Website Problems

terdsak_12

I'm quite proud of my website and get a lot of positive comments about it. However some people who use Firefox and other web browers say it won't open. I use MS Frontpage as it's easy for me to use.

Any way to get it to be compatible with other web browers without being a rocket scientist? I'd be happy to pay for the right person to sort this out, or maybe even completely redo my site in a manner I can still work on myself.

Expat Motors

Cheers.

Hi TizMe,

Ok there are problems, how many current webpages pass this test? Have you got an alternative solution?

The majority are not errors but just warnings that defaults will be applied. The attribute Alt is not required, it just shows text when the mouse hovers over the images. This has no effect on the display of the page. Same as missing out the width and height parameters. The browser has to take additional time to find the dimensions of the image and size the page accordingly to the actual width and height of the images.

Cheers,

John_Betong

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Microsoft don't use this product to create their own websites, so why does anybody else?

Run your website through W3C Validation

Result:    Failed validation, 51 errors

MS Frontpage isn't worth the disk space that it takes up.

I'm quite proud of my website and get a lot of positive comments about it. However some people who use Firefox and other web browers say it won't open. I use MS Frontpage as it's easy for me to use.

Any way to get it to be compatible with other web browers without being a rocket scientist? I'd be happy to pay for the right person to sort this out, or maybe even completely redo my site in a manner I can still work on myself.

Expat Motors

Cheers.

Hi

I use firefox and this is a screen shot of your web site does it look right seemed ok to me.

Regards Ash

post-17137-1130698352_thumb.jpg

Your site does not render properly in Firefox or Netscape because it contains a lot of code that is microsoft specific. This may not be a big issue as microsoft still have over 80% of the browser market.

What is probably more concerning is what the search engines see when they index your site. There are a number of utilities on the web that emulate what search engine spider will see when visiting your site, try : What a Search Engine May See

It doesn't seem to see all your content. I would recommend getting hold of a copy of Dreamweaver 8 and slowly re-creating your site with this tool. Cascading Style Sheets would improve loading speeds and help seperate content from formatting making it more search engine friendly.

Personally having used both FrontPage and Dreamweaver I find the latter easier to use and much more powerful.

Yes it's free :o

You can use it free, you have the right to copy and redistribute it freely. As written at the bottom end of the page :

Open Source

Nvu is 100% open source.  This means anyone is welcome to download Nvu at no charge, including the source code if you need to make special changes

Open Source Definition : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Source_Definition

FSF homepage : http://www.fsf.org/ and more than 4000 other free softwares on this page : http://directory.fsf.org/

Enjoy. :D

An open source alternative to Frontpage and Dreamweaver is Nvu:

http://www.nvu.com/

Have a look.  :D

hi'

you got it first :D.... I was just thinking about as I use it with windozs, and it's a wonder, the only main difference with dreamweaver is that it does not manage frames, but who cares :o

it's the best wysiwyg FREE program available, and it's only in version 1 ...

francois

Anyone got any example sites made from NVU. I downloaded the software, seems straight forward enough, a few things missing that Front Page has, or I can't find them!!!

hi'

nothing missing from fp, as they are useless, don't hesiate to read the help files, they are very useful :o

you'll find anything you may need to build a nice site as I do for my customers when they ask :D

take a look at the import menu :D

francois