Uk Visit Visa For 6Mths..

If the UK 'general' visit visa was issued for 6 months, would it be acceptable to bring my partner to the UK on an 'open return' ticket?

We plan on looking at a visit visa first, then afterwards, concentrate on making settlement visa - as I believe this may look more favourably with the VOS when the time comes. This also gives her the opportunity to see the UK beforehand.

So for those who have brought their partners to the UK on a general visit visa before, were you asked to provide a confirmed date of return once at the UK border, or was the open return ticket accepted? Also, when booking their flight, was it cheaper to book directly with British Airways, for example, or use a Thai travel agency when booking the flights?

Many thanks :jap:

On the visa application they ask for a proposed UK entry and exit dates. The visa comes through valid for a 180 stay in the UK.

We put dates which gave us 3 months in the UK. At the Border Control Manchester the officer just confirmed verbally that my Thai partner was staying for three months, there was no air ticket check.

Her Visa came through valid from the day it was approved, not from out stated date of travel. In our case it was no problem, but I could foresee problems if you want a six month stay, since it's not advisable to book flights until you have the visa.

You just put dates on the online proforma, it does not matter how long she actually stays as long as it is not over the period of the visa. Remember you get the ticket after the Visa, so the Embassy is not aware of what ticket you buy. If you inform them the reasons for such a long stay, and also inform them she will return so as not to look bad for the granting of a settlement visa, then should be okay.

I took my wife to the UK, the guy just asked where we were staying, did not want to see tickets.

Edited by beano2274

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys - appreciated :)

Of course I wouldn't dream about buying a ticket before the visit visa was granted. It's just that I was unsure whether or not an open return ticket would be accepted. As it happens she will come for her first Christmas here in the UK. Should be a nice time for all!

I checked out British Airway's website and they quote 41,000 baht for a return ticket in December. Thai airways wants 52,000 baht and as for EVA their website is just useless....

Any advice regarding where might be better to book this flight ?

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys - appreciated :)

Of course I wouldn't dream about buying a ticket before the visit visa was granted. It's just that I was unsure whether or not an open return ticket would be accepted. As it happens she will come for her first Christmas here in the UK. Should be a nice time for all!

I checked out British Airway's website and they quote 41,000 baht for a return ticket in December. Thai airways wants 52,000 baht and as for EVA their website is just useless....

Any advice regarding where might be better to book this flight ?

Generally the Mid East airlines offer good deals, Qatar or Ethiad.

Etihad are offering around 30,000, check out their website, might be a bit crowded on the first leg from BKK to AUH. Egyptair offer cheap flights as well, and Gulf air have discounts on at the moment too (not too sure about them though, by reading airlinequality.com). My wife and I used Etihad was okay but not fantastic, but adequate.

Travel dates are in December - the most expensive time of year :whistling:

Etihad is coming out at 39,000 baht with two short stop overs. Might be worthwhile paying that little bit extra for a BA flight - at least it will be direct...

Thai airways is really expensive. Probably the most expensive economy flight I have found thus far..

Just ensure you put that in the future you intend to apply for a settlement visa upon her return.As for the flight just mark on the VAF the dates she intends to arrive and depart the UK.

Use the extra information box if required.

This little gem of knowledge would have saved my wife and daughter being held at Heathrow after we got married. They went back to Thailand to sort out schools/dentist etc and returned using the marriage visit visa. The IO decided they were planning to try to apply for settlement whilst in the UK and refused to believe them or me that we were heading back to Thailand later in the summer!

It took our MP to sort this one out.

I suspect none of that would have happened if we had put that information into that box!