Google Voice Now Available In Thailand. $0.01 Per Minute From Thai To Usa And Canada

happysanook

try:

install the chat plugin if not already installed:

http://www.google.com/talk/

then/or:

settings (gear icon top-right) ---> Chat tab at top of settings sub-menus ---> Call phones

make sure it's enabled.

refresh the gmail.

then should see a little phone icon in the bottom right of gmail when it reloads (in the chat list of friends). Click it and wait a few seconds and the dial pad should show up on the right.

Edited by happysanook

I'm still getting that message: "Thanks for visiting Google Voice. We're not yet open for users outside the US."

Yes, it's possible to do something of a work-around, especially if you sign up when you're visiting the US, but otherwise it's not easy; Google seems pretty good at geo-locating non-US users.

I'm still getting that message: "Thanks for visiting Google Voice. We're not yet open for users outside the US."

Yes, it's possible to do something of a work-around, especially if you sign up when you're visiting the US, but otherwise it's not easy; Google seems pretty good at geo-locating non-US users.

Not doing any sort of work around... (That I know of...)

In Chiang Mai....

249682-819201170150pm.png

Pray tell me how you made this conclusion? Most users (including me) in Thailand get this :

post-52310-0-31585100-1313769192_thumb.p

Google Voice and Gmail Chat are not available in Thailand yet!

There is another thread about this related topic here:

http://www.thaivisa....l__google+voice

This is the 3rd time this claim has been made and only a very few people could only use it and usually for a short time.

The only assured way to use it is through a VPN that gives you a US IP address.

Google still states:

The Gmail Call Phone functionality is NOT currently available in the following locations:

Argentina

China

Cuba

Egypt

Ghana

India

Iran

Jordan

Kenya

Mexico

Morocco

Myanmar

Nigeria

North Korea

Peru

Russian Federation

Saudi Arabia

Senegal

South Korea

Sudan

Syria

Thailand

United Arab Emirates

Viet Nam

You need to substantiate your claim. ;)

Edited by BB1950

I think you might have hit on the secret. The people who are getting it, may have signed up for Gmail when they were in the US.

Pray tell me how you made this conclusion? Most users (including me) in Thailand get this :

post-52310-0-31585100-1313769192_thumb.p

Google Voice and Gmail Chat are not available in Thailand yet!

There is another thread about this related topic here:

http://www.thaivisa....l__google+voice

This is the 3rd time this claim has been made and only a very few people could only use it and usually for a short time.

The only assured way to use it is through a VPN that gives you a US IP address.

You need to substantiate your claim before posting such claim. ;)

See the above post.

The only guess I can make is they're selectively allowing some users to use it for testing until rolling it out full scale... Like Google+ or Gmail when it first came out.

Apologize if I jumped the gun, but it's working fine here with no VPN or anything of the sort.

I think you might have hit on the secret. The people who are getting it, may have signed up for Gmail when they were in the US.

It's possible... But up until an hour ago, I was getting the same message as what was posted above... .(Blah blah not open to Thailand yet)

It's possible... But up until an hour ago, I was getting the same message as what was posted above... .(Blah blah not open to Thailand yet)

I'm trying to nail this down. Where did you sign up for your Gmail/Google account? The US or Thailand? How long ago did you sign up for Google? Who is your ISP?

Edited by BB1950

I'm trying to nail this down. Where did you sign up for your Gmail/Google account? The US or Thailand? How long ago did you sign up for Google? Who is your ISP?

I signed up in Thailand and still get the Google call OK. No proxy by the way.

How long ago did you sign up for your Google account? Who is your service provider? Are you in Bangkok?

Edited by BB1950

How long ago did you sign up for your Google account? Who is your service provider? Are you in Bangkok?

I signed up in Bangkok, but now in Pattaya, using Hutch now True I believe.

Have been with gmail since it was beta invite only...Regular broadband, not 3G... signed up in US... guess it's a moot point since BKRick signed up in Thailand....

Again, just a guess, but perhaps they're rolling it out slowly...

Have been with gmail since it was beta invite only...Regular broadband, not 3G... signed up in US... guess it's a moot point since BKRick signed up in Thailand....

Again, just a guess, but perhaps they're rolling it out slowly...

Who is your service provider?

I'm not sure if they are rolling it out slowly or testing it. Some people in the past lost it a few weeks later. ;)

Just for the record, I'm on TOT ADSL in Pattaya and it's not available to me. Presently I'm accessing Google through Malaysia. It just now changed to Singapore, but I still can't use Google Voice.

Edited by BB1950

I was just thinking about something that both happysanook and bangkokrick mentioned Google+. If I recall you can only use Google+ by invite only. I also recall hearing the Google+ was integrating Google Voice. Maybe both of them use Google+ and that is the reason they are able to use Google Voice in Thailand? :rolleyes:

It would be interesting to hear feedback about this. Are only Google+ users able to use Google Voice in Thailand without the use of a VPN?

Edited by BB1950

I was just thinking about something that both happysanook and bangkokrick mentioned Google+. If I recall you can only use Google+ by invite only. I also recall hearing the Google+ was integrating Google Voice. Maybe both of them use Google+ and that is the reason they are able to use Google Voice in Thailand? :rolleyes:

It would be interesting to hear feedback about this. Are only Google+ users able to use Google Voice in Thailand without the use of a VPN?

Another good guess, but I haven't yet been able to get onto Google+...Not that I've tried that hard.

Perhaps you're right about "just testing it" vs rolling it out slowly... I can't imagine them giving it and taking it back, but will see...

Will keep this thread updated if I happen to lose it...

Edited by happysanook

Another good guess, but I haven't yet been able to get onto Google+...Not that I've tried that hard.

Perhaps you're right about "just testing it" vs rolling it out slowly... I can't imagine them giving it and taking it back, but will see...

Thanks. :jap:

Thanks. :jap:

Still have it this morning... :) And update on ISP...Didn't answer because wasn't sure...(at a friend's guest house, and no they don't have any VPN setup, they barely could install antivirus software let alone VPN...i'm their "computer guy")...On True same BKrick

Edited by happysanook

Still have it this morning... :) And update on ISP...Didn't answer because wasn't sure...(at a friend's guest house, and no they don't have any VPN setup, they barely could install antivirus software let alone VPN...i'm their "computer guy")...On True same BKrick

So let me clarify this. BKrick, you, and your friend are able to use Google Voice with True using a dongle? Is the dongle connection 2G (EDGE/GPRS) or 3G?

It's starting to look as though True might be providing an IP address that Google is happy with, rather than a test rollout. You should be able to use Google Voice as long as True continues to provide you with that IP address. You all are very fortunate. :thumbsup:

I'm jealous :crying:

Edited by BB1950

So let me clarify this. BKrick, you, and your friend are able to use Google Voice with True using a dongle? Is the dongle 2G (EDGE/GPRS) or 3G?

It's starting to look as though True might be providing an IP address that Google is happy with, rather than a test rollout. You should be able to use Google Voice as long as True continues to provide you with that IP address. You all are very fortunate.:thumbsup:

My dongle runs CDMA and EVDO and was originally provided by Hutch. (Now True) Works fine for me and also I don't have any other option in the area where I live.

My dongle runs CDMA and EVDO and was originally provided by Hutch. (Now True) Works fine for me and also I don't have any other option in the area where I live.

Thanks for the update. :jap:

Goes to show sometimes there's an advantage to a disadvantage ;)

Edited by BB1950

So let me clarify this. BKrick, you, and your friend are able to use Google Voice with True using a dongle? Is the dongle connection 2G (EDGE/GPRS) or 3G?

It's starting to look as though True might be providing an IP address that Google is happy with, rather than a test rollout. You should be able to use Google Voice as long as True continues to provide you with that IP address. You all are very fortunate. :thumbsup:

It could be an accident altogether, or it could be they're slowly rolling it out, or could be True is riggin' it somehow as you mention. Or could be none of the above... but came across this today after a Trillian update.

"This morning we woke up to some issues with Google Talk and Trillian. It looks like Google rolled out a new version of their servers that changed the way they use XML namespaces within XMPP ..."

Link: http://blog.trillian.im/?p=2212

Curious it happened on the same day that Google Talk became available..But perhaps it's just coincidental ..

Edited by happysanook

It could be an accident altogether, or it could be they're slowly rolling it out, or could be True is riggin' it somehow as you mention. Or could be none of the above... but came across this today after a Trillian update.

"This morning we woke up to some issues with Google Talk and Trillian. It looks like Google rolled out a new version of their servers that changed the way they use XML namespaces within XMPP ..."

Link: http://blog.trillian.im/?p=2212

Curious it happened on the same day that Google Talk became available..But perhaps it's just coincidental ..

I suspect it's coincidence.

Thanks for the update. :jap:

Goes to show sometimes there's an advantage to a disadvantage ;)

That is very true BB. I am happy with my lot, so to speak.