Autocad Course

AjarnP

Guys,

This old dinosaur is finally trying to catch up on the times and I am looking for a course in using AutoCAD for various building design work.

Has anyone seen or heard of anyone offering part-time training courses? I might even consider taking on a private tutor if that's the only way to go.

Thanks for passing on any information.

Cheers AjarnP :jap:

I think this is a case of where buying a good book and then following it may be best. Autocad is not drawing and involves a different way of thing....copying instead of drawing again etc, Most of the book,s are arranged as courses so follow one doing the examples and you will learn properly.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=autocad&x=0&y=0

will give a few ideas

Start by figuring out what you want to do with Autocad, which version you want to run. Then select an appropriate text geared to that version (Heaps on the net for free). Complete Idiot's guides are pretty good to start out with. When you have some knowledge under your belt then you will be better able to assess what you need to now concentrate on for your specific task or potential job application. Its no different than say learning Adobe Photoshop, if you have the basic knowledge of the concepts involved then the software is nothing more than a replacement for a pencil and paper.

Oz

Start by figuring out what you want to do with Autocad, which version you want to run. Then select an appropriate text geared to that version (Heaps on the net for free). Complete Idiot's guides are pretty good to start out with. When you have some knowledge under your belt then you will be better able to assess what you need to now concentrate on for your specific task or potential job application. Its no different than say learning Adobe Photoshop, if you have the basic knowledge of the concepts involved then the software is nothing more than a replacement for a pencil and paper.

Oz

I would disagree....the concepts are unlike those used in drawing as they involve duplicating lines cutting lines modifying lines forming and inserting blocks....and allways working in 1:1.

People who have taught themselves or been taught by teachers who have done that often try to replicate drawing but true CAD design is quite different.

Find a good book with plenty of practices and do them.

Oz

I would disagree....the concepts are unlike those used in drawing as they involve duplicating lines cutting lines modifying lines forming and inserting blocks....and allways working in 1:1.

People who have taught themselves or been taught by teachers who have done that often try to replicate drawing but true CAD design is quite different.

Its' wonderful to hear your views and opinions on what I want but guys, and maybe my initial post wasn't as clear as it might have been. To clarify, I know what Acad is and what it can do, I am an engineer by profession. I also have a very rudimentary knowledge of using it. What I want is to improve my current level of knowledge with a hands on course. I can read pretty well but there's nowt like a professional to show you all the shortcuts and drive the message home. For me that is, anyway.

Thanks again

AjarnP :blink:

Oz

Its' wonderful to hear your views and opinions on what I want but guys, and maybe my initial post wasn't as clear as it might have been. To clarify, I know what Acad is and what it can do, I am an engineer by profession. I also have a very rudimentary knowledge of using it. What I want is to improve my current level of knowledge with a hands on course. I can read pretty well but there's nowt like a professional to show you all the shortcuts and drive the message home. For me that is, anyway.

Thanks again

AjarnP :blink:

Thank you for appreciating the advice given by at least one of the posters who has had several years experience in teaching AUTOCAD 2d and 3d at tertiary level and has the Certifications and experience to prove it. I am sure you will not find somewhere in Thailand teaching it to that level or with that level of experience in the English language. If you do good luck. If you do not, reading a good book which is generally designed as a course and doing all the examples may help.

Edited by harrry

Harry each to his own mate, I have been using AUTOCAD for nearly 20yrs its my job too, I have run it since back before R14 I now run 2008, those that cant do often teach, that is soo often case. I was just offering advise based on the OP's question. I didn't want some old guy giving up on doing something he seemed to be determined to do because twits like you start talking gobbldy gook at him in order to appear important.

Oz

Thanks ozsamurai, at least someone understands what I wanted in my post.

Harry is obviously far too learned for me to deal with. Although with that experience and level of academic experience perhaps he could have volunteered as a tutor.

I'll continue to fumble my way through autocad and will eventually get some willing soul to show me the tricks.

Oh, and by the way Harrry, I read Thai as well as I read English so a course (or even a book) in either language is just fine.

Thanks again Oz

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks ozsamurai, at least someone understands what I wanted in my post.

Harry is obviously far too learned for me to deal with. Although with that experience and level of academic experience perhaps he could have volunteered as a tutor.

I'll continue to fumble my way through autocad and will eventually get some willing soul to show me the tricks.

Oh, and by the way Harrry, I read Thai as well as I read English so a course (or even a book) in either language is just fine.

Thanks again Oz

In that case pick up the autocad book in Thai at SED or one of the bookshops. It has a good cd of examples.