Changing Surname After Applying For Uk Spouse Visa

Hi

just a quick question

Will it make much difference if my wife was to changes her surname after Submitting her application for a spouse Visa???

She is keen on Changing her surname to my surname but she doesn't want to delay her visa application. (neither do I)

I do understand that she would not be able to change the surname on her passport until she returns home if she is successful and all air tickets have to be in the same name has her passport.

Malc

Edited by malct

If you mean change her name on her passport, then; no.

Two reasons, 1) her passport will be submitted with the application, so she wont be able to change it until she gets it back.and 2) even if she could, the name on her application must be the same as the name on her passport.

There is no compulsion under both Thai and UK law for a wife to take her husband's name upon marriage, so whether she changes her passport or not is a personal choice; but doing so will delay submitting her application. It takes about 5 working days at the main passport office in Laksi, longer if out of Bangkok as you have to allow a couple of days for the passport to be sent to Laksi and then returned. Even longer if she is still in the UK and does it via thye RTE in London.

She will, however, be able to change the name on her ID card, but this has to be done at her home ampur.

Hi 7by7

no , we don't want to Change the details on her passport, but she is looking at changing her name and then change her name on her ID card,

I believe that its OK to carry on using her Passport in her maiden name/

Malc

My wife did.

She changed her ID card a few days after the marriage, but didn't change her passport until the time came to renew it.

At one point she had:

• Thai ID card in her married name
  • Thai passport in her maiden name
  • British passport in her married name

I'm not sure about Thai law, but certainly as far as the UK is concerned an individual can use as many names as they wish; as long as there is no intention to deceive. Cherie Booth/Blair, for example.

Finally, her visa will be endorsed "Spouse of (your name)" so there will be a link to you when required.

My wife did.

She changed her ID card a few days after the marriage, but didn't change her passport until the time came to renew it.

But wouldn't that complicate the Visa process.... for example my sequence of events inside 1 week would be:-

1) Get married,

2) change name on ID at local amphur (and possibly on House registration as that is changed at the same time - i think),

3) keep passport in maiden name.

4) submit application for settlement visa with Passport and application and supporting docs (TB, English test, etc) in "Name A" - but the accompanying copy of her ID and house registration in "Name B".

Would this not throw the VFS and Embasy at Bangkok into meltdown :shock1:

It was 11 years ago, but if I recall correctly we didn't submit her ID card or house registration. Her passport was enough proof of her identity and our marriage certificate provided the link to me.

I stand to be corrected, but I also don't recall ever recommending to anyone that ID card and house book should be included in a spouse/fiance/partner settlement application. However, if these are included then, again, the marriage certificate will suppply the link.

I stand to be corrected, but I also don't recall ever recommending to anyone that ID card and house book should be included in a spouse/fiance/partner settlement application.

As far as I understand, a photocopy of the ID card is a requirement (UKBA VAF4A Checklist of required documents), but I agree there is no mention of the House Registration.

Hi and thank you for your replys

Its my GF who always submits the Family house book and was not sure if it was a requirment

Thank you all for your Help.

Still waiting for her A1 Certificate but its in the Post

Malc