Retirement In Chiangmai Or Khon Kaen?

Nikki1611

No comparisson between Khon Kaen and the Developed cities of Thailand.

Being a foreigner and used to Singapore lifestyle, you would easily be bored and frustrated with KK.

Better to consider a more foreign developed area of Thailand to retire.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting .I came to live in Thailand in 1989. I wanted to get away from ALL of these western influences ,you are raving about. I have never been in a macs, once in a kfc( awful shit, Thai cooked chicken is so much better), never in a pizza hut, once in a pizza company. What crap it was. Tried a burger king ,NEVER again. This country is called THAILAND. I came here to live in THAILAND.Not some quasi "americana crap" country. Yes ,I do eat some western food ,AND Indian . but not S"h38"t. None comes from "fast food " sources.Unless it is Thai fast food , cooked by Thais, Great - I love it. So, I live in a small village , totally FREE of all this Sh&t. I live in Thailand. Not americana. There is enough corruption in this country ,without you lot forcibly corrupting it further.and destroying it.

Over decades, I've always been quite astounded [even put back] by those, be they travellers or residents, whom insist to remaking Thailand [and Asia] in their belove Western image.

If one desires a Western lifestyle with all those beloved Western items and atmosphere then it would probably befit these individuals to be in the West.

Maybe you guys can sell that PC malarkey to all the immigrants to the US and UK who start restaurants and businesses with food and art from their home country and make everything more interesting. White man's burden and all that. :rolleyes:

I've got a couple of mates who own Thai restaurants back home and even on their days off the staff are knocking back plates of noodles or somtam and not tucking in to toad in the hole, cod and chips or black pudding.

To be honest I can't imagine many immigrant families in the UK sitting down to a Sunday roast with all the trimmings either. Can't see some Chinese granny lovingly peeling the spuds and boiling the Brussel sprouts!

I like Khon Kaen. It's a friendly, small town that doesn't suffer much from any field-burning pollution in March. It has an airport, so it's almost just as quick to get on an international flight as from Chiang Mai. (Very few direct international flights, which are on again-off again.)

If I wasn't married I would consider Khon Kaen for retirement, though I would have to learn the language.

Greetings Nikki and welcome to our board on everything Thailand :)

Ok ,down to business, you have a BIG choice to make. Ok, not life and death materials, but you gota feel comfortable with the surroundings where you will be spending your time ,right? For me, this question you have posed here is an easy one to answer. Simply, Chiang Mai is where you should be. Why, you might ask. Well where do I start. Firstly, Chiang Mai has almost everythings you could wish for in my opinions. You got all the amenities you need, large hospitals, shopping malls, supermarkets, bars/discos, airport, international schools etc etc. Not enough I hear you say ? Ok, what about the magnificent sceneries! Mountains all around, elephants, villages, hill tribes etc etc. Does Khon Kaen have all these things? Ummm ,I think not unfortuantely for them.

But for you, you could very well be in luck if you choose the wonderful Chiang Mai district as your retirement home. Why not give it try, you may just BE pleasantly surprised :)

Good lucks and peace, daMaven

Fortunately i have lived in both and Khon Kaen offers everything that Chiang Mai has and more but of course in a different way,everyone has there own lifestyle so you have to live it to make the correct choice.

On the new Tesco at the back of the University on Mitrhap Road.........

The 300-million-baht Tesco Lotus Extra will be the first of its kind in Asia.

It is a pilot project that UK-based Tesco Group hopes to apply to other markets in Asia, especially South Korea and China.

"We aim to set new standards for modern retail business in Thailand with our Tesco Lotus Extra stores," said Chris Bush, CEO of Tesco Lotus.

Tesco Lotus Extra will offer extra shops, extra product ranges and extra services, he said.

The company will feature 120 permanent and temporary shops including one-stop shopping for financial and insurance services.

About 13,000 premium and new products such as fresh foods, clothing, imported toys, and electronics with quality similar to those offered at department stores, have been added.

Other attractions will include free WiFi for Clubcard holders and special parking spaces for the elderly.

Mr Bush said that the expectations of Thai consumers have been rising all the time. They expect great prices, great products and great service. They are looking for exciting and at the same time relaxing shopping environments. Tesco Lotus Extra is intended to respond their demand.

The company plans to open its second Tesco Lotus Extra in Khon Kaen, costing 400-500 million baht, in October or November. The new store would occupy more than 23,000 square metres.

The company plans to convert five or six existing Tesco Lotus stores to Extra every year.

Sompong Rungnirattisai, the company's property director, said Tesco Lotus would drop its underperforming Khum Kha format, and will gradually convert all 30 existing Khum Kha stores into Tesco Lotus original concept stores within the next three years.

Interesting .I came to live in Thailand in 1989. I wanted to get away from ALL of these western influences ,you are raving about. I have never been in a macs, once in a kfc( awful shit, Thai cooked chicken is so much better), never in a pizza hut, once in a pizza company. What crap it was. Tried a burger king ,NEVER again. This country is called THAILAND. I came here to live in THAILAND.Not some quasi "americana crap" country. Yes ,I do eat some western food ,AND Indian . but not S"h38"t. None comes from "fast food " sources.Unless it is Thai fast food , cooked by Thais, Great - I love it. So, I live in a small village , totally FREE of all this Sh&t. I live in Thailand. Not americana. There is enough corruption in this country ,without you lot forcibly corrupting it further.and destroying it.

I´m quite confused regarding your post. What was that all about?

First of all, as far as I know Pizza Company isn´t actually "American", it's Thai version of Pizza hut and the Thais actually fusion their own food with most farang restaurants like KFC. For example can you buy KFC Yam in US?

Many Thais actually believe that KFC is a Thai franchise and not American and are stunned when I reveal the horrible truth.

Junk food culture is in every country in the world and you can´t blame the Americans for spreading their franchise , we have alot of Europeans doing the same thing as well. For Thais is sth cool and sth hi-so since most people that live in rural areas don't know anything about foreigners. There sure is alot of Thai restaurants here so if you don´t like these kinds of franchise, just avoid it, no need for bashing.

Fortunately i have lived in both and Khon Kaen offers everything that Chiang Mai has and more

Nothing against Khon Kaen, but this is BS. It does not offer anywhere close to the number of decent foreign restaurants, used bookstores, English language libraries, cheap English language cable TV options and a number of of other things that Chiang Mai does. It does have its own advantages for some people though.

Edited by Ulysses G.

First of all, as far as I know Pizza Company isn´t actually "American", it's Thai version of Pizza hut and the Thais actually fusion their own food with most farang restaurants like KFC. For example can you buy KFC Yam in US?

Many Thais actually believe that KFC is a Thai franchise and not American and are stunned when I reveal the horrible truth.

Junk food culture is in every country in the world and you can´t blame the Americans for spreading their franchise , we have alot of Europeans doing the same thing as well. For Thais is sth cool and sth hi-so since most people that live in rural areas don't know anything about foreigners. There sure is alot of Thai restaurants here so if you don´t like these kinds of franchise, just avoid it, no need for bashing.

Yes ,it is. and the pizzas are AWFUL. I certainly do blame the septic tanks. For spreading their franchise, Delivering crap ,and charging obscene prices. Junk food culture is delivering obesity ,heart attack and early death ,to an otherwise very healthy society. Except for sugar. The Thais ,per capita, are the biggest consumers of sugar in the world. Already ,with no long term exposure to the obesity levels of countries .u.s. eng., Oz..Upshot -diabetes ,type 2 is already the No.1 killer in Thailand.As Thailand moves up the "economic ladder", more Thais will become obese .Suffer an early death .By eating more poor quality food from u.s. franchises. You can see this already in the private schools in Bkk., where many male students CANNOT run , nor play any sport .Why ? Too Bloody Fat

Nothing against Khon Kaen, but this is BS. It does not offer anywhere close to the number of decent foreign restaurants, used bookstores, English language libraries, cheap English language cable TV options and a number of of other things that Chiang Mai does

you will be amazed to discover that for many people any/all of these things are not a requirement.

op should spend her time in both places for extended periods to decide. cm for me is a nice place to visit to get an overload of western exposure but Khon Kaen is the place I feel more at home.

Yes ,it is. and the pizzas are AWFUL. I certainly do blame the septic tanks. For spreading their franchise, Delivering crap ,and charging obscene prices. Junk food culture is delivering obesity ,heart attack and early death ,to an otherwise very healthy society. Except for sugar. The Thais ,per capita, are the biggest consumers of sugar in the world. Already ,with no long term exposure to the obesity levels of countries .u.s. eng., Oz..Upshot -diabetes ,type 2 is already the No.1 killer in Thailand.As Thailand moves up the "economic ladder", more Thais will become obese .Suffer an early death .By eating more poor quality food from u.s. franchises. You can see this already in the private schools in Bkk., where many male students CANNOT run , nor play any sport .Why ? Too Bloody Fat

Ya US fast food is awful but it could be worse. The Thais could have developed a craving for fish and chips and deep fried candy bars. :o

Fortunately i have lived in both and Khon Kaen offers everything that Chiang Mai has and more

Nothing against Khon Kaen, but this is BS. It does not offer anywhere close to the number of decent foreign restaurants, used bookstores, English language libraries, cheap English language cable TV options and a number of of other things that Chiang Mai does. It does have its own advantages for some people though.

Bullshit?

maybe there is not the same number of foreign restaurants but i can assure you or anybody that if you have lived here then there is plenty of places that you can get a farang food fix if that is what floats your boat,quality over quantity is always better wink.gif

Great used bookstore i was in one only yesterday,in the centre of town.

English language library!(the size of the university there will be an English section if needed) what do you need this for when you have the internet and a used bookstore? we are after all in Thailand not England.

English language cable Tv is available in Khon Kaen also.

I am not sure but the University here is one of the biggest in the country and covers a massive area the facilities are fantastic for this backward town!

I do like Chiang Mai but would not choose to live there,it does have some hills but so has Yorkshire,like you say it is up to the individual.

you will be amazed to discover that for many people any/all of these things are not a requirement.

op should spend her time in both places for extended periods to decide. cm for me is a nice place to visit to get an overload of western exposure but Khon Kaen is the place I feel more at home.

+1

While we own a condo in Chiang Mai & it is a lovely place....

Where I live in the US is a much more relaxed country setting.

As such when in Thailand a few months a year I find I enjoy staying at my inlaws home in the country

preferable in many ways. So yes I agree with Boo....It all depends on where you feel more at home.

Nothing against Khon Kaen, but this is BS. It does not offer anywhere close to the number of decent foreign restaurants, used bookstores, English language libraries, cheap English language cable TV options and a number of of other things that Chiang Mai does

He said that "Khon Kaen offers everything that Chiang Mai has and more" and it doesn't. I did not comment on which is a better place to live or which city the OP would prefer. ;)

Edited by Ulysses G.

He said that "Khon Kaen offers everything that Chiang Mai has and more" and it doesn't. I did not comment on which is a better place to live or which city the OP would prefer. ;)

This is true. How a comparison can made between the two is quite absurd.

CM will extend more Farang offerings that one could never expect to find in KK.

Bullshit?

Excuse me, but maybe you misread my post. I objected to your claim that, "Khon Kaen offers everything that Chiang Mai has and more." I did not say that Khon Kaen does not have these things at all. I said that Chiang Mai has far more of them and far more choice.

I get it that these things are not important to you, but the OP may feel differently and her needs is what the thread is about.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Don't you just love the 'gone native' farang.

Thais have yanky fast food places because they WANT them; it's not forced on them. Suggest if you want to get away from 'ALL of these western influences' move to the moon. ;)

Fortunately i have lived in both and Khon Kaen offers everything that Chiang Mai has and more but of course in a different way,everyone has there own lifestyle so you have to live it to make the correct choice.

The second part trumps the first. It doesn't have everything and more. It's a totally different set-up.

OP, bear in mind CM and KK are chalk 'n cheese; the latter wholly different from Singers, the former easy access to stunning scenery. Best bet is to try living in both for a few months. Direct flights between Sing-CM, though it's not such a big deal to change in Swampy (Suwanaphoom) for KK.

A lot of Thai food is not much better than the fast food junk that is pushed thru the various franchises.

A lot of Thai food has high fat,salt and sugar with not many vegetables and the cooking oil is often very poor quality.

We have lived here for several years now and no complaints, before the resident TV knockers get on their soapboxes - yes my wife is Thai yes we have been married for some time and No she (my wife) does not come frome Issan we came here on invite some 6/7 years ago liked what we experienced and are happy to promote KK as a possible place to live - remember each to their own. :ph34r:

{has attached picture (I assume) of his house}

Sorry, I have to ask, but is that a garage door opening onto the raised front yard (that appears to be inaccessible to cars?

To the OP, I have never been to CM, but I do like KK. And could probably settle there one day (although the wife desperately wants to live in Australia). The only thing I know about the two is that CM get's a bit colder at night - so I hear

Junk food culture is in every country in the world and you can´t blame the Americans for spreading their franchise , we have alot of Europeans doing the same thing as well.

Sure I can and I do.

Where did the junk food culture start?

Who packaged and marketed fast food franchises around the world?

Where did the Euros pickup the bad habit of western junk food?

It all lies at the feet of American business.

There have been Some good replies and some funny ones. There is a HUGE difference between actually LIVING in some location and visiting it on a holiday. Considering that rent is pretty cheep in Thailand I suggest staying in various locations for 6 months or more... DURING THE WORST POSSIBLE SEASON !... what ever that might be for the location you are interested in. Then, and only then make your decision on where to make a home. At least then you will know what to expect. Few people have the same interests or tastes, and what might be heaven for one person might be hell for another. I happen to enjoy Chiang Mai, and I found Khon Kaen rather boring, but that is just me. And, I don't even stay in Thailand for a full year.

Finally ! Someone with common sense & vision. I whole-heartedly agree with you and came here in '88 for the same reasons.

At least living in the boonies you're outside the catchment area of the satanic influences of KFC, Pizza Company and MCDonalds delivery.

Of course the local village dwellers, being free of the insidious evil that is western fast food, choose instead to idyll away their peaceful non-western influenced lives by destroying their bodies, mind and families with lao kao. :D

Of course the local village dwellers, being free of the insidious evil that is western fast food, choose instead to idyll away their peaceful non-western influenced lives by destroying their bodies, mind and families with lao kao. :D

Myth. Stereotype.

Haven't had much exposure to the savages and village life?

Well having lived in a village in KK for the past 11 years and witnessing first hand enough families dealing with alcohol abuse by one of the members Id have to politely disagree with you and say it's neither myth nor sterotype as far as my own two eyes can see. Of course not everyone is on the lash daily but there's a fair percentage who are.

The TV ad campaign fairly recently about the dangers of alcohol showing father sitting on the floor of the shack with a bottle in front of him raving while wife and daughter look on terrified would seem to support my idea. Hardly aimed at the shoppers at Siam Paragon wouldn't you concur?

Edited by mca

Actually it's not much of a choice. You can easily pickup and move anytime. Khon Kaen is one of the wealthiest areas of Isaan. It has everything you could possibly need. Chiang Mai is a nice scenic place as long as you live out of the city. The city is like Bangkok without any public transportation. No way would I live in that city.

Than again, why limit yourself to those two areas. Travel around to the different areas and choose for yourself.

"Have you ever heard of bangers and mash, meat pies or fried fish and chips? The Euros did not need any help."

Sausages and mashed potatoes are junk food? Meat pies? Since when!?

The earliest Western convenience food (not junk) was quite probably the Cornish pastie.

Don't get confused between junk and convenience foods.

As for KK and CM, best way is to a rent a place in each for a while and then choose...

In the OP, it refers to the OP as Singaporian working in TV media and would like to Retire and do some part time English TV work.

KK is hardly a haven for English Media.

Chaing Mai would be a much better choice given what the OP is asking for in doing some semi-retired work in the Media, and has asked about KK or CM.

That said, the only real place in Thailand where there is an active English Media is in Bangkok.

Also being Singaporian, the Op would be very frustrated in KK trying to find decent shopping and amenaties.

KK is great for those that enjoy Country life and limited Western Culture and shopping.

Reduculous some have taken this post to a Mud slingging match about fast food.

Edited by KimoMax

Now I will suggest something completely different, never mind incoming flak, he-he.

Try Pattaya, yes Pattaya. Never mind the +10.000 hookers, I don't use them myself as I am a family man with kids and all.

Here you have all the shopping you can imagine, the new Central is just aw some with lots of cheap Japanese restaurants and good shopping too, books- clothes and so on.

More and more Thais (mostly from BKK) are coming here in the weekends, some are even buying condos/houses because so much are going on, car shows- model (international) cat walks and the list goes on.

There is even a woman expat club here.

Close to BKK and swampy airport.

We have another house in the sticks some 60 km from SiSaket. I can stay there for max 4 days and I am bored out of my skull, he-he.

I like Thai food too but not every day, so in that regard Patts is perfect for me.

I do find CM very very nice, but the yearly burning of the fields in the whole area (Burma too) puts me off.

If I was you I would stay here a week to check yourself, you might run screaming away but you might like it too.