Retirement In Chiangmai Or Khon Kaen?

Nikki1611

Hi, I have 7 years more to semi-retire and at this stage i'm choosing my destination whether it should be Chiangmai or Khon Kaen.

I work in the media (TV station) in one of the SEAsian expensive busy city and would love to do some TV production work part-time or write when I semi-retire.

I am familiar with Chiangmai and I kinda know what to look for; there are international hotels and also an international airport should i need to fly back home in case of emergencies. Can anybody who lives in Khon Kaen advise me what I can look for if i semi-retire there? Would i have a chance to write or do TV production work in English in Khon Kaen? I'm learning to write Thai now and do speak simple Thai as of today. BTW, I'm a woman if that makes any difference. Thanks for any advice given.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks for the replies. It doesnt matter about visas coz im familiar with the visas. No issue there. It's a friend of mine who likes Issan and asked me to consider coz I was told Issan is a nice {?) and the people are nice etc. I wont settle just on those points and i cant find much info on the net except for waterfalls and the nature it can offer? what about infrastructure? are there malls? I will be visiting one of the issan province one day. just want a heads up from those who are familiar with Issan.

@ NancyL; : Thanks for your input. I'm from Singapore. I fly often to Thailand every other month hence I actually dont need a retirement visa coz i would flying back to Singapore too in future if i decide to retire in Chiangmai.

and would love to do some TV production work part-time

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but how do you propose to do the above within the requirements of the Work Permit rules? You would need a business 'B' visa to start with, then either your own Thai company or employed by a Thai company.

Sometimes, great ideas can be quickly shot down in flames by the Thai work/visa rules :(

Simon

Khon Kaen has good hotels and hospitals.

Tesco, Big C, Makro ,Global Home,Index etc. Shopping malls including a new Central Plaza. Multi Plex cinema.

Airport with flights only to Bangkok. (3 a day). Train Station.

A large university.

Just to add to Litebeers post - Khon Kaen is "GROWING BY THE DAY" we have all of what Litebeer said plus more, it is identified as the centre of Issan and rumoured to be the North South/East West cross roads in the future.

I will hang my neck out by saying that by the amount of money being invested in Khon Kaen it will upgrade the airport to international within the next 10 years.

I agree with the friend of the OP's Issan people are very friendly and welcome genuine farangs my advice come and visit have a look decide for yourself.

We have lived here for several years now and no complaints, before the resident TV knockers get on their soapboxes - yes my wife is Thai yes we have been married for some time and No she (my wife) does not come frome Issan we came here on invite some 6/7 years ago liked what we experienced and are happy to promote KK as a possible place to live - remember each to their own. :ph34r:

post-1626-0-90614900-1313978135_thumb.jp

Tesco, Big C, Makro ,Global Home,Index etc. Shopping malls including a new Central Plaza. Multi Plex cinema.

A large university.

Just to add to Litebeers post - Khon Kaen is "GROWING BY THE DAY" we have all of what Litebeer said plus more, it is identified as the centre of Issan and rumoured to be the North South/East West cross roads in the future.

I will hang my neck out by saying that by the amount of money being invested in Khon Kaen it will upgrade the airport to international within the next 10 years.

I agree with the friend of the OP's Issan people are very friendly and welcome genuine farangs my advice come and visit have a look decide for yourself.

We have lived here for several years now and no complaints, before the resident TV knockers get on their soapboxes - yes my wife is Thai yes we have been married for some time and No she (my wife) does not come frome Issan we came here on invite some 6/7 years ago liked what we experienced and are happy to promote KK as a possible place to live - remember each to their own. :ph34r:

Thanks Mijan24 for posting. My partner and I are not farangs; we are SE Asians but i believe the locals would welcome us too. I am glad to know more infrastructure will be build in the near future. I will come to KK and take a look how life is. I'm not into too laid back coz have been living in a Singapore all my life where things are fast paced and almost perfect and too sanitized. Thanks again for your input. regards

A large university.

Do you have big electric bills? I mean no shadow or trees, looks kinda hot (ish). :)

Why on earth would you even consider Khon Kaen? :unsure:

Nothing wrong with Khon kaen! Always had a great time there.

Growing by the day. Not sure that I would go along with the International airport prediction of a previous poster but I do predict good things for KK in the future.

Hey, how refreshing to see another Singaporean here.

If I were you, I'd stay in both:

CM during the cooler/winter period, and then maybe KK if you're really set on it any time else. You won't want to be in CM when it fills with smoke every year, or during the intermittent floods. :)

A large university.

+1...been living in Khon Kaen now for 4 years rolleyes.gif...everything you could wish for and more you can find in KK.

and now they are in the process of building a big tesco super store just out side the ring road ... lets.Hope they bring,,, SUBWAY,,to khon Kaenlicklips.gif

Khon Kaen and Chiang Mai is like night and day. Once has Laos decendants the other Chinese, two very different cultures. If you really want to decide then why don´t you go and spend some time in Khon Kaen to see if its really for you since you are already familiar with CM.

It depends on what you find important. Isaan has pretty featureless terrain but really nice people. The north and Chiang Mai has pretty nice people, though they're a bit "tricky". In terms of terrain it's no contest. Chiang Mai is one of the most beautiful places one could ever visit. Khon Kaen may be a bit cheaper.

I'm a woman married to a khon kaen native. we will def be moving there in the next few years with our son. Not retirement age but I think KK has a lot to offer. CM is also lovely but I find is is just too far for travel around the rest of the country. One of the things I like about KK is it is only 6 hrs drive/bus to BKK or an hours flight. It also has alot of western amenities whilst still retaining it's feel of real thai life.

I would suggest spending as much time in both places over the next 7 years & then make the decision based on your own experiences.

Greetings Nikki and welcome to our board on everything Thailand :)

Ok ,down to business, you have a BIG choice to make. Ok, not life and death materials, but you gota feel comfortable with the surroundings where you will be spending your time ,right? For me, this question you have posed here is an easy one to answer. Simply, Chiang Mai is where you should be. Why, you might ask. Well where do I start. Firstly, Chiang Mai has almost everythings you could wish for in my opinions. You got all the amenities you need, large hospitals, shopping malls, supermarkets, bars/discos, airport, international schools etc etc. Not enough I hear you say ? Ok, what about the magnificent sceneries! Mountains all around, elephants, villages, hill tribes etc etc. Does Khon Kaen have all these things? Ummm ,I think not unfortuantely for them.

But for you, you could very well be in luck if you choose the wonderful Chiang Mai district as your retirement home. Why not give it try, you may just BE pleasantly surprised :)

Good lucks and peace, daMaven

Edited by Benayahu

"...now they are in the process of building a big tesco super store just out side the ring road..."

KKC already has 1 large Tesco and at least 4 smaller ones.

Where off the ring road are they building it?

if you are coming from udon thani to khon kaen.

Then you will have a ring road which i think you can make a turn to go to Kalasin...about 2 - 3 kilometers before you start coming towards the lights for the turning to KKU

Yes KK as 1 tesco lotus ...4 smaller ones are tesco express..this one is going to be tesco superstore.

By the looks of things its going to be Massive... they.will have a new state of the art cinema... shopping mall ..with all your usual fast food joints Pizza , McDonald,,.KFC ...fingers crossed for a Subway licklips.gif

well thats what i have been told.... Thais could very well change there mind at the last minute...and make it in to God knows what biggrin.gif

Interesting .I came to live in Thailand in 1989. I wanted to get away from ALL of these western influences ,you are raving about. I have never been in a macs, once in a kfc( awful shit, Thai cooked chicken is so much better), never in a pizza hut, once in a pizza company. What crap it was. Tried a burger king ,NEVER again. This country is called THAILAND. I came here to live in THAILAND.Not some quasi "americana crap" country. Yes ,I do eat some western food ,AND Indian . but not S"h38"t. None comes from "fast food " sources.Unless it is Thai fast food , cooked by Thais, Great - I love it. So, I live in a small village , totally FREE of all this Sh&t. I live in Thailand. Not americana. There is enough corruption in this country ,without you lot forcibly corrupting it further.and destroying it.

^^Have you ever been to Khon Kaen?

Greetings to you. To answer your questions ,no I have never been to Khon Kaen. I have read about it on the internet though. Ok ,so it is not such a bad place from my readings, but surely it can not compare to Chiang Mai, particularly when it comes to the magnificent sceneries we are able to find in the north's most beautiful city. Heck it is not just me who thinks this. So so many expats live in Chiang Mai for a reason. Why you ask? Well ,there is everything we need there, plus still only 1 hour flights to Bangkok.

Ok, I know I am bias, but believe me, once you go to Chiang Mai to visit, you not wana go any where else to live! I think the original poster, Nikki, can not do better than choosing CM, but of course, it is her decision.

peace and happy travellings, daMaven.

Interesting .I came to live in Thailand in 1989. I wanted to get away from ALL of these western influences ,you are raving about. I have never been in a macs, once in a kfc( awful shit, Thai cooked chicken is so much better), never in a pizza hut, once in a pizza company. What crap it was. Tried a burger king ,NEVER again. This country is called THAILAND. I came here to live in THAILAND.Not some quasi "americana crap" country. Yes ,I do eat some western food ,AND Indian . but not S"h38"t. None comes from "fast food " sources.Unless it is Thai fast food , cooked by Thais, Great - I love it. So, I live in a small village , totally FREE of all this Sh&t. I live in Thailand. Not americana. There is enough corruption in this country ,without you lot forcibly corrupting it further.and destroying it.

Over decades, I've always been quite astounded [even put back] by those, be they travellers or residents, whom insist to remaking Thailand [and Asia] in their belove Western image.

If one desires a Western lifestyle with all those beloved Western items and atmosphere then it would probably befit these individuals to be in the West.

Over decades, I've always been quite astounded [even put back] by those, be they travellers or residents, whom insist to remaking Thailand [and Asia] in their belove Western image.

If one desires a Western lifestyle with all those beloved Western items and atmosphere then it would probably befit these individuals to be in the West.

Maybe you guys can sell that PC malarkey to all the immigrants to the US and UK who start restaurants and businesses with food and art from their home country and make everything more interesting. White man's burden and all that. :rolleyes: