Buying A Used Car

Nickkbh

Well,i want to get myself a vehicle,that can get me from A-B.

A few Q's.

1.I have a proof of residence from my embassy,but will that do....Or do i have to get one from immigration.Looking to get a Thai DL tomorrow.

2.i am looking to spend around bht 2-300.000 .- any suggestions,anybody hear of a good bargain.

When i speak to thais about 2nd hand cars,they say,you sure no have accident.

But frankly i don't really care,and as i understand it,there can actually be a huge difference in price.

Any comments?

Thanks

Nick

For 300K get a 200ish model Toyota Soluna, or Honda City, 1.5L auto gearbox, boring but reliable motoring around Bangok. If you're in the boonies then the guys on here will say get a pick-up, could be right.

With your embassy doc and photocopies of your passport you'll be able to stick a car in your name.

For 300K get a 200ish model Toyota Soluna, or Honda City, 1.5L auto gearbox, boring but reliable motoring around Bangok. If you're in the boonies then the guys on here will say get a pick-up, could be right.

With your embassy doc and photocopies of your passport you'll be able to stick a car in your name.

Cool,thanks.Kind of what i figured.

I just want something reliable,and cheap to repair....

How much would a 2nd hand jazz cost.

Or would i be able to do payments with the same docs?

Nick

Well,i want to get myself a vehicle,that can get me from A-B.

A few Q's.

1.I have a proof of residence from my embassy,but will that do....Or do i have to get one from immigration.Looking to get a Thai DL tomorrow.

2.i am looking to spend around bht 2-300.000 .- any suggestions,anybody hear of a good bargain.

When i speak to thais about 2nd hand cars,they say,you sure no have accident.

But frankly i don't really care,and as i understand it,there can actually be a huge difference in price.

Any comments?

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick

If your in bangers, this website is the best one in Thailand, hundreds of used motors..

http://www.one2car.com/CarInfor/carbytype.aspx?type=allcar

enjoy

How much would a 2nd hand jazz cost.

I've seen 1 year old Jazzs on sale for only about 50 grand less than their new price. Factor in the higher interest payments on 2nd hand car loans and it probably works out more expensive!

For 300,000 you might be able to pick up a 5 year old honda city or soluna. 2nd hand cars in Thailand are really bad value for money imho.

Yeah 2nd hand cars keep good value....

Both good and bad i guess......

Maybe i can find a farang who doesn't know this:-)

Btw,did the drivers licence thing today...Pretty easy,and not one hassle.

Total price bht145

105 for the license

40 for the health certificate......this part took 2 mins.....

Now,off to find a 2000 Soluna with low milage....

Thanks for all advise.

Many of them will have low odometer readings. Just remember what stories you have always heard about used car salesmen. :o

Look at everything EXCEPT the odometer reading and remember that they never drive the same after they have been hit hard.

Try to find one that has the service records with it and then check with the dealer to see if the records are correct.

Good luck!

Yeah 2nd hand cars keep good value....

Both good and bad i guess......

Maybe i can find a farang who doesn't know this:-)

Btw,did the drivers licence thing today...Pretty easy,and not one hassle.

Total price bht145

105 for the license

40 for the health certificate......this part took 2 mins.....

Now,off to find a 2000 Soluna with low milage....

Thanks for all advise.

Well,to follow up....If anyone's interested.....

Had a look at a few cars today.

first was a 98 Corolla,fine shape,no accident,the dealer is a friend of a friend.

took it for a spin,and everything seemed fine.(i don't really know a lot about cars.....i just drive them)

anyway price is bht 260.000.- not to bad.

second was a 2000 CRV,didn't try this one,as for it's out of my pricerange,but a really nice car.

Price tag bht 520.000.- but i would need someone to garuantee....

Anyway,the dealer told me that,the minut you buy a car,the value decreases 10-15 %,

but then hold it's value for around 2 years.So it not a good idea to buy a car,keep it for 3 months,and then replace it.....I guess,under these circumstances you should keep a car at least 1 year....

Which kind of make me rethink.....Maybe i should try and get the CRV afterall.....Might be a car i would keep longer.

Waddaya think?

Edited by Nickkbh

There seem to be loads and loads of Mitsubishi Lancers on the market.

1.3 and 1.5 engines, lots of them called "glxi" or "e-cars".

built between 94 and 97.

They seem to be very low priced, so either they are worthless and everybody wants to get rid of them, or there have been sold lots of them back in the 90's...

Any idea's?

Also, it seems that these secondhand car places base their prices purely on age, and not on mileage. I've seen cars of the same age, but one with low mileage and the other with something like 350.000km on the clock being offered for the same price!

The concensus seems to be that engine repairs are cheap anyway, or even completely replacing an engine would only set you back less then 30.000 Baht.

Have a friend who just bought a cheap '94 3-doors honda civic, very clean and good looking but with a crap, smoke belching engine. Got the engine replaced for 28000 Baht and the thing runs absolutely great now...

My x girlfriend used to work in the cardealing business,and everytime we look at a car and i ask how many kilomet,she says,mai pen rai,can fix......

So,yeah one shouldn't pay attention to mileage.Doesn't seem to worry thais anyway.

Kind of makes sense,if a new engine is that cheap.

Anyway,one thing came to mind,what about insurance.? where and how much?

Or does it come with the car?

And do you guys have somewhere specific you can call if the car refuses to work in the middle of nowhere.......

• 1 year later...
There seem to be loads and loads of Mitsubishi Lancers on the market.

1.3 and 1.5 engines, lots of them called "glxi" or "e-cars".

built between 94 and 97.

Mitsubishi E-Car (Fully Modified)

ecarsx4.jpg

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 97

image046wm8.jpgimage045ug7.jpg

Edited by tytus

Looks mean! The Mitsubishi's seem very good value here in Thailand(comparing with other cars in Thailand before some bozo comes up with prices in other countries). And one can get them "pimped" at resonable prices too. CHeers!

Edited by Firefan

They seem to be very low priced, so either they are worthless and everybody wants to get rid of them, or there have been sold lots of them back in the 90's...

The 2nd hand lancer and E-Car 95-97 is cost around THB 100k to 350 k , one the cheapest in the market now. It is still worth to some of us here. Add another 150k to 200 k you might see it beating any other cars on the road today . With Full modification on the engines and bodywork :o

Edited by tytus

Mosthly problems with "E- Cars": Start engine, step on the brake pedal, put Automatic Transmission into "D" Drive, don't drive, just step on the brake, turn AC on and see what happen. They always rattle a lot because engine mounts are broken. Also lower engine bar is never in original shape, because somone hit a speed bump in the past. So engine is out of aligement and rattles and vibrates a lot. Hyundai have the same problem. Check Drive shaft, turning the wheel bothside and drive in a curve away and you will hear another ratteling sound. Bad drive shafts. This are the most common problem with E- Cars. If you replace engine mouts, don't use copy parts, otherwise you have the same problem after 2 weeks.

When we are talking 10 year+ old cars one really should consider repairs/service opportunites/spare parts more than milage. Also; while checking the car at purchase is certainly important - the dealer often says that it can be fixed but at a cost - I.e. the "buy as is" mentality is strong here(again; talking 10 year+ cars here). One will ALWAYS find something and end up having a hard time buying ANYTHING.

Broken engine mount? Can be fixed/replaced. Lower engine bar? Can be fixed/replaced. Drive shaft? Same thing.

One can use the different problems found to press the price though - thereby having space in budget to get repaired right away.

I.e. cars/brands with plenty of spares (Incl. used parts) like Toyota/Honda Etc. (the Evos also have plenty) is the obvious choice when looking for old/no warranty cars and when repairs/parts are as cheap as they are here.

Cheers!