Minimum Size Of A Motorbike To Drive On Highway?

manarak

Enjoying the thread but a little suspicious as to it's origin. :jerk:

:annoyed: I really don't understand your comment.

I got stopped by a cop pretending small bikes are not allowed on highways.

It was a standard MX nouvo (125cc), and I was on the said portion of Hwy 36.

I wasn't aware of such a regulation, but I wasn't sure either, so I better not arguing with a hwy cop about something I am unsure of.

Couldn't find anything on the net, so I thought I'd ask the forum.

What could be my interest in posting this question here other than getting a definite answer on the regulation?

:huh:

... The only place motorcycles are not allowed is tollways in Bangkok, and that is any cc big or small.

Sorry, not true. An example: Bangna Trat Highway, at ground level and not the tollway, is posted and enforced as a no-ride zone. a few scooters running late or using the elevated tollway (who, me...?) as an umbrella in a downpour will occasionally be seen threading through. But the police regularly hide at exits and pull over every unfortunate scooterista that exits there. So I would guess it's all "limited access" highways/expressways with no traffic lights, cross traffic, U-turns that are verboten for bikes. Anybody have the Law link for this?

Xpressway#4 from Pretchuap to #35 in Samut Sakon is not a tollway, but even has signes prohibiting bikes and 8 wheelers/larger, and frequent checks

... The only place motorcycles are not allowed is tollways in Bangkok, and that is any cc big or small.

Sorry, not true. An example: Bangna Trat Highway, at ground level and not the tollway, is posted and enforced as a no-ride zone. a few scooters running late or using the elevated tollway (who, me...?) as an umbrella in a downpour will occasionally be seen threading through. But the police regularly hide at exits and pull over every unfortunate scooterista that exits there. So I would guess it's all "limited access" highways/expressways with no traffic lights, cross traffic, U-turns that are verboten for bikes. Anybody have the Law link for this?

Xpressway#4 from Pretchuap to #35 in Samut Sakon is not a tollway, but even has signes prohibiting bikes and 8 wheelers/larger, and frequent checks

Thats because it has a service road at the side. where the bikes and 8 wheelers should be

Thats because it has a service road at the side. where the bikes and 8 wheelers should be

yep

yeez, just realised I said Pretchuap, while it should be Petchbury.

#4 in this area is a dual lane Highway in each direction, with an Expressway in the middle. Bikes allowed on Highways, not on Expressways

Enjoying the thread but a little suspicious as to it's origin. :jerk:

:annoyed: I really don't understand your comment.

I got stopped by a cop pretending small bikes are not allowed on highways.

It was a standard MX nouvo (125cc), and I was on the said portion of Hwy 36.

I wasn't aware of such a regulation, but I wasn't sure either, so I better not arguing with a hwy cop about something I am unsure of.

Couldn't find anything on the net, so I thought I'd ask the forum.

What could be my interest in posting this question here other than getting a definite answer on the regulation?

:huh:

:sorry:

Fair comment on your part old mate. Please accept my apology and retraction. With the benefit of hind -sight I was being a smart-arse.

Guess the concensus is that bike size is irrelevant.

I must admit to passing a hundred baht to the constabulary.when I've done nothing wrong except to be born farang (200 if I was in error).. It's easier than going on with it and I know I'm doing good kharma by keeping the copper's mia noi in gold and Honda Jazz's.

Edited by andrew55
  • Like 1

Have you noted the condition of a lot of those service/frontage roads. With all the articulated traffic the road surfaces are often shot to pieces, with waves in the tarmac, potholes everywhere, surface water, etc. Probably all that is missing is black ice. It would be safer to ride on the highway and pay the odd fine every now and then. Also, with those roads being for HGV traffic, it could not be a more dangerous place for motorcycle traffic, especially with the way trucks are driven here.

• 7 years later...
On 8/26/2011 at 4:41 PM, BigBikeBKK said:

The fine for taking a motorcycle onto a TOLL ROAD or other motorway where motorcycles are not allowed is indeed 1000 Baht. I'm not familiar with National Highway 36...

what is the difference between "highway", "motorway", "toll way/road" ??

Is it posible that even a 1000 cc would not be allowed to ride on some of them ?

In French we use the word "autoroute" for all of them, eventually "toll" would be that you have to pay a portion of this "autoroute". 

• 2 years later...
On 8/26/2011 at 7:25 AM, thaicbr said:

Richard.. are you sure about the right lane thing.. I know the police like to use that one but when i took my test all the transport people said after checking the book was that it was for overtaking slower traffic and i had to pull back in as soon as possible..(i also remember a thai newspaper report about this . it was posted here on TV once. but can't find it now) ohh and if there was a service road then i should use that.

Is there any literature to confirm either view.

That is correct, the land traffic act states that Motorcycles (actually all vehicles) must overtake on the right, and then move back into the left lane. 

On 8/27/2011 at 12:17 PM, thaicbr said:

Jesus.. can you read? Bagna trat has a service road at the side. That's where bikes are supposed to be.

From my recollection of driving under BangNa-Trat the "no motorcycle" signs only start coming into town at about Hwy 9 junction. Just saying...

Apart from tollways and motorways, roads that has service roads on the side like Bangna, Vibhavadi and Rama 2 is supposed to be off limit to motorcycles, but good luck catching you if you're in the right lane

also many underpass and overpasses in Bangkok are prohibited too, the old reason seem to be that in the 2-stroke age, motorcycles were too slow to accelerate up them and join traffic safely, quite moot when most 110cc honda waves can do 80-90 easily, only some bridges that has curves on it and low guard rail that's still quite deadly to unskilled rider