The Real Test For Yingluck Is Substance Before Style; Thai Talk

webfact

THAI TALK

The real test for Yingluck is substance before style

By Suthichai Yoon

The Nation

30163026-01.jpg

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's first "moment of truth" as the new chief executive will come soon - when she delivers her policy statement to Parliament next Monday. That's when the "shadow government" led by former premier Abhisit Vejjajiva will demand detailed plans for all the populist policies her Pheu Thai Party promised during the election campaign. That's when, after she has read her script, Yingluck will have to demonstrate the quality of her political leadership.

Nobody expects her to be an eloquent speaker. That would be unfair and unrealistic. After all, this will be her debut in a House debate. Ironically, her popularity has nothing to do with her being a politician or a CEO. It's the appearance of humility and charm, the perception of her being more reconciliatory that has sustained her position so far.

But the positive ratings can be sustained only by substance in her presentation of her agenda and the priorities of her government in tackling the whole range of difficult challenges ahead.

Yingluck doesn't have to be an orator in the House. In fact, if she sounds nervous, even uncertain, but comes across as sincere and well prepared, the country's first female prime minister may pass the first test with flying colours.

So far, she hasn't made any statement of great significance in relation to governing this country. That's probably why she hasn't made any major mistake in public. Wisely, she has chosen to play it safe. Shrewdly, she has not appeared to try to avoid any sensitive question from reporters.

And, to all intents and purposes, she has tried to offer long, ambiguous responses to direct questions. Perhaps this is still the honeymoon period between reporters and the nice-looking, polite and charming premier. That's why we haven't heard tough follow-up questions from reporters who obviously simply couldn't take hazy answers as satisfactory responses to complicated issues.

It has become a joke among reporters on the Government House beat that no matter what the question is, especially if it's a controversial issue, the premier's answer, at least in these few weeks after the election, is: "Things will have to proceed according to proper steps."

There is, of course, nothing wrong with the chief executive making sure that "proper steps" are taken. In fact, it's a commendable position. It could even mean that the premier wants to underscore the importance of the rule of law and strict law enforcement. But then, we won't know what she really means unless she spells out the "steps" that need to be taken.

But then, you can't blame her, can you? Why haven't reporters pursued by asking the follow-up query: "What are the proper steps, Madame Prime Minister?" Or "Are the steps being taken proper?" Or "Do you know whether proper steps are being taken?"

I am sure she will do better on the day she gives her policy statement that will lay down the plan to run this country - and to list her agenda of priorities. That's when she cannot just say: "Things will proceed according to proper procedures." She will have to convince the whole country, and not only the MPs in the House, that she knows what the "proper steps" are.

Of course, she will have to explain how she plans to implement the controversial Bt300 and Bt15,000 minimum salary guarantee plans without causing runaway inflation and draining national coffers. The Oil Fund and the huge Land Reclamation Project will also be issues she has to spell out in great detail.

Of immediate interest is how Yingluck will handle Big Brother Thaksin, starting with his visa and passport issues. The premier can't simply say that she won't personally step in to help her brother - "I will not do anything to help any particular individual. I will only do things that benefit the country as a whole" - and let the Foreign Ministry "take the proper steps".

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul has already demonstrated extraordinary haste in helping Thaksin get a visa to Japan and setting the stage for considering returning the "red" passport to the ex-premier. Yingluck's denial that the new government was taking that step sounds vague and unconvincing.

More urgent and pressing issues await immediate action by the new premier. The obsession to do the Thaksin thing too much too soon will undoubtedly shorten her government's life span.

Notwithstanding her repeated denials to the contrary, Yingluck must realise that she wasn't elected to preside over a "single-issue" government.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-18

So far, she hasn't made any statement of great significance in relation to governing this country. That's probably why she hasn't made any major mistake in public.

:cheesy:

Yet another new benchmark. Don't say anything and you can't be criticized.

Edited by Buchholz

" If my work is viewed by Thais as requiring a necktie, or wearing the most current fashion, then presentation is usually far more important than ability. If I look right, then I must have the ability. I agree that in the business world, and some other places, appearance can be important, but the people of Thailand have taken this type of superficial appearance to a level that places it above any other factor, and to which few Thais can see beyond. Apparently, if you look the part, then there is no reason why you are not that person. The idea that appearance is the most important component in one's life is something that I can't fully understand, as my western-Greek-logical tradition suggests that looks can be deceiving and it is not looks, but works that matter most. In this regard, Thai and western cultures are almost diametrically opposed."

Edited by Sadiegirl1975

I don't think anyone will dispute that Yingluck is a woman. As a woman there is no doubt in my mind that she has a mind of her own. My wife is also a woman and she is polite enough to discuss financial and other issues with me. After I give her my opinion, she does whatever she wanted to do in the first place. Those men who would dispute this are obviously not married. Do you REALLY believe that she is a puppet?

I don't think anyone will dispute that Yingluck is a woman. As a woman there is no doubt in my mind that she has a mind of her own. My wife is also a woman and she is polite enough to discuss financial and other issues with me. After I give her my opinion, she does whatever she wanted to do in the first place. Those men who would dispute this are obviously not married. Do you REALLY believe that she is a puppet?

Within the home I like to believe I'm in charge, like your wife Gary, often quietly and unobtrusively, but in the end, firmly!

But if entered the world of politics as a novice and reached the top job within a month and a half I would know for sure I'm certainly not in charge!

Yes! 100% Your 'logic' is overshadowed by the 'facts on the ground'.