Thaksin Affirms No Plan To Return Home

webfact

Thaksin Affirms No Plan to Return Home

Former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra says new national policies in Thailand will take time and claims he has no plans to return.

Thailand's former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said on Tuesday that policies implemented by his younger sister Yingluck Shinawatra's government will take time to have an effect, while reiterating he has no plans to return to the country and denying any wrongdoing.

Thaksin said Yingluck's government wants to consolidate power by delivering on all of its promises, which include corporate tax cuts, debt relief for individuals, village development funds, lower fuel prices and tablet PCs for 800,000 students.

He went on to say that it would take time for the policies to come into effect.

"We are taking about two quarters before the major policy can be in effect, because of the delays of the process before the government can take action.''

Yingluck, 44, who was barely known to the public four months ago, has faced a turbulent two weeks in office, bombarded by questions about a possible amnesty or constitutional amendments that would help Thaksin return home without going to jail -- a prospect that could revive an anti-Thaksin protest movement.

Thaksin's decision to visit Japan this week, and the government's alleged role in securing a visa for him have put Yingluck in a tight spot.

Opposition politicians sharply criticized the visa, calling Thaksin a fugitive from justice.

The previous government stripped him of his Thai passport.

He is known to travel on passports issued by Nicaragua and Montenegro after being granted citizenship in both countries.

Thaksin also said he has no plans to return to Thailand.

"My plan of going back to Thailand, I have no plan.

You know whenever reconciliation happens, then that might be.

But if reconciliation is not there, I don't want to fuel any more conflict.

I just want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem."

Toppled in a 2006 coup, Thaksin has been living overseas in a self-imposed exile to avoid jail for graft.

"If I really committed crimes, not just a few days, even two years I'm happy to be in jail.

But this is not the crimes committed, but it's politically motivated.

If you look at the content of the sentences, you will see how strange is it,"

Thailand has been locked in a polarising five-year crisis marked by sometimes violent street protests in a conflict that broadly pits Thaksin, his business allies and his mostly working-class "red-shirt" supporters against the army's top brass, a conservative elite and a royalist urban middle-class.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-08-23

footer_n.gif

"We are taking about two quarters before the major policy can be in effect, because of the delays of the process before the government can take action.''

And he's not involved in politics. :unsure:

PM'S FUGITIVE BROTHER

I have no plan to go home : Thaksin

Tokyo - Thailand's fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Tuesday he had no immediate plan to return to his country.

"I don't think I would go back (to Thailand) if I were to be part of the problem," Thaksin, who arrived Monday for a week-long stay, told a news conference in Tokyo.

Thaksin, who was premier from 2001 until he was toppled in a 2006 coup, has lived abroad since 2008 to avoid a two-year prison sentence for abuse of power in Thailand.

He is the de facto leader of the Pheu Thai Party, which won the general election in early July. His sister Yingluck Shinawatra was chosen to become Thailand's first female prime minister.

"Reconciliation is the key to Thailand's stability and prosperity," he said.

"That's the reason why the current government is urging all parties to come together to find solution for reconciliation for the sake of the people in Thailand."

Thaksin said he hoped that "the Thai government is moving more and more toward democracy. Thailand needs to have democracy, rule of law, quality economic growth and freedom of speech."

Thai Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul has been criticised for helping Thaksin get the visa to Japan, as his first act in his new post.

"I'm very close to my sister because she is my youngest sister," he said. "Whenever she needs advice, she calls me. I give her advice. I act like an encyclopedia."

Thaksin defended his much-criticised trip to Japan, saying he wanted to see areas ravaged by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami and provide support to the region because the country helped Thailand recover from a devastating tsunami in 2004.

The March disaster left some 15,700 dead and about 4,600 missing in the north-east.

Japan issued a special entry permit after the new Thai government led by Thaksin's sister Yingluck asked Tokyo to allow him to visit, the government said.

The decision was made soon after Thailand's new cabinet was sworn in earlier this month.

Japan's law does not allow the entry of a person who has been found guilty and given a jail term of more than one year. But the justice minister can issue a special permit.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-23

"We are taking about two quarters before the major policy can be in effect, because of the delays of the process before the government can take action."

'We are taking about two quarters'? Surely he meant My sister, or the PM Yingluck, or the Thai government?

I decline to comment on the rest of the OP. I'm sure others will find fault and/or truth in it all ;)

Edited by rubl

Seeing as our man in Dubai is a master of double talk and has a habit of doing the exact opposite of what he says....

My prediction....back in Thailand by Christmas...:rolleyes:

"Japan issued a special entry permit after the new Thai government led by Thaksin's sister Yingluck asked Tokyo to allow him to visit, the government said"

But didnt dear sister say the goverment had nothing to witth this.....:blink: ....is someone telling porkies ?

Seeing as our man in Dubai is a master of double talk and has a habit of doing the exact opposite of what he says....

"Japan issued a special entry permit after the new Thai government led by Thaksin's sister Yingluck asked Tokyo to allow him to visit, the government said"

But didnt dear sister say the goverment had nothing to witth this.....:blink: ....is someone telling porkies ?

Apparently the Japanese Cabinet Secretary was lying when he said the Thai government had made a special request to let Mr T in.

Apparently the Japanese Cabinet Secretary was lying when he said the Thai government had made a special request to let Mr T in.

No, no, no, they are all lying it was the tooth fairy

A quote from the world of the thespians that fits Thaksin like glove.

''Good acting demands absolute sincerity...if you can fake that, then you've got it made."

I would love 10 baht for every lie told by officials between now and the hew year. I'll take a round the world cruise for 10 and build a new house.

STOP PRESS: CHARITIES SHUNNED IN ANIMATIC WINDFALL PLAN

Can I get a job at The Nation now?

NATIONAL

PM'S FUGITIVE BROTHER

I have no plan to go home : Thaksin

By Deutsche Presse Agentur

Published on August 23, 2011

Tokyo - Thailand's fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Tuesday he had no immediate plan to return to his country.

"I don't think I would go back (to Thailand) if I were to be part of the problem," Thaksin, who arrived Monday for a week-long stay, told a news conference in Tokyo.

Thaksin, who was premier from 2001 until he was toppled in a 2006 coup, has lived abroad since 2008 to avoid a two-year prison sentence for abuse of power in Thailand.

He is the de facto leader of the Pheu Thai Party, which won the general election in early July. His sister Yingluck Shinawatra was chosen to become Thailand's first female prime minister.

"Reconciliation is the key to Thailand's stability and prosperity," he said.

"That's the reason why the current government is urging all parties to come together to find solution for reconciliation for the sake of the people in Thailand."

Thaksin said he hoped that "the Thai government is moving more and more toward democracy. Thailand needs to have democracy, rule of law, quality economic growth and freedom of speech."

Thai Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul has been criticised for helping Thaksin get the visa to Japan, as his first act in his new post.

"I'm very close to my sister because she is my youngest sister," he said. "Whenever she needs advice, she calls me. I give her advice. I act like an encyclopedia."

Thaksin defended his much-criticised trip to Japan, saying he wanted to see areas ravaged by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami and provide support to the region because the country helped Thailand recover from a devastating tsunami in 2004.

The March disaster left some 15,700 dead and about 4,600 missing in the north-east.

Japan issued a special entry permit after the new Thai government led by Thaksin's sister Yingluck asked Tokyo to allow him to visit, the government said.

The decision was made soon after Thailand's new cabinet was sworn in earlier this month.

Japan's law does not allow the entry of a person who has been found guilty and given a jail term of more than one year. But the justice minister can issue a special permit.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-23

Interesting that a country , Japan , shamefully issues a fugitive a visa,how often in history do we get all the Japanese B***s*t about honour , sick.gif

Honor, schmonor ... Just following a pattern. Japan offered exile residency to Peruvian ex-president Alberto Fujimori, now serving 13 years in prison back in Peru. Edited by Jingthing

What? Is the current government NOT democratic?

NATIONAL

Thaksin: I have no immediate plan to return home

By xxxxxxxxxx

Published on August 24, 2011

Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said in Japan yesterday that he has no immediate plans to return home and has no official role in his sister Yingluck Shinawatra's government. Nevertheless he delivered policy guidelines in Tokyo as if he was still in the office.

Thaksin, who is in Japan for a six-day high profile visit, said he would not return home to Thailand unless the country experience

d real reconciliation in its political division.

"I don't want to fuel any more conflict. I don't think I would go back if I were to be part of the problem," Thaksin told reporters.

Thaksin kicked off his mission to Japan with a luncheon speech entitled "Democracy in Thailand", at the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan to express his ideas on political development in Thailand.

"In order to make Thailand a modern state we need four main pillars; democracy, freedom of speech, rule of law, and quality economic growth," he said. "Accordingly, this is what we believe the current government [will aim for]."

The new government is now trying to push its campaign promises, he said. One of concern to Japanese investors is the promised minimum wage of Bt300 per day which, Thaksin said, was very little, only about US$10. Such an increase in the minimum wage would lift efficiency and productivity and the government would reduce its tax rate to allow companies to make a profit, he said. "We will invest a lot on infrastructure mega-projects to bring back economic strength," he said.

The former prime minister, who turned fugitive after a coup toppled him in 2006, is visiting Japan to support the earthquake and tsunami-hit country - recalling how Japan helped Thailand when the Kingdom was hit by a tsunami in 2004 and Thaksin was in the office.

"I feel like I'm attached to what's happening there," he said of northeast Japan, which he planned to visit this week to view the damage caused by the huge March 11 tsunami.

Thaksin made another speech on economics to business leaders to convince them to cooperate with and invest in Thailand.

Thaksin said the visit to Japan was his own doing and the government under his sister Yingluck had nothing to do with the special visa granted by Japanese authorities.

"The approval of the visa was totally at the discretion of the Japanese government, not us,'' Thaksin said. "But definitely I'm grateful that they allowed me to come.''

His trip to Japan is controversial as the opposition Democrat Party has accused Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul of facilitating Thaksin's flight from law enforcement. Thaksin was convicted for two years on a charge of abusing authority.

Thaksin said his link to the current government in Thailand was only the relation of brother and sister. "I'm very close to my sister because she is my youngest sister," he said. "Whenever she needs advice, she calls me. I give her advice. I act like an encyclopaedia."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-24

2011-08-23: Thaksin Affirms No Plan to Return Home

2011-08-23: I have no plan to go home : Thaksin

2011-08-23: I have no plan to go home : Thaksin, By Deutsche Presse Agentur

2011-08-24: Thaksin: I have no immediate plan to return home

The last article has an interesting mix of I and we. Figure of speech of course.

The "Whenever she needs advice, she calls me. I give her advice. I act like an encyclopaedia." suggest that either someone should sell Ms. Yingluck an encyclopedia (also nice for her son), or instruct her in how to search on the internet and the private government intranet. Maybe she should ask her son how to do rather than her brother ;)

Thaksin Affirms No Plan to Return Home....................

But as we all know,the more a politician says,'no it won't happen',the more you can be sure that it will happen !

Ahh yes by now the most famous quote in the world "read my lips". I have no plans of returning home ,George H W Shinawatra OR Is it Thaksin H W Bush !. Edited by Colin Yai