Wreath For House Speaker Sparks Red-Shirt Attack

webfact

As shown today the reds have no interest in reconcilliation. Anyone who has a differing point of view is to be taken care of. Think about the channel 7 reporter. I think you have a highly romanticised view of these people. Maybe playing out you fantasises of being a Che Guevara type fighting the evil rulers. I think you need to wake up and look at what is really happening. Any view that is dissenting of the reds or PTP wiil be taken care of. Think about the cultural revolution.

What is really happening is that every side has engaged in attacks against the media.

Where were those statements by these organizations condemning attacks against the media, when last year Dr. Jirmsak Phinthong has on Channel 11 accused Dan Rivers to have had a sexual relationship with Jakrapop Penkair? Where were these organizations when Dan Rivers received death threats? Where were they when I was in 2008 falsely accused on the PAD stage to have accepted 10 million baht bribes from Thaksin, leading to all sorts of internet and real life threats against me on radical PAD boards? Where were they when the FCCT (Foreign Coressepondents Club of Thailand) was accused of lese majeste, leading to massive threats on royalist web forums against the accused board members, including requests to have their photos and addresses published so that they can be "sorted out"?

How many more examples shall i list? The list is endless.

How about just listing when you or the others mentioned took action to address these alleged events?

Whether or not Nick or anyone else takes action against such attacks on themselves has no bearing on the wrongness of those attacks and the stress, intimidation or loss caused by them. He can prove that they happened. Isn't that enough?

Otherwise, I'd suggest you and other TV radicals launch a class action against the redshirts/PTP for the considerable time you've all lost having to constantly post your remarks against them on this forum. Or maybe its just a hobby, for enjoyment, in which case I would hope - for your sakes - that the redshirt/PTP presence will endure for many years to come. :lol:

Edited by hanuman1

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it is because no such group has come forward to say, yes that was us. More specifically, there is no such legitimate group. ?

So you are saying you know every legitimate group in Thailand?

Thanks for the insight.

Whether there is or is not is, of course, less important to the aspect that they were assaulted by a group of self-appointed enforcers, the so-called democracy fighters, for doing less than they were doing to display their opinion.

conveniently unquote his question to you and then ignore it...

:whistling:

begin removed ...

When i see the usual suspects here decide to stop obfuscating the violence committed the Yellow Shirts and their factions, and of Look Nong of certain Democrat party figures, or of the military, then i may take their "moral outrage" displayed here over the violence of the Red Shirts as something that is not just a cheap attempt of propaganda for one side of this conflict.

Well, since it's a bit late to undo what was done a few years ago, we might now really start with reconciliation. No cheap attempt at propaganda, just realising that a bunch of protesters fighting for democracy seem to have either lost faith or their way. If a bunch of any-colour-shirts would put a wreath at k. Prem's doorstep and were attacked by yellow-shirts I'd say the same.

So, let me concluded this sometimes unbelievable discussion with "don't look cockeyed, some may not like it" <_<

As shown today the reds have no interest in reconcilliation. Anyone who has a differing point of view is to be taken care of. Think about the channel 7 reporter. I think you have a highly romanticised view of these people. Maybe playing out you fantasises of being a Che Guevara type fighting the evil rulers. I think you need to wake up and look at what is really happening. Any view that is dissenting of the reds or PTP wiil be taken care of. Think about the cultural revolution.

What is really happening is that every side has engaged in attacks against the media.

Where were those statements by these organizations condemning attacks against the media, when last year Dr. Jirmsak Phinthong has on Channel 11 accused Dan Rivers to have had a sexual relationship with Jakrapop Penkair? Where were these organizations when Dan Rivers received death threats? Where were they when I was in 2008 falsely accused on the PAD stage to have accepted 10 million baht bribes from Thaksin, leading to all sorts of internet and real life threats against me on radical PAD boards? Where were they when the FCCT (Foreign Coressepondents Club of Thailand) was accused of lese majeste, leading to massive threats on royalist web forums against the accused board members, including requests to have their photos and addresses published so that they can be "sorted out"?

How about just listing when you or the others mentioned took action to address these alleged events?

these events are not "alleged"

Edited by tlansford

So show some details to convince.

Just because there have been other threats (which should not have happened and should have been thoroughly investigated and appropriate punishment given) doesn't mean it's OK again.

Why then do you and others seek to avoid the obvious that these were 2 chaps intent on causing trouble.?

1) It's not obvious. Possible, yes. Obvious, no. Had they started shouting, started throwing, started gesticulating etc, this would be obvious intent. Laying a wreath is laying a wreath, not declaring all out war.

2) It doesn't matter anyway. If a woman wears a short dress intent on causing sexual arousal, does that mean men are within their rights to act out their feelings on that woman?

Why then do you and others seek to avoid the obvious that these were 2 chaps intent on causing trouble.?

1) It's not obvious. Possible, yes. Obvious, no. Had they started shouting, started throwing, started gesticulating etc, this would be obvious intent. Laying a wreath is laying a wreath, not declaring all out war.

2) It doesn't matter anyway. If a woman wears a short dress intent on causing sexual arousal, does that mean men are within their rights to act out their feelings on that woman?

Re 2: Call her harlot and stone her you mean ;)

Well, one of these " alleged events " provoked much discussion on this very forum. It was posted by a certain "sriracha john" on the 1st July 2009 and is entitled Lese Majeste Complaint Filed Against The Foreign Correspondents Club Of Thailand

It can be found here,

http://www.thaivisa....ub-of-thailand/

So show some details to convince.

Just because there have been other threats (which should not have happened and should have been thoroughly investigated and appropriate punishment given) doesn't mean it's OK again.

regarding the threats, I believe that Nick's point and your point amount to the same thing.

regarding details to convince, I'm not your wiki, dude. Your state of being well-informed is your own personal responsibility.

Well, one of these " alleged events " provoked much discussion on this very forum. It was posted by a certain "sriracha john" on the 1st July 2009 and is entitled Lese Majeste Complaint Filed Against The Foreign Correspondents Club Of Thailand

It can be found here,

Funny how so often the people making badly hidden insinuations about old members, refer back to a time when they themselves were not members.

One can only hope that the final stages will not be long in coming but I have to admit, if the viewpoints of some of the posters on here are taken as a microcosm of the Thai populaces thinking (though hopefully it is far, far away from being as nihilistic as that) the Reconstruction (read Reconcilliation) Stage is going to the toughest one to crack.........................

Thanks, and very interesting thoughts.

I often wonder about the extreme emotional involvement (and resulting extreme reaction to people that present a different view than theirs) of the mostly foreign posters here over this purely Thai socio-political conflict. I have difficulties to understand this.

Me, personally - i am glad that we finally had elections here, and that the result has so far been accepted by Thai society, and therefore giving a shimmer of hope that at least for some time things can remain relatively calm. If the Democrats would have won - it would not make much difference to me other that my long held theories on the political views of Thais would have been wrong and that i would have had to re-evaluate my analyses.

Why is it so difficult to for some to accept that Thais have made their own choice over who will govern their country?

The era of colonialism is over, the cold war is over, and it is bloody time that citizens of non-western countries are allowed as well to make their choice in how and by whom they want to be governed without being belittled as "stupid" or "uneducated" when they have chosen differently than some westerners or unelected local institutions such as the military would have hoped for.

Just beats me...

I really don't think many people refuse to "accept that Thais have made their own choice". I think many do subjectively opine that the Thais made an error of judgement and I think that many worry the views of the largest-by-far minority (i.e. those that voted PTP) might silence the views of the other minorities in contradiction to democratic values... but not accept it, they have not. I can't speak for others, but that's the way I feel anyway.

That does not (and should not) mean we can't object to ridiculous abuses of power, whether they manifest as politically-linked individuals silencing their critics "in the interests of democracy" (the Thaksin- and Abhisit-led governments are both easy examples of this, as is every Thai protest group) or systematically suppressing the rural poor (and I think that both the traditional "amataya" and the more recent "nouveau riche" are very guilty of this).

They should have done something more subtle and less confrontational, like dumping buckets of blood on the PMs house.

That was actually very funny! But reconciliation is only achievable after finger-pointing has been discarded and those who did wrong say, "I did it, I thought I was right, maybe I wasn't - it won't happen again". All of the many different sides need to step back and think about the consequences of their actions. phiphidon in my first quoted post refers to the 7 stages of reconciliation, goes on to talk about the 3rd stage of "anger" where he thinks we're currently at, but his reaction to the anger is more anger - and many pro-PT posters here actually angrily protagonise anger! So it would be nice to see his logic applied evenly.

The letter of the Law and the values of democracy say that these two guys had every right to do what they did, regardless of their motive. And was that motive to piss off the Red Shirts and end up making them look bad; or was it to remind the newly-elected government that their popular mandate doesn't represent everyone and perhaps it should moreso?

But the consequences of their actions do cause further division, as do those of the Red Shirts' continuing protests. If a Democrat MP was present and paying (?) them, I think Peua Thai would do well to chastise them for it in parliament and ask them to discontinue such activities in the interests of reconciliation. Meanwhile the pro-PT media, including the UDD, will undoubtedly spin this as what some posters here are doing - that Peua Thai want reconciliation and the Democrats don't - which is non-reconciliatory.

It can be found here,

Funny how so often the people making badly hidden insinuations about old members, refer back to a time when they themselves were not members.

Not sure where that come from, but to keep you amused I'll go with it but will exploit a slight hole in your theory. Say in a hypothetical sense, an old member wished to forget the past and be born again and that it is possible to do so. If it is possible for one person to do so, it follows that another person could do so as well, so how could you tell they were not members then?

I wouldn't bother checking, I'm the genuine, one time only, kiddy and I'm here all week. It's all about style...............

That does not (and should not) mean we can't object to ridiculous abuses of power, whether they manifest as politically-linked individuals silencing their critics "in the interests of democracy" (the Thaksin- and Abhisit-led governments are both easy examples of this, as is every Thai protest group) or systematically suppressing the rural poor (and I think that both the traditional "amataya" and the more recent "nouveau riche" are very guilty of this).

The letter of the Law and the values of democracy say that these two guys had every right to do what they did, regardless of their motive. And was that motive to piss off the Red Shirts and end up making them look bad; or was it to remind the newly-elected government that their popular mandate doesn't represent everyone and perhaps it should moreso?

But the consequences of their actions do cause further division, as do those of the Red Shirts' continuing protests. If a Democrat MP was present and paying (?) them, I think Peua Thai would do well to chastise them for it in parliament and ask them to discontinue such activities in the interests of reconciliation. Meanwhile the pro-PT media, including the UDD, will undoubtedly spin this as what some posters here are doing - that Peua Thai want reconciliation and the Democrats don't - which is non-reconciliatory.

Thanks returned - i wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments expressed in your post.

Reconciliation is a difficult thing when the larger conflict is still not solved. Elections did not solve the structural issues the wider conflict is about - they just changed the government that works under the same structures over how to reform or change the different sides so bitterly fight over.

By the way - a very brilliant study has recently been presented over the blood incident:

Ritualizing Identity-Based Political Movement:

Challenging Thailand's Political Legitimacy through Blood-Sacrificing Rituals

by Salisa Yuktanan

begin removed ...

When i see the usual suspects here decide to stop obfuscating the violence committed the Yellow Shirts and their factions, and of Look Nong of certain Democrat party figures, or of the military, then i may take their "moral outrage" displayed here over the violence of the Red Shirts as something that is not just a cheap attempt of propaganda for one side of this conflict.

Well, since it's a bit late to undo what was done a few years ago, we might now really start with reconciliation. No cheap attempt at propaganda, just realising that a bunch of protesters fighting for democracy seem to have either lost faith or their way. If a bunch of any-colour-shirts would put a wreath at k. Prem's doorstep and were attacked by yellow-shirts I'd say the same.

So, let me concluded this sometimes unbelievable discussion with "don't look cockeyed, some may not like it" <_<

Still obfuscating and skirting around.

Nobody has asked you to do or do undo something - just to acknowledge that every side has engaged in mob-violence, for the sake of an even and balanced discussion here instead of allowing this to turn into another ThaiVisa propaganda fight in which the ones that shout loudest remain, and everybody else leaves the room out of boredom.

Thanks returned - i wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments expressed in your post.

Reconciliation is a difficult thing when the larger conflict is still not solved. Elections did not solve the structural issues the wider conflict is about - they just changed the government that works under the same structures over how to reform or change the different sides so bitterly fight over.

By the way - a very brilliant study has recently been presented over the blood incident:

by Salisa Yuktanan

Brilliant study?

Do you believe really?

May be centuries ago, but nowadays?

Brilliant study?

Do you believe really?

You read it?

Great.

Lets discuss it then - why do you think the study is not good?

No, no need to read it.

I know about these voodoo rituals too much.

The reds made a ceremony in my Buddhist Wat (Buddhadasa branch) where I have been ordained 22 years ago. Esarn ritual, killing an animal, burning photos of their enemies.

No justification possible, maybe in Haiti.

My background is Georges Devereux (Ethnopsychoanalysis) and Mircea Eliade (and others). The author of your study know them? Then we can discuss.

by Salisa Yuktanan

Ok, I'll bite: I've tried googling this, and can't find it. Where can I read this study?

This is just the beginning, folks. Wait til Thaksin is back. The dissapearing will begin.

If Thaksin is smart enough,which he is in my opinion, he will stay away from Thailand as I have the feeling that he will not live long enough to enjoy his victory.

Unfortunately his ego will block him from being smart.

I hope he wouldn't. About time he has a cold plate of karma.

by Salisa Yuktanan

Ok, I'll bite: I've tried googling this, and can't find it. Where can I read this study?

I don't think that i am allowed to post the study here - it is copyrighted. Maybe if you contact Thammasat University?

It is a very interesting read, and worth the effort.

Brilliant study?

Do you believe really?

You read it?

Great.

Lets discuss it then - why do you think the study is not good?

No, no need to read it.

I know about these voodoo rituals too much.

The reds made a ceremony in my Buddhist Wat (Buddhadasa branch) where I have been ordained 22 years ago. Esarn ritual, killing an animal, burning photos of their enemies.

No justification possible, maybe in Haiti.

My background is Georges Devereux (Ethnopsychoanalysis) and Mircea Eliade (and others). The author of your study know them? Then we can discuss.

Psychoanalysis ... :rolleyes:

Whether or not Nick or anyone else takes action against such attacks on themselves has no bearing on the wrongness of those attacks and the stress, intimidation or loss caused by them. He can prove that they happened. Isn't that enough?

He can prove they occurred... by pressing charges.

No, it is because no such group has come forward to say, yes that was us. More specifically, there is no such legitimate group. ?

So you are saying you know every legitimate group in Thailand?

Thanks for the insight.

Whether there is or is not is, of course, less important to the aspect that they were assaulted by a group of self-appointed enforcers, the so-called democracy fighters, for doing less than they were doing to display their opinion.

conveniently unquote his question to you and then ignore it...

:whistling:

He conveniently provided.... no proof to which he made a declarative statement.

until such time as action are taken upon them, they remain alleged.

until such time as independent corroboration occurs, they remain alleged.

It can be found here,

I agree that that one incident out of the 4 described has gotten legs (apologize for not omitting it).

That remains the other 3 unverified, especially the one involving the writer.

I decided not to press charges at the time as i preferred to continue working on the ground.

The speeches caused me enough grief, pressing charges would have caused me far more. The Thai state is also not very forthcoming on providing protection against people in danger, and so i decided for the safest solution - to let it slip.

It can be found here,

It's Thaivisa.

I decided not to press charges at the time as i preferred to continue working on the ground.

The speeches caused me enough grief, pressing charges would have caused me far more. The Thai state is also not very forthcoming on providing protection against people in danger, and so i decided for the safest solution - to let it slip.

To not press charges is certainly your right and privilege, but you have to realize the consequences of doing so lends credence to the belief that they never occurred. Whether that is just or not is immaterial as the only way to establish the occurence was real was to press charges and have corroboration of its occurrence.