Iran sentences American citizens to 8 years in prison for espionage, illegal entry

News_Editor

Iran sentences American citizens to 8 years in prison for espionage, illegal entry

2011-08-22 06:07:23 GMT+7 (ICT)

TEHRAN (BNO NEWS) -- Iran has sentenced two American citizens to eight years in prison after they were convicted of espionage and illegal entry, prosecutors said on Sunday.

Several non-official Iranian media outlets had already reported on Saturday that the two American citizens were sentenced to prison, but the news was not confirmed until Sunday by Tehran Prosecutor-General Abbas Jafari Dolatabadi.

Dolatabadi said Shane Bauer and Joshua Fattal were sentenced to eight years in prison after being found guilty, but added that they still have 20 days to appeal the verdict. The news shattered earlier hopes in the United States that Iran would release the two as sentencing took place during the Holy month of Ramadan, which is also a time of forgiveness.

Bauer and Fattal were arrested in July 2009 along with Sarah Shourd when they crossed the border in Iraq's Kurdistan region into Iran. Iranian prosecutors charged them with entering the country illegally and having links to U.S. intelligence, a claim which the defendants and their families have repeatedly denied.

According to the detained Americans, they were hiking in Iraq when they unknowingly crossed the unmarked border into Iran where they were arrested by border guards. Iranian prosecutors have rejected those claims, saying there is 'compelling evidence' that they are spies.

Shourd was released on September 14, 2010, after 14 months of imprisonment. She was released on a $500,000 bail on 'medical concerns,' although no details were provided. Shourd has since returned home to the United States and does not plan to return to Iran to face trial.

In response to Sunday's news, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the United States is "deeply disappointed" by the sentencing. "We continue to call and work for their immediate release - it is time for them to return home and be reunited with their families," she said.

It was not immediately clear if Bauer and Fattal would receive credit for time already served.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-08-22

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is Washington complaining.Theyre no better. Ever heard of a place called GUTMO ? At least the Iranians gave them a trial .

Washington commits more human rights violations than most other countries yet that idiot woman Clinton stands up and makes it public that her government has submitted a superb report on human rights violators in every country in the world exept one....USA

Edited by jalansanitwong

I actually consider the sentence to be pretty lenient. They are either guilty of espionage or being stupid, either way, their sentence is lenient. And I am American and expect that my country will jump up and down over this; I am ashamed to say. More UN sanctions to follow. The hell of it is, I am not a fan of Iran. IN fact, I am anti-Iran in so many respects but I hate the hypocrisy.

Nobody seems to have a problem with the execution of Iranian nuclear scientists who received the maximum sentence for doing what they were educated to do, without a trial.

There is no justification for the incarceration. it is obvious that the 3 kids were idiots. They chose to ignore the warnings and they chose to enter a dangerous area. However, there is something terribly wrong when 2 of the kids end up as political hostages for a repressive regime. Unlike Gitmo detainees that harbour hatred for the west, i doubt that these kids had any ill will for Iran. They were probably the type that think Iranians are just misunderstood and that Islam is a religion of peace. If and when they are released they can go on a speaking tour and share their views.

They're being used as pawns. They are completely NOT GUILTY and shouldn't have spent one minute in prison. That said, they aren't really important in the larger picture and not worth going to war with Iran about. Plenty of other reasons for that!

Edited by Jingthing

If doing something stupid lands you in jail, then everyone would be in jail.

They were not doing espionage. Iran shows its extreme paranoia but putting the boys away for 8 years. Shame on them. They really are asking to be grouped with North Korea as mean-spirited icon worshipers.

could it be that the Iranians weren't so stupid as to actually believe they are hikers? :huh:

Oh Naam dont be so suspicious

Have you not read all the comment of their personal friends here who know for a fact they are innocent?

Just a couple of kids like thousands of others who hike in the back way to Iran everyday :whistling:

I bet that Raymond Davis guy probably hiked into Pakistan too.

Not too worry the US will probably bribe pay for their release soon like that Raymond fella

Innocent kids hiking in Iraq? Sure... I didn't realize Iraq was the newest spring break hotspot.

At least these "innocents" received a trial, as opposed to all those innocents being captured and tortured by the US regime over the last decade our so without a trial OR their relatives knowing anything about their whereabouts or what's happening with them. At least Iran has the courtesy to make these events public.

And of course the US regime just loves what's happening here; another sweet little propaganda tool, ready to used to get the ignorant masses back home behind yet another "humanitarian intervention" served on a silver platter by the Iranian government. "Look boys and girls, big bad Iran is now capturing and incarcerating our innocent holiday makers! Oh and they have big bombs as well, ready and waiting to used to kill us Americans! Oh, and they're killing peaceful protesters as well! Let's get in there and set things straight, shall we.". bah.gif

It's sad that most Americans don't realize that their own government is responsible for creating the hostile world in which we're living at the moment.

jap.gif

Edited by mjnaus

It's sad that most Americans don't realize that their own government is responsible for creating the hostile world in which we're living at the moment.

Yes, Americans are responsible for Nazi Germany, Stalin's purges, Mao and Pol Pot's slaughter, Iran killing its own citizens, the killing of students in Norway and Islamic terrorism. Someone is living in a dream world. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ulysses G.

Yes, Americans are responsible for Nazi Germany, Stalin's purges, Mao and Pol Pot's slaughter, Iran killing its own citizens, the killing of students in Norway and Islamic terrorism. Someone is living in a dream world. :rolleyes:

coffee1.gif

it is a shame no one has bothered to look into the students' backgrounds. These were a group that was very pro arab and sympathetic to Iran. They were active supporters of the anti war movement, supported various social "advancement" campaigns and were activists in the Palestine Solidarity Movement group. It is poetic justice that they are now held hostage by one of the groups they were sympathetic to. Perhaps this is why the Iranians think they are spies. In their eyes, how could any patriotic American support such groups?

Sarah Shourd worked with Iraqi war refugees in Syria and was no big fan of the US government and Shane Bauer wrote pro arab articles for various alternative news media outlets. Personally, I don't care about these prioners. They loved Kurdistan and the locals so much and now they get to spend 8 years learning to love the locals even more. I don't know why the US government should wast too much time on this lot. Let them rot.

could it be that the Iranians weren't so stupid as to actually believe they are hikers? :huh:

Have you not read all the comment of their personal friends here who know for a fact they are innocent?

Just a couple of kids like thousands of others who hike in the back way to Iran everyday :whistling:

Not too worry the US will probably bribe pay for their release soon like that Raymond fella

nobody knows whether they are innocent or not. however some plausible and rational reasons that they are not spies were posted by "geriatrickid". quite refreshing as opposed to the usual diverting and irrelevant BS posted (Insulted removed).

i just pointed out a possibility which is not necessarily my opinion. just some food for thoughts... what would have happened to some Iranians who crossed illegally the border to the Greatest Nation on Earth™ and then claimed to be hikers? in what "patriot act" prison would they be water boarded? :huh:

Edited by Scott
flame removed/Scott

what would have happened to some Iranians who crossed illegally the border to the Greatest Nation on Earth™ and then claimed to be hikers? in what "patriot act" prison would they be water boarded? :huh:

Well there is just that one water world prison known about...The one the current puppet promised to close when he was running for office.

it is a shame no one has bothered to look into the students' backgrounds. These were a group that was very pro arab and sympathetic to Iran. They were active supporters of the anti war movement, supported various social "advancement" campaigns and were activists in the Palestine Solidarity Movement group. It is poetic justice that they are now held hostage by one of the groups they were sympathetic to. Perhaps this is why the Iranians think they are spies. In their eyes, how could any patriotic American support such groups?

Sarah Shourd worked with Iraqi war refugees in Syria and was no big fan of the US government and Shane Bauer wrote pro arab articles for various alternative news media outlets. Personally, I don't care about these prioners. They loved Kurdistan and the locals so much and now they get to spend 8 years learning to love the locals even more. I don't know why the US government should wast too much time on this lot. Let them rot.

You can't seriously believe that none of us looked into their backgrounds. It now appears that you want them to "rot" based upon your politics ,not their Guilt. Guilt is determined by the court in whose jurisdiction the breach happens and has nothing to do my politics nor my opinion.

These were not children. Nobody in their right mind would wander off on foot in that particular part of the world.

It does sound like they are "useful idiots", but I still feel sorry for them despite their foolish political views.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Hmmm, And as a Brit I was always led to believe that Americans didn't do irony. ;) Still I guess from your description of the background of those detained they will readily develop Stockholm syndrome whilst incarcerated, whilst if I was a self-hating peacenik I would be tempted to conclude they were indeed spies to stop my own head exploding.

Having a bunch of websites online claiming you're the world greatest humanitarian does not make you innocent. Apparently, the Iranian judges for one didn't buy it.

Just take a look at who here is feigning belief in this absurd cover story. It speaks volumes.

I rest my case. :lol:

nobody knows whether they are innocent or not. however some plausible and rational reasons that they are not spies were posted by "geriatrickid". quite refreshing as opposed to the usual diverting and irrelevant BS posted (Insulted removed).

i just pointed out a possibility which is not necessarily my opinion. just some food for thoughts... what would have happened to some Iranians who crossed illegally the border to the Greatest Nation on Earth™ and then claimed to be hikers? in what "patriot act" prison would they be water boarded? :huh:

The US currently has around 11 million that went hiking in the US. I haven't heard of any of them being water boarded...have you???

No, of course they weren't spies for Israel or the US. Who doesn't enjoy a bit of backpacking on the Iran/Iraq border during a war? These 28 and 32 year old "kids" simply took a wrong turn and ended up in Iran. Ooops! Could happen to anyone. :whistling:

Yeah & apparently there is a guy up on Martha's Vineyard stuffing his face with lobster drenched in butter who is not too concerned about it either.

They're being used as pawns. They are completely NOT GUILTY and shouldn't have spent one minute in prison. That said, they aren't really important in the larger picture and not worth going to war with Iran about. Plenty of other reasons for that!

How are they completely not guilty? Do you have a hunch or are you representing them? They are lucky they did not get the death sentence.