Forwarding Mail From Usa...

ChrisP

I have all mail from IRA, IRS, retirement, Credit Card sent to my Thai address (although most is done on-line so no need for mail). The only mail I have not changed is my US bank account which I use sister address (but again statements are on-line) so only mail of importance is debit card every couple of years.

Change the address to that of a trusted friend/relative and

have them bulk it up, and send on by a secure method.  :o

But be cautious. I had a batch of mail send by FedEx last year and I was charged duty on it. Yep, FedEx said customs wanted B2200 to release my forwarded mail and they told me to take it or leave it. They're such helpful folks at FedEx. I wonder what they do with themselves when they aren't pimping bribes for customs?

For those expats from the USA.. how do you handle the mundane things such as forwarding your mail from your US banks, investment houses, IRS, Social Sec, credit cards etc..  Do you just give them all a Thailand address.. or..?

ChrisP

Are you moving here permanently?

Another option is to get a "mailbox" at a UPS Store (the old Mailboxes, etc.). This shows as a street address so you can order stuff on-line and have it shipped there. (Be sure to change your mailing address with your credit card company first.) They will also optionally aggregate mail and then forward it to you in Thailand. (I have a friend pick my mail up at the UPS store and hold it for me, I return to the U.S.A. every three months, and she emails me if something important shows up. I have a trip planned for end-November so I'm starting to order "supplies" now!)

Watch out for a Jury Duty Summons, and if you plan to avoid State taxes try to get yourself removed from the voter registration records, and/or otherwise change your domicile. (This may only work on a State-by-State basis; I'm from Massachusetts. I think you can still vote in national elections?)

You can get a P.O. Box at a Mailboxes, Etc. type place here, or at a nearby Thai Post Office.

Nearly all the records mentioned can be modified for electronic delivery; bills can of course be paid on-line.

I live permanantly in Thailand. I changed everything to the address of my home in thailand. I get all my mail, and even c redit and debit cards when they expire.

The trick with Fed Ex is if anyone ships you anything via fed ex have them write for personal use only on the bill of laiding, and thier will be no charge for customs. I ordered my contact lenses from Los Angeles, because they can't make them in Thailand. Fed Ex delivered them right to my house. 2nd day, 1500 baht. If you don't have for personal use only they assume you are reselling. You must have a non o or a non B visa to do this.

Barry