Bangkok Airways Credit Card Proof

snairb

any one help, have bought 2 tickets one for me and one for g/f only problem is i will be in transit she will be booking in through domestic

bkk airways state credit card must be shown on booking in dont really wabt to check baggage out then back in let alone the immigration saga

cheers

snairb

guess what my name is1

This rule, when applied, can be a pain.

I was once travelling from Bkk to Singapore and the little check-in girl wanted to see the credit card that I had used to pay for the ticket.

I did not have it. It took ages for them to cancel the original payment and then take another one from a card that I had on me.

I was minutes away from missing the plane and became stressed.

Needless to say, I had no such problems when returning from Singapore.

It is classed as a security measure, but is more an unwanted potential problem.

Up and down CNX and BKK on Bangkok Airways many times and never had to show my Credit card with ticket bought with it on line.

I, on the other hand, have been asked to show my card each and every time. I must be a dodgy looking character.

BKK airways ALWAYS ask for the CC used to purchase the ticket.

You have to be the holder of the card.

And copying both sides of a CC and giving it to some one else is plain stupid.

Try that, and you'll be sorry. Your card will be cloned if the photocopy falls into the wrong hand.

And copying both sides of a CC and giving it to some one else is plain stupid.

Try that, and you'll be sorry. Your card will be cloned if the photocopy falls into the wrong hand.

Don't be paranoiac, she is his girlfriend, and anyway i don't need a paper copy of your credit card to clone it...

Why don't you ask Bangkok Airways? Just an idea

A good idea, however they do say this on the booking page and in the announcement section on their website:

For the payment with all types of credit and debit card, cardholder must be one of the travelers on the itinerary, and also required to provide the card used for online payment and to present valid identification document(s) (passport or identification card) at the check-in counter prior to issuance of boarding passes. Failure to present the card, a new payment at the airport counter for your journey is required. Passenger will be denied on board if found traveling with fraudulent card.

If you have paid by virtual card, you need to present the deducted transaction document from your bank account in order to prove your ticket purchasing.

Just recently this happened to us. Checked in for Samui flight and was asked for credit card at Bangkok Airways. I've travelled Bangkok Airways many times and am always asked for the card. That day I just forgot it as I only use it for buying tickets. Even when I showed her my airline ID (another airline) she would have none of it. Had to buy new tickets at price we purchased the originals and they did an automatic charge back to original card.

• 4 weeks later...

Thai Airways does exactly the same thing when you book online.

"IMPORTANT RULES:

For electronic ticket

- Credit card or debit card used for purchase of the electronic ticket and passport must always be presented at the check-in counter.

- Credit card or debit card holder must travel in the first flight segment. Payment card owner must travel in the first flight segment. The card owner's name and card number must be exactly identical to his/her passport, as well as, specified in the reservation."

Thai Airways does exactly the same thing when you book online.

"IMPORTANT RULES:

For electronic ticket

- Credit card or debit card used for purchase of the electronic ticket and passport must always be presented at the check-in counter.

- Credit card or debit card holder must travel in the first flight segment. Payment card owner must travel in the first flight segment. The card owner's name and card number must be exactly identical to his/her passport, as well as, specified in the reservation."

That last part's a bit odd! The name on my card isn't exactly the same as in my passport! The card has Mr 'initial' 'surname' whereas my passport, obviously, has my full name including my middle name.

Anyway, shouldn't be a problem as I have only flown with Thai once, and doubt that I will repeat the experience :)

Lastly, slightly off topic (apologies) but why do some airlines insist on the card holder being on the flight and others either don't care about the card at all (Air Asia for instance) or just ask for a signed photocopy if the card holder isn't flying?

The rule is inane and would only guarantee that I wouldn't fly with them. Some of us travel a lot and the bookings are handled via agents and the company account - hence impossible to show the 'right' CC. And I aint about to charge any flights on my personal CC just to satisfy a low budget airline.

The rule is inane and would only guarantee that I wouldn't fly with them. Some of us travel a lot and the bookings are handled via agents and the company account - hence impossible to show the 'right' CC. And I aint about to charge any flights on my personal CC just to satisfy a low budget airline.

I agree with your reasoning, except that in my case it was the "high budget" airline, Thai Airways, that refused to fly me on a paid ticket unless I produce my credit card (and besides, I was a gold member for many years and still am silver now), while Air Asia never made a problem of this sort.

Eh? I thought the credit card requirement is only for those who purchased ticket online. I booked through an agent using credit card and I didn't need to show my credit card. (Both TG and PG)

But yeah, the rules is really strange and totally a waste of time. I mean, what's the point of buying the tix and checking-in online when you have to stop by their counter to show the credit card before boarding the plane. Shouldn't you be able to board directly using that printed out boarding pass?

Really odd.

Jetstar and Thai Air Asia don't have these rules.

Edited by infernalman7

I hope Thai Airways don't do this on a general basis - I have never had to do it and being stationed here in BKK I fly all long hauls on any Star Alliance carriers, including TG.

This recently appeared on the front page of the Thai website, saying that with an effective date of 13th Sept credit cards used for on-line purchases must be presented at check-in, whether they actually enforce it is anyone's guess.

Online credit card purchased must present the card when Check-in

Passenger who purchases online ticket for him/herself with credit card, the password VBV (Verified by VISA) or 3D Secure (Master Card Secure)shall be the additional security and assurance for such card holder only. However, he/she will still be required to present such credit card at check-in counter and/or contact any THAI city selling office in person unless his/her consent form has been signed.

I have a friend who nearly got into trouble when kicking off at the check in counter.

His complaint - Thai Airways would not accept the credit card he'd purchased the ticket with as that credit card was now out of date (he'd booked a few months earlier), his new credit card had a different 16 digit number....

He was forced to purchase a new ticket which was significantly more expensive than the discounted ticket he'd purchased previously.

I believe this is despicable treatment. There are enough measures that can be taken to prove that the ticket purchaser and the person checking in are the same person (i.e. name, DOB etc). This rule is so prohibitive I can't actually think of any logical reason they could have to enforce it.

If Mr Richard Smith uses a Credit card in the name of Richard Smith to purchase a ticket in the name of Richard Smith how on earth could any logic dictate that there may be some form of fraudulent payment?

However, if this involves a 3rd party not traveling with Mr Smith, then I can understand why further proof is required as the ticket could be purchased on a stolen card - In that case I can see how a photo copy of Mr Smiths Passport is sufficient. Anything more than this and the regulations again become too prohibitive.

I have a friend who nearly got into trouble when kicking off at the check in counter.

His complaint - Thai Airways would not accept the credit card he'd purchased the ticket with as that credit card was now out of date (he'd booked a few months earlier), his new credit card had a different 16 digit number....

He was forced to purchase a new ticket which was significantly more expensive than the discounted ticket he'd purchased previously.

I have read things like this happening before, in one case the guy even took the expired credit card with him and still had to buy a new ticket. Surely even Thai Airways staff realise that credit cards do expire at some time, and some people even change credit cards.

It's simple really, in your case the credit card transaction is between agent and your company. The agents pay the airline.

Yermanee :jap:

I hope Thai Airways don't do this on a general basis - I have never had to do it and being stationed here in BKK I fly all long hauls on any Star Alliance carriers, including TG.

My experience is that about 80% of the time, the TG check-in agent does ask to see the credit card that was used to purchase the ticket.