the government but only during the school year. When I started going there they had too many kids for the beds so many lived in the base underneath with vermin. That has changed since we built bunk beds and closed the gaps in the roof. We also painted the dorms and built new toilets. They need alot more. The Lions Club was kind enough to donate sleeping pads and pillows and Horeca regularly donates sausages. I gave them my chest freezer so they can store some for the rainy season. They have 1 male and 1 female teacher counselor that they must pay to stay with the kids 24 hours. Other than that there are 3 teachers and a headmaster. I can't even explain really how to get there since there are no signs to tell you when to turn off the main road. There is an unaffiliated homestay on the mountain and it's nice to spend the night. The kids love a big bonfire and BBQ. I am happy to lead a group up as soon as it's a bit drier. These kids are TRULY needy and I hope thay can get some help from you guys...Thanks!

Hey San Sai Sam,

Thanks for the details. Do you know if the Chiang Mai Toyride is aware of this group.

I'm sure they would like to help if possible.

Thanks,

Hey San Sai Sam,

Thanks for the details. Do you know if the Chiang Mai Toyride is aware of this group.

Thanks,

Why not ask them. No harm in asking is there? Here is where to do it..................http://chiangmaitoyride.com/?p=36#comments

Hey San Sai Sam,

Thanks,

Why not ask them. No harm in asking is there? Here is where to do it..................http://chiangmaitoyride.com/?p=36#comments

Hi All;

I am a co-chairman of the Chiang Mai ToyRide. I have been watching this post without comment thus far. Thanks to those who commented positively on our activities and suggested CMTR for the OP'S donations.

I have not commented because I am always interested in other's suggestions and we are constantly looking for new places to help. Not that we wouldn't like the OP'S donation, but we will be hitting everyone up for our next toy ride soon enough. We like to see donations going to other worthy causes also. 5,000 baht is not insignificant as someone seemed to suggest. Multiply that by a number of other people donating 5,000baht, and obviously you can accomplish a lot.

;)

One of the criteria that we use for CMTR is that they are children we consider "under the radar". In other words not receiving benefits from any large sponsor and usually in small out of the way places. We have on occasion made exceptions when we felt it would still be a beneficial use of funds. The Mha Ma School sounds very interesting and we would like to learn more.

We are committed to a donation event at a small mountaintop village about 45kms from Chiang Mai off the road to Pai. This village is also inaccessible during rainy season. We hope to have an event there in late October.

Anyone wishing to send us more information or suggestions for our CMTR Committee to consider can do so at [email protected], or PM or email me here on TV .

SanSai Sam; I, for one, would certainly like to go see your school. Let us know when you may next head that way and I am sure that others would also like to have a look and see how we can help. Any chance of getting GPS coordinates? I am sure some of our dirt bikers would then find a way to get there in short order.

Thanks Again.