Mine accident kills two, traps several in southwest Ghana

News_Editor

Mine accident kills two, traps several in southwest Ghana

2011-08-26 04:24:25 GMT+7 (ICT)

ACCRA (BNO NEWS) -- At least two miners were killed and several others remain trapped after an illegal mining pit collapsed on Thursday in southwest Ghana, local radio station Joy FM reported.

The accident, which occurred in the town of Prestea, 312 kilometers (194 miles) west of Ghana's capital of Accra, was confirmed to Joy FM by the Urban Area Council Chairman Isaac Kamerling.

Explaining the circumstances which may have led to the collapse of the mine, Kamerling said the mine was old and abandoned. Despite this, the victims went into it to scrounge for remnants of gold when the weak walls crumbled, trapping them inside.

Kamerling further stated that rescue work has begun with the help of policemen. However, rescuers are afraid to enter the pit and are using shovels to cautiously dig for the victims.

It was not immediately known how many remain trapped inside the mine. Joy FM said 'several' people are trapped while the Xinhua news agency said 'dozens' are trapped. One injured person has been sent to the Efia Nkwanta Government Hospital, Kamerling added.

In June 2010, around 75 people were killed when heavy rains flooded a mining pit in Akyempem, near Dunkwa-on-Ofin in the Upper Denkyira District of central Ghana. A total of 136 miners were working in the pit when the flooding began.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-08-26