Overheads For Running A Small Bar

I gave up with non B immig visas because its a scam. Theyre not really one year at all. You have to do a visa run to the border every three months so its basically a 3 month visa that you roll over 4 times per annum.

:cheesy: ..pray tell how they are a scam ? they are really valid for year...validity and length of stay permitted are not the same.....its a 12 months visa, which allows you 90 days a time per visit...cant see the scam in that.

Now if you are on a extension of stay for work, you never have to leave the country and do any visa runs

So what exactly are you doing now for a visa or have just not bothered because all visa's are a scam ?

A 12 month visa should go for 1 year not 3 months which is the case with a b immig visa.If you only had to report to local officals then you could call it a genuine 1 year visa . But you can't so its not !

You need to read the instructionson the box old boy.....the visa is valid for 12 months, so it is a 12 month visa, and it allows you 90 days per visit in country, this is no different from any other Thai visa's.

The system works very well if it is used as intended, a visa is not intended as a vehicle to stay permanently in a country, and in Thailand the vehicle to stay in country without leaving is the extension of stay system for non-immigrants.

If you are reporting to immigration every 90 days in country, you are not on a visa per se...you are on extension of stay, eg the last time I had a "valid" Non-imm B for work was about 7 years ago when I changed companies and had to get a single entry Non-imm B and went back on extension of stay under the new company

BTW how are you doing it now then....if all visa's are scams ?

The system if used properly is actually very easy, the problems appear to start when people try and abuse the system for what ever reason and then they start crying victim/not fair/they dont understand/i want to be treated differently...;)

I gave up with non B immig visas because its a scam. Theyre not really one year at all. You have to do a visa run to the border every three months so its basically a 3 month visa that you roll over 4 times per annum.

:cheesy: ..pray tell how they are a scam ? they are really valid for year...validity and length of stay permitted are not the same.....its a 12 months visa, which allows you 90 days a time per visit...cant see the scam in that.

Now if you are on a extension of stay for work, you never have to leave the country and do any visa runs

So what exactly are you doing now for a visa or have just not bothered because all visa's are a scam ?

A 12 month visa should go for 1 year not 3 months which is the case with a b immig visa.If you only had to report to local officals then you could call it a genuine 1 year visa . But you can't so its not !

I take it you've never heard of 'extensions of stay'?

Edited by samran

I take it you've never heard of 'extensions of stay'?

Probably thinks someone is scamming him out of 1,900 baht. LOL.

It amazes me that people insist on perpetuating this myth that you can't run a bar in Thailand without getting your arm twisted by the boys in brown to the extent that it puts you out of business. What a load of nonsense. If you are running a legit small bar, you're not high a profile go-go or nightclub turning over fortunes, you're not running girls out of the place or looking to attract the late night crowd and extend your hours beyond the drinking curfews, you have all your licenses and permits in place, you are highly unlikely to be bothered at all.

You may get an initial visit from the local cop who tries it on but if everything's legitimate, and your Thai "spokesperson" (wife, business partner, manager or whoever) is switched on enough to know how to handle a situation like this, then u just stand your ground, but you do so in a nice way so that he knows he can always swing by for a coffee or game of pool (on the house) and is always welcome but he's not getting a month;y kickback just because he asks for one, nor is he coming down after work every night with all his buddies getting a free booze-up.

What you will probably find over time, however, is that you encounter some kind of incident - work permit infraction, fight in the bar, disgruntled ex-employee etc. etc. at which point your local cop comes to the rescue (and I'm not saying it's necessarily staged) and you decide that it's probably not such a bad thing to send a couple of quid his way every month so that you know who to call when the next incident occurs, and also so that if the name of your bar comes up in conversation with his colleagues he can let them know that "you're taken care of". If it's a small bar with small margins like you're suggesting I'd be surprised if you'd pay more that 1,000 - 1,500 per month. If that puts you out of business, well, he's probably done you a favour.

You are contradicting yourself.

Contradicting myself how exactly? I've opened by saying that in my experience everyone tells you that the amount you have to pay to the BIB when you open a bar will cripple your business and that in my experience this is a load of nonsense. Show me where I've contradicted that viewpoint.

Ok, Details, details. Wouldn't it be nice if the BIB were interested in doing their jobs without extra compensation? In fact, they go for the easy mark rather than actually doing their job.