Money Pours In For Rescued Dogs :

Lite Beer

NAKHON PANOM

Money pours in for rescued dogs

30163014-01.jpg

The money donated to aid the dogs in Nakhon Phanom has reached almost Bt12 million, Nakhon Phanom Governor Rerngsak Mahawinijchaimontree said on Wednesday.

Ever since the Bangkok Bank account number 666-009-7947 was opened to enable kind-hearted people to donate money to save the dogs, funds have been pouring in. Contributions of dog food had also been forthcoming, with many welcomed, people calling Nakhon Phanom Animal Quarantine Station around the clock on (042) 522-591

Rerngsak said the Bt12 million should be sufficient to take care of the dogs, who will remain impounded animals as live evidence until the court rules on this criminal case. A committee led by the provincial governor himself would ensure that the spending of the donated money would be transparent as possible and focus on providing medical care to the dogs and get the dogs returned to their rightful owners.

Thai authorities rescued some 2,000 dogs before they were to be transported to a neighbouring country to be cooked and eaten and arrested three smugglers - Montree Phanklang, a Vietnamese citizen Tran Van Hai, and Noppadon Chaiwangrat - on Thursday night while they were travelling through Nakhon Phanom. Two hundred and fifty dogs were reported dead and the rest are now being kept at the quarantine Station.

While the three suspects were granted bail releases on Saturday, two more suspects - Anusorn Buppasiri, 37, and Weerawat Sawasdee, 22 - surrendered to police on Wednesday morning

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-17

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the one hand, it's a positive sign that so many Thais (and farang) have donated to the dogs. Having a photo like that really brings out the open wallets. Perhaps the sentiment could be extended - to establish animal shelters throughout Thailand. May I suggest where added money for that could come from? Collect property taxes. Currently, tax collection is near non-existent for properties outside cities (am not sure whether it exists within cities either). Many rich Thais, most of them based in Bkk, have vast holdings throughout Thailand, but pay zero tax. Not fair.

This is only a short term fix to the problem.

The question is; what are the prospects for the long term welfare of these dogs?

Perhaps some of the dogs have become too highly strung to be adopted with families, plus including health problems and so on.

12 million baht should be sufficient.... Jeeze i would bloody well hope so.

There are human beings in this country hungry and they worry about some scabby dogs.. I like dogs but this is stupid.

I have to agree with you. As a dog owner, I am sympathetic to their plight, but I am sure many of those canines are in poor condition and not adoptable.

I am sure there are also quite a few pets in their numbers, not all soi dog strays. However my neighbour here in Phichit now has about 15 of these "rat-dogs" and continues to allow them to roam freely in the neighbourhood. Thais, being Buddhist, at least those around here, dislike poisoning as it is painful death.

OK with regard to the captive K9s put the sick and injured ones to sleep painlessly and look after the healthy ones.

As thaicbr rightly says "12 million baht should be sufficient". Definitely more than enough. People need help too.

Perhaps our man in Dubai, Brunei,Shanghai can help?

Very heartwarming to see this kind of overwhelming support. We had tried to donate for two days before the overwhelmed bank finally got its act together.

And if some of you lot think this is only about $, then sadly you are missing the point: part of being human is about having the heart to care for all life - not just man's best friend.

And these dogs will not spend the money on drinking, cards or burn down the other dogs huts when they don't get more bones to chew on.

They got mistreated by scum and so are the typical victims that I support the state and private citizens to support so they can get out of their plight.

Do those of you who think 12 mil baht is too much money have any idea what it costs to house and maintain 2000 dogs? How big a staff do you need? There is also the cost of trying to return dogs to their owners. And the ones that can't be returned need to be sterilized. 12 mil isn't going to go very far.

Obviously it wasn't your dogs that are missing.

And these dogs will not spend the money on drinking, cards or burn down the other dogs huts when they don't get more bones to chew on.

They got mistreated by scum and so are the typical victims that I support the state and private citizens to support so they can get out of their plight.

+1

I've disagreed with you with on a couple of things in the past, and probably will again in the future, but on this one I feel the same.

Do those of you who think 12 mil baht is too much money have any idea what it costs to house and maintain 2000 dogs?

I suspect they don't. That comes out to only 6000 Baht per dog. Our Golden costs us around 1-2k/month not including vet bills, etc. Add to that the inoculations, possible neutering, support staff, transport - it adds up quickly.

This is only a short term fix to the problem.

The question is; what are the prospects for the long term welfare of these dogs?

Perhaps some of the dogs have become too highly strung to be adopted with families, plus including health problems and so on.

@Beetlejuice: It is a beginning, and it gives hope for the many Thai soi- and not taken care of dogs and pedigree's who are taken care of but were obviously stolen...

I am not living in that part of the country and have zero interest to move there, but I am pretty sure that there are ways now to do something, I know of 5 animal rescue stations across the Country who are charity and financed by donations and voluntary help form Farang and Thai.

If nop one is ready to make a change by establishing such a station close to the place where the dogs are and where the trade obviously wason a regular base, the remaining dogs from former 2000, are 1300 dogs, many seems to be pedigrees, so they must have owners who will badly miss them and who will love to get their family members back, I would adopt a few, have read of othes who would and the other poor souls could be split all over the country to find a safe living place at one of these charity places until a good soul may take care by giving a home as a pet. The 12 Million is a number, donated in just a few days... and even if just a drop in the ocean, it is a beginning and this gives me a lot of hope.

@all the negative posters, I mean these adult kindergarden folks in here with all their negative, sarcatic, mad and deadhearted comments and postings... such a mass reaction and amazing result on this cruelty, REALLY should make you feel ashamed.

Donations, food pour in for rescued dogs

By TAWEE APHISAKULCHAT

THE NATION

30163054-01.jpg

Donations for the dogs rescued in Nakhon Phanom have passed Bt13.5 million since two bank accounts were opened.

Contributions of dog food have also been pouring in, with many people calling the Nakhon Phanom Animal Quarantine Station around the clock at (042) 522 591 to see how they can help the canines saved from the cooking pot.

Manon Chaiyasen, an official at the Muang district livestock development office, said yesterday that the Bangkok Bank account showed a balance of Bt10.72 million and the Krung Thai Bank account Bt2.80 million in deposits.

Pairat Prathumsuwan, a provincial livestock official, said the facility now had a supply of dog food to last for three months, as Bt12,000 was needed daily for food and Bt3,000 to cover medical care.

About 50 veterinarians have been working overtime to treat the many injured dogs, while soldiers were assembling more cages and spraying cleansers to make the environment more hygienic.

Staff from the Thai Animal Guardians Association were putting collars on all the dogs and recording their information and photos at the rate of 100-200 animals per day.

Authorities have agreed to let people retrieve their pets if they can prove ownership through documents or witnesses.

The death toll of the dogs has reached 272.

Governor Rerngsak Mahawinijchaimontree said the surviving dogs would remain impounded as live evidence until the court rules on this criminal case on September 26.

A committee led by Rerngsak will ensure that the spending of the donated money is transparent and that the dogs are provided medical care and eventually returned to their rightful owners.

Authorities last week intercepted trucks carrying about 2,000 dogs squeezed into crates for delivery to a nearby country to be eaten.

Three men - Montree Phanklang, Tran Van Hai, a Vietnamese citizen, and Noppadon Chaiwangrat - were arrested on smuggling charges last Thursday night while travelling through the province.

The three suspects were granted bail on Saturday, while two more suspects - Anusorn Buppasiri, 37, and Weerawat Sawasdee, 22 - surrendered to police yesterday morning.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-18

After most of the dogs are sold, where do you really think the money will go? :cheesy:

There are too many people watching this. A large number of the people that have contributed are the same people that keep other charities going and they won't tolerate any screwing around.

Governor Rerngsak Mahawinijchaimontree said the surviving dogs would remain impounded as live evidence until the court rules on this criminal case on September 26.

A committee led by Rerngsak will ensure that the spending of the donated money is transparent and that the dogs are provided medical care and eventually returned to their rightful owners. It will be an expensive proposition to care for these traumatized critters. The staffing is going to number in the hundreds. The costs of medicine and food are not cheap.

After most of the dogs are sold, where do you really think the money will go? :cheesy:

There are too many people watching this. A large number of the people that have contributed are the same people that keep other charities going and they won't tolerate any screwing around.

A committee led by Rerngsak will ensure that the spending of the donated money is transparent and that the dogs are provided medical care and eventually returned to their rightful owners. It will be an expensive proposition to care for these traumatized critters. The staffing is going to number in the hundreds. The costs of medicine and food are not cheap.

There are too many people watching this.

Didn't stop people with the Tsunami funds, sad to say.

I suspect many people will not like my view, but I think the Vietnamese have got it right.

Surely it's better that the dogs get eaten and thereby have at least some purpose, rather than left to their own devices roaming the streets with no protection or care, becoming mangy and full of all manner of disease, become a health hazard to other dogs and humans, and eventually die alone?

Because that is what commonly happens here, except for the very small minority that has the good fortune to be picked up by volunteer organisations.

Note that pigs are at least as smart as dogs, and most humans have no problems with eating them.

i am one who has taken great interest in this,but i am dissapionted i have not had one reply to my post in the banking forum[24hrs ago] asking would they donate all the bank charges for the money transfers to the appeal.the time i criticised a bank they shot me down pretty quick.

Only in this country would people donate millions of baht to feed some miserable diseased dogs that nobody wants. What about donating money to dozens of needy schools and fill them up with computers and air conditioning units. never.

The money wont go to the dogs anyway. It will mostly go on o/seas holidays to Europe and maybe a new BMW sports for the wife or mai noi. Maybe a new condo in Phuket for a mfamily with influence.

Those dogs will quietly disappear at 4 am on a date to be determined.

What about donating money to dozens of needy schools and fill them up with computers and air conditioning units. never.

Yes, what do YOU do? Already finished your part in society? I mean, besides criticizing. Why not put in THB 100 for each of your words? Should make you feel better and may get you an understanding of what tambuhn stands for. :whistling:

Edited by Richard Hall

I suspect many people will not like my view, but I think the Vietnamese have got it right.

Surely it's better that the dogs get eaten and thereby have at least some purpose, rather than left to their own devices roaming the streets with no protection or care, becoming mangy and full of all manner of disease, become a health hazard to other dogs and humans, and eventually die alone?

Ist that so? You may wanna take a look at this:

http://bkkstreetdogs.blogspot.com/

Just a few words of advice. Try to not hate but understand them and both will benefit. :rolleyes:

Only in this country would people donate millions of baht to feed some miserable diseased dogs that nobody wants. What about donating money to dozens of needy schools and fill them up with computers and air conditioning units. never.

The money wont go to the dogs anyway. It will mostly go on o/seas holidays to Europe and maybe a new BMW sports for the wife or mai noi. Maybe a new condo in Phuket for a mfamily with influence.

Those dogs will quietly disappear at 4 am on a date to be determined.

Absolutely! Dogs are a curse in Thailand - abandoned and left to run wild or, at best, uncontrolled by owners. They present a danger to motorcyclists, spread disease and, particularly when in packs, can be vicious. At night they bark or howl at all hours. Uncontrolled dogs without owner identification should attract a bounty and should be destroyed on sight - they are simply vermin and should be eradicated rather than being pandered to by misguided donations of money that is needed so much in so many other areas.

No doubt I'll be branded a dog-hater (simply untrue - dogs, either as pets or working, are great PROVIDED THEY ARE CONTROLLED) because I choose to put humans before dogs.

The 12 Million is a number, donated in just a few days... and even if just a drop in the ocean, it is a beginning and this gives me a lot of hope.

@all the negative posters, I mean these adult kindergarden folks in here with all their negative, sarcatic, mad and deadhearted comments and postings... such a mass reaction and amazing result on this cruelty, REALLY should make you feel ashamed.

Yes, it does seem that ThaiVisa attracts a lot of cynical people with a pathetic view on almost anything that takes place in Thailand. But then when you consider it's typically less than a few dozen people who seem to be angry about everything and fill the message boards with their rants, I suppose they are simply the vocal minority.

... rather than being pandered to by misguided donations of money that is needed so much in so many other areas.

No doubt I'll be branded a dog-hater (simply untrue - dogs, either as pets or working, are great PROVIDED THEY ARE CONTROLLED) because I choose to put humans before dogs.

You are assuming that people who donated to help the dogs chose to do so RATHER than to help people. I would suggest that it's quite likely that people who donated to help the dogs are as generous or more so when it comes to causes involving people. They are probably not the people who spend their time making a lot of noise on ThaiVisa, but do put their money and their actions first and their Letters to the Editor and message board rants second.

Thai people and a lot of the foreigners here are generous. I would estimate that the number of people who go hungry in Thailand are a lower percentage than is the case in most of the so-called developed countries. Thai people are quite good about sharing, even if they have only the bare essentials themselves.

Choosing to put humans before dogs sounds very very noble but is pretty meaningless. Allowing animals to suffer does not improve life for humans and making bold statements on message boards benefits neither animals nor humans. If someone has been generous in the support of victims of natural disasters, orphans, the handicapped et al, then s/he should not be criticized for helping to look after animals as well.

Pure speculation on my part,but I bet the people who rush to criticize the generosity of those who want to help these dogs are freer with their criticism than they are with their cash in supporting any cause.

post-109025-0-74135900-1313658930_thumb.

Edited by Suradit

You are assuming that people who donated to help the dogs chose to do so RATHER than to help people. I would suggest that it's quite likely that people who donated to help the dogs are as generous or more so when it comes to causes involving people.

I see that attitude by members fairly often. Just doesn't seem to occur to some that you can do both.

12 million baht should be sufficient.... Jeeze i would bloody well hope so.

There are human beings in this country hungry and they worry about some scabby dogs.. I like dogs but this is stupid.

No, what stupid is rationing compassion. I'll bet you think folks who care for other animals don't care, support, fund programs to help humans. Saying you 'like dogs' is easy. I would question that, since you think "scabby dogs" aren't worthy of the loving support pouring out to them.