Rain Rain Amd More Rain

petercallen

Got up this morning and the pool was filled to the top, above the overflow pipe that must drain

into the garden because it was starting to flood around the pump house

Had to run the pump to waste for 30 minutes to get the level down,at one stage it was raining so hard

the pump hardly seemed to be gaining, the water goes into the open drain between us and the new

development next door which is lower than us, its the highest i have seen the water level and its starting

flood next door.

I was told by a long time resident that it does not rain much in Rawai, i am beginning to wonder if it ever

floods here, if the rain keeps up i can see it happening

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Severe rain and quite high winds in Chalong also (at least the northern part) for the last several hours. Forecast is for same same right through until next week. September is traditionally the month with the highest rainfall, and maybe we're paying the price for a relatively dry 'rainy' season so far.

This rain is good for the island. We need to get as much water as possible for the coming high season, plus my garden is happy along with the well which is way below normal levels for this time of year.

Bang Wad dam is always full at the end of the wet season, they need to get on with building the new

dam they have been talking about for ages, there is still going to be a shortage of water in the tourist

season because they do not have enough storage facilities.

Flooding which looks like its going to happen where we live is not good for the island

jao faa west around TOT and again around homepro is bad and half of chalong circle is underwater

not a good day to be driving around

by the way, i notice they have put yet another unnecessary traffic light on jao faa west at the TOT corner (at least i think its new, i don't remember it before).

all these BS lights for every little side soi with 10 cars an hour on it is really tiresome, i just drive straight through half of them.

Well it rained 139 mm overnight at my house in Rawai and it's still raining hard! It only rained 171 mm for the past month. So we need the rain! I've seen it rain like this for days and some low lying areas do flood, but a bit less now with all the storm drains they've put in over the years...

jao faa west around TOT and again around homepro is bad and half of chalong circle is underwater

by the way, i notice they have put yet another unnecessary traffic light on jao faa west at the TOT corner (at least i think its new, i don't remember it before).

all these BS lights for every little side soi with 10 cars an hour on it is really tiresome, i just drive straight through half of them.

So you

are one of the irresponsible dicks that ignore red lights!! any extra road measures taken in this country is a good thing and should not be ignored thats if you value your life of course!!

The new lights by TOT and the new road measures just before Wat Chalong are a step forward to protecting people from arse holes on Thai roads!!

Edited by kenny999

I agree that we "needed some rain" but the flooding we have in the Rawai area is starting to do some real damage. The farmer next us gave up trying to save crop his about an hour ago. I've seen rain this hard before but not for this long. Since I can't change the weather I'll make the best of it, grabbing the SCUBA gear and into the back yard :D

Several roads underwater in Kamala. Had a hell of a time getting to and from my kids school. Lots of stalled cars and motorbikes blocking the roads. The new storm drains are covered in debris and plugged.:blink:

But, everything is clean and green.:D

WARNING

Patong is flooded, some roads more than 90cm/3 feet which is too much for a skilled driver in a Vigo/Fortuner 4x4 capable of 70cm.

Police asks everyone to stay home and go out in Patong only if absolutely needed.

6am. one UK casualty in Bangla due to electricity in water

Yes Patong is flooded including the crucial intersection beside Patong Hospital. This intersection was flooded by midnight. Today the flood has extended all the way along the new road to Jung Ceylong. When the hospital intersection floods all the emergency services are rendered unusable for the average vehicle: Patong Hospital, Patong Police Station, Patong Fire Department

Patong is really bad.

Tourists knee deep in Bangla but they seem to be enjoying it.

Beach road is now 2 way and i like it as it used to be because once you go past Bangla is where it's thigh deep.

After trying two ways( Patong and Chalong east and west) to get to Central, i gave up and went had a beer.

Edited by katasyd

I at first thought the same re unnecessary traffic lights on both the East and West roads, but the reality is that these are at accident blackspots, and people have literally died to have these lights installed.

Some photos I took earlier this morning as I was leaving the estate I live on near TOT on Chaofa West Road.....

post-62520-0-68783800-1314260302_thumb.j

post-62520-0-98196400-1314260324_thumb.j

post-62520-0-87028700-1314260346_thumb.j

post-62520-0-39350700-1314260369_thumb.j

post-62520-0-88127400-1314260388_thumb.j

post-62520-0-40886100-1314260406_thumb.j

Patong is really bad.

Tourists knee deep in Bangla but they seem to be enjoying it.

Beach road is now 2 way and i like it as it used to be because once you go past Bangla is where it's thigh deep.

After trying two ways( Patong and Chalong east and west) to get to Central, i gave up and went had a beer.

Glad to hear the tourists are enjoying bangla in knee deep water, is the person who has been electrocuted enjoying it as well???

You made this comment about people enjoying Bangla in the deep water knowing someone had been electrocuted, funny to you I suppose!!

Edited by kenny999

There's got to be a better traffic light management system then what is in place. 80% of the time it should be green for the major artery, while 10% of the time it should be for cross traffic and 10% for right turns where there is a turn lane, otherwise 90% main with right turn yielding until safe, and 10% cross traffic. Maybe even time the lights so main traffic can make 3 or 4 lights in a row...... what a concept!

All our shoes were washed into the klong this morning.

WARNING

Patong is flooded, some roads more than 90cm/3 feet which is too much for a skilled driver in a Vigo/Fortuner 4x4 capable of 70cm.

Police asks everyone to stay home and go out in Patong only if absolutely needed.

6am. one UK casualty in Bangla due to electricity in water

Well this explains the lack of Patong posters today.

Again, did anyone see any warnings about this from the Thai Paradoxical Meteorological Department? Or have they just given up on issuing warnings after all the false torrential rain and flood warnings they issued in the last couple years?

I agree the lights need to be managed better. I am not against adding lights if they improve safety, but the timing on them is ridiculous and if eveyone is jus running them because of it then that certainly doesn't improve safety. I abhor the cronic red light running a-holes too, but where I am from there is a law which states malfunctioning traffic lights do not need to be obeyed. I think that argument can be made for a lot of the lights in Phuket. I keep saying the only explanation for the nonsensical design of roads and signals in Thailand is it's form of covert population control.

There's got to be a better traffic light management system then what is in place. 80% of the time it should be green for the major artery, while 10% of the time it should be for cross traffic and 10% for right turns where there is a turn lane, otherwise 90% main with right turn yielding until safe, and 10% cross traffic. Maybe even time the lights so main traffic can make 3 or 4 lights in a row...... what a concept!

Well they are better than nothing but as we have already heard people choose to ignore traffic lights putting them selves and other road user's in danger, so you find it difficult to wait maybe 1 minute or a little longer? any safety measures taken in this country is a good thing and not to be ignored!!

I find all the new traffic lights on Chao Fa west to have reduced speed and agressive driving significantly. In addition the new lane marking and dividing traffic (partly with tyres) has sivilised traffic.

It is not a fast road anymore, it was to crowded a long time ago, and the recent reduced speeds seem to have made it safer

What they should do is to synchronize the green lights, for everyone keeping 50-60kmh to ride on a green wave. but costs money.

Glad to hear the tourists are enjoying bangla in knee deep water, is the person who has been electrocuted enjoying it as well???

I don't get the point of this post. I'm sure most (if not all) the folk out there enjoying themselves aren't aware someone has died. They're on their holidays, cut them some slack. Or perhaps you think they should be riding through the floods on their high horses..? huh.gif