Danger-house Break In

This is a serious post to Samui residents, there has been many break ins in the last few weeks, also people being attacked on motorbikes late at night.

In the last two weeks I know several friends who have been burgled, several large resorts in Chaweng have had multiple room break ins too.

Also many reports of gangs trying to kick people off bikes to rob them late at night.

A friend of mine has spoken to the police and they put it down to several large gangs which have arrived following the Tsunami, the police are apparently pulling their hair out, but one gang was caught last night in Lipa Noi, it was on the local news.

A few farangs have also been marched at knife point to ATM's, two bar owners had this done to them and police believe the theifs knew who they were targeting.

This is very serious, and people should protect their properties, some robberies have occured whilst the people are in their homes! Also be careful of gangs on bikes late at night. Particualry around the lake road in Chaweng and the Ghost Road.

This sort of thing is not confined to any one area. Isaan is subjected to it and IMO things will get worse as the cost of living rises in Thailand due to inheirant issues and outside influences (Oil prices etc.).

I agree, the resort where my husband works recently had several people that were robbed whilst on their bikes. They managed to catch the first lot though - kids from Nakhon Sri Thammarat on their school holidays. Please people don't leave your bags on your shoulder or in your basket whilst riding your bike.

The thefts I have heard about were on the mountain road between Chaweng and Lamai and on the corner of the main road/chaweng beach road (near to the Fairhouse).

Saying that - nothing has happened to me since I've lived here (3yrs) other than the next door house being burgled, but nothing much was taken. Samui is still a safe place to be.

I have just heard that a Brazilian national (with japanese roots) has been murdered in Samui. They stabbed him with a knife. I met this man last year here in Bangkok while on a cocktail ceremony hosted by the Brazilian Embassy. I don't know if Thais were the responsible, but there has been continous attacks agaisnt foreigners in Thailand, including the one of the Bhutanese in Ratchada. All I'd say for now is, Mai sanook mak mak. Not as it was before.