Minimum Size Of A Motorbike To Drive On Highway?

manarak

I do about 50km per day on a yamaha nouvo elegance ,its just a 135cc scooter but it has advantages bigger bikes dont

it will hold 120 kmph on a flat road with a passenger when the road conditions allow that speed and its liquid cooled so temperature guage doesnt seem to ever move past 50% regardless of how long or hard the engine is running

its narrow and very agile for weaving through traffic (more important than top end speed in bkk traffic i think )

evaluate your journey and see how much of it is through slow moving or even stopped traffic and how much is on an open highway

if most of your journey can maintain speeds over 100+kmph do it on a bigger cc bike but if ur stuck in the gridlock an elegance 135 will get u there as fast as anything

For the Thai road/traffic law there's no difference, concerning the use of roads, between a 110cc Honda Wave and a supersport 1000cc racebike... Both need to stay in the left lain, the right (faster traffic) lain is prohibited for motorcycles in Thailand.

• Like 1

For the Thai road/traffic law there's no difference, concerning the use of roads, between a 110cc Honda Wave and a supersport 1000cc racebike... Both need to stay in the left lain, the right (faster traffic) lain is prohibited for motorcycles in Thailand.

Richard.. are you sure about the right lane thing.. I know the police like to use that one but when i took my test all the transport people said after checking the book was that it was for overtaking slower traffic and i had to pull back in as soon as possible..(i also remember a thai newspaper report about this . it was posted here on TV once. but can't find it now) ohh and if there was a service road then i should use that.

Is there any literature to confirm either view.

Thaicbr, that rule is one of those rules that got completely mixed up with old rules being amended by newer and even newer rules...

In some old rule of the Thai Land Traffic Act – Road Use – motorcycles are being specified as slow moving vehicles, and therefore in 2011 we have to ride our motorcycle capable of incredible speeds as if they are slow-moving vehicles. If motorcycle, or some motorcycle with higher engine size ever get classified as being regular vehicles we are also allowed on the Express/Toll ways.

It's the same with riding a motorcycle, youngsters can ride a motorcycle/scooter below 115cc without any papers (basic insurance is still needed) until they get 18, because than a newer law says everybody in Thailand using a vehicle on the public road needs a drivers licenses.

Edited by Richard-BKK

technically speaking, imo a bike should be able to do atleast 100kph to be able to safely drive on a highway, anything else and you may end up being road kill.

Sometimes you need the power to get out of stupid positions other drivers put you in.

Link to the law or it doesn't exist. Title and Section please.

When I took the Honda bike test course last year, it was explained that motorcycles must stay in the left lane except for when passing parked/stopped vehicles or other objects blocking such lane, such as buses at bus stops. But once passed one must move back into the left lane.

As to minimum sized motorcycle, as long as the bike is registered it can be a small as they make them. The operative term here being registered. If the Lnad Transport Department will register it, you can ride it.

well, I was stopped by highway police saying that small bikes are not allowed on highways.

bet an on the spot fee was involved and then it was okay. my understanding is with the others, can be on the highway, left lane, but not on the motorway any lane

On, for example, Rama II road – which has lanes in the middle for faster moving traffic and on both side of the road you have a set of parallel b-road lanes in both directions, with a motorcycle you should stay on the B-road section

post-12170-0-51012100-1314345503_thumb.j

When I took the Honda bike test course last year, it was explained that motorcycles must stay in the left lane except for when passing parked/stopped vehicles or other objects blocking such lane, such as buses at bus stops. But once passed one must move back into the left lane.

Not just motorcycles. ALL vehicles are supposed to stay left unless overtaking.

Link to the law or it doesn't exist. Title and Section please.

The first part is true: 100cc-1000cc same same. (With one exception: children 15-17 can operate motorcycles 110cc or less) But if there is a law stating motorcycles are not allowed in the right lane without exception, I can not find it.

Not just motorcycles. ALL vehicles are supposed to stay left unless overtaking.

Yes correct.

It's not specific to motorcycles, all vehicles must keep left. There are the two relevant sections.

Land Traffic Act, B.E. 2522 (1979)

Section 34 (500B Fine)

If the road is divided into two of more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall keep to the outermost left-hand side lane. If the outermost left-hand side lane is a bus lane, the driver shall keep close to the bus lane except int he following situations:

a. there is an obstruction in the road

b. the road is prescribed as one-way

c. it is necessary to enter the correct lane upon approaching a junction

d. when overtaking another vehicle

e. when driving faster than vehicles in the left-hand side lane.

Section 35 (500B fine)

The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or traveling at a lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction, shall keep to the curbside of the roadway as close as possible.

If such a roadway is divided into tow or more traffic lanes in the same direction or has a bus lane specifically arranged on the left-hand side, the driver shall drive the vehicle in the outermost left-hand side lane or close to the bus lane, as the case may be.

Source: http://www.thailaws.com/

-

We have all probably seen the blue and white "motorcycles must stay left" signs. I believe these to be cautionary/information signs, not regulatory. I have never found any statute which supports those signs. If anyone can find a section specifically prohibiting motorcycles in the right "fast lane" even to overtake, please provide a source.

As per the OP's question, I believe KBB is correct in that the minimum displacement is 100cc for the bike to be registrable by the Land Transport Department, but I cannot find an online source. There is no reference to it in the Thailaw's translated vehicle code.

I will ask my contact in the Phuket Highway Police to confirm both issues and report back.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

well, I was stopped by highway police saying that small bikes are not allowed on highways.

bet an on the spot fee was involved and then it was okay. my understanding is with the others, can be on the highway, left lane, but not on the motorway any lane

Actually, he wanted a 1000 baht fine and sent me to the police station to pay.

The officer made absolutely no overtures for quicker or simpler procedure.

He already prepared to go back to his car when I said it's a long ride to the police station... the matter found favorable on the spot resolution, yes, but...

I suppose there is an official regulation prohibiting motorycles under a certain size to go on highways. This happened on "National Highway no. 36"

Actually, he wanted a 1000 baht fine and sent me to the police station to pay.

The officer made absolutely no overtures for quicker or simpler procedure.

He already prepared to go back to his car when I said it's a long ride to the police station... the matter found favorable on the spot resolution, yes, but...

I suppose there is an official regulation prohibiting motorycles under a certain size to go on highways. This happened on "National Highway no. 36"

The fine for taking a motorcycle onto a TOLL ROAD or other motorway where motorcycles are not allowed is indeed 1000 Baht. I'm not familiar with National Highway 36...

But what are they, or you, defining as a "small bike" and what are they, or you, defining as a "highway". The only place motorcycles are not allowed is tollways in Bangkok, and that is any cc big or small. Your comment and question makes no sense. Please provide more information. Where exactly were you? Was it Royal Thai Traffic Police, Highway Police, Tesseban Police, Military Police? I suspect you got "fined" by an imaginary law, as the Thai police are famous for. Let me guess, you paid on the spot and no ticket written or receipt given. Or are you just trolling the motorcycle forum perhaps....

But what are they, or you, defining as a "small bike" and what are they, or you, defining as a "highway". The only place motorcycles are not allowed is tollways in Bangkok, and that is any cc big or small. Your comment and question makes no sense. Please provide more information. Where exactly were you? Was it Royal Thai Traffic Police, Highway Police, Tesseban Police, Military Police? I suspect you got "fined" by an imaginary law, as the Thai police are famous for. Let me guess, you paid on the spot and no ticket written or receipt given. Or are you just trolling the motorcycle forum perhaps....

posts #13 and #18 contain all 'additional' information you want.

Ahhhhh Hwy 36 Pattaya... that explains somethings... If the highway had a service road at the side eg like the picture that Richard posted then if you are on a small bike you should stay in the service road. if its just a normal 2-3 lane highway with no service road alongside then you should stay over to the left...

Ahhhhh Hwy 36 Pattaya... that explains somethings... If the highway had a service road at the side eg like the picture that Richard posted then if you are on a small bike you should stay in the service road. if its just a normal 2-3 lane highway with no service road alongside then you should stay over to the left...

Sure you're correct thaicbr.

If there's a frontage road you gotta use it as decrepit as it may be.. Some time periods allow riding on the number 2 road under the 'upstairs' tollway but those times periods are a Thai secret.. That said on my larger bike I seem not to get stopped at 120kph on the #2 road. On my 135 I'm a goner. Probably have a 'crackdown' sometime - that's another topic...

To the topic - I don't think the OP was after a lesson on appropriate bike sizes.

I'm happy to be corrected but I think there is no difference re road rules according to bike size. Is that the answer to the question?

As to keeping to the left it has been my experience (coupla hundred baht) that you must stay left except to pass stationary vehicles. In practice and enforcement passing a slow vehicle and moving left again is acceptable. I reckon the trick is to wait for 2 or 3 others and tag along like a sheep. Safety in numbers. You can't stay in another lane and 'flow' with the traffic. Verboten jing jing.

Edited by andrew55

We have all probably seen the blue and white "motorcycles must stay left" signs. I believe these to be cautionary/information signs, not regulatory. I have never found any statute which supports those signs.

Some blue and white signs (white lettering, blue background) are informatory, showing directions to places of interest or maximum speeds by vehicle classification (the latter are a combination of black on white and white on blue). All others though, such as Keep Left, Keep Right, Motorcycles Must Stay Left, Pedal Cycles Only, etc are mandatory (regulatory) - hence the word "MUST".

there was no service road.

I got stopped on the section between Nong Pla Lai prison and Siam Country Club.

... The only place motorcycles are not allowed is tollways in Bangkok, and that is any cc big or small.

Sorry, not true. An example: Bangna Trat Highway, at ground level and not the tollway, is posted and enforced as a no-ride zone. a few scooters running late or using the elevated tollway (who, me...?) as an umbrella in a downpour will occasionally be seen threading through. But the police regularly hide at exits and pull over every unfortunate scooterista that exits there. So I would guess it's all "limited access" highways/expressways with no traffic lights, cross traffic, U-turns that are verboten for bikes. Anybody have the Law link for this?

... The only place motorcycles are not allowed is tollways in Bangkok, and that is any cc big or small.

Sorry, not true. An example: Bangna Trat Highway, at ground level and not the tollway, is posted and enforced as a no-ride zone. a few scooters running late or using the elevated tollway (who, me...?) as an umbrella in a downpour will occasionally be seen threading through. But the police regularly hide at exits and pull over every unfortunate scooterista that exits there. So I would guess it's all "limited access" highways/expressways with no traffic lights, cross traffic, U-turns that are verboten for bikes. Anybody have the Law link for this?

Jesus.. can you read? Bagna trat has a service road at the side. That's where bikes are supposed to be.

there was no service road.

I got stopped on the section between Nong Pla Lai prison and Siam Country Club.

In that case as long as your bike 100cc or over and was registered and you didn't go over an overpass that is restricted...then the BIB screwed you.

Jesus.. can you read? Bagna trat has a service road at the side. That's where bikes are supposed to be.

ScubaBuddha's usually in the know on the blike stuff.

On this occasion I beg to differ, or perhaps I misunderstand.

I believe that the #2 road (not tolled) which is often under the elevated tollway is generally not for bikes where there is a #3 / service / frontage road available. Sure, sure. That makes it inaccurate to say the "only" forbidden roads are tollways. I have no links, but some experience as do you guys.

And settle petals anyway. OP wanted to know about a minimum cc requirement for differently rated roads. Do all agree it makes no difference - excluding the grey rules on school kids which aren't relevant to the question.?

Enjoying the thread but a little suspicious as to it's origin. :jerk: